Ratings: Madam Secretary Samples Well, Good Wife Premiere Dips

Madam Secretary Ratings

With the final numbers now in, CBS’ Madam Secretary premiered on Sunday night to 14.8 million total viewers and a 2.0 demo rating — improving upon The Amazing Race‘s year-ago audience by 65 percent and matching the demo delivery of the reality vet.

TVLine readers gave the series premiere an average grade of “B+.” UPDATE: CBS will encore Madam Secretary this Saturday at 8/7c.

Leading out of that — at a few minutes past 10 pm for Eastern/Central time zones — The Good Wife‘s great season opener (average grade “A-“) retained 11 mil and a 1.4, up in eyeballs but down a tenth from its previous premiere, yet up from its May finale (9.1 mil/1.2). That marks TGW’s largest premiere audience since 2011.

Stalwart 60 Minutes opened the Eye’s night with 17.9 mil/3.5, up hugely from a year ago and — if the numbers come at all close to holding — marking seven- and nine-year highs.

Dominating the night, NBC Sunday Night Football (Steelers/Panthers) drew 19.7 mil and a 7.8 (per finals).

Over on Fox, the network’s very final fresh American Dad (3 mil/1.5) ticked up two tenths week-to-week. (The series jumps to TBS with Season 11 on Oct. 20.)

1. Moment says:

Both 60 minutes and Madam Secretary were inflated by the Football. Also Madam Secretary clearly didn’t have the effect CBS were looking for, it didn’t boost The Good Wife at all, as Good Wife drew a 1.3 18-49 which is pretty bad for a season premiere.

2. Coal says:

1.3 ? Really this rating system continues confound me. I know the usual rhetoric here is that CBS is watched by “old people” to use the term loosely, but the more youth oriented CW isn’t exactly killing it in the ratings. I’d assume the numbers of The Voice and Scandal are going to be impressive, so does that mean this is the favored programming for 18-49 year olds ?

• herman1959 says:

Scandal does have very high ratings for viewers AND demo which is why it is ONE of the most favored. This means the show is killing it in the ratings in any age category, so yes, Scandal is One of the most favored. That said, I wouldn’t get stuck on ratings, just watch what you like because it you don’t it gets cancelled FAST.

• herman1959 says:

Sorry, I hit “Post Comment” before I realized I had repeated myself (…Scandal is the one of the most favored). HA…I think you get my point!

• leena says:

I don’t get it either. Seeing as barely anyone “in the demo” a)watches tv traditionally or b) has a damn Neilson box.

• Prish says:

I assume the demo does have a nelson box. I know from personal experience nelson is very meticulous about contacting households, using a random sampling system. Years ago, I answered the phone and, actually, got the question, “This is N…, and would you be interested in…etc.?” I guess they keep calling until they fill their statistical quotas. Ours was only for 5 years, I think, as a community somethingorother. When we moved about 3 years later, we were dropped. Some households are a 2 years as a something else. They can see the age of the household when they install the equipment, btw. When I took social psychology class, the professor said the most accurate research in the world was nelson. just saying.

3. leahbh says:

the good wife was at 9 central time, not 10. It was over at almost exactly 10pm, i know, because I looked at the clock.

I thought Madam Secretary was ok. I’ll give it a few more episodes. I really like Tea Leoni (i used to watch the naked truth!)

The Good Wife was awesome.

• Paul says:

Ratings follow Eastern Standard Time airings. It uses EST because of the possibility of live events.

• Fran says:

She actually mentioned the central time thing because the article says it aired at 10pm Eastern/Central time. I guess it actually didn’t? I’m on the east coast so I wouldn’t know.

4. delfiteblu says:

I’m REALLY REALLY glad I didn’t skip the “first” showing of Madam Secretary and plan to watch it AFTER Good Wife since it wasn’t ON after TGW. I don’t understand why. The schedule was a half hour behind to begin with, with the shows starting a half hour late and overtime only added a half hour, so they were only an hour behind. They’ve gone way later than THAT after football. I’m glad I did get to see it – I thought it was great.

• herman1959 says:

I didn’t watch Madame Secretary since I’ll be watching different Sunday programs next week, but I had to comment about this football mess. It’s crazy, but I hope the network can make it work for you Madame Secretary/Good Wife fans. Good Luck.

• Moment says:

The Good Wife doesn’t have much to worry about assuming it doesn’t drop much further. It will likely get a final season based on the critical acclaim and syndication deal which is quite lucrative for CBS.

5. leena says:

loved Madam Secretary. Teo Leoni is a badass and the show has a lot of potential. Paired with The Good Wife was awesome. power-hour double feature.

6. Krenshall says:

The Good Wife premiere was ‘okay’. I wouldn’t call it awesome or even ‘above average’. The problem is that the series fell back into its old shoes after that ‘death’ episode and hasn’t maintained that same level of quality. I’ve grown tired of these episodes that stretch on what seems to be forever. Star Trek Enterprise did this, Suits did this, and now it’s infected The Good Wife like a rotten parasite.

7. Television says:

Madam Secretary was a snooze fest. I wanted to like it, but the teenagers are not believeable and the main actress her voice sounds like a slurring drunk. I can’t take watching it, because of her voice. Plus it is the same thing, predictable.

8. Sidney says:

Hard to give it a grade when only half of it aired.

9. xwiseguyx says:

I wasn’t sure I was even going to stick with Madam Secretary at the beginning (started out kinda dull) but glad a watched as it got better and better throughout the hour… I will definitely be a return viewer either live or through DVR.. it’s a great fit after 60 minutes. And about the demo, if CBS expected this show to demo higher than it did (considering their Sunday night lineup), they never would have given this show the green light. It’s evident they are going for a quality night of overall viewers and not trying to be the next CW.

• Moment says:

It’s best to judge these numbers based on the Sunday Final Ratings when released. There will be a few adjustments down to say the least.

10. Gwen says:

Stupid football…

11. HAP says:

I relied on several sources (i.e. this site, the LA Times and TV Guide) which all had Madam Secretary repeating at 10pm Pacific, so I watched Ray Donovan at 8. Just have to make note of the repeat Saturday to check it out. Any idea how pissed I was when CSI began at 10?

• ninamags says:

OMG!! That totally happened to me as well. I didn’t watch at 7 PM when it aired at first, figuring I would watch it at 9 PM. I was so ticked off when it didn’t air again!!!

I wonder what happened. I guess I’ll have to watch it On Demand later, if I have time.

12. mathman says:

2016???? the text from the russian “the boys are in the air” had a date of march 2016. went back looked twice

13. Ry says:

The Good Wife – best drama on TV!!! Why does CBS shove it on Sunday knowing there is going to be a time issue… move it to another night so it can really shine. Love the cast!!!

14. terrie eichenlaub says:

Love Dion Graham on madame secretary.