Under the Dome Recap: Chester's Chill

Under the Dome Season 2 Episode 11

We’re in the home stretch of Under the Dome‘s sophomore season, and in this Monday’s episode, the outlook seemed bleaker than ever for folks in Chester’s Mill.

Indeed, the plummeting temperatures that came about last week — er, two days ago, in Chester’s Mill time — have gotten worse, turning the town into a frozen tundra. How did our gang of misfits handle the crisis? Read on for the finer details of “Black Ice”:

RELATED  It’s Official: James Corden to Replace Craig Ferguson as Late Late Show Host

MAKING AMENDS | When the town begins to freeze over, Rebecca leads the efforts to turn the high school into a triage center. The first patient? Melanie — though her issues are hardly related to the cold. Instead, Sam and Junior are trying to sustain her after the egg-induced earthquake caused her to collapse. Plus, Melanie’s having an intense physical response (seizures, a weak pulse, the works) to all research that’s being done on the egg, which has landed in Zenith and is zapping away anyone that comes near it.

Also at the high school, Pauline gives Big Jim a majorly cold shoulder for tossing the egg over the cliff’s edge. Not only has the passage to Zenith been closed off, but Pauline’s visions have stopped and Lyle is still nowhere to be found. (Talk about putting all your eggs in one basket, eh? Thanks, I’ll be here all week!) Big Jim gives his usual spiel about doing it all for the sake of his family, but Pauline’s having none of it. Instead, she sits by Melanie’s bedside — the first time they’ve seen each other in person since “that night at the crater” — and apologizes for, y’know, leaving Melanie dead in a ditch 25 years earlier. Best friends forever…..?

TURN THE DOME AROUND | Elsewhere, Hunter, Joe and Norrie head to the edge of the dome to see if the egg’s swan dive caused the dome to come down. No such luck (obviously), but there is something curious going on at the barrier: The dome is actually rotating, something Joe learns the hard way when he momentarily gets his hand stuck to the frozen glass of the dome. (Come on, Joe, haven’t you ever seen A Christmas Story? You should know better.) The trio share their findings with Rebecca, who determines that the atmosphere inside the dome is inverting — in other words, all the cold air is getting pulled down, hence the Frozen situation we have going on here.

Later, Norrie and Joe (finally) get suspicious of Hunter, particularly his fascination with the egg. When Hunter follows a distraught Norrie out into the hallway, Joe takes this opportunity to rummage through Hunter’s things — and finds plenty of incriminating evidence against the tech whiz, including e-mails from Don Barbara re: research on the egg, as well as a notepad that Hunter’s been using to have egg-cellent chats with the guards outside the dome. Unfortunately for Hunter, Norrie informs him that it won’t do any good to poke and prod the egg in Zenith, considering the only people who can safely touch it are inside the dome. Oops.

RELATED  CBS Fall TV Scoops: Big Road Trip, POI Problems, Defiant Good Wife and More

ICE, ICE, BABY | Barbie and Julia are driving an ambulance over to the Sweetbriar Rose, where they plan to pick up food and bring it back to the school. But when Barbie swerves on a patch of ice, the ambulance overturns and Julia — who, darn the bad timing, was attempting to tie down a gurney in the back — takes a metal rod straight through her leg. At first, staying in the ambulance for warmth seems like a swell plan (and Barbie shows off his MacGyver skills by fashioning a candle from petroleum jelly), but a window in the ambulance roof cracks and shatters. So, there goes that.

But wait! There’s a bright side! Kind of! Barbie realizes that he can remove the rod from Julia’s leg without her bleeding out, but he has to induce hypothermia so her blood flow will slow. (I cannot even comprehend the level of trust that this Barbie/Julia relationship requires. Remember that one time he killed her husband?) But the plan works, after all: Barbie removes the rod, performs some touch-and-go CPR on his woman and, once Julia comes to, they cozy up by the oven/fire. Nothing more romantic than a near-death experience.

Other highlights of the hour:

* Upon visiting the lake to see if any boats will have spare fuel (spoiler alert: they do!), Big Jim rescues Lyle, who has finally emerged from the water and shares his visions of the world going up in flames very soon.

* At daybreak, the temperature in Chester’s Mill thankfully creeps back up, but Rebecca notices the barometric pressure is higher than it should be. (I sense another Disaster of the Week in the near future!)

* Joe and Norrie follow Hunter to the dome’s edge, where he’s exchanging more notes with a guard on the other side. They’re rightfully furious at first, until Hunter shows them his latest message: “Stop examining the egg. Potential catastrophic effect for Zenith.” So he’s on their side after all! But the happy moment is fleeting — as are all happy moments in Chester’s Mill — when the dome suddenly produces an ear-splitting shriek… and actually starts contracting.

OK, your turn. What did you think of the episode? Didn’t Barbie and Julia’s hypothermia scenes seem like a less tragic Titanic? And might this week’s product placement for the Toyota Prius be the show’s most blatant yet? Hit the comments!

1. adimike55 says:

No, most blatant is Windows Surface.

I’m waiting for the dome to go zombie.

2. Dante says:

Yea totally got the Titanic vibe! I love being hooked on this show…every week they grab me and have me wanting more!

3. hud says:

I have been under the impression this was a one season show.If CBS is going to drag this story into more than the remaining ep. left please say so. This season must be one and done.

4. Coal says:

To anyone who’s read the book is the Tv show staying true the book or has it taken its own route ?

• SK says:

Totally taken its own route. I wished it was the limited series it was touted to be in the beginning then, I would think it would be closer to the book. But not anymore, so if you’re expecting the book version, you’ll be disappointed. Otherwise, it has gotten a bit better.

• Coal says:

Oh, thanks. I remember watching the first couple of episodes of Season 1 thinking how brilliant the show was and how it made me want to read the book. I happy to hear that the book will still be a good read.

• Audrey says:

I think you should read the book, I couldn’t put it down a few years ago when I read it. It bothered me at first, but I actually enjoy that the series has taken a major departure from the book. I have accepted that it is a completely different story inspired by the book. But yes, the first season was very much a retelling of the book.

• Kari says:

In the book, Julia *does* drive a Prius, so on that front, they’ve stayed true. Otherwise, no, not at all, which is probably a pretty good thing considering the eye-rolling end of the book.

5. SK says:

My husband was actually calling them Rose and Jack! Funny! Anyway, it seems like Joe’s hand healed so fast because it was whole when they touched the dome in the morning unless that’s his other hand?

6. Jane says:

Actually the whole let her die and then save her later thing was directly taken directly from the Abyss not Titanic. It was the one really good scene in a movie with a really bad ending. Wonder if that bodes anything for this already bad show. Please let it end this season.

• Jennifer says:

Jane – I kind of agree with you. When I first saw the movie in the theatres, I walked out scratching my head. Then I saw the director’s cut. Did you ever see that version? It’s almost twice as long (it IS Cameron, after all ), but it explains SO much. You’d get a better understanding and like the movie more. Unless you have seen that version. Then I take all back.

• Jane says:

Yes I have seen it. I still didn’t like the ending. If I ever see it on TV I always stop watching about 15 minutes before it ends. You don’t have to take it back though because unlike some people I’m ok with us not totally agreeing and I appreciate you taking the time to give me your opinion. Although none of this helps me with liking Dome. It just keeps getting worse. :)

• Michelle says:

I loved The Abyss. Still one of my favorite movies

7. Kay says:

I’m going to see this show till the end, only for Barbie and Julia because I love their love for each other! Also I’ve watched from the beginning so when the stupid stuff happens I either laugh or roll my eyes……It’s a guilty pleasure!

8. DebLG says:

LOVE the recap as usual – more fun than that show. But Pauline…” apologizes for, y’know, leaving Melanie dead in a ditch 15 years earlier”. It was more than 15 years right? I mean, Junior is at least 20, Pauline is at least 45.. I know I’m being picky…..still love the recap so much! the Prius product placement was distracting and obvious – funny.

9. Rodg says:

So nobody in Chester’s Mill had winter clothes?

• LV Sunny says:

Exactly. If you’ve ever been in actual cold weather, you’d know that going outside without gloves and a hat (especially if you’re bald) would make it impossible to do the things that Big Jim was doing. His fingers simply couldn’t function. It’s like only people who have been sipping Neal Baer’s Kool-Aid are actually looking at the dailies. I watch because I’m a fan of Stephen King and always hope for an occasional flash of talented storyline.

• Audrey says:

Chester’s Mill, *Maine*, where it snows a ton every year and often gets sub-zero temperatures. Yeah, their blood may be thicker than those of us who live in California but you’d think they would grab some coats from their closets

• I agree, it was difficult to buy into the whole “it’s freezing and people can only stay outside for a few minutes or else freeze to death”… and no one is wearing coats, gloves or hats.

• lechatnoir says:

that’s very bizarre , really . This is one show I will forget in 12 months. At this point I’m only watching it just to get my weekly fix of the fellow French gingerette on there . Rachou Lefebvre.

10. Michelle says:

“I cannot even comprehend the level of trust that this Barbie/Julia relationship requires. Remember that one time he killed her husband?”

You mean like 3 weeks ago? LOL

• hud says:

DEB @SLEEPYINNJ> 26ep. is not 2 seasons. 1 season broken into 2 segments

• Patrice says:

Thank you Michelle I thought I was the only one that noticed that.. It has only been 3 weeks and you trust this man And love him. Julia has been shot and her wound has nearly healed, they have run out of food and had to start growing crops, which I dont fink takes 3 weeks to grow. Did I miss when norres second mum died because you never see her? I really do like this show but the moment I heard its only been 3 weeks its gone down hill for me :(

11. Teresa Hayes says:

Did I miss how Pauline and the science teacher know each other?

12. Jimmy says:

This was definitely just a filer episode, lots of talking and character interaction, some plot movement and character development, but I’m surprised they would have a filler episode this late in the season, there’s only 2 episodes left…

13. Todd says:

Come on, get it done already! I am falling asleep watching this. The rod through the leg couldn’t have been blessed by King. Move it!!

14. Hi there colleagues, how is all, and what you wish for to say concerning this post, in my view its really amazing in support of me.

15. Generally I doo not read article on blogs, but I would liike to say
    that this write-up very compelled me to check out and do so!
    Your writing style has been surprised me. Thanks, quite great article.

16. I was excited to find this page. I want to to
    thank you for your time due to this wonderful read!! I definitely
    savored every little bit of it and I have you bookmarked to see new stuff on your blog.

17. I blog quite often and I truly appreciate your information. This great article
    has truly peaked my interest. I will book mark your website and keep checking for new details about once
    per week. I opted in for your Feed as well.

18. I enjoy, lead to I discovered exactly what I was looking for. You’ve ended my four day long hunt! God Bless you man. Have a nice day. Bye

19. Mamie Scheid says:

There is definately a great deal to know about this topic. I really like all the points you have made.