Ratings: Gotham Cops Good Numbers But Sleepy Slips, Blacklist Returns Strong, Bang Still Very Big, Voice Drops

Gotham_pilot_AlleywayGothamTheater_3310

Annnnnd…. we’re off!

The Fall TV season began in earnest on Monday, with The Big Bang Theory‘s season-opening double-pump dominating the night with 18.1 million total viewers and a 5.4 demo rating (per finals) — up from its May finale and matching its year-ago, Thursday premiere.

Leading out of that, Scorpion — which TVLine readers gave an average grade of “B” — launched with 13.8 mil and a 3.2, up sharply from both what CBS sitcoms averaged in the 9 o’clock hour a year ago (8.4 mil/2.7) and Hostages‘ premiere (7.5 mil/1.8, at 10 pm).

Under the Dome‘s season finale (average grade: “B-“) closed the Eye’s night with 7.6 mil/1.8, up 9 percent and two tenths week-to-week.

Elsewhere….

FOX | Gotham (average grade: “B+”) debuted to 8.2 million viewers and a strong 3.2 rating, up from both Bones‘ year-ago performance (7.8 mil/2.3) as Monday’s lead-off hitter and giving Fox its best Mondays-at-8 series launch since Prison Break in 2005. Sleepy Hollow followed with 5.5 mil/2.0, down from both its year-ago debut (10 mil/3.5) and its January finale (6.9 mil/2.3), but it should be noted that this show’s a big DVR gainer.

NBC | The Voice returned to 13 mil/3.9, dropping 13 and 23 percent from its previous fall opener (and well shy of its February premiere, 15.9 mil/4.7), hitting a series low for a premiere. The Blacklist (12.3 mil/3.4) was off 10 percent from its Season 1 premiere, yet scored its second-best demo rating ever.

ABC | Dancing With the Stars (12.8 mil/2.2) dipped 6 and 8 percent versus stiffer competition, while Forever sneak-peeked to 8.6 mil/1.7 (versus Castle‘s year-ago 11.5 mil/2.2), outdrawing the Dome finale.

THE CW | Top Model (800K/0.3) was down 20 and 25 percent.

NEXT MONDAY: CBS’ Mom and NCIS: Los Angeles and ABC’s Castle premiere.

1. BetiSA says:

oops, low numbers for ABC, if Castle season premiere gets 1.7 next Monday we should be happy. (?)

• Moment says:

Castle is a fairly stable series, it averaged between 1.7-2.2 last season. Something along these lines for a premiere and I think most Castle fans should be happy.

• Doris says:

Yes, we castle fans should be happy that the #s will hold or maybe increase . Fingers crossed that Castle will continue to ok. My family and I really love castle!

2. guy says:

Hey, TV didn’t do so bad last night! (Or maybe I’m less cynical these days?)

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

The Internet welcomes the less-cynical. Too many doomsayers anymore.

• Angela says:

Amen to that.
        In some ways I’m not too surprised that “Sleepy Hollow” might slip a little ratings-wise-the length of time off the air and the insane amount of things on TV last night certainly would’ve had an effect somewhere along the way. But still, the numbers it did get aren’t bad in and of themselves, and as noted, if it does well in DVR viewings, then that makes up for it :) (I personally did watch it live, but I also didn’t record a zillion other shows last night, too). Hopefully the ratings can move up from here again as the show goes on.

• Moment says:

Only the C3 ratings matter for networks, judging a renewal based on the Live+7 means nothing. Not all Nielsens watch the adverts.

• Name That Tune says:

We now have live+30.

Streaming media counts.

And they’re selling commercials on the streaming sites.

• Moment says:

I know but the very suggestion that a show will be renewed because it does well in the Live+7 is ludicrous. Networks get nothing if the DVR followers skip the adverts.

• Angela says:

I’m not well-versed in the specifics of ratings. I was just simply throwing out a couple ideas why the show might’ve been down a bit on that front/agreeing with the article’s note that people probably DVR’d it, too. As a viewer/fan of the series, so long as people are watching the show in some form or another, that’s all I care about, personally. That’s what I mainly meant with that post.
            I do know, though, that DVR results don’t mean the same as live viewing for the network heads, and that the Nielsen ratings are still the big concern for them. As for your comment elsewhere about renewals…again, that’s an area I have no expertise in/am crap at predicting, so no comment there, other than I do hope this particular show DOES get more seasons :).

• David4 says:

They can always burn the show off on Fridays like they did for Fringe. :)

• robinepowell says:

I watched Sleepy Hollow too and loved how Icabod got out of his coffin and got Abby out of Purgatory.

• Angela says:

Same here :D. Some good thinking all around last night. And the reunion between Ichabod and Abbie was just wonderful to see.

3. emadram says:

Fingers crossed that FOREVER does well. I love Ioan Gruffud!

• N says:

I love Ioan, too!

• CF says:

I was with you but the premier didn’t do much for me. I may give it another go just for Gruffud but ‘mystery caller’ was a major turnoff for me.

• Michael Westen says:

I agree. I am really not interested at all in the mystery-caller plot. I’m much more interested in the plot about Detective Martinez finding out about Henry’s secret. I also thought the part about his “son” was a nice touch, and would like to see more of that story. Maybe Abe growing up or something.

• GhostWolf says:

Hope so too. The pilot was also found on Amazon and possibly other outlets so maybe it might have had better numbers if sampling didn’t occur earlier.

• gg says:

I liked it more than I thought I would, and was delighted and surprised by the little revelation around Judd Hirsch’s character. Maybe others saw it coming, but I didn’t. I loved it and his interaction with Ioan Gruffud. Can you believe Hirsch is almost 80?

• Georgia Madman says:

The lady cop ain’t too shabby either! Its on my watch list.

• Michael Westen says:

Remember, it’s a two-night premiere. Tuesday at 10 is its regular time so it will be going up against Person of Interest and Chicago Fire.

4. wrstlgirl says:

Very happy to see that for Gotham. I really want this show to make it. Haven’t watched Scorpion or Forever yet but I’ve heard nothing but great things about both.

5. herman1959 says:

There was so much TV “traffic” on Monday that I’m not putting a lot of store in ratings at this point. I’d wait a couple of weeks (after the other big premieres) before attempting to make sense of it all. Maybe it’s just me, but I feel like the picture will be clearer then.

• Michael Westen says:

Ever since about 2 years ago, Monday nights have been hectic on TV. Last year, Intelligence was cancelled because it was going up against Castle and The Blacklist at the same time. Now we have Scorpion to add into the mix too. You know, just a few years ago, Thursdays were the big TV night. It switches around.

• Sara says:

I think it depends on the shows the majority watch. My busiest nights are still Sun & Thu

• Ally Oop says:

Mondays were my busiest nights last year and they are even busier this year, even surpassing my very busy Thursdays. I wish Originals had stayed on Tuesdays cause the only thing on Tuesday I plan on watching is Selfie.

6. ArchieLeach says:

I liked the parts of Gotham with Gordon. It felt like Twin Peaks in a city. But the stuff with young bruce had some pretty terrible dialogue and felt like they were forcing their stories together. Judging from the previews for the next episode it looks like this show will be more about young bruce than not which is a bit of a shame.

7. Sweetpea says:

Yay for Scorpion but not happy with Forever’s numbers. I actually liked it better and hopefully it’ll do better tonight.

• bj says:

Don’t forget that copies of the Forever premiere were online weeks ago so some people may not have rewatched it. ( I didn’t since I’ve watched it a few times already and there was a lot on last night.) I think tonight’s number should reflect the viewers more accurately.

• Moment says:

While Scorpion had a great premiere, it won’t have TBBT as a lead in next week, it will have Mom which should cause it to lose a few tenths. That being said I think it’ll still do very well and get renewed.

8. mollytanner says:

I needed to DVR everything to watch the Bears game and am already so far behind. Only watched Under the Dome which was ridiculous this whole season, but last night was a great episode with Big Jim finally going fully crazy and my least favorite character getting the axe (or hammer). NBC looks pretty stable. Kat McPhee winning so far vs. Sleepy Hollow, CBS must be happy.

9. Coal says:

I was really interested in seeing The Voice numbers against TBBT, I knew TBBT was going to win, but damn 5.3 in the demo ? Can any scripted show rival the numbers of this juggernaut ? As for Sleepy Hollow are those numbers good or bad for a FOX show ?

10. greysfan says:

Mondays have become relevant again. Scorpion was a great pilot, can’t believe all the people dissing it before the premiere. Has a great cast and i think has huge potential. Great to see The Blacklist return so high too. I hope Castle returns well next week. Big Bang is a beast as i expected it to be while Gotham was ok. Not what i was thinking it would be. I haven’t watched Sleepy Hollow yet. Too many shows on Mondays now. Under the Dome did ok for the finale too. I hope we get a season 3.

11. Dennis says:

Gotham was ok, not too great, very Nolan. I was more interested in the younger characters, as far as I know almost nothing about Bruce Wayne’s life is covered until year one which sounds interesting to me.
    I only watched Scorpion to give it a try it didn’t seem to engaging from the previews but I was pleasantly surprised by it.
    Didn’t bother with forever.

12. Sherri says:

Monday night TV has certainly become much more interesting! In our home, Dancing and Voice lost out to other programming. TBBT was excellent. I like that Penny is trying something new and am intrigued by the Stuart/ Howard’s mom storyline. We enjoyed the Scorpion premiere and will definitely watch it again. Blacklist has already posed so many more questions. I love it!

13. I think Forever will be higher tonight and next week. I know DirecTV had the entire first episode available to watch On-Demand. I think that hurt the premier. I hope that’s why the numbers were low b/c I really like this show and hope it stays around.

14. Boiler says:

Sort of surprised at Big Bang numbers. I still enjoy the show but didn’t think started as good as last year. Seems to me about 9 to 10 million more people watched network TV last night than before Big Bang

• Andrea says:

I agree. I watched TBBT live, and I thought it was fine, but I didn’t think there was anything particularly noteworthy about it. Have to watch Blacklist, Forever, and Scorpion, but I’m hoping for good vibes for Ioan. LOVED him on Ringer! (Yes, I watched that!)

15. Moment says:

Very worrying that Sleepy Hollow scored a series low on its Season debut. I hope it doesn’t go down from here. Next week should be telling but I’m hoping out hope.

• Fido says:

Maybe a load watched the opening 15mins, said “so wait, they’ve time jumped so we don’t get to see how they escaped from last season’s cliff hanger, booooo, I say booo, I’m turning over in disgust” and then turned over in disgust – which IS very nearly what I did. Luckily I stayed with it. :)

• Moment says:

Perhaps, I have no idea why some people stopped watching, but I do hope they come back!

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Ha, I myself had to check and make sure I hadn’t accidentally hit play on Episode 2!

• Moment says:

So what happened to my reply to Name That Tune? Surely I haven’t irritated a TVline staff member by correcting him? We all know that networks make money from the C3 ratings for their shows, everything else listed by him shows what level of viewership a show has and nothing more.

• Angela says:

Good point. Those first fifteen minutes or so didn’t bother me, ’cause thanks to the articles I’d read over the past month I knew that their escape from Purgatory was going to be dealt with at some point. So I was prepared to see how and when it would happen in the episode. But I can see where those who don’t pay as much attention to that stuff would’ve been confused and wondering what was going on, yeah :p.

16. SherryB says:

Watched Big Bang, don’t like Penny’s hair at all…..Sleepy Hollow was GREAT!! It may have lost viewers because they kept us waiting FOREVER for the 2nd season…I DVR 90% of the shows I watch so tonight will be catch-up time for some of the other premiers and finales..

17. John NYC says:

“17.9 million total viewers and a 5.3 demo rating ” for TBBT.

WooHoo! Love that show.

18. suzyku says:

I don’t know how anyone else feels but Big Bang was simply not as funny as it used to be! We were disappointed in both episodes and although we kind of “chuckled” a couple of times, that was it! I sure hope that it goes back to the way it was–really funny!

19. Babybop says:

I feel like Sleepy Hollow caters to a college age demo, and almost everyone my age and in my Film and TV courses (people you think would be most likely to watch live) watches TV primarily online. Maybe that’s why the ratings aren’t so high… Because it’s definitely not the quality. The show is SO good.

• John NYC says:

“Quality” and attracting viewers isn’t necessarily all that tightly linked. And “quality” is, at the end, in the eyes of the beholder. Sleepy Hallow is a lot like Buffy: appeals to a certain mindset and not to others. Quality aside.

And also all that has to happen is that a show appeals to people with the means to own TiVo’s and other DVRS: then live viewing get’s skewed by timeshiftimg and the mess that is counter programming.

• Angela says:

That’d be an interesting survey! I’d like to know the specific info on that, too. See how many in that age group like fantasy/supernatural shows in general, or if the mostly younger cast appeals to them, or whatever.
      Myself, I’m out of the college age demo as I’m nearly 30, but I love the show, mostly because of the awesome cast chemistry and the characters themselves. And I still watch TV shows on an actual TV set, and live as often as possible. So I would probably stick out a bit in terms of this show’s viewership statistics :p.

20. Debby says:

I have often wondered if Castle and Bones share the same Casting Director because many of the guest stars have appeared in both shows.

21. Joey Padron says:

Glad Gotham did well in the ratings. Hope Under The Dome will come back for one more season.

22. John NYC says:

“Bang Still Very Big”

Knee slapper, that.

23. robinepowell says:

I guess a lot of people didn’t realize SH was back yet. Hopefully next week will do better.

24. Moment says:

Forever fans rejoice, you’ve been adjusted up to a 1.7 in the final numbers.

25. WenRaz says:

Sleepy Hollow and The Blacklist are appointment TV for me. I never understood the appeal of TBBT and nothing will ever surpass the magic of Maks and Meryl, so DWTS is done. Of course, I don’t have the all-powerful Nielsen box, so my viewership doesn’t count. Until that obsolete system is done away with, the networks will never have an accurate account of live viewership.

• Moment says:

Networks want a C7 system to replace the current C3 system, this should account for 7 days worth of Live + DVR commercial viewing, it would be hugely beneficial to quite a few shows should it come about.

• WenRaz says:

It’s still not going to be accurate if it’s not available to everybody, not just a random sample of the population. However, I suppose it’s a small step in the right direction.

• Moment says:

But it should add to the amount of revenue a show brings in to a network. A .2/.3 gain from converting to a C7 system would bring in a fair amount of extra money and increase a shows profitability.

26. Ally Oop says:

Monday’s first two hours are tough timeslots. I watch nothing live but I’d pick Big Bang Theory over Gotham and Sleepy Hollow over Scorpion although I like all 4. It’s the only night of CBS I plan to watch.

27. Hannah says:

I really hope Sleepy Hollow holds on this season. It’s great.

28. Bette says:

Excellent, on all shows, loved all the shows, I was not disappointed, but amaze and could not move from the TV.

29. TG says:

Sleepy Hollow was awesome!!

30. I really wish networks would count VOD numbers! They’re are so many good shows in the same time slots that you can’t watch them all (I don’t have a DVR), so I watch one and catch up on the rest with VOD. Before you know it, you start to get invested in a new show and it’s cancelled!

31. Emilia says:

These Kids Games are becoming more and more popular by the day.
    Along with it are four other boards that have the same basic design and caters different classes in society.

Some of these action and strategy games are Sea of
    fire, Midnight strike, World domination, and Samurai.