Arrow EP Talks Timetable, 'Cool Ideas' for Revisiting Oliver's Long-Lost Child

Arrow Season 3 Oliver's Kid

Toward the close of Arrow Season 2 — and as part of Susanna Thompson’s final appearance as Moira Queen — it was revealed that, unbeknownst to Oliver, he has a child out there, somewhere.

So, when will said offspring resurface?

RELATED Arrow Casts Wildcat — Will He Train Laurel to Become the New Canary?

In the episode “Seeing Red,” we learned via flashbacks that when Ollie was a care-free billionaire playboy, he got a young woman pregnant. Moira met privately with the (conspicuously unnamed) lass to strike a deal: a cool $2 million in trade for her lying about losing the baby and then putting Starling City in her rear view mirror.

Though it was previously suggested that the paternity secret, which in large part died with Moira, would be revisited as early as Season 3, Oliver may have to wait longer to learn of and/or meet his long-lost progeny.

RELATED Arrow Casts Felicity’s Mother — For Real, or For Flashback?

Likening the situation to that of Felicity’s backstory — which until now has barely been teased but will finally be explored this fall — Arrow showrunner Marc Guggenheim explains to TVLine, “Half of our job is coming up with ideas, and the other half is exercising judgement in terms of the right time to play those ideas.”

So in addition to ensuring there is room both on the canvas and within the narrative to circle back to Oliver’s kid, “We also need to have that moment happen in the right context. So is it Year 3, is it Year 10…? I don’t know,” Guggenheim says. “We’ve put it out there and we’ve got some cool ideas about where to go with it, should we do it, but we haven’t committed to actually doing it or even when to do it.”

How soon would you like to see Arrow bring back Oliver’s child? And to what end? And could said offspring turn out to be anyone but Connor Hawke?

VIDEO: Arrow‘s John Barrowman Promises ‘The Best of Brutal Times’ for Thea

1. Csbd says:

I don’t think it was his girlfriend he got pregnant. I’m pretty sure he cheated on Laurel and got someone else pregnant.

2. 90324 says:

I think they already have too much storylines/plots/characters going on and I was hoping the season will be more intimate. I hope s3 brings back what worked so well for the second half of s1 and the first of s2.

• A says:

I completely agree. However, I’m not sure this season is going to be more intimate because they have so many characters (Ray, Sara coming back for probably more than 5 episodes plus potential LOA flashbacks, Malcolm as a regular, Ra’s Al Ghul, Nyssa is coming back, etc.). I just hope they can do a better job balancing all of the characters than they did in the second half of season two.

• Ben says:

Really? The second half of season two felt SO strong to me.

• A says:

I didn’t like the Lance family drama aspect of the second half of season two, it felt really unnecessary to me. I loved Slade when he was introduced in season one, but his motivation for hating Oliver was really lacking to me. I hope they can do a better job with Ra’s Al Ghul.

• Sarah says:

The middle of S2 was pretty poor. The last 4 episodes was really great though.

3. John says:

the kid is in the city where the flash is set? when Oliver visits Barry he will end up running into the kid and the mum on the street

4. GildedRose says:

I can’t honestly say I’m upset (at all, in the slightest) at the idea Arrow won’t be exploring this baby drama anytime soon. Most of my shows always wind up ruined as soon as they bring baby/young kids into it, and Arrow has enough to focus on, flesh out, and grow before they even think about tying Oliver down in any permanent way with a kid. Like someone commented previously, Arrow already has a ton of characters, storylines and plots going on and I, too, am hoping that Season 3 focuses more on the series regulars and building up their characters than constantly getting pulled off into this week’s bright & shiny thing.

• Ashley says:

Completely agree. I think my only real issue with Arrow in season two was that they introduced this. I don’t think it added anything to the storyline (now or for the future), aside from seeing how far Moira was will to stoop to protect her children. I’m honestly not interested in seeing a storyline where Oliver finds out he has a kid ’cause that’s a pretty permanent fixture and will ultimately detract from the show right now.

• Mikael says:

I agree as well. Baby storylines typically ruin shows, especially when it’s a long-lost child. Don’t get too soapy, Arrow!!

• Briggs says:

*blinkblink* Oliver’s love life represents a mine field, he watched his father commit suicide, his mother was involved in a plot to destroy the city *and* was killed with a *sword* right in front of him, and his sister’s ‘real’ father was a member of the League of Assassins and mastermined the whole Undertaking. And his sister ran off with said ‘real’ father.

You mean the show isn’t soapy *enough*? Oh, wait, it’s the CW. Nevermind.

5. A says:

I hope they never explore the baby storyline. Better shows have tried and failed and have been taken down by introducing secret children. Arrow definitely doesn’t need any more drama ;)

6. spindae2 says:

This is terrible! The kid story is the one I look most forward to! They can’t pull that reveal on me and now play it cool like we don’t know if it’ll happen. But either way I think Laurel will be the one to find out first.

• ANNA says:

Or Felicity, she figured out Moira’s secret about Thea’s biological father. I for one hope that Moira tells him some way, posthumously via a note etc. I would think less of her character if she didn’t try to let Oliver know.

7. Claire says:

Thank goodness! I am all for pushing this story as far back as possible. It didn’t do Angel any favors, and this show has enough stories its plate already — I would like to avoid a repeat of the back half of S2.
    This is a story that, unlike Felicity’s backstory, can wait. We’ve waited two years to find out about Felicity and I really hope we get a nice arc to it — more than one episode. Same with Diggle.
    Diggle and Felicity are two characters that I would love to see more explored and it would give Stephen Amell a break in filming too. Distribute more episodes between these guys and Thea too for that matter (really looking forward to her story).
    Just very happy that there will be a delay with this particular storyline.

• A says:

I agree, in seasons one and two they explored Laurel and Sara’s characters a lot. I think season three should be more about fleshing out some different characters like Thea, Roy, Felicity, Diggle and Malcolm.

• brenna says:

I agree. And still keep the main focus Arrow, with his closest friends/partners having arcs. We’ve had enough with Sara and Laurel for two seasons. I am excited for the Hong Kong flashbacks. I’m sure they will be exciting and fun.

8. Drew says:

In the preview for the new season, Oliver seems to be taking Diggle off of crime fighter duty because there is a child involved and that changes things. So could that foreshadow what would happen to Oliver if he ever found out that he himself has a child? In the comic books, his kid fights right along with him, but in the TV series the kid could be used as a means of resolving Oliver’s need to be Arrow, when that day comes.

9. kiki says:

Ugh not interested in the kid story.

Poor Laurel. First her sister now this? Oliver never deserved her.

• Csbd says:

I am SO not interested in that aspect especially of the kid story. We don’t need anymore past Laurel and Oliver drama that has nothing to do with the present. He was an ass and everyone has moved passed it.

10. Jared says:

The Arrow writers have given so much story and backstory to pretty much every character so far S3 could go in so many directions. As far as this “secret baby” ehh..im not dying to know more about it at this point because theres so much going on everywhere else so S10 would be fine with me.

11. Sarah says:

I’m so glad it won’t be happening yet. Season 4 or 5 is fine but there’s too much to explore yet this season.

12. Sia Patel says:

I think a big question is how old was Ollie when he got that girl preggers? Let’s take a stab in the dark and say his kid was born when Ollie was 18 and Ollie got shipwrecked when he was…25. Say they introduce his kid in Season 5, that’s 5 years on the show + 5 years on the island + 7 years before the island = 16-17 year-old pissed off teenager ready to butt heads with his weirdly young-looking daddy. Would be interesting then, imho.

13. At first I was going, “If you’re not sure when this will come up then why do it?” Thinking about it though and how it was brought up, it really wasn’t about the long-lost son thing so much as emphasizing who Moira was in the episode where she bit it. She was the secret keeper and, in her death, she took probably the biggest secret of all for Ollie to the grave.

14. He had better not be Connor Hawke. Connor Hawke isn’t white.

• Briggs says:

If you want to be really technical, Connor is actually biracial, which is half-white. And DC, if the images I’ve found are any indication, can’t decide which parent he favors, as he appears both white and a lighter shade of brown. So they had license to go either way.

15. G. says:

I would be just fine with the unnamed kid never showing up — or maybe being resolved in the series finale, whenever that is.

16. jrex says:

It was left unclear exactly how long ago and how old Oliver was when he got the girl pregnant. Deliberately I’m sure. But it was sometime before Oliver was on the Island for 5 years and he’s been back for at least two years now. In my opinion the kid would be at least 7 or 8, maybe older by now. They would want to have an actor old enough to interact and not too many restrictions on his schedule. And yes it should be Connor Hawke.

17. Shoney says:

I really liked Oliver and Sarah together. They belong together and only they can relate to the trauma they have experienced. No child for a long time please. Too much else going on. And please please don’t put Oliver back with Laurel. Leave them as friends. I can’t watch the show if they get together.

18. Jon says:

Hopefully, they never explore it on the show. It was fine as it was. A sly nod to the fact that the older Green Arrow in the comics is a father.

19. roberto says:

The real strength of the show is the remarkable presence of interesting recurring characters (Sara, Nyssa, Lyla, Amanda Waller, Malcolm Merlin, and now Ray Palmer, Ras al Ghul, Katana, Maseo, Wild Cat ) and not in the main characters, some of which are boring as Laurel and Thea, now undergoing a total rewrite.
    Not all characters have an interesting past. Some like Oliver and Sara certainly, Diggle and others like Roy maybe, but I doubt that people like Laurel or Felicity may have an interesting past and suitable for a show about superheroes. They are just a lawyer and a computer engineer. They are not survivors, murderers, street criminals or special forces soldiers.Talking too much about their past might be boring.

• wonderwall says:

Not all characters should have an interesting past because not everyone in real life does. I agree about that. However, I disagree on the stance that they’re boring. It’s good to know more about characters and see them being fleshed out, this makes them more interesting and more nuanced in the present. This show’s success is currently solely based on plot. The writers need to work on characterization in order to make this show even more successful. While it’s a bit late in the game, it’s never too late to delve deeper into the characters (whether it may be their past, their personality, etc.)

The fact that Felicity’s past is under lock and key just goes to show that maybe her past isn’t all that normal. I feel as though the EPs have taken good care of her backstory and have faith that they will do her justice. Who knows? The show may surprise you and Felicity’s episode might be one you like very much.

It’s too premature to make any judgments I suppose.

• Hmm says:

I’m not Felicity’s biggest cheerleader, but both her AND Laurel have survived quite a bit in the last two seasons. Especially Laurel. Consider all the pain she’s dealt with for presumably the past 5-7 years of her life: her parents divorced, she lost her boyfriend and sister when they were presumed dead (also to find out her sister was sleeping with her boyfriend), then she lost another man she loved while almost dying herself. She was attacked in her home, kidnapped and attacked quite a few more times, lost her job and struggled with (and survived) addiction. Granted she wasn’t marooned on a terrifying island like Oliver and Sara, but that’s not to say she has not gone through hell. She’s definitely a stronger character than people give her credit for, and I welcome her character given more to work with in terms of “superhero” activity.

• wonderwall says:

I guess that’s where we differ :) I’m doing a rewatch of season 1, and it seems to me that Laurel was never really into Tommy all that much, let alone enough to grieve that much over. She’s shot him down time and time again, she slept with Oliver right before the undertaking… So if Laurel grieved, it wasn’t because she lost the person she was in love with, it was because she lost her oldest friend. However, Oliver too lost his oldest friend but jumped back from his loss whereas Laurel floundered and at some point blamed the Arrow (which IMO was kind of uncalled for) for Tommy’s death. Everything else, she got back without even trying (except for her Parents getting back together, then again, it never seemed to be that big of a problem for Laurel on screen). She got Oliver back, she got Sara back, she got her job back through blackmail, she has the support of the most awesome person in the world (Quentin), and she even gained an awesome leather jacket. To be honest, I feel like Laurel is still the same person she was before this whole addiction mess. I guess Laurel’s story wasn’t as compelling because her ‘island’ didn’t really change her. (again, this is fully in my opinion)

I truly hope they improve Laurel’s story in the future, however, not at the expense of other characters who need fleshing out (Felicity, Digg, Thea, Malcolm, and Roy). I’m honestly over the Lances for now, I want to see the other characters shine. They deserve it tbqh.

• roberto says:

Laurel: her parents divorced, she lost her boyfriend and sister when they were presumed dead (also to find out her sister was sleeping with her boyfriend), she then lost another man she loved while almost dying herself. She was Attacked in her home, kidnapped and blackberries Attacked quite a few times, lost her job and Struggled with (and survived) addiction.

Oliver: he is shipwrecked on an island of hell, he is captured by a group of mercenaries who torture him, he goes hungry for days at sea, he escapes and kills to survive the mercenaries on the island, he struggles with a mad scientist and with all his crew that wants to kill him, he fights with his crazy and super strong ex friend Slade, who tortured him, he is shipwrecked again, is captured dall’Argus that transforms him, I suppose, in a ruthless secret agent and killer, he joins in the Russian bratva perhaps, he will eventually return to the hellish island where he is eventually found with tattered clothes and unshaven from weeks and who knows what else.

Sara: she is shipwrecked, she stays for days at sea on the wreck of the ship, she is rescued by a ship full of crazy killers who try to rape her, she is rescued by a mad scientist who forces her to become his assistant and torturing prisoners, she is forced to become the lover of the mad scientist, warming the bed of the mad scientist for a year, she escapes in the hellish island, and she struggles with the mad scientist and Slade, with Oliver, she is shipwrecked again, she is saved by persons unknown, I guess anybody her friends, she is found, hungry and alone while waiting to die from Nyssa that forces her to join the League of Assassins, transforming her into a fierce murderous to thr orders of Ras Al Ghul, she is forced to kill for years, losing the soul and reaching to touch the madness and who knows what else.

It is true.They have been really terrible years for Laurel.
        Only she can become a superhero.
        Oliver and Sara can become just crazy, and in fact they are crazy.

20. Forouzan says:

I think Raisa (Queen’s waiter that we saw on the pilot) is the other person who knows about Oliver’s child.

21. Luis says:

Obviously, it seems like there is more than enough on deck for S3 that the writers can afford to put the baby drama off for at least another season. Given the apparent timing, it seems less than likely that Oliver would encounter Junior as some kind of crime fighter, ala Connor Hawke, unless there was another time jump involved, as it seems like, given the timing, the kid is probably around 12 at this point, if they choose not to honor the age old TV tradition of rapid aging children.

22. Briggs says:

A little disappointment at the news, but I can understand. While i hope they touch on it sooner rather than later (took them until Season 2 to tell us who the woman in the red-soled heels was), they do have a *lot* going on, especially with the big crossover with the Flash. But, seeing as they *are* crossing over with the Flash throughout the season, it would be a wasted opportunity if they didn’t at least have Oliver see the babymomma. I’m not saying he has to talk to her or to the child or both, but it doesn’t get more golden than this.
    And yes, I really want to see Laurel’s reaction. It’s probably a good thing that she’s going to get training from a boxer, even if it might not save Oliver from being a punching bag. If she’s going to be Black Canary, she has to hit him at least once…

23. Malcolm Merlyn is supposed to be dead some while ago. He could not have survived that.
    How could they bring him back?

• Briggs says:

i got the impression from the interviews I’ve seen that it was always in the cards to try and bring him back. John Barrowman’s schedule allowed for it, so they did. It appears that not everyone likes it, but its a reaity, so… *shrugs*

24. Jon says:

I don’t want to see the Arrow saddled with a kid. And then have a baby Arrow crime fighter or villain. Let’s bring the kid on as a last resort when the ratings fall (hopefully in the far future) and Baby Oliver can serve the same function as Oliver on The Brady Bunch.

25. ANNA says:

I think everyone’s being kind of hash on this story. Oliver is not going to get ‘saddled’ with a kid. Even if they brought it up now the child would be 6-7 years old (so no diapers, no day care drama) and probably have a step dad (his mom was young,pretty & $2 million rich) with no idea who Oliver is. And Oliver would probably want to leave it that way for his safety. This whole story illustrates the same principles all the flashbacks do, Oliver has to live with what he’s been through and what he’s done- and continue on. We never saw him ‘pay the price’ for his playboy lifestyle other than some abusive remarks from Laurel & Quentin, who he hurt the most during that time. But finding out in his reckless behavior caused him to be estranged from his son for 10 or so years is going to be epic character development as well as his ‘Thea moment’ when he realizes that Moria lied to him about something so important. Since Moira isn’t a part of the show anymore not sure that last bit will be all that meaningful.

• Briggs says:

Yeah, about that. Connor’s stepfather in the comics was Milo Armitage, the arms dealer we met in a previous ep. Not to mention that in the cast for the ep in question, the mother’s name was Sandra. And Stephen Amell has said, on camera, that he had an idea that the writers liked for how Oliver meets her again, later saying that this season has a mini-crossover that he ‘might’ have had a part in planning.
      Not saying this means he gets to actually raise the kid. But it is food for thought.

• ANNA says:

Cool! Thanks for the info. I am a fan of the show but ashamedly know nothing about the comics. I for one think it’s going to be a cool story as it pans out.