Post Mortems

Post Mortem: Bones Boss Talks Missing Funeral Guests, the 'Furious' Booth-Brennan Fight, Sweets' Twin and More

Bones Sweets Funeral

R.I.P. Sweets.

On Thursday’s Bones, Booth, Brennan & Co. paid tribute to John Francis Daley’s fallen shrink with an appropriately no-frills memorial service held on a hilltop overlooking Washington, D.C. (Admit it, you cried during Brennan’s speech. We’re not here to judge you.)

The episode also (mostly) resolved the complex conspiracy that led to Sweets’ untimely death, included a ferocious, impeccably acted Booth-Brennan fight scene, and brought Sweets’ quasi-successor (and eerie doppelgänger) Aubrey into the forefront.

Below, exec producer Stephen Nathan answers our myriad burning questions about the emotional hour. Included among our queries: Why was Sweets’ service so poorly attended, and why wasn’t widow Daisy more of a wreck?

RELATED John Francis Daley Breaks His Silence on Sweets’ Death: ‘I Feel Like I Lost a Part of Me’

TVLINE | Did you anticipate such a strong fan reaction to Sweets’ death?
We knew it was going to be very upsetting, but the response is really intense. It’s a testament to the show, but really to John. People were so connected to him and the character that the loss was personal. I don’t mean to be callous, but that’s the way it should be. If [a death like this is] easily dismissed it means the dramatic impact wasn’t that great.

TVLINE | That was one hell of an elaborate conspiracy. I’m still not sure I’ve connected all the dots…
It was a very complicated thing for us to do. And it was a little new for us. I don’t think we’ll be doing as intense a conspiracy again. That’s a meal you have once. And all of the dots weren’t connected. As resolved as this is, there’s never a way to resolve everything. We wanted to keep some part of it open. They’ve put this to bed, but that doesn’t mean it couldn’t wake up at some time in the future.

TVLINE | Booth and Brennan had one of their biggest, most heated arguments in recent memory. It was oddly fun to watch them go at it. What was it like writing and shooting that sequence?
It actually was a great sequence to write because we never do it. The tension, stress and emotions were so high between them; they were at a breaking point. Circumstances had backed them into a corner, and we just went for it. The anger, the fury and the sense of loss and confusion were so overwhelming that we just let Booth and Brennan have at it. It was a great, cathartic scene to write. And it was really great to see them almost tear each other apart and know that they could handle it. It was seeing what a good relationship is.

RELATED Bones EP Reveals Why Sweets Had to Die

TVLINE | Daisy very quickly transitioned from grieving widow to squintern-with-a-mission. Was there ever any talk of giving her a big breakdown scene so we could see more of her mourning process?
I think we did with the scene between Daisy and Brennan where they were talking about Sweets over his remains. There wasn’t a big, giant breakdown because we have seen those before. We let the steam out a little bit at a time. And it culminated in the last scene when they said goodbye to him. There was a sense that they had grieved, they had avenged his death, and now it was a time to let him go. And clearly it’s not finished. Daisy has to have the baby. The emotional consequences of that have to be dealt with too. We’re shooting that episode now.

Sweets' funeral 1Question: Let’s talk about the memorial service itself. Brennan’s speech was really beautiful. Talk to me about the decision to have her essentially deliver the eulogy, vs. Booth or Daisy?
There was nothing formal [about her speech]. It started as just a casual conversation among friends and Brennan, in her usual way, said all the talk about God and religion was nonsense. Once she started speaking I don’t think she knew what she was going to say. She was just trying to explain herself to Booth, and as she did, she opened up in a way that surprised even her. It was all very spontaneous. And there was nothing to be said after that because she was saying what everyone felt.

TVLINE | Are you going to have the cast sing “Coconut” every time a major character dies?
[Laughs] Hopefully we’re not going to lose anyone else for a while. It had to be. It was Sweets’ jam. It would’ve been sacrilege to not have a rag-tag group singing that song to him.

VIDEO Exclusive: Bones Cast Bids Farewell to John Francis Daley (and Sweets!)

TVLINE | Why weren’t more of the squinterns at the service?
We wanted to keep this small. We wanted to keep it among the people who were instrumental in resolving this case and who were there in an intimate way when Sweets died. If we had had a [bigger] group, the intimacy of the moment would’ve been lost. Brennan’s speech couldn’t have existed in that environment. And that took precedence over a grand affair.

TVLINE | The physical resemblance between John Francis Daley and John Boyd is kind of nuts. There were several moments bones-season-10-photos-31in the episode — like the diner scene — where, at first glance, I thought I was looking at Sweets and not Aubrey. Was that intentional? Coincidence?
It just happened to be. We thought about it for a moment and then went, “This is fine.” John is such a different presence. And Aubrey is such a different character. It didn’t seem like it was going to be a problem. That said, I kind of like that a hint of Sweets still exists. There’s a reminder in the ether of the show that he’s still with us.

TVLINE | Will Daisy and Sweets’ son be named Seeley?
That’s what Sweets wanted…

TVLINE | Will he get what he wanted?
Oh, I think he will.

1. echox860 says:

Am I the only one to remember that Sweets was the only one who knew Zack never killed anybody?

2. Ok says:

Sometimes I wish Brennan would let things be as they are. She doesn’t have to agree whatsoever, but goodness…I couldn’t bring myself to pay attention to her speech at the end.

• Ok says:

I think what I’m trying to say is, Brennan doesn’t always have to be so clinical.

• Mike says:

What just happened? The writers need to fired!!!! There was absolutely no heart or soul to the loss of Sweets!The whole Booth in jail, Sweets dying thing was waisted on a story that made no sense. There was no motive to cover all the mess it created. With Sweets passing; each of the main characters could have at least shared a memory, done some recaps of how he changed them. Somebody at the table read with half a brain should have said Bones’s speech makes no sense. Booth should have given the last speech it was Booth that connected Sweets the most, almost like a father figure, and he gives the emotional speech’s on the show, most of the times when Bones tries and fails. The whole episode seemed like a jumbled mess, I felt more emotion in Vincent Nigel Murray death, or when Wendell got cancer. They wrote Bones like a robot who is trying to find feelings. They need to watch the first two seasons and write Booth and Bones with that kind or care and detail.

• Sally O'Malley says:

That’s part of what bothered me about the whole thing – In S6, every single character was completely devastated over VNM’s death. Heck, they were all completely devastated in S3 when Zack was in the hospital ready to be locked up in the looney bin. None of that for Sweets, though. No respect for the character or for John Francis Daley. Terrible.

• Aggie says:

Yea, I went back and watched the VNM death and there was so much warmth and emotion in the episode. This one felt pretty cold, other than Daisy’s scenes. The only thing that stayed with me was her and Brennan with Sweets’ bones. Whoever came up with that scene should be applauded thoroughly. It was really sad and beautiful to hear her telling the stories of his life through his bones. I expected all the characters to be more affected, but I guess the conspiracy was so convoluted and needed to be wrapped up so they dropped the ball. It really felt like they were mostly going through the motions and getting this thing over with. Ah well. Yay for Netflix and past seasons!

3. Tran says:

Emotional episode. Made me move to tears. :-(

4. Jenna says:

I choked up during the scene between Daisy and Brennan. Beautifully done by both actors. And, yes, I cried at the end scene…until the song; then I smiled. RIP Sweets

5. 1mars says:

So basically, B & B go at it, scream at each other, and that snaps Booth out of his PTSD and the loss of his friend? um, ok. No one please try to tell me, that Aubrey isnt Sweets snarky twin.

• anon says:

yeah last time i looked, yelling and threatening someone that you would kick them to the curb wasnt how to treat someone with PTSD…. plus Brennan went too far, she was like a fìshwife.

• Mike says:

They need write Brennan as a human, do they not get that clinical Brennan is unlikable. They need to re-watch the scene outside the court house during Brennan’s dad trial, where Sweets walked up asked Bones and her to let him write a book about them. The ” I think he likes us,….” Brennan moments with Booth is the normal Brennan the show needs!

• Stormy says:

Thank you! IMO the biggest thing wrong with Bones the show is Bones the character. Emily is no great shakes as an actress, but Brennan is insufferable which makes ED’s job that much harder. During her long tirade last night I wanted to pull a Rapunzel and slap her upside the head with a cast iron frying pan.
          I’m hoping the writers give Sweets replacement a deeper personality than he’s shown so far.

6. aa says:

REALLY wish there was an ep without Aubrey in them…Sweets is barely gone and I feel like this guy is being shoved in my face and shoe-horned into the team at a SUPERFAST pace…REALLY!? let me have time to adjust.

• Wendy says:

I don’t even like Zack, but to be fair, the show shoved Sweets on the scene not long before Zack was gone. That’s showbiz.

• aa says:

not really, Sweets was introduced near the beginning of season 3 and Zack left at the end of season 3…there was a season of them existing together in the Bones world…this guy Aubrey basically just took Sweets place when the poor guy was barely cold…i mean just wow calious much….i would of preferred rotating FBI personnel to bounce of Booth, like they did with the squints to replace Zack…Not this NotSweetsPod replacement in my face. jmho

• jmcg says:

I completely agree and I don’t appreciate the way they moved the doppelganger in to take Sweets place. Its almost as bad as Hannah the plot device. And it wouldn’t have been a “grand affair” if the other squinterns attended the funeral. I noticed their absence and thought it just felt wrong.

7. Mary says:

cried… Again. But I hope they don’t call the baby Seely….even Booth doesn’t like being called Seely….

• JLK says:

Thank you! Seely Sweets? Is that really the name they’re going to give this kid? Yikes…just terrible. I could maybe see it as a middle name, but not the kid’s actual name.

• Les says:

If Lance had not passed I am sure he would have named the baby Seeley. Since Daisy Loved her Lancelot so much and to honor his wishes she will probably name the baby Lance Seeley Sweets.

8. SR Dewees says:

The episode was outstanding..Booths behavior is a good example of PTSD and a perfect reaction toward the lose of a loved one. Daisy was so endearing and showed such love for Sweets, it was heartbreaking. I felt she handled what was going on with Sweets remains the best she knew how. Death is confusing enough, why not, our reactions towards it. I hope Someday, the voicing comments abt God will be put to rest. The Speech at the funeral, would have been perfect for Booth..( just an ‘observation’ ). No matter, BONES is the best of the best and it just gets BETTER! BONES #1

9. July Lark says:

Wow, I never ever thought I would say this, but B & B are getting just plain boring, do they even like each other anymore, and what is with Brennan preaching the whole ep? I wasn’t even a fan of Sweets but pushing Aubrey on us in every other scene just feels downright cold. What is happening with this show. It used to be my all time favorite. :(

10. Lynnacworth says:

Actually didn’t shed a tear until Booth started up with “Coconut” that was always one of my favorite Sweets quirks. I do think, however, that this was not a healthy death for the series. I really don’t think that there will be a season 11 and looking back at this opener may well be the beginning of the end.

11. Dani says:

I really don’t like this Aubrey character. (But like many Bones characters, it takes a while for them to get liked.) I really hope he isn’t the final replacement to the cast. Sure Booth needs a sidekick now, but come on, they just solved his murder. Sweets get replaced even before his murder got solved? At least replace him with another smarty pants. Just a normal young FBI agent doesn’t really fit along the characters of Bones.

12. madbengalsfan85 says:

Every time I read the comments here, I can feel my brain cells committing suicide one by one.

13. Terry says:

Apparently I’m in the vast minority but I never did like the Sweets character, I found him excruciatingly annoying. But hey, I still miss Dr. Goodman, I wish they could have kept that character, he was awesome!

14. Anon says:

I was disappointed in yesterday’s show. Although I liked the conspiracy set-up in last season’s final episode, I thought the plot went off the rails yesterday. It was just too convoluted and quickly resolved.

The tribute to Sweets wasn’t very well-done either. It felt rushed. I would have preferred they keep the character and come up with a better way to explain his absence. In John Francis Daley’s interview with Michael Ausiello, he said he wanted to stay. Why didn’t they figure out how to retain him and introduce Aubrey until Sweets returned?

15. Barbara says:

I will miss Sweets, liked his character very much. Not crazy about the new guy, maybe he will grow on me. Needs a bit more personality. Who will fill the role of FBI psychologist? It is logical for the team to have one, or are they just going to contact the BAU on Criminal Minds?

16. Lisa says:

No mention of the mini-Angel reunion? Sam Anderson was one of the big-bads at Wolfram & Hart – I’m guessing the part was written with him in mind or the writers were really lazy naming his character SAnderson

17. Pat says:

Did I cry again, well yes I did. It was heartbreaking to see Daisy sitting in the lab with his bones. When Temperance gave that eulogy I was crying my heart out, once again. Yes, Mr. Nathan you have managed to make me heartbroken on the way Sweets character exited this show. Now, it is so hard for me to watch the old episodes knowing what the outcome is for this character. “Coconut” song was great, but that also reminded me of Nigel’s death. 😢😢😢😢

18. Laura C says:

Not only do they dump Sweets in a quick & brutal manner, but they intro his replacement before he’s barely cold. I think Bones speech at the end was a bit strange, but it was Bones after all. I think Booth should have said something too. I found the subdued Daisy one I could actually FEEL for–with sadness this time instead of annoyance. The best part was the coconut song at the end because it was a lighter moment. I found myself singing the chorus over the next day & night when the show came to mind. I was pretty devastated by Sweets being killed off. I think there were other ways they could have given Daley the time off & brought him back later. These guys don’t know their fans very well if they thought they would like the callous manner in which he was dumped/his character killed off.

19. charlene winkle says:

I was very much connected to John’s character. it was although a family member died, really it was a very emotional scene. I love the entire Bones cast….everybody is needed.

20. Margie says:

cant you bring sweets back some how? The old team was so good

• Les says:

Sweets being an orphan lets the writers use that to bring in an identical twin that may be a Cop in some town in the mid-west where he comes to DC to chase a child abduction therefore he is sent to Booth and wow look who is standing in Booths’ office. OMG Sweets had a twin or even he was a triplet, that would be a good reason why they were put up for adoption. The options are endless I could go on and on.

21. April says:

is anyone else wondering if they are going to deal with pops and the fact that Ralph Waite died?