The Good Wife Recap: The Road to Bail Is Paved With Good Intentions

Season 6, Episode 2, "Trust Issues"

At least once a week on The Price Is Right, you can see a beautiful woman run her hand across the back of a chair and not feel a thing (aside from “What is the actual retail value?”).

So with that in mind, let’s all bow down to the incomparable Christine Baranski for injecting such palpable wistfulness into the very same mundane act on this week’s installment of The Good Wife.

RELATED Which Good Wife Star Scored ‘Honorable Mention’ for TVLine’s Peformer of the Week?

Indeed, as Baranski’s Diane Lockhart bids farewell to her meticulously appointed office, then offers a barely audible “goodbye” as she boards the Lockhart-Gardner elevator one last time, it’s clear she is also letting go of her professional connection to the late Will Gardner, a partner and friend who’d been violently ripped from her life only a few months prior. (Please pass the Kleenex, and thank you.)

But don’t cry for her, Lockhart-istas! Diane’s exit from the firm she founded 13 years ago turns out to be much more of a victory march than a retreat. And that’s because while she was convincing Taye Diggs’ Dean Levine-Wilkins to fly the coop with her, he was rounding up six additional Lockhart-Gardner department heads to make the leap to the Lawyers Without Doors, LLC. (Wait — that’s not the slogan on the Florrick-Agos business cards?)

RELATED Ask Ausiello: Spoilers on Good Wife, Castle, Outlander, Bones, Grey’s, Walking Dead, Chicago PD, Arrow and More

Crazier still, Diane’s exit isn’t necessarily the top story of Season 6, Episode 2 (“Trust Issues”). We’ve got a full-fledged cliffhanger in which Kalinda is holding another man’s life in her hands, a development in which the entire universe is trying to tell Alicia to say “yes” to the mess that is the State’s Attorney’s office and another week in the horror film called Cary Behind Bars. Read on for the full recap…

THINGS REMAIN SCARY FOR CARY | Alicia gets called to the stand as Finn Polmar continues to question the source of Cary’s bail money from Dexter Roja (aka the frontman for drug dealer Lemond Bishop’s legit businesses). When the dashing ADA is able to prove that the Roja’s gyms are largely fueled by memberships “purchased” by Chicago’s recently deceased, he not only succeeds in helping the fitness company with a killer new slogan (“people are dying to work out here!”) but also gets the judge to agree to a subpoena for Bishop’s testimony. And just like that, the $1.3 million in bail money is off the table.

Meanwhile, Bishop agrees to let Kalinda question the three crew members for whom Cary allegedly laid out plans on how to smuggle $1.3 million worth of drugs into the country — “and how to sell it without getting caught.” The guys cop to nothing more than discussing hypothetical movie plots (while Cary, from his jail cell, staunchly maintains his innocence). Kalinda admits the prosecution’s tape could’ve been altered, but she also matches one of the crew member’s voices (Trey, to be exact) to the incriminating tape Sophia played for her in the Season 6 premiere. She doesn’t tell Bishop, for fear he’ll have the snitch killed, but her noble plan backfires when Bishop has silver-toothed Jim Lenard (who’s not guilty!) whacked. “We can’t lose another witness,” Kalinda tells Bishop, knowing there’s a one-in-two chance Bishop might put a hit out on Cary’s last remaining lifeline to win his case. “Tell me who Cary needs,” Bishop replies, before the action cuts back to Lockhart-Gardner. Will Kainda sacrifice the life of turncoat Trey to free Cary, or is there a line she won’t cross even for the man she loves (or at least lusts after)? We’ll find out next week – hopefully!

POLL DANCING | Senior White House adviser Valerie Jarrett cold calls Alicia and encourage her to run for State’s Attorney — but our protagonist, while flattered, can smell Eli all over the phone. When a real estate tycoon shows up at her office with Cary’s interest-free bail money, Alicia rejects him too — saying it’d be unethical — at which point Robyn makes an astute observation: “The only reason to reject it is if you think it’ll hurt your campaign.” Wait? Is Alicia softening to the idea of running?

Peter clearly has a possible state’s attorney’s run for his estranged wife on his mind, too, as he refuses to sign papers for a second mortgage on the apartment to help Alicia raise Cary’s bail money. When she angrily tells him the man she married would’ve done the right thing, he’s quick with a retort: “The woman I married never would’ve asked.” (I’d like to ask the woman he married to come hang the artwork in my apartment; that wall of paintings behind her dining-room table is as masterful as it is complex!)

“There’s no wrong I want corrected! There’s no mountain I want to climb!” Alicia finally tells Eli, after a reporter asks her about leaked poll results testing her possible negatives in a campaign. But while he finally convinces her the current state’s attorney must be behind the numbers — oh Alicia, still too trusting! — he confesses to Peter that because Alicia “wasn’t listening to surrogates,” he went ahead and created “enemy surrogates!” You can’t fault the guy on enthusiasm, can you?

Season 6, Episode 2, "Trust Issues"

Season 6, Episode 2, “Trust Issues”

MUTINY ON THE CANNING-LEE | It looks as though Dean might not make the leap with Diane after visiting Florrick-Agos (under construction since 2013!) and having Robyn cluelessly describe it as “a funky coffee house.” But after some serious thought, he rejects more years spent chasing the “predictably attainable” and chooses the firm that allows a homeless man to shower in its bathroom sink. Florrick-Agos’ partners vote 10-5 to accept the newcomers — though my first question is whether Alicia and Cary will keep on Robyn now that Diane has apparently cleared the deal-breaking hurdle of bringing Kalinda with her. (If they fire the chipper blonde investigator after she pledged her entire savings to Cary’s bail, there’ll be no forgiveness from this couch!) Secondly, should straight, white Cary be nervous about Diane’s repeated references to the new firm as a place run by women and people of color? (Not that it’s mutually exclusive, but given their history — and his recent legal troubles… I had to ask.) An advance from Chum Hum allows Florrick-Agos to post bail for Cary — leading to the very first Florrick-Agos (the people, not the firm) hug…ever! (Yes, I teared up.) Diane, meanwhile, leads Dean and the mutinous LG folks to the elevator — a powerful, emotional exit that calls back (and completely flips) Alicia’s disgraced “perp-walk” with security guards from “Hitting the Fan,” no?

CHUM-HUMMING ALONG | Percolating in the background, a class-action salary-fixing lawsuit against Chum-Hum that briefly threatens Florrick-Agos relationship with its top client. With an assist via prison phone from Cary, Alicia and Carey Zepps get the win — and defeat opposing (and smug) attorney Lorraine Joy (the woman who once passed on hiring a much greener, much more fragile Alicia) in the process. “I should’ve hired you,” she says with admiration. “You’re an assassin.”

Let’s hope that’s not foreshadowing Alicia becoming a literal assassin by her team sending Bishop after Trey!

On that note, what did you think of The Good Wife Season 6 Episode 2? Will Kalinda rat out the rat? Will David Lee’s head explode when he finds out how much money just walked out the firm’s door? And did you tear up during Diane’s exit, Alicia and Cary’s hug, or both? Sound off in the comments!

1. bj says:

I loved it. And i teared up during that hug too. Poor Cary needed it.

• DW says:

I loved it too. Every minute of it. Every cast member was stellar! This storyline is the greatest yet on this great show. I was really glad to see Alicia & Cary hug at the end.
      I can’t remember the last time I felt such sympathy for a TV character as I do for Cary. Hang in there Cary.

• Something tells me that he is going to be needing a lot more hugs before the season is through.

2. Kaylee says:

So glad Cary has a good story this year. He’s been wildly underused.

• Ali says:

Agreed, if I didn’t know any better I’d swear the writers were playing a long con by having Cary become such a peripheral character for the past season or two just so they could throw this at us! Cary, I hardly knew how much I loved you until now!

• He’s totally underused and I fear that they are giving him a spotlight before killing him off later this season.

3. Mike R. says:

Happy Cary is out, you can only keep him in prison for so long. Besides a so-so case of the week I thought this was just as good as last week, I sobbed seeing Diane say goodbye to the firm she built from the ground up, but I’m very excited about her next chapter.

4. Jared says:

Another flawless episode of The Good Wife.

• DW says:

Agree and may I say thank you to Michael Slezak for the great recaps this week and last. Enjoy reading them after watching the great episodes.

5. Tran says:

Poor Cary. Matt Czuchry deserves an Emmy worthy performance. He was great on Gilmore Girls.

• DW says:

These first two episodes are surely EMMY worthy for Matt Czuchry. Absolutely sensational acting. Everyone on this show is great…every single one and Czuchry is just smashing it this season.. What a show!

6. Steven says:

Thank God Cary got bail I couldn’t stand him being behind bars for another episode. The hug made me SO happy.

7. me says:

The Good Wife is now a well-oiled machine. And the actors and writers understand the characters so well now, it makes me ecstatic whenever they hit their mark showing us scenes like Kalinda’s half-open mouth abruptly ending a scene, or Eli’s inappropriate glee that people are bribing Alicia. I have butterflies in my stomach whenever another episode ends, I’m not really that sad because I feel so fulfilled afterwards.

8. Regina says:

Maybe I’m crazy but I didn’t think the only reason Alicia could’ve had for not taking the bail money from that guy was because she was thinking of running. I’d be super suspicious if some random guy I’d never met offered me $1.3 million for no reason. I mean, that’s weird, right? I wouldn’t have taken it.

9. Amanda Cox says:

Shallow Comment of the Night:
    How hot did Cary look leaning against the wall when the elevator doors opened? Unshaven and back in his suit! I felt like I was finding Ryan Phillippe at the top of the escalator in Cruel Intentions all over again!

10. Missy Kelly says:

Don’t know how they come with story, dialogue, editing, music, and casting but Wow! Everyone associated with the show, should stand proud. It really the best drama on tv!

11. Dani says:

I like how Diane’s mutiny was fairly subtly executed than Alicia’s. Alicia had to be locked in her office with guards. And Diana and her crew just strutted towards the elevator like it was nothing. Lol.

12. Coal says:

Wow. Kudos to the writers for juggling multiple story arcs in one episode. Its good see Eli and Kalinda having something interesting do in a while. Now if Peter can have his own story arc, let’s faced he has had anything worthwhile to do un-Alicia related since his battles with Glenn Childs. I hope Diane’s exit doesn’t put an end to the David Lee character, Zach Grenier is brilliant. Its wonderful to see a show with such fantastic history and past characters. The Lamont Bishop story arc, the gift that keeps giving ?

13. Liam says:

Through six years, The Good Wife as perfected its writing, acting and overall production. This was a great episode, and the it has been a great start to the season. Can’t believe this is its sixth year on the air.
    And…oh yeah, I teared up when Diane left and Alicia and Cary hugged it out.

Bonus: The Good Wife must have the best cast on TV, every role is filled with quality

14. Someone says:

I had the realization tonight that if Alicia runs for State’s Attorney, she’s either going to be in Lemond Bishop’s pocket (which I don’t see happening) or on his wrong side, which puts everybody on the show in danger. This conflict alone makes me think the writers will make her run sooner or later in the season.

15. Is it just me, or did this episode and the premiere have the intensity of … a couple of sweeps episodes?

Not only do I not recall a season of The Good Wife ever starting this strongly and at this breakneck speed … I’m hard-pressed to think of many TV shows PERIOD that can do so.

16. Lauren says:

Great episode. I kind of wish Diane had looked at Will’s office for a second, I kept expecting her to.

17. Abby says:

From Bishop and Kalinda’s conversation I got the impression he was going to kill both if Kalinda doesn’t tell him who was wearing the wire. I can get why she doesn’t want to tell him to keep herself clean but I don’t think she’d be sacrificing his life as Bishop clearly got that he killed the wrong one and isn’t about to risk having a turncoat in his organisation, if he can’t figure out who it is he’ll do off with both of them.

18. Michelle says:

So does Florrick Agos & Lockhart eventually “morph” back into the original law firm, 1-2 years down the road?

This is starting to sound a little too predictable. Diane asking to join Alicia and Cary could be smelt a mile away during the finale.

19. tahina45 says:

Cary looked thin indeed! Seems the actor prepared well through the summer hiatus, hope he also had a good time.

20. Lucy says:

Another really good episode.

21. D. says:

This season is so good, on par with last season. I loved every minute of the episode, and I was really moved by the last scene. I can never get enough!

22. Liz B. says:

How is this show so fantastic? Ughhh.

23. dman6015 says:

Here’s what I can’t stand about the current TV ratings system. According to the overnights, The Good Wife pulled in 11.2 million viewers, but only a 1.3 rating with 18-49 year olds. However, the evenings non-football winner was declared to be Family Guy, with fewer viewers (8.4 million), but with a higher 18-49 rating of 4.5. I hate that advertisers discount everyone 50 and older, as if they suddenly stop spending money. Crazy.

24. Jan says:

Definitely another WOW episode! Thanks for the great recaps, Michael!

25. Sherry says:

My God. Could this show get any better? I mean, I thought last season was amazing, but this season, they are knocking it out of the ball park with every bat. I’m basically a scifi/fantasy type so gimme gimme Games of Thrones with a serving of HBO series, but man oh man. I’m ready to vote for Best Drama with this show. I normally base if a show is really great to me on two quirky things: (1) At the end of every episode does it make me scream out “How the hell are they gonna get out of THIS?” and (2) that it has scenes that make it me say “wahhhhhhhhhhhhtt?” (but the scene must make sense for the characters/storyline). The Good Wife fits the bill. Fracking Awesome. Frack fricking awesome.

26. LDS says:

Great episode, which is now a given. Superficial moment: I just gotta say they way they dress Christine Baranski, blows my mind. That leopard dress, that necklace? Wow.

27. HAP says:

I’m still wondering how the Hell they got Valerie Jarrett to show up.

28. ProfessorPreis says:

I thought that Eli was lying to Peter here, to keep him from going after Castro

29. That hug gave me chills because of the weight that was clearly portrayed by the actors but also because it made me believe that this strengthened friendship is definitely gonna be tested, or that Alicia is gonna suffer for it in some way.

30. Sid Neeto says:

Have you ever watched it?

31. salut scuze ca postez dar numa am vazut acest articol si doream sa spun ca doresc sa va prezint userul meu
    de YouTube.