Post Mortem: Covert Affairs Bosses Talk [Spoiler]'s Fate, Annie and Auggie's 'Challenge' and More

Covert Affairs Ryan Shot

Warning: The following contains spoilers from Tuesday’s midseason finale of Covert Affairs. If you have yet to watch, head to a different TVLine story. Everyone else, read on…

Annie Walker has a new enemy.

On Tuesday’s Season 5 summer finale of Covert Affairs, the spy discovered that McQuaid Security’s Caitlin and diplomat Belenko framed her new love interest Ryan — not to mention shot him. While Caitlin bit the bullet, Belenko is still in play, and possibly targeting Arthur.

Below, executive producers Matt Corman and Chris Ord discuss Ryan’s fate, Auggie and Annie’s (romantic?!) future, Season 5’s “intense” arc and more.

RELATED Covert Affairs EPs Tease Test for Annie/ Auggie

TVLINE | Given how many cliffhangers you have at the end of the finale, is it safe to say that the next episode picks up immediately after?
MATT CORMAN | More or less, yeah. Shawn Doyle’s character, Belenko, talks about Istanbul, and the action picks up there right away, basically.

TVLINE | Belenko tried to blow up the car that Arthur was in. Is he specifically targeting Arthur or is this part of a larger plot?
CHRIS ORD | You were right to pick up on the fact that he was aiming for a target. There’ll be plenty of mysteries surrounding what that target is going forward. We’ll reveal that in the next six [episodes].

TVLINE | Is it just a coincidence that Arthur has moved over to McQuaid’s company and now he’s being targeted by Caitlin and her cohort?
CORMAN | In a good way, you’re reading into a lot of things that may or may not be there. So you’re looking at these episodes with the right kind of lens, which is conspiracies could be around every corner. But we don’t want to give away too much.

TVLINE | Is Annie’s resignation going to stick? Is she going to remain at McQuaid’s company?
ORD | In the short term, yes. Certainly, her quest going forward revolves around what we’ve seen this summer season. So regardless of where she’s working, she’s always going to be seeking out the truth and trying to bring about justice. So you don’t necessarily need a title to support that.

RELATED Post Mortem: Suits Boss on Louis’ Power Play, Mike/Rachel’s Future

Covert Affairs Season 5 SpoilersTVLINE | I think we can say that McQuaid is probably going to survive, right?
CORMAN | Well, you don’t want to give it away, right? [Laughs]

TVLINE | You wouldn’t add Nic Bishop as a regular and kill him off so soon!
CORMAN | Well, you never know on Covert Affairs. But he’s getting good medical care. But he was shot. … I think he’s in stable condition when we find him.

TVLINE | Caitlin’s dead, McQuaid is in the hospital — is there a power vacuum or power struggle at his company when you pick up?
ORD | There’s certainly a power of vacuum. Whether there’s a struggle is another question. Arthur’s the most senior executive left standing at the company. Despite having been the DPS, he’s not super Machiavellian like Henry Wilcox was. But with the same respect, he’ll find himself assuming a role that he didn’t expect to assume when he came on.

TVLINE | What effect is Annie’s lying going to have on her relationship with Auggie? Are they even friends at this point?
CORMAN | Oh, yeah. They have had their ups and downs, but they both are spies and they recognize that the truth can and sometimes needs to bend a little bit. What’s great about Annie and Auggie is they do deeply care about one another, and even when there’s lies or omissions, that’s something they both want to work through and talk about. But it’s a challenge. Anytime there is a lie between two people and trust is compromised, it’s a big deal.
ORD | And there will be events that unfold in the fall season that will take those challenges and amplify them by orders of magnitude.

Covert Affairs Season 5 SpoilersTVLINE | There’s been a real push this season with Annie and Auggie back to a place where they’re just true partners and friends. Have you ruled out a return to a romantic relationship?
ORD | Never. [Laughs] That relationship’s the bedrock of our show. There’s so much between them that is meaningful that’s always going to be there, whether they’re just simply working together or doing more together.

TVLINE | Is Calder actually going to be able to get Sydney to help him? She seems a little bit reluctant given some of what’s transpired between them.
CORMAN | He’s a pretty convincing guy though, and that story with him and Sydney is going to continue to evolve and take on new layers. The short answer is, yes.

TVLINE | You’re opening the door here for a bigger conspiracy plot. Can you talk about some of the new players we might be seeing ?
CORMAN | We’ve met Shawn Doyle already, who plays Belenko. What I think will be compelling to fans is it is both a bigger conspiracy, but it will also drive back, in a very intimate way, to our characters. So it’s not getting bigger. It’s getting more intense.

1. Soraya says:

I love Auggie and Ryan but I so want to see her with Eyal. I am so excited to see him in the preview for the fall season.

• Julie says:

I’m a little torn. Up until Ryan came on the show, I was always pulling for Eyal but I don’t know now…I think she and Ryan might have better chemistry.

• Sheila says:

I agree with Julie. Also, I loved how Annie saved the motorcade folks. I wish she would be open about work issues sooner with Arthur, Joan, and/or Auggie.

• Bella says:

I haven’t enjoyed this season as much as the last and it all comes down to them not romantically pairing Auggie and Annie. I waited so long for them to get together and then it was virtually over before it began. Major disappointment.

• Ian says:

Exactly! I hated WHEN they killed off Simon, because I thought he had the most chemistry with Annie on this show to date, but something potent has always been simmering there with her and Eyal, and at this point, it’s that relationship they should be trying ot do more with and taking to the next level, not this wash-rinse-repeat thing they try and do with all her love interest story arcs, the latest of which just happens to be Ryan.

• Kristin says:

OMG I thought I was the only one! I’m so torn! Ryan or Eyal!?!?

• Connie says:

Me too. I love Eyal.

2. Julie says:

Great mid season finale! Caitlin being behind McQuade’s set up wasn’t surprising but I am surprised that Arthur (maybe?) turned out to be a target. He’s sort of hung around in the background all season. Love love love the chemistry between McQuade and Annie. Can’t wait to see how that turns out when the show returns although with Eyal coming back, I’m a little torn! I’m just glad she and Auggie aren’t back together. In my opinion they are much much better off as friends who constantly have each other’s backs. I just don’t see chemistry between the two of them beyond that. I’m pulling for Ryan and Annie!

3. Michele says:

I saw the fall preview and loved seeing Eyal back in the game with Annie. Great care is given to her spirit in this role to find truth and not be mean but to show kick ass caring and compassion. I was yelling at the tv tonight when she hooked up with Ryan. Yup, they went there! And now they can focus!

4. A says:

I literally just scanned the article for the word “Eyal” to see if it was worth watching the show again. Nope. Ill see you when Eyal comes back Covert Affairs.

5. S says:

Ahhh how did you not ask about the BEST part of the 2nd half of this season…the return of Eyal!!! When I saw the promos, I literally yelled out loud. This season is great, and clearly only getting better!

6. M3rc Nate says:

Personally it wasnt very exciting, i never really believed he was being framed until it was made obvious (something about him or me had me waiting for a double cross), this show is hard to watch because Annie gets so much wrong both personally and professionally. I LOVED Auggie with Haley, they had fantastic chemistry and it seemed like a healthy good relationship, i hope they bring her back next season and have him and her be a real couple for good, and Annie and Eyal can be for real for good, not that i think this show should hinge on romantic relationships. I would say they are really burning through how many people she can bang until i think she is just a female version of Bond and is gross lol.

• Deb says:

I disagree. I found it quite exciting. Annie and Ryan’s adventures kept me guessing. I was stunned when Caitlyn simply shot Ryan and walked away Talk about a betrayal! The motorcade scenes were powerful. I also liked Hayley and Auggie. Since she is no longer going after Anni, idd not die, and Tash is no longer in the picture, I would not mind revisiting a relationship with them at some point next season.

While I agree the show should not hinge solely on romantic relationships, they are an integral part of most people’s lives and provide insight into and enhance our understanding of the characters . I think you are being way to harsh about Annie’s romantic life. She’s barely dated and slept with about one guy per year. Ben left her twice or was it thrice?. Simon died. Auggie wanted a more “normal”relationship which with her job was not possible. Now she’s seeing how things go with Ryan. No harm no foul in my book. Annie deserves to be happy. Eyal is a good friend but I don’t see anything long term romantically as they work for different agencies. For the long term, my money is on Annie and Ryan.

7. M says:

How do hell do annie take him down when he has diplomatic immunity

8. Tracy says:

Whatever happened to Ben Mercer?

• CJ says:

I have long been wondering the same thing.

• Deb says:

He came back to the CIA and chose his job over her AGAIN! I think this was in the second season. She began dating an ER doctor she met when one of her nieces got hurt but it did not last long. You can catch the earlier episodes on Amazon.

9. Renée says:

YES!! Eyal is back love him and Annie together.

10. Sara says:

I’m just excited by the previews showing the return of Eyal. I am just not a fan of Annie and McQuaid. I think the chemistry between Annie and Eyal is amazing.
    I don’t even want Annie and Auggie anymore. It’s too much like a sibling relationship at this point.

• renee30 says:

Yes please make Eyal A season regular already he and Annie are best together.In Auggie are like brother and sister and Ryan can just be her boss. So say with me Eyal and Annie is ment to be!!

11. CatInTheHat says:

Annie and Ryan are perfect together. There are so many story lines open to them and their chemistry is great. Would love to see an Annie-Ryan-Eyal triangle setup for this season, with her leaning on Auggie for support. Eyal would be a great regular but I just don’t see OF committing to that. He seems to like a lot of variety in his roles/shows. But we can hope….: )

12. HAP says:

Anyone else think that Piper Pearbo has really grown as a lead as this show has progressed?

13. Maxsmom says:

I loved the character, whose name I can’t even remember, played by actor Eion Bailey when Covert Affairs first premiered. I will forever believe that guy is Annie’s great love. I haven’t ever believed a second of Annie and Augie’s “romance”. I like the chemistry with Eyal but I also like male/female friendships so while enjoy the actor and the character, I don’t want a romance. Nic Bishop was the best thing about Body of Proof and I am glad to see him here but I don’t see him with Annie. Annie will always chose the mission over her man and that’s fine with me but it’s hell on the relationship.

• Deb says:

While I do not think the show should hinge on romantic relationships, they do add a valuable layer to the characters and their development. I also liked Eion Bailey’s character of Ben Mercer too and think their characters had a connection but ultimately he left her and chose his job over her even after he came back to the CIA. It seems like Annie is having to relearn she does not need to do everything alone or be alone. I like the friendship between Annie and Eyal/ I am glad he is coming back but I do not see a viable long term relationship there as they work for competing spy services. I love the chemistry between Annie and Ryan. He seems to understand her and makes her smile and laugh which is something we rarely ever see anymore. Plus, they both seem to be able to call each other on their issues.. For once, I actually hope she chooses her happiness and Ryan over the mission provided he steps up to give her the relationship she deserves and does not abandon her like Ben did. I also prefer Annie and Auggie as best friends/colleagues and hope they get things resolved between them because life is better for both of them when they are there for each other. As far as working together goes, perhaps they can join Hayley’s Joint Task Force?

14. Annette Haborak says:

I love this show. I really like Annie and Ryan as a love interest. Keep this going.

15. Linda says:

Love the show but still am wanting to see Annie and Augie together. Make it happen!

16. Connie Orr says:

Have you ever considered a story arc around restoring Auggie’s sight?

• Mary Ann says:

They did that already. It was determined that his sight could not be restored. That is why he gave her his classic car. Don’t remember what it was. (I’m not a car person).

17. H.Houston says:

Does anyone know the name of the song that played while Annie was in Ryan’s hospital room? I love the music they use for this show and really wish they would list it on their webpage.

• Nienke says:

It was Strong by London Grammar . Loved it!

• H.Houston says:

Thank you! Some shows just have amazing soundtracks but no where to find the names. Covert Affairs is how I fell in love with Florence + the Machine’s song “Shake It Out” – they used that song in the season finale where Annie drove away in Auggie’s car.

18. Rachel says:

I like Annie and Auggie better as friends. They never had romantic chemistry. It came out of nowhere, all of a sudden, I feel, to please the viewers. I didn’t like it.
    I loved Annie and Simon and she never fully recovered when he died.
    I liked annie and Eyal as well, but he’s kind of a big brother to her at this point.
    Annie and Ryan have awesome chemistry! Would love to see them happy together!!! Annie and Auggie make terrific best friends! Don’t forget Auggie pretty much cheated on her with Helen, but try definitly make better friends anyway! Love Auggie and the pink power ranger!! Haylie!!

19. keyshawn says:

I think the only person Annie ever had chemistry with was Ben. Auggie was a mistake, and Eyal is too mature for her. I did not like Nic Bishop on Body of Proof and I don’t like him on this show. He also seems too old and mature for the Annie character. It is not them it is her and the acting choices she makes. I also hate the way they have written Caulder. To fight all the way to that type of position and then blow it on an inappropriate relationship? Why not just give Joan the job in the first place?

20. barbara rodriguez says:

Is the season 5 done, or will it continue in a few weeks?

21. chave says:

Keep Ryan. Auggie and Annie work best as friends. Eyal could add an interesting dimension, but keep Ryan.

22. Fran says:

I want Annie & Auggie to be good friends & just work relationship. I really want Annie to be with Ryan romantically. Please dont make it one night stands. Let her have a grounding deeply loving relationship. Bring Eyal back too – he is fantastic.

23. mary says:

if you would happened to cancel this series i sure you put all the pieces together so we have a good ending

24. Jeannie says:

More Eyal would be the best scenario. Absolutely love him.