TNT's Dallas Cancelled After 3 Seasons

Dallas Season Finale

Put a(nother) fork in Southfork.

Not two weeks after Dallas aired its season finale, TNT has decided against renewing the primetime sudser for Season 4.

RELATED Dallas EP Defends Killing [Spoiler], Previews Major Paternity Twist and Reveals ‘Emotional’ Season 4 Plans

A statement from TNT reads as follows:

“We are extremely proud of [Dallas], which defied expectations by standing as a worthy continuation of the Ewing saga. We want to thank everyone involved with the show, from the extraordinary cast to the impeccable production team, led by the show’s creative forces, Cynthia Cidre and Mike Robin. We especially want to thank the people of Dallas for their warm and generous hospitality during the production of the series.”

RELATED Dallas Season 3 Finale Recap: Fall in the Family

A contemporary continuation of the CBS serial that ran from 1978 to 1991, TNT’s Dallas — with original cast members Larry Hagman (who would pass away in November 2012), Patrick Duffy and Linda Gray on board– launched in June 2012 to 6.9 million total viewers and a 1.5 demo rating, earning a Season 2 pick-up just weeks later.

Season 3 opened in February with 2.66 million total viewers and a 0.7 demo rating. By the close of its summertime run, the show was drawing 1.7 mil and a 0.4.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

1. JAN says:

BIG MISTAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• David4 says:

Look at those ratings, there was no way a 4th season was happening.

• Kar says:

The mistake was making it all about Elena

• Why could you not come back and wrap things up? Leaving the fans up in the air was just not right. What made the original a winner was J.R.. What would make the renewal a winner would have been John Ross not Elena. Execs bad move.

• e says:

I agree with you 100%. They should have given us a conclusion of the show

• Paulette Peters says:

I can’t believe that TNT has drop 2 good show like Dallas and Here comes Honey Boo Boo, my kids loved Honey Boo Boo and we all loved Dallas, so from now on know more TNT in the Peters family, I sorry to say you are making a big mistake, there are a lot of angery people and you need people to watch you channel so if I were you I would rethink this!!

• Patti H. says:

Agreed! A conclusion would have been nice…. Not a nice move at all for those of us that loved watching !

• Loretta perry says:

Great comment totallyxagree👍

• Nesta says:

Doesn’t surprise me. After Larry Hagman died the show lost it’s way. They got away from the core of the show, The Ewing’s, and made it about a tramp named Elena. If Barnes would have stayed out of prison, fought against Bobby and Sue Ellen, while John Ross did the battling with Christopher, and others would have been true to the Ewing family. Also, if they had REAL women as wives, not Ann, Pamela was okay, someone strong for Bobby, worthy of Ewing!

• Britt B says:

I’m glad to find people here who share my opinion! Dallas season 3 is absurd, violent and perverted. A threesome followed by an OD, an execution, a whorehouse and a drug cartel. A lot of psychopaths trying to get back at the Ewings, while it used to be all about the Ewing family and the Barnes fued! Except for Bobby and Sue Ellen, there’s not much there to remind us of the Original series. They should make season 3 another ‘dreamseason’ and come back with a season 4 where James Richard turns up again and Ray and Lucy have more lines than 1 per season. That would be less absurd than the storyline of season 3.

• Shazay says:

I HATE TNT NOW!!!!

• rarebird says:

They sealed their fate when they killed Christopher. HORRIBLE move on SO MANY LEVELS. Hope they find a home for the show with better writing, the series, the fans and the actors deserves better. Would love to have Dallas back with Christopher alive and well! Would be happy to sign that petition.

• Buffie Shaw says:

I agree with you. A bug mistake it was way too good to take off the air.

2. dman6015 says:

No J.R., no show.

3. CactusRose says:

NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! C’Mon TNT – give it a chance! The ratings couldn’t have been that bad! It was such a good, sudsy show! Even my husband watched it – and that’s saying a lot! Please re-think your decision.

4. drunkmelissa says:

• Donal says:

This was my response to the letter. …okay, maybe 1 more “O.” I really felt like they did well by the classic as well as next generation characters, and I think some really great storylines with the remaining cast were a-comin’. I wish the cast, crew, etc… good luck. A thin silver lining is that Patrick Duffy can check in as Papa Logan on B&B. Aside from others I’ve seen pre-Dallas, I’ve added Josh Henderson to the list of actors that will pique my interest.

5. A. Zipkin says:

Another dumb decision by TV executives. A&E cancels Longmire. Now another favorite of mine, Dallas, is cancelled. One fine day, I will cancel my cable.

• JP Anders says:

Sadly most of us are not the age they care about, we loved Longmire too

• Amanda Wall says:

I second this. I am truly pissed off.

• catkicked1500 says:

this sucks I love the new dallas you are right about killing cable if we lose walking dead iam killing my dishnetwork service or going to the smallest program package

• Oh, calm down! Dallas’s ratings were abysmal, even by cable standards. And the direction the producers were going in–adding a previously-unknown sister?!–was a clear sign of desperation. And Dallas is hardly Longmire’s brother-in-arms. There’s a lot to watch! Don’t worry–be happy!

• Joy Jones says:

Those are not “abysmal” ratings, especially on cable. There are several shows on air with much lower numbers.

• Gigi League says:

this obviously is coming from someone who loves to watch reality shows or cooking shows by the looks of it. not everyone loves to sit on their couch all day and night & binge watch. many of us like to see an actual true real TV show, which Dallas was picking up on its own feet on Google it was being talked about more and more. UPSETTING

• TBL164 says:

We used to watch Glades and they cancelled that show with no warning either.

• Lorraine says:

I loved both Glades and Dallas, and was an original Dallas viewer years ago. I don’t like that this one had so much blatant sex; the insinuations of the first Dallas were enough to tell us who was with whom. Anyway, two good shows cancelled. Disappointed.

6. Jenny says:

Bummer. I thought this last set of episodes were great.

7. Ted Witek says:

8. wrstlgirl says:

Not really surprised. First J.R. dies and then they kill off Christopher. I wasn’t looking forward to watching the John Ross Jr. show.

• DanT2590 says:

Did they kill off Christopher?? WOW! I didn’t know that!!!!! I think the overdose of John Ross in the 2nd season is probably what turned me off to the show. It just became a little too dumb.

• spartan says:

Well, people magically survive explosions and other catastrophes on TV, so I wasn’t 100% sure about that development in the finale. I think it was decent as soapy dramas go, but there were casting problems — the actor who played JR’s son had zero gravitas; Judith Light’s character was ludicrous. Understand this is especially tough for those nostalgic for the original, but Larry Hagman’s death doomed it. He really was missed.

9. Tran says:

Very sad news at least TNT shot J.R.

• JAN says:

• Liz says:

Did you see him get in the car?

• I don’t remember him getting into the car and I believe that it was very dark when the car’s engine started.

• wrstlgirl says:

Looked to me like he got into the car and there have been interviews with the writers about the death.

• Clif says:

I don’t know about the writer’s comments, Jesse Metcalfe’s intent to return to the series, nor who if Christopher was actually in the car when it blew up. I do know the series should continue, and Christopher has been a pivotal role in the show. Waiting for the return of ‘Dallas’, and I hope that Jesse continues in the role of Christopher.

10. Micki says:

Big Mistake! The best show ya’ll had in a long time!

11. Lisa says:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !! I loved the original and the continuation – nothing left for me on TNT anymore, just the drama reruns in the daytime for background while i’m up & getting ready

12. Robert Taylor says:

This sucks. The show was proof that melodrama can be great when written well and created through compelling, interesting characters. It’s such a shame you didn’t watch it.

13. Frank says:

Terrible decision. Linda Gray rocked! Boycott TNT!

14. Donna says:

This is crazy……best show and it gets cancelled!!!

15. GuessWhat says:

I understand ratings-wise, but quality-wise — I am surprised.
    This actually turned out to be a far better show than I thought it would be.
    And they did a really good job rebounding from Larry Hagman’s death and continuing with new stories.

• Viv B says:

I cannot believe this! I thought I wasn’t going to like the show because I ONLY loved the old Dallas, but I started watching it mid 2nd season and fell madly in love with the show! John Ross is so evil that I got chills up my spine. I do agree that there was a bit over kill with Elena…but that could have been changed. I was enjoying Pamela becoming more and more vicious against John Ross. Christopher was awesome with his gentle side. This is a TERRIBLE decision on TNT’s part and I for one will not be watching any of the shows they have on there from now on. I hope that another network picks up this great show! I never really cared for 2nd generation shows as well as the original shows, but this one rocked! TNT bring back this great show and give it another chance!

16. WOW!!! I really didn’t watch the show the first time (a little young) but my mom did. We both loved the new series. I am heartbroken!!! I was actually in Dallas and at the house while they were filming season 2 (missed them at the house by one day :( ) This really bums me out!!!!

17. Larry C. says:

So much for the intellect of those in power at TNT! Perhaps, if they had promoted this good show more, the ratings would have been higher. If the creative forces behind DALLAS are smart, they will shop the show at other cable networks. To all those involved in bringing DALLAS back, especially Linda, Patrick and Larry, thank you so much. Now, let’s all boycott TNT.

• Ovaltine Jenkins says:

They promoted it incessantly at first but, as the ratings dropped they promoted it less and less. This show isn’t going to be picked up by anyone. The ratings were too awful even for cable.

18. Angela says:

If they’d gotten rid of that hack Cynthia Cidre and brought in someone who didn’t have a disdain for the original series like she did, they’d have gotten better ratings

19. Tammy says:

I hate that. No Dallas then no TNT in my household.

20. Jen says:

What needs to be done to keep it on the air? Sell to to another network? Huge mistake, it was only growing in popularity!

• Donna says:

• Viv B says:

OMGosh! I LOVED that line! He was pure evil, just like his daddy. Josh Henderson was a PERFECT pick for John Ross. Actually there were some really awesome lines. I loved this show!

21. Janet says:

I just couldn’t watch it after Larry Hagman died. I also disliked almost all the characters. In the original, you just loved to hate JR and many of the characters were so colorful but you didn’t hate them. JR junior in this new version was particularly unappealing to me.

22. John says:

TNT screwed up !!!

23. Marsha Basham says:

BIG MISTAKE! !!!!!!!

24. connie davis says:

Many people will no longer be watching TNT due to this decision. I am one of them. Why get involved in a continuing story line if the network just pulls the plug so easily.

25. I loved the show and the actors. I am very sad that it has been canceled. I guess it is just one less hour of TV watching for me.

26. MMoore says:

27. Carole says:

Nooooooooo!!! You guys are cray. We love Dallas. Please don’t cancel.

28. Marc says:

Idiots! Why do horrible shows like broke girls get renewed? I know viewers. But companies should stand behind quality. Time to rethink the way to gauge the success of a show.

29. Angela W. says:

I am very disappointed that TNT decided not to renew Dallas. They have made a big mistake. I will no longer look at any more shows on TNT.

30. Sue says:

In my opinion, Dallas was the best show on TV. My husband and I watched Dallas and LOVED
    it. I know a lot of fans of Dallas and I am sad that they have discontinued this show. I am hoping they change their mind and bring it back… Please!!!

• Ovaltine Jenkins says:

Looking at what the ratings were you are apparently the only person that knew anybody that watched it.

• RReg says:

Best show on tv? Where have some of you people been living? Heaven help us. No wonder TV is so abysmal. If people like you can claim this is the best show on TV, no wonder studios keep pushing the crap they have been pushing.
      This show should never have been rebooted in the first place!

• Viv B says:

All you’re saying is negativity…what is your favorite show?? Keeping up with the Kardashian’s? Why do you have to knock people for a show they love?? Leave us Dallas lovers alone, we have the right to express our outrage over a show WE love! If you are only here to bash people, go bash somewhere else and stop taking up room on this forum.

31. Jeri Dickinson says:

please say it is a joke I love the show I was so sure Elana’s baby would be John Ross’

32. Abby says:

I have never watched a single episode of this Dallas but I’ve just started a long stretch off work while I recover from an operation and this was number one on the list of shows I was going to watch while stuck t home. Glad I read this before starting though as I now won’t bother, if it got a proper ending where they knew it was canceled I would have watched but I never start a show knowing it ends on a cliff hanger so won’t be bothering now.

33. ChicagoDan says:

It was over after 3A when TNT announced it was coming back in late August with only repeat dramas as lead-in/lead-out. I believe it was the only TNT scripted show this summer to air without a companion. It was an island and still managed higher than lead-in/lead-out. Too bad.

34. Debbie Gumataotao says:

Are u kidding me it was soo good will not watch TNT any more…

35. msstargate says:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. This show just kept get better and better. I so hope Netflix or some other channel will pick it up.

36. Laurie Emerson says:

True there was no JR but the show this season was great!

37. That sucks! We always DVR’d Dallas to watch it on Friday night! It was really a good show and kept true to the original series. Even bringing back the original actors no matter how minor they were in the original. It might have fared better if TNT had devoted a little more effort in promoting the show!!!!!

• JOHN says:

Give Dallas to CBS OR ABC OR NBC!

• TMM24 says:

YEA! But they should do some tweeking and get better writers. As a viewer of the Original Dallas they could bring in Christopher’s half brother Lucas,Jenna Wades so, andJohn Ross has a half brother from JR’s marriage to Cally. Get someone like Victoria Principal to play Bobby’s wife. Take off Elena-she was NEVER mentioned on the Original Dallas, and get rid of Judith Light. We are many who loved the New Dallas and hate that they just cancelled it without and finale.

38. Julia Bassett says:

Hot Damn. Mama NO LIKE.

39. JG says:

TNT had an opportunity to make a little more money with this show, had everything been done a little differently from the beginning. By possibly sharing the program with sister networks like TBS & The CW, expenses could have also been shared three ways. (NBC & USA did this with “Law & Order: Criminal Intent” for four seasons.)

Even without sharing the program with other networks, a little more “presence” on the network could have helped pull in more viewers. The show aired twice a week (okay, technically three times–twice on the episode premiere day and one other time during the week).

Also, they say timing is everything. Well, so are ratings. When did the show get its best ratings? The best ratings period for this show was during the summer months, when other networks we dishing out reruns, or poor excuses for TV.

When they hadn’t given it the green light by the end of this season, the writing was on the wall. Just another slap in the face from a network to its viewers for leaving them hanging after investing time in the storylines and characters.

• Explained perfectly!! This is the reason the ratings were so low in the first place. Some friends of mine didn’t even know it had been rebooted. Once I told them about it, they were hard core watchers like my wife and I were. We always sat down together to watch Dallas. Not many shows on were liked by both of us but Dallas was, definitely. Hopefully a smarter Network will pick this show up and do it and it’s fans justice.

40. Carol Kirby says:

TNT sucks they take off the good shows and leave the crappy ones on boo to u tnt

41. Rob R says:

It was wonderful to visit “Dallas” again with Larry, Linda, and Patrick and the original location, and a worthy set up for the next generation with the John Ross vs. Christopher dynamic, two characters born during the original season run. But this third season was truly horrible, with excessive violence never seen on the original series, inserted at the expense of careful and clever writing. New characters we don’t care about were given excessive screen time (Emma?), and the usually wonderful Judith Light appeared to go to the school of overacting prior to joining this series. The final bad decision was the murder of Christopher Ewing in the final two minutes of the series, a move which crippled the entire framework of the show and convinced me to wish for a mercy cancellation of the show I used to love.

42. Angela Crisostomo says:

This was one of the BEST shows on tv. I remember my mom and Grandma watching Dallas as a kid and it was awesome to share an interest in the show with my mom as an adult. So disappointed. I won’t watch tnt anymore.

43. DivaA says:

Are you kidding me???? This was the only show I watched on TNT.. Well, that’s the end of that. I watched the original and was impressed how the show carried on with the next generation. I’m really hoping another network picks the show up.. I’m so disappointed and pissed at the same time.

44. Katie T says:

Gutted for everyone who still loved the show but personally can’t say I’m surprised given it’s US ratings. It didn’t do much here in the UK either where season 3 only started a month ago and had already got shifted from airing at 10pm to midnight. Was the final nail in the coffin in my decision to watch as I’d really started to get bored of it.
    It’s the problem with being on cable I guess because you’ve got to have more seasons to get to the 88 episodes that help with syndication.

45. Lyn says:

As I recall the original series used to air on Friday nights. We used to watch while getting ready to go out to the bar. This new edition did was just as fun and campy. Too bad they split the now final season into 2 parts. I despise it when broadcasters feel the need to do this. It just makes people loose interest or replace that hour with something else. At a time when more viewers are leaving cable TV you would think that TNT would be trying to keep viewers and be competitive. Obviously they are trying to meet the bottom line financially and will ensure that they do just that…stay at the bottom! At least let the series end with a movie to tie up loose ends our of respect to viewers.

46. Ugonna Wosu says:

Dallas has been getting bad for a while,how about blaming the writers instead of the network? People stopped watching for a reason. Glad its gone, I didn’t bother watching this August after the dreadful spring half season and its finale.

47. ghent32 says:

TNT sabotaged this show in every way humanly possible; moving it from summer to fall, Wednesday to Monday, then finally buried the season finale up against the network fall premier. They made no attempt whatsoever to fix the issue when it was obvious to even the most common fan. Our only hope is that another network with more guts, “onions” and intelligence picks this up and makes the investment necessary. TNT….”BOOM” – U SUCK

48. lisa koch says:

Nonononononono!!!!! Stop. Anceling shows we actually love!!!!!! Nnnnooooo

49. Tyleshia says:

Bad Decision….The best show on Tv. So disappointed in TNT !!!