Matt's Inside Line: Scoop on Arrow, Supernatural, Once, Fosters, Chi Fire, Reign, Shameless, Gotham and More

Once Upon Time Rumple Sorcerer's Hat

Will a magical hat put a lid on a Once Upon a Time romance? Who is Supernatural‘s supervillain? What is in Arrow‘s arsenal? How will The Fosters celebrate Christmas? Read on for answers to those questions plus teases from other shows.

Do you have any scoop on Once Upon a Time‘s Belle? The appearance of what appears to be The Sorcerer’s Hat from Fantasia has some worried that Rumplestiltskin may again keep secrets from her. –Natalie
Those “some” would be wise to worry. “Rumple certainly seemed to recognize the hat when he saw it. And he certainly seemed to think it was quite important,” cocreator Adam Horowitz teases. “What it is, and why he desires it become important to the story in the near future.” Now, if it cleans your palate any, Robert Carlyle promises that the Belle-centric Episode 6 should be a huge fan-pleaser: “Anyone that loves that [Rumbelle] relationship will really enjoy those scenes.”

While I love Once Upon a Time‘s Hook/Emma, do you have any scoop on what’s in-store for our favorite pirate this season outside of romance? I hear he has some conflict with the Knave. –Stef
You heard right. As Michael Socha says of his onetime Merry Man, “He’s a thief and a drunk, so he pisses a few people off” upon arriving in Storybrooke. “He gets locked up. He gets put in jail. He’s naughty. He’s always up to something.” As for the Knave/Hook dynamic, Colin O’Donoghue simply says: “It’s complicated. And I’m going to leave it at that.”

RELATED Once Upon a Time: Jennifer Morrison Talks Bonding With Elsa, Dealing With Regina, Adventures in Dating Hook and More

Have you any information on The Fosters‘ Christmas episode? –Tricia
You-know-what has come early for you, Tricia! I can tell you that as Callie and Jude spend their first Christmas with the Fosters, Stef feels that Grandma Sharon is a bit excessive with her gift giving — especially when she learns where the money is coming from. Meanwhile, Lena must face her bias against a family member.

Should Elementary fans be worried about its late start, on Oct. 30? Does this mean the season won’t be as long? –Craig
Worry not — I am hearing that this season has not in any way been slashed, and will run “at least 20” episodes, maybe more.

Who will be the Big Bad of Supernatural Season 10? –Tom
Would you believe it’s… Sam and Dean? As the Winchesters battle their inner demons — literal and figurative — the show “be introducing, over the course of the season, characters that are very, very, very personal to our main characters,” executive producer Jeremy Carver previews, “and that’s all going to start to snowball into, ‘You are who you are,’ and having to deal with all this and drawing some lines. Of course, there’ll be Bigger Bads that emerge, but the central focus of the season is really on these personal arcs.” BONUS SCOOP: Carver reveals, “You will most definitely see Charlie’s (played by Felicia Day) return from Oz.”

RELATED Arrow Recruits Spartacus Star as Captain Boomerang in Season 3

Any Arrow scoop that is Roy Harper-related? –Andrew
Showrunner Marc Guggenheim says that Roy is more a member of Team Arrow than ever, and not just because he’s got a mod new Arsenal outfit. “He’s really present and a member of this group, so the trio becomes a quartet,” Guggenheim explains. “And that’s definitely true in Episode 6, [which] is a very Roy-centric episode. It speaks, in some ways, to Episode 212 [‘Tremors,’ in which Oliver trained his padawan]. I wouldn’t call it a sequel, but they’re thematically related.” All told, the EP says, “What you see in Season 3 is a much more mentor/mentee, master/apprentice relationship. You really see how Oliver is training this kid to be a hero in his own right.”

Any scoop on Arrow‘s Olicity? –Lindsay
The reason behind these angsty Episode 2 photos will be revealed much sooner than you think.

Please tell me you have some scoop on Chicago Fire? – Quanita
It looks like Casey could be bound for Chicago P.D. to hash out his issues with Voight. Executive producer Matt Olmstead tells us that a visit from the firefighter is being targeted for the back nine of this season. “It all started with Voight almost losing his mind, trying to convince Casey not to get his own son jammed up, and obviously [he] went too far, apologized for it, copped to it, but Casey’s never going to forgive that,” the EP says. “That day’s coming [where they cross paths]. I’m not quite sure what it’s going to be, but it’ll be powerful.”

What are the chances Severide’s sister Katie will come back to help her brother, and of course Otis, in the aftermath of that Chicago Fire finale? –Kathryn
When presented with your Q, EP Matt Olmstead said there are “no plans, but that’s a very good idea…. We’ll explore it in the back nine of the season.”

RELATED Who’s In? Who’s Out? Your Guide to 100+ Fall TV Casting Moves

Any scoop on Gotham‘s Riddler? –Mason
Given he’s rather mild-mannered (if quirky) thus far, I asked Cory Michael Smith what might ultimately steer Edward Nigma toward his villainous destiny. “He is incredibly well-intentioned… but he’s a little misunderstood and mistreated. He’s certainly abused by Harvey Bullock,” the actor shared. “He’s a brilliant guy who doesn’t have much power but thinks he deserves it, so when he finally starts to taste it, he’ll want more.”

Do you have any Reign news you can divulge? –Cindy
In surveying Francis’ Season 2 journey, EP Laurie McCarthy told us he isn’t about to subject his own child to the life he had growing up under King Henry’s stern thumb. “Francis will have a chance to do it differently with his child by Lola, but it is going to pull him and Mary apart, among other things,” she said. “And they will, in fact, be drawn to others. But whether they’ll give into that temptation or not is anyone’s guess.”

I love Nashville and would like to see a Daphne-centered episode. This season’s been all about big sis, how about little sis? –Matt
If only because we share a name… I dug around and found out that in Episode 5, Daphne will start acting a little “entitled,” and then in Episode 6 she clashes with her big sis in a big way.

Any indication on the fate of USA’s Playing House? –Gemini
None yet, though its absence from this week’s renew/cancel announcements perhaps does not bode well. But if you’re missing Jessica St. Clair, know that she will guest-star on the new NBC comedy Marry Me as a nemesis for Casey Wilson’s Annie, playing a young, Pilates-obsessed mom who knows how to make Annie feel inferior. (Also due to drop by Marry Me is Stephen Guarino aka Happy Endings‘ dramaaaaa-tic Derrick, playing “one of Chicago’s most fabulous gay men.”)

I loved, loved, loved the Star Wars Rebels premiere! I was wondering if there was any word on if Rae Sloane from the prequel novel A New Dawn might pop up this season? –Ryan
Sorry, I am, mmm, but no amount of Jedi mind tricks could procure intel from Disney XD. Outside of Artoo, Threepio and Obi-Wan Kenobi (via hologram), they’re not letting slip with any other cameos from film or novel canon.

Any Shameless scoop? Particularly one involving Ian and/or Mickey? –Sam
Be careful what you wish for, Sam. As Season 5 unfolds, it looks like Ian is on meds for his bipolar disorder — and it’s affecting his libido. Mickey, as his “caretaker,” is treating him with kid gloves. But for how long?

Real questions, real answers. If you need the Inside Line on a favorite show, email InsideLine@tvline.com(With reporting by Vlada Gelman and Andy Swift)

1. Nav says:

I also love Emma & Hook
    Will be interesting to see what happens if Knave is like how he is described…. and probably winds up Hook.

2. Len84 says:

I love Hook and Emma
    I’m always excited to hear Hook news, i love him
    I don’t know about Knave but my fave bromance is Hook and Charming :)

So far also liking Gotham

3. Chad Smith says:

4. Mary says:

Why do so many ask about the worst written and most boring character on the show and his forced relationship with Emma?

• Moment says:

You’re not talking about Hook are you? Surely not. He’s fun.

• Jess says:

Leeroy is more fun than Hook is. The only reason Hook is still there is to give Emma a love interest.

• Len84 says:

This Mary person seems to hijack any Hook spoiler with the SAME comments, and all i do is laugh at her lol..Dont worry about it!

• Moment says:

Oh okay thanks, it’s a shame some people don’t like him.

• Addie says:

Oh yeah because the first two comments on this post (one of them yours apparently) totally sound like they’re from different people

• abz says:

LOL I always laugh too when I read her comments. She seems so bitter about it all the time. He barely took up 2-3 minutes of screen time last episode. The lady seriously needs to find one of the MANY other aspects of the show to like and stick to it or just quit.

• Jess says:

Right? He was interesting when he first arrived but now he’s gotten pointless. The only reason he’s with Emma is because some of the fans like him with her. They don’t make sense at all. He should’ve either ended up with Regina or been written off after Neverland. Neal should’ve been the one to bring her back to Storybrooke. Hook has no purpose.

• Len84 says:

Ok thanks for letting me that i guess *still wondering why the hell comments like these are needed or purpose* lol
        Buy hey as i said i like Hook.. and i like Hook/Emma since the beanstalk episode and all the way through season 3 :)

• Len84 says:

*know that

• Joey says:

So earlier you’re complaining that Mary always complains about Emma/Hook, and you’re wondering why she does that, so why do you feel the need to comment on every Emma/Hook story with how much you love the couple? It’s a two-way street. If you’re allowed to talk about how great they are, she’s perfectly within her rights to complain about them.

• Moment says:

And equally she’s entitled to voice her disapproval of those detracting from characters she loves. From there it gets a bit silly. I’m just surprised someone dislikes such a great character, played by an equally great actor. I hope he remains on the show for many more years.

• Letti says:

I’m also not so keen on Hook right now. In season 2 I loved him, but he kind of became pointless in season 3. I thought he was going to have a big arc in the Neverland chapter but nope. And I don’t like the way he was transformed to be such a good guy. The truth is that I wanted Neal to end up with Emma, or at least get a happy ending, but the writers killed him, so they can fulfill the wish of fans and get CaptainSwann together. I feel some people only like Hook because he’s hot. Unfortunately I don’t find him interesting anymore.

• Sarah Stroud says:

Jess if you’re reading this, I honestly want to know if you even watch the show. Please weigh your comments more carefully in the future, before insulting the intelligence, and the value of fans who appreciate the characters which mean so much to them. Claiming Hook has no purpose is a display of lacking foresight, and imagination, not to mention you have no idea as to where the writers of Once Upon A Time plan to take the show. Hook’s past still has tons of material for present and future story lines, well as lots of potential. Hook is a ratings getter, and I am one who watches Once Upon A Time *because* of Captain Hook. I am not able to poll every Colin O’Donoghue fan out there, but as for myself, I would lose my interest in the show without him

• Rick says:

Totally disagree, Hook is one of the only reasons I’m watching this tired show still.

• Freddie says:

He’s a great character, i like his backstory and his on going story and development with Emma, and in himself :)

• cdhaskell says:

I love the way Hook went from being one of the bad guy to becoming one of the good guy in one season. I can’t wait to see what happened in the new season. I wish that the writer will bring back Peter Pan as a good guy this time.

• Kim Hansen says:

I really like Hook but I think he and Emma should have remained friends or something. I loved EmmaxBaelfire/Neal. Hook an Emma have more of a friends relationship. Or friends-with-benefits. I don’t know.

• JR1 says:

@Mary – Because MANY ppl like Hook, and Emma/Hook, pretty obvious as always!!!!!!!!!
      seeing as you know and still comment on it each time which i assume you do with the constant SAME comment LOL

• Gene says:

I couldn’t agree more. Hook’s not much of a character. He comes across as some forced writing plot to give Emma a love life. The show tries to play up his good looks and tries to give him charm, but I find it completely useless in most scenes, aside from being the eye candy.

• cdhaskell says:

The actor make the character hook come alive.It is the reason why he became a regular on the show.

• Katie says:

Uh no, he was made a regular before he’d even filmed. Not that I have any problem with Colin at all, I just don’t like Hook (I mean, he didn’t even have to answer for attempting to send Eric to his death)

• Daisy says:

Mary I agree with the “Forced with Emma” BUT, not with the other comment about the “boring” or “worst” questions. I l LOVE the Rumbelle relationship!! :) <3

5. Remy says:

Any word whether Once Upon a Time in Wonderland will be added to Netflix? I would really like to find about more about the Knave.

• Moment says:

I’m shocked ABC still hasn’t made the effort to release it on DVD/BD, I don’t think it deserves to be ignored. It’s a great series that had a poor timeslot, it could have done better if it was aired on Sunday like the network originally planned.

6. It'sDelovely says:

Thanks (as always) for the Rumbelle scoop, Matt! Can’t wait for Belle’s centric!

7. Freddie says:

Gotham show is surprisingly really good.
    I thought Belle’s centric was episode 5?
    I do love Emma/Hook. And my fave male character is Hook – But i dont know if i like Will Scarlett is it that is Knave? Im kinda indifferent him yet, i only managed to see like one episode of Wonderland

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Nope, 406. Confirmed.

• Rebecca says:

Thanks for the Belle scoop! But do u have any *NEW* info about BELLE that doesn’t come back to Rumple/dagger/magic hat? I would like to hear what she’s doing in Storybrooke will she have scenes with Henry or finally open the library?

• Moment says:

I like to see the Knave as a good guy who has made a few bad choices in life.

• abz says:

He was a great character and part of what made Wonderland fun and interesting to watch. I’m eager to see how they incorporate him into Storybrooke.

8. Drew says:

Bummed to hear that Charlie will be coming back to Supernatural. There are so many better characters. She is annoying.
    But I do like the idea of them fighting their demons. The brothers have been playing with angels and demons for so long, it’s time that they came to terms with the results of this and reclaim their humanity a little.

• Rick says:

Personally, I love the angels and demons on Supernatural. If they hadn’t been focused on so much over the years, the show would have ended seasons ago.

• tia says:

ummm no-The demon story carries the show-Its been around since season 1- as for the angel story-most agree its been boring and redundant. Cas is a waste. He should of been gone after s5 or at the latest s6. Most people watch this show for the Dean/Sam stories- Jensen and Jared carry the show. If the show was left with just Cas and/or Crowley the show would have died long ago.

• Joey says:

So sayeth one person. Wow, I never knew that anecdotes were picture-perfect proof.

• Katie says:

All you people still whining because Dean’s connected to someone other than Sam – Cas is who I’m talking about – really need to get over it already. You realize it’s been SIX YEARS since he’s been introduced. He’s not going anywhere, and constantly whining about something that very clearly isn’t going to change (since Carver himself said the reason the show is so strong, aside from Dean and Sam, is Castiel) just makes you seem childish and unable to let go. The show evolved SIX YEARS AGO, and turning the comment thread here into more negativity is exhausting. TPTB are not going to change a setup that has been going strong for years. People always talk about season 7 nearly killing the show, and the angels didn’t have much of a presence at all then, which, I’m sure, was probably all the reassurance they needed that Supernatural is better with the angels being involved in some capacity, especially Castiel.

• Kara says:

Ymmv. I find the Angels storylines, including Cass, lacking. Now their repetitive corporate cardboard cutouts, I don’t even remember most of their names the last couple of seasons. And let not bring up Metatron, what a disappointing character.

To me the Demons storyline has carried the show, from yellow eyes, Meg, Ruby, Crowley, and Abaddon, all memorable and much more interesting characters.

But let’s give credit where credit is due, without Jared and Jensen as Sam and Dean there would be no Supernatural. They are behind 200 + episodes, 10 + years of Supernaturals success.

• The Doctor says:

If you don’t like him that much, I’ll have you know he’s not going to be in the 200th episode.

• ninamags says:

I totally agree with you, Tia. It is the Sam and Dean show. Only.

The angel storyline got old years ago. It’s so boring. All the angels look pathetic, useless, weak and incapable of independent thought. Metatron was an especially moronic a-hole who killed Dean!

Demons have always been the best at carrying the stories forward.

So glad Charlie is coming back! 😀

• The Doctor says:

The angels have been used for so long for a story line, I just want Metadouche DEAD. However, I do like the demons road. It’s been awhile since we’ve focused solely on that. And I’m excited for Charlie, she’s pretty awesome.

9. Natalie says:

thank you for the rumbelle scoop! can’t wait for the Belle-centric!

10. I am glad that the Riddler isn’t in his Riddler mold but an average citizen. It will allow the writer to developed the character before he became the famous person in the Batman Rogue Gallery. I can’t wait to see the future episode will bring forth.

11. albertj15 says:

BRING BACK LONGMIRE!!!!!

12. Rick says:

RE: Supernatural, the show will “be introducing, over the course of the season, characters that are very, very, very personal to our main characters,” executive producer Jeremy Carver previews.

Wonder who that could be? Carver confirmed earlier this summer that the boys won’t be getting any longterm love interests (thank god, this is not a show I watch for romance), so I’m wondering if it’s old family, old friends, etc? As long as they don’t try to force any romantic relationships, I’m okay with whatever they want. I’ll watch as long as Dean, Sam, and Cas are still on my tv every week!

13. Ian says:

Hasnt Francis has enough bed partners? He’s already gota child by another woman. I think Mary’s a little entitled to a tryst. Francis needs to keep it in his pants.

• tp says:

Well now that they’re married a tryst on either part is not wanted. It seems like Laurie M is doing the wrong promotion for this show. No one wants to see Francis and Mary grow close to someone else and be pulled apart. Let;s not even talk about the baby with Mary’s worst friend ever.

14. JR1 says:

Thanks Matt
    I LOVE HOOK!!! Got to show the love here as always :)
    I really wanted Hook to have been to Arendelle.. i mean you would think he would of sailed to that part of land in his lifetime

15. Joanie says:

Charlie’s coming back from Oz? Dang. I was hoping she’d be happy with the munchkins and stay there.

16. Rick says:

So glad to hear Felicia Day is coming back as Charlie – she’s such a fun character, and she has great chemistry with the boys. I really need her to meet Cas, though! The four of them need to have another Game of Thrones marathon, I think.

17. Scotty says:

So new characters we’ve never even heard of that are suddenly “very, very, very personal” to Sam and Dean or Carver’s crappy creations like Amelia? Because everyone else fans care about have been killed off.

18. Claire says:

“so the trio becomes a quartet” — I am fine with Roy joining and am looking forward to the interaction in the lair and in the action. I was looking forward to it last season as well, but all of sudden Roy disappeared after shaking hands with the original team. What I don’t want is for him to usurp Diggle’s place — Diggle is irreplaceable and much loved.
    That being said, I am looking forward to Roy banter with Felicity, Oliver and Diggle. And hopefully soon, Thea as well. Now if we can only get Sin to return — these are the characters that make the show tick. (Barrowman and Quentin too ;) )

• Jason says:

Sin won’t be back for a while. The actress is playing T.Ruble on Grimm for the foreseeable future. Though she might guest 1 or 2 because of Sara dying.
      As for Supernatural Cass kicks major butt, but yeah the angel crap has gotten old and a little boring. I’m hoping they’re still around because the writers need them for Yellow-eyes’ true end game. Yes I believe his plan wasn’t stopped just delayed, or possibly going according to the way he truly wanted it to. What other reason is there for Meg’s continued existence? How many other demons have seemingly changed the ways so Sam and Dean won’t kill them on sight? None.

19. Jared says:

So happy Roy will become an official member of Team Arrow this season. While I love the entire cast individually, Roy is definitely my favorite!

20. CA says:

Regarding Elementary’s late start (happening because of NFL and for no other reason)..anything less then a standard 22 episode is a shorten season. So saying “at least 20” doesn’t mean much as 20 can be the amount and it would be less the 22.

21. Liz says:

Bless Stef and her brilliant question on Killian Jones. I love the Captain with all my heart (and his Swan) and i can’t eat to see him interact with the Knave. Should make for some stellar scenes. Thank you!!

22. Crystal says:

Love the idea of the arcs this season being more personal for the Winchesters. It’d be great to see some positive character development and growth for them both (although I also hope the Mark of Cain has larger ramifications. Such an interesting storyline.)

Not so thrilled about the return of Charlie Sue. It’s annoying how the brothers tend to lose both their hunting skills and IQ points and around her, just so Charlie can dazzle everyone with her brilliance. I prefer characters on the show who organically fit in the Supernatural world and who are based on reality, not fanfic.

• SMcMary says:

I thought I was the only one in regards to my indifference to Charlie. I don’t dislike the character nor the actress but I always felt she and the writers were always trying too hard to fit her in.

23. As far as “Supernatural” is concerned – personally, I’m curious to find out who the “Bigger Bads” will be once the Demon-Dean storyline is resolved. Will the villains be enemies of Crowley, too? Likely. Crowley, after all, is always concerned with Numero Uno: himself.

24. Joey says:

Love the spoiler about Ian and Mickey! As much as I want those two to be together, I’m also a sucker for angst, and those two have it in spades. The last two episodes of last season were great for them.

25. Dan says:

No, I actually don’t believe Sam and Dean are the villains this season. Despite Carver’s attempts, I still – and always will – see them as Heroes!

26. abz says:

While the BATB song/dance did make me feel a little nostalgic, I know I’m probably in the minority, but I still think Rumbelle is the most incredibly dull pairing on OUAT, even more than Snow/Charming (and they can be very boring themselves). I think that individually they are interesting (Rumple way more so than Belle). And although I enjoyed Emilie de Ravin on LOST, Belle is so boring and whiny, I seriously hope this Belle-centric does something to make her a more interesting individual character and gives her something to do outside of Rumbelle otherwise, I wouldn’t mind her remaining in the background of the show.

27. Gilded Rose says:

I’m beyond ready for Arrow to start its new season. It looks really good! And yes. I’m totally excited for Oliver and Felicity. Love them!

28. Briggs says:

Again, some frustration over having to initially miss the first ep. It’s for a good reason, but all these teases make me yearn! My question is, which participant is responsible for the angst in Arrow’s second episode? I only ask because I follow Stephen Amell on Twitter, and he likes to pepper in little tidbits and stir the pot…

29. tp says:

Judging from the comments I’m the only person that doesn’t care for Rumple and Belle. Not only do I find the character to be a throw away but her acting is atrocious. TVLine peeps always say she was good on Lost but I never watched it so I can’t compare the two. It won’t cause me to skip the episode entirely but there will be major ff.

Really looking forward to Arrow this season. So many good changes coming up.

Already commented about Reign …twice so I’ll leave it alone. :)

30. Fran says:

Thanks for the Shameless scoop. Love Mickey and Ian. January is my favorite month for TV with Shamless and Justified.

31. Tom says:

There goes my hope of no more Roy, I can’t stand him he is easily my least favourite character and wish he was killed off last season or at least never came out of the coma.

32. Kim Hansen says:

Do you have any info on the new Fox series Gracepoint? I liked the premier and hope to see more interesting input. And does David Tennant end up with a love interest?

33. Rich Abey says:

The future of Playing House is bleak? While I’m thankful that the USA Network gave the show a chance, I am enraged at the fact that USA can’t realize what a gem they have in their hands. Seriously it was one of the best comedies of recent times, certainly much better than Big Bang Theory & Modern Family and even Brooklyn Nine Nine.
    USA certainly can afford meaningless copycat but big-budget fare like Satisfaction, Covert Affair & Royal Pains. So why can’t they give a genuine meaningful show like Playing House, which is also relatively low maintenance compared to the above mentioned shows, a second season?? Beats me!

• Sheila says:

I’m also bummed. It’s a cute show, and I really like Lennon Parham and Jessica St. Clair together. But that garbage Chrisley show is coming back?

34. mai says:

Oh Lordy. Charlie is coming back from Oz on SPN?! I was hoping she would stay there forever. Sigh. Dreadful, cliched character.

35. Daisy says:

AWESOME!!!!!
    I love the Rumbelle relationship! :) <3

36. Daisy says:

I hate the Emma and Hook relationship!
    Its not really the relationship it’s EMMA!!
    She has trust problems. I mean Hook gave his Ship to save Emma and she still doesn’t really love him. Its so annoying. Hook needs a new girl!

37. jake says:

Does anyone else find Herman on CHI Fire as annoying as I do? Perhaps, he should have gone and not Shay.

38. There’s no way they are seriously thinking of not renewing Playing House. That show is amazing.

39. Jason says:

Also, yay Charlie!! I’ve loved Felicia Day since she played Vi on season 7 of BTVS.