Robin Williams Was in Early Stages of Parkinson's Before Death, Wife Says

Robin Williams Parkinson's Disease

Following Robin Williams’ death on Monday, his wife Susan has released a statement revealing the actor was in the early stages of Parkinson’s Disease.

RELATED Emmys 2014: ‘Meaningful’ Tribute to Robin Williams in the Works

Read her complete statement below:

Robin spent so much of his life helping others. Whether he was entertaining millions on stage, film or television, our troops on the frontlines, or comforting a sick child — Robin wanted us to laugh and to feel less afraid.

Since his passing, all of us who loved Robin have found some solace in the tremendous outpouring of affection and admiration for him from the millions of people whose lives he touched. His greatest legacy, besides his three children, is the joy and happiness he offered to others, particularly to those fighting personal battles.

Robin’s sobriety was intact and he was brave as he struggled with his own battles of depression, anxiety as well as early stages of Parkinson’s Disease, which he was not yet ready to share publicly.

It is our hope in the wake of Robin’s tragic passing, that others will find the strength to seek the care and support they need to treat whatever battles they are facing so they may feel less afraid.

1. lea says:

So, he was not ready to share his Parkinson’s disease diagnosis, but she was?

• Andy Swift says:

Considering how much was being *speculated* about the connection between his death and his struggle with addiction, I’m not surprised she chose to reveal this.

• David4 says:

I think it was to show that killing yourself isn’t the answer, if you are battling things you are not alone and you can seek help.

• Alex says:

I think the key part of that paragraph was that his “sobriety was intact.” There’s been a lot of media speculation regarding his history of struggling with sobriety, and I suppose his wife wanted to speak her mind before the toxicology results come out…

• mary says:

There seemed to be a lot of rumors going around there was money-trouble. Also people commenting that he did not look well. I think she wanted the speculation to stop. They are going through an awful lot, & did not need speculation like that.
      *just a thought

• DYS says:

I know that you are probably suggesting that she is being disrespectful since she’s going against what he had wanted, but I think that her statement makes it clear that she is coming from a good place.

His reason for not sharing was possibly because he understandably wanted to seem like he was better off than he really was (despite having previously shared some of his struggles), or maybe because he wasn’t accepting of the Parkinsons. His unfortunate passing has made it clear that what one sees on the surface isn’t always the full picture and she is hoping that people” will find the strength to seek the care and support they need to treat whatever battles they are facing so they may feel less afraid.” .

• Brooke says:

One presumes that she would not have shared this if he was still alive. I’ll bet on top of the pain of losing her spouse, hearing people speculate about awful things that you know aren’t true is extremely painful. From all the heartwarming stories Robin’s friends and coworkers have shared about him over the last few days, he clearly had a huge heart and would likely not begrudge his grieving widow the need to put a rest to the painful rumors.

2. David4 says:

That was a really beautiful letter, now I hope we can leave the family to grieve.

3. Jax&Juice's Girl says:

I don’t think she had no choice but to tell everybody about this. If Robin was still alive he wouldn’t tell a soul UNTIL he was ready to let the world know that he’s battling this disease. So sad.

4. Maria says:

Just when I thought the whole situation couldn’t get any more heartbreaking…

5. Patrick says:

If true, I think Robin Williams wanted to go out as close to the top as possible. He didn’t want to deteriorate in front of the world. Such a tragic loss.

• lechatnoir says:

And Parkinson eats regular folk within 5 years. I am just surprised he was first diagnosed aged 62 . Most Parkinson sufferers I know were gone by the time they were 60. He probably didn’t want to be a burden to his family . This is one awful disease .It really makes wanna cry. And I am a bloke.

6. The years following major open heart surgery like he had can be quite unsettling and worrisome. The poor man had so many things going on and to top it off the depression.

7. Alex says:

I am just wondering if Robin couldn’t take the pressure anymore. There is a lot of stress when you are constantly in the spotlight and in front of cameras. Robin got his joy out of making people laugh..Parkinson’s can be a really debilitating disease. Maybe he couldn’t come to terms with not being able to do something he loved anymore…It’s sad and I am purely speculating..

• David4 says:

Obviously there is no way to know for certain, but he just came out of rehab, he had early parkinson’s disease, which I know I’d like a drink. While killing yourself is never ever the answer, it makes sense he couldn’t put on the happy loving face we all know and fell for anymore and decided to end it.

I hope all this talk brings more people to talk about their inner demons instead of killing or hurting themselves.

8. jovas says:

Robin was a hero of mine. And now it all makes sense. I got chills when I heard this.

My mother is 61, she is in the latter stages of Pakinson’s. She takes 15 pills a day, she weighs 90 pounds. She can’t feed herself, she can’t go to the bathroom. Most of the time she can’t even talk. It’s horrible when you can think but can’t move. When your body twitches and turns without any hope for recovery.

This is a slow and painfull killer. A sadist mfer.

I get where he comes from. I don’t think suicide is the answer, but now it all makes sense.

You should have overdosed with morphine or any drug of choice, Robin.

Not with suffering and agony.

But I guess that would be falling off the wagon. I get it.

Rest in Peace Robin.