Grey's Anatomy's Camilla Luddington Talks of Jo's Woes, Alex's Dilemma, Geena Davis and Much More

Grey's Anatomy Camilla LuddingtonNext to no time will have passed when ABC’s Grey’s Anatomy opens Season 11 this Thursday — now in an earlier 8/7c time slot — and yet Dr. Jo Wilson is about to be prescribed some new, unanticipated drama.

Because in the wake of Cristina’s decision to take a job far, far away, Meredith will choose Alex to fill that void, as her “person.” And for someone who is able to get Alex to open up on a good day, Jo is caught off guard by the new demand on her beau’s time.

RELATED Fall TV Preview: Exclusive Scoop on 42 Returning Favorites, Including Grey’s

Here, British beauty Camilla Luddington previews all that’s ahead for Jo (including orbiting an Oscar winner), talks up the deadly Pact she made and teases her latest adventures in tomb raiding.

TVLINE | So the new season picks up, like, 24 hours later?
Yeah, I think maybe even less. You kind of just run right into the drama.

TVLINE | And what fresh drama awaits Jo?
Well, Meredith is leaning on Alex as her new “person,” because Cristina’s gone and he is the last remaining original intern. And — because I was trying to think back about this – I think Jo’s never actually witnessed that relationship before and the depth of it and how, with all of that gang, there were kind of no boundaries. It was like a family. So she sees that and is kind of taken aback, Grey's Anatomy Meredith Alexand is jealous, and doesn’t really know what to do. She wants to play it cool, but Meredith kind of wedges herself right into that relationship. It makes for some drama, but it makes for funny moments, too.

TVLINE | Is Jo jealous of the amount of time Alex is spending with Meredith, the quality of the time, the intensity…?
All of the above, all of it. I mean, if I was in that situation, I would have a fight about it because it’s way too much. But of course, for [Alex and Mer] it’s normal. He’s the person that Meredith wants to talk to constantly and Jo’s thinking, “Where has my boyfriend gone?”

VIDEO First Grey’s Anatomy Footage: Mer Finds Comfort in [Spoiler]’s Arms

TVLINE | What’s Jo’s take on what Cristina left for Alex? Is she like, “You hit the jackpot”? That it’s a sign for him to come back to the hospital?
Jo has that competitive nature in her, so it’s all about Team Alex, which you kind of get in the first episode. She thinks [joining the board] is the right thing to do, because Alex did have reservations about the job with “Dr. Butthole,” but he needed the money because he’s not very good at keeping up with his bills, as Jo discovered, horrified. To get on the board and be back at Grey Sloan would be the best of both worlds. Whether he gets on the board… you guys will have to find out.

TVLINE | On a scale of 1 to 10, where would you put their relationship right now?
It’s kind of not been addressed yet, so I would say maybe a 5 or a 6.

TVLINE | Wow, really?Grey's Anatomy Jo Alex
Because these two aren’t very good at communication. We know this. I mean, they really have to get it together. Jo really doesn’t want to have “that conversation” with him and there are episodes where she says, “Hey, I need some time with you.” She wants to play it cool, but that never helps.

VIDEO Grey’s Boss Shonda Rhimes Reflects on Show’s No. 1 Love Story

TVLINE | OK, enough about Alex. Is Jo feeling any solidarity with Stephanie, the other “surviving” member of Season 9’s intern class?
Actually, in the couple of scenes they have together, they’re very competitive, believing they now have a chance to stand out. They’ve seen someone fired, so it’s like, “OK, I really have to step it up or else I’m going to go too.” [Leah getting fired] kind of lit a fire under them. Except Jo also does kind of lean on Stephanie as a sounding board for her relationship with Alex.

TVLINE | What other storylines do you get to dip your toe into?
In the first episode, Jo is dealing with a case that she doesn’t want to be on. A couple has been trapped a car and they’re in a very compromising situation, having been involved in some “intimacy.” But Jo gets voted to go inside the car and help them.

TVLINE | Anything with Academy Award winner Geena Davis?
Oh, my gosh, I have had a couple of scenes with her, yes. I felt very cool. Her character is definitely someone to be afraid of. Jo always wants to be successful and for people to like her, and she’s someone that she wants to impress, but she’s so wonderful that it’s very difficult to do that.

RELATED Grey’s Anatomy Boss Shonda Rhimes Drops Bombshell: ‘I’m Not Going to Say Derek and Meredith Are Never Breaking Up’

TVLINE | You star in The Pact II, which has been on VOD The Pact II Luddington Lotzand hits theaters Oct. 10. Scariest thing you’ve ever done?
Yeah, probably. And you know what? I’m a huge horror movie fan, so I was excited to do something like that. When I watched the first movie [starring Caity Lotz, Arrow], I thought it was kind of creepy, so I thought, “Why not?” I definitely got some bruises doing some crazy stunts.

TVLINE | What happens to your character throughout the movie is quite disturbing.
It’s very messed up. I think actors always are attracted to characters that are a little bit disturbed and messy. She has a lot of issues with her mother, and there are points in the movie where she’s sort of questioning whether it’s all in her head.

TVLINE | Lastly, tell me what’s new and exciting with Tomb Raider…. [Luddington once again portrays Lara Croft in the latest videogame entry, Rise of the Tomb Raider, due out in 2015.]
I posted a picture of this, but I haven’t really spoken to anybody about it….. Usually with motion capture you have little dots on your face, and it’s 90 points of reference. The new thing they have is a fluorescent paint that gets airbrushed on your face and is over 7,000 points of reference.Rise of Tomb Raider It makes for a much more realistic [motion] capture.

TVLINE | Does she thus look more like Camilla Luddington than ever before?
When I got [cast for 2013’s] Tomb Raider, they had already made the face for Lara Croft, meshing a bunch of different features from people. And then they put some of my features into her. So it’s not that she’ll necessarily look exactly like me, but every single muscle that I move in my face, she’ll do the same thing — which is nuts.

TVLINE | What’s your favorite thing to do with Laura when you’re playing Tomb Raider yourself?
I’m really terrible at my own game, really bad. I know how to kill people — it just takes me forever. So when I finally kill the baddies, that is the best thing for me. And every time I die, I cringe!

TVLINE | And what’s your favorite method of killing?
I love the bow and arrow. She does get guns half way through, but I still love the bow and arrow. There’s something kind of sleek and cool about that.

Want more scoop on Grey’s Anatomy, or for any other show? Email insideline@tvline.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

1. JoeTV says:

Love her!

2. Grey's Fan says:

What about Ben? There are three residents left: Jo, Stephanie and Ben. You know Ben Warren; Bailey’s husband…

• Sara says:

He joined them in season 10, he wasn’t an intern in season 9.

• Grey's Fan says:

Yes, I know. But it seems everyone is writing it like only Jo and Stephanie are residents. want to know about Ben. I want to see Ben/Bailey working as a solid couple. Will Ben become a regular? We’ve had nothing on them yet.

Also, I predict Bailey will win the competition with Alex initially. I have to imagine Alex will have to BUY Cristina’s hospital shares, worth $15 million, and we know as of now Alex doesn’t have the cash to buy the shares. He’ll have to pay for them in installments. Yes, I’m being realistic, perhaps they’ll go for the fantasy on the show.

• Hannah says:

He can’t be a regular if he is one on Mistresses, which hasn’t been cancelled yet.

• Jorja Hoover says:

I wish Ben would be a regular, but I hardly doubt it. They are always left aside, which is sad, because they have lots of potentials. They’re my second favorite couple on the show, only behind Jolex.

And, for what I know, Cristina left for Alex the seat on the board and her shares. She now have Burke’s hospital, it kinda makes sense that she’s leaving everything behind.

3. N says:

She’s no Izzie!

• liz says:

no, she’s not and thank god for that.

• Claire says:

Thank God she’s not, or she’d be cheating on Alex with the ghost of her ex fiancé and then leave him after having his full support during her cancer.

• Hannah says:

There was no ghost, she was masturbating alone while having visions.

• Jorja Hoover says:

But she thought there was. She may have not cheated on him fisically, but she did emotionally, which is even worse and completely unfair. It was very clear that she wanted both men when Alex baked a cake for her brithday and she was happy because she was seeing her true love there too.

• GA_fan says:

Yeah, and Alex never ever never ever cheated on Izzie. Like say with nurse Olivia? Izzie at least was sick. Alex was not.

• Claire says:

To GAFan: Yes Alex cheated and I definitely am not defending that, but he spent most of s5 trying to make it up to her, and Izzie was the one who wanted to rekindle things with him and that’s why she told him that she cared about him. They started a real relationship in s5, but clearly she hadn’t forgiven him or trusted him completely, so she walked out on him in s6 after all he did for her with the cancer. And I think when you talk about going steady in s5 whereas they hadn’t had a real relationship in s2 before the cheating happened, then you shouldn’t kiss and have sex with the hallucination of your ghost fiancé because that is mentally cheating. Even physically since she kept saying how real Ghost Denny felt to her. But honestly I never had the feeling that Izzie loved Alex as much as she loved either Denny or George, so for all I care she can be happy somewhere in Tacoma or anywhere else, as long as she doesn’t come back ever. Even Justin Chambers said that he doesn’t want Izzie to come back, maybe solely for closure purposes, but never to get back together with Alex, because their relationship wasn’t good. He stated that in one of his interviews, and I think this should make you think.

• Letícia Rocha Ribeiro says:

And since when he cheating on her with Olivia one year earlier is an excuse for her to do the same? If she said she forgave him, she should’ve forgiven completely, or she should never get back together with him. Did you ever see Cristina saying that she slept with Shane because Owen cheated on her? Izzie never really forgave Alex. She never really valued him. She never really saw how amazing he is. I dare to say that she never really loved him, she was just too selfish to let him be with someone else, which she admitted herself when he said he was going to see someone (Rebecca) at the end of season 3.

• GA_fan says:

To Claire: And what interview might that be? When all that happened JC said that he can’t believe Alex gave up on her that fast. Shonda made a quick decision and basically threw Izzie under the bus just because KH was leaving. But she DID come back and it was Alex who left Iz. I’m not saying Iz did the right thing by leaving in the first place but she DID come back. So Alex left Iz, not the other way around. And he really wasn’t that supportive anyway….. He didn’t even touch her or talked to her, because he was scared. Iz at that point had lost everything. She was sick, George died, she lost her job, and Alex was all over the place. No wonder she broke and left to think things through. She didn’t leave because of what happened in s2. She left because everthing that happened in s6. But ultimately it was Alex who called it quits. A thing that even JC doens’t understand and he has said that he misses working with KH. JC and KH are really good friends still….

• GA_fan says:

To Letícia Rocha Ribeiro: The talk between Izzie and Alex about her not wanting to see him with anyone else was sweet and neither was being selfish. They were just sweet. And Izzie was there for Alex when Ava-rebecca got grazy. And Alex was there for Izzie when Denny died. The difference Iz didn’t act like a jerk. Alex did. Go back and watch the beginning of s5 when Alex threw all that support Iz gave him back on her face and brought back a chick again and then smirked when Iz looked crushed. Iz did love him, it’s not her fault that she got a braintumor that caused her to see ghost. But she DID love him and at the end it was Alex who could not forgive Iz was leaving for a while after she thought Alex betrayed her to the chief. And added to that she was sick, George died and she lost her job. No wonder she had to leave for a while to think things through. But she came back after she realized Alex could not betray her to the chief. And he made the decision to end things.

• Mire says:

Yeah, Jo stinks! Izzie was awesome!

4. Mary says:

I hope this won’t cause Alex and Jo to break up, but I can’t really see that happen because of Alex spending time with Mer. But from what it looks like Mer will be spending TOO much time with Alex. Any girlfriend would probably be disturbed by that, I hope the viewers will cut Jo some slack and the writers won’t make her look bad in this story.

5. I didn’t know she was Lara Croft. The reboot game was awesome. Now I have to go back and play just to hear her voice. I also love the bow and arrow and play just like her. Can kill but it takes forever. lol I hope her and Alex make it. She’s just going to have to be understanding of mer/alex’s relationship.

6. Jorja Hoover says:

I hope this lead them to finally start to communicate better and understand what they want for their relationship. I know they are crazy in love with each other and I believe that they will not break up definitely, but they still have so many issues to work on!

7. GA_fan says:

Wished they had cast a better actress to play Dr. Jo Wilson. CL does a really poor job trying to make Jo believable. She is so focused on looking pretty that she does not know how to be “ugly” and cannot show any real emotions on her face. When Jo is sad she looks pretty, when she’s angry she looks pretty, when she cries she looks pretty ect. CL doesn’t know how to work with her face. 2 seasons now and she hasn’t improved at all. Also I find it embarrasing how she acts like them teen jolex fans on twitter. No serious actor goes on to twitter to hype their on-screen relationship like she does. She acts like a jolexfan and not like an GA’s actress.

• Rachel says:

Have you really watched her? I think she’s doing a great job with the stories she’s been given. And when she has an emotional scene she’s just not over the top, it’s very understated and beautiful. Like when jimmy died. It wasn’t appropriate for jo to be broken down and weepy, but CL did an amazing job with that showing her sadness and regret for alex while still being strong for him.

As far as the Twitter goes I don’t see anything wrong with her being a fan and showing how much she enjoys her work when so many actors and actresses act like what they do is the biggest chore and are ungrateful for what they’ve been given. I really find a majority of the current cast very refreshing in the way they show how they enjoy themselves at work and how they appreciate the characters and storyline a they play on social media.

• GA_fan says:

Of course I have watched her, otherwise I wouldn’t be saying it. I’ve watched every single episode of GA. And I’m sorry what stories? She hasn’t been given any stories. They create her for Alex, so that Alex would have someone after all this time. Jo Wilson cannot as a character stand on her own two feet. She’s not a person, she’s just half of a coupIe. And I don’t mean she has to weep and cry like a river. I’m just saying that CL is a very pretty girl, and she knows it. A really good actor is not afraid to look “ugly” (and I don’t mean that literally). But as an actress CL just doesn’t know how to show emotions with her face that are believable. Sorry, if that offends some of her fans, but to me she just looks pretty all the time and is afraid to act with her face (like the so-called fight with Alex where they made it seem to others that they broke up. JC was really killing it and he made it believable, CL was dreadful).
        And enjoying your work and appreaciating that you have a job is one thing, but CL acts like a teenage jolex fan, she tweets too much about jolex, it’s like she’s afraid that the writers will kill jolex and she’s trying to create too much hype. None of the other actors on the show act like teenager in love about their on-screen relationship. I just find it a slight embarrasing. Sorry

• Ray says:

That fight wasn’t supposed to be believable, if you haven’t noticed. Not even Justin Chambers was acting believable, since Alex isn’t a professional actor either. And what kind of a statement is this about Camilla not wanting to be ugly? Do you still remember how Jo looked in the last episodes of s9? Bruised and battered, without any make up on? And she was crying all the time, not caring in the least how she looked. I’m sorry but what you write is just offensive and stupid. Camilla has also been a huge Grey’s fan before she even started starring on the show herself, so it is no wonder that she is acting like a fangirl. And so what if she tweets about Jolex? Do you have to follow her? Sandra Oh and Kevin McKidd have been the hugest Crowen shippers and it’s just endearing. It’s even better if actors fully support their ship. And Jo is not just half of a couple, yes she was brought in for Alex, but so were Owen for Cristina, Arizona for Callie, Henry for Teddy, Callie for George etc. She will get her storylines as the seasons progress, but there are so many other characters on the show and they can’t give everyone storylines immediately. Alex didn’t have a good storyline until Ava showed up in season 3 and he was an original cast member. All the stupid Jo hate is reaaaally annoying because most of it is very hypocritical.

• Letícia Rocha Ribeiro says:

The truth is: People don’t have an real reason to hate Jo, so they create their own. It’s sad for them, you know? Not for us, we can be happy not only for Alex being in a good relationship for the first time (Justin’s words, not mine), but also for having Camilla, who is a blessing for the real fans. She being such a fangirl is a good thing, at least we know that she won’t wake up one day and decide that she is gonna leave her job for nothing.

• GA_fan says:

I’m talking about her FACE, not how the makeup was done. Of course she had to look bruised, but she didn’t act the part. She doesn’t ACT and show different emotions. She has only one look on her face all the time whether she is told to act sad, happy, angry, confused. With some of the actors on the show you can tell every emotion they are having by just looking in their eyes. But now with CL cause she is not a good actress. Sorry, but that is my opinion and I’m allowed to have it. And about the fight, yes it was to be believable. They had to make it look to the other doctors like they were really breaking up. JC did an amazing job in it and looked really angry and sounded angry. CL was rubbish in trying to look sad and cry. She didn’t know how to cry, she didn’t look sad. It was all just forced.

• Letícia Rocha Ribeiro says:

It’s funny that nobody says anything when she acts like a teen shipper of MerDer, Japril or Calzona (which she already said she is). It’s funny that nobody says anything about Sarah Drew and Jesse Williams shipping their characters. It’s funny that nobody says anything about Ellen saying how lucky she is for kissing Patrick. You people make me sick with your stupid reasons to hate on Camilla. Her being too pretty bothers you, seriously? Do you that it’s not on her, right? That she is not the one that decides how her make up or her hair is gonna look? Good.

• GA_fan says:

Excuse me? When did I say that I hate her. When did I say that I hate her for being pretty. That is a compliment. She is a very pretty girl. All I said was that she is a bad actress, that is my opinion and I am allowed to have it. If you wanna think that she is worthy of an oscar, then that is your opinion and that’s fine. I’m not gonna attack you for it. All I said was that this show has great actors who are not afraid to give it all their got when acting different emotions, but CL in too concetrated into looking as the best she is and she is afraid to really let go. I’m not saying you have to become red in the face when acting mad or have snot coming out when acting sad. But our faces do change when we get angry or when we cry, with Camilla no change. And since when has SD or JW spent the entire day in twitter tweeting about japri? I’ve never seen them acting like teenagers on twitter. Or EP, they act normal and tweet abotu GA, but they are not some teenshippers of their on-screen romances. If it doesn’t bother you, well then GREAT.