TVLine Items: Taylor Swift to The Voice, Jennifer Falls Cancelled and More

The Voice - Season 7

The Voice is about to receive a Swift kick to its Knockout regions.

It’s less painful than it sounds, though. Putting it more plainly, country-pop sensation Taylor Swift will serve as the sole adviser for all four teams during the NBC singing competition’s Season 7 Knockout Rounds, the network announced today.

RELATED John Francis Daley Opens Up About Sweets’ Shocking Bones Exit: ‘I Feel Like I Lost a Part of Me’

Swift’s episodes are scheduled to air Oct., 27 and 28 and Nov. 3 (8/7c), where she’ll meet with the remaining contestants on Teams Blake, Gwen, Pharrell and Adam — and offer them advice on “vocal technique, stage presence and the importance of tailoring songs to fit their personalities and strengths.”

In the Knockout Rounds, the coaches will cut their teams in half in head-to-head battles; each coach will have a chance for one final “Steal” heading into the live playoffs.

RELATED How to Get Away With Murder Recap: It’s a Stab, Stab, Stab, Stab World

Is your stomach growling for more tasty morsels of TV news? Well…

* TV Land has cancelled its Jaime Pressly-fronted sitcom Jennifer Falls after one season.

* Grab the smelling salts for some swoon-inducing casting news: Thor‘s Tom Hiddleston and House‘s Hugh Laurie are attached to a TV adaptation of John le Carre’s The Night Manager, according to The Hollywood Reporter. BBC will air the series across the pond, while multiple U.S. networks are eyeing it for a straight-to-series pickup stateside.

* Can Elizabeth Perkins get away with murder? An informal jury poll says “probably,” since the Weeds actress is set to guest star as a client of Viola Davis’ powerhouse Annalise Keating on the Oct. 16 episode of ABC’s How to Get Away With Murder, according to EW.com.

* BATTEN DOWN THE HATCHES! Season 2 of Starz’ Black Sails will debut Saturday, Jan. 24 at 9/8c.

* Bang your gavel if you’ll want “order in the living room!” on Thursday nights, now that The Office‘s Angela Kinsey has landed a recurring role as Kate Walsh’s childhood friend on NBC’s Bad Judge. EW.com reports that Kinsey’s character, Michelle Wagoner, is a recently divorced dental hygienist.

* Showtime has unveiled the main title sequence for its new drama The Affair (premiering Oct. 12,) featuring a new original song, “Container,” written and performed by Fiona Apple. Listen to it below!

1. dj says:

I hope the show is better than the song. Thanks heavens for fast forward buttons

2. laurelnev says:

I actually liked Jennifer Falls (and Happily Divorced.) TVLand screws around too much with time slots/run dates, so good shows fall through the cracks. Too often, I’d expect to see an ep, and instead, tune in to another King of Queens rerun!

• Some chick says:

Kirstie is another one. I am just going to stop bothering with anything on their channel.

• laurelnev says:

I was not a big Kristie fan. I thought a cast that fantastic needed a better script to work from. Although I LOVED the Hot/Kristie crossover.

Retired at 30 was funny as well. Hope they give the Exes another season. It seems like what they pair with Hot does better.

• Carm says:

I liked Jennifer Falls too. Had a feeling it would be cancelled though. That sucks.

• ChrisGa says:

There were parts of Jennifer Falls that I enjoyed, specifically Jamie Pressly, Missi Pyle and especially Jessica Walter. However, wasn’t a big fan of the brother and sister-in-law characters.

3. maggie says:

Hugh Laurie and Tom Hiddleston together in a TV show is something that deserves its own story, and not just a mention buried in this article.

4. abz says:

I hope The Voice doesn’t do the ridiculous double Battle rounds thing they did last season. It’s such a waste of time. Do the Battle Round and the Knockout Round and then head straight into the live show.
    I love The Voice, but I hate it at the same time because in the end its all about money over quality. They zoom through the live show rounds and kick off multiple people each week so that they can fit another season during the year. It’s may be part of the reason why it hasn’t produced an AI-like star because people are gone too fast for them to be remembered. I had to look up who won the last season because I forgot his name even though I remember liking him.

5. Rebecca says:

I liked Jennifer Falls…that stinks!

6. Ron says:

Shouldn’t someone give Taylor Swift advice on voice technique before she tries to tell someone else about their voice? I mean, really, she does not have a good voice at all!

• gracelessk says:

If she’s giving performance advice, which is what Chris Martin primarily did last year, they’re in good hands. Whether you like her voice or not, the girl knows how to put on a show.

• Shelley says:

I don’t think so. No. IMO, her show is not good. I’ve seen one. She makes a lot of money, but, I think she can’t sing. I’m not impressed with The Voice choosing her to mentor. Adele would be an excellent choice.

• Bob says:

Success is really about more than just “The Voice.” If she can advise the contestants to make the most of whatever they have, she will be a great mentor. Like it or not, she is successful and I would not be surprised if she has some good advice.

• Jill Moy says:

RIGHT ON!

She’s a no-talent bimbo.

7. Lauren says:

Ooooh I love Elizabeth Perkins, I haven’t seen her since Weeds. Excited for her ep.

8. skell says:

Get your slimey monkey hands off Taylor !