Rookie Blue Recap: Out of Time

Rookie Blue Season 5 Recap

Rookie Blue fans, we need to talk about Chris.

Apparently, some time after their big fight, Dov convinced his friend to get some help. So Thursday night’s episode starts off with the cop attending a NA meeting under the guise of “Dave.” (I’m not sure admitting your name is Chris gives anything away, buddy.) He tells the group about how he feels lost, especially after he losing custody off his son who he discovered wasn’t even his son. It certainly is a believable reason for what Chris is going through, but it’s obvious that he’s just using his own sad story to placate the group and, especially, Dov. Chris tells his pal the meeting was a good idea. Riiight.

RELATED Rookie Blue’s Missy Peregrym Talks Andy and Sam’s Step Forward, ‘Big’ Issues Ahead

Dov wants to believe Chris is really trying, but as the hour goes on, it becomes clear that he’s being, well, screwed over. First, he missed his meeting with an intelligence officer because he was “babysitting” Chris. Then, after he discovers that Chris is still using, Dov confronts him in the middle of a crime scene.

“It’s not like I’m your junkie brother!” Chris exclaims. Yeah, that one stings.

Rookie Blue Season 5 RecapDov’s claims that Chris’ new extracurricular activity is affecting his ability to do his job is proven true when they miss all the signs that the teenage victim — young Dean Winchester/Degrassi alum Dylan Everett! — is actually the perpetrator of the home robbery. The boy ends up shooting himself in the head, but somehow is still breathing. Meanwhile, the bullet went into the wall and created a gas leak. Oh, and the guys are locked in the room from the outside and any electricity might trigger an explosion.

RELATED Rookie Blue Spoilers on Andy/Sam’s Future, Nick’s Next Step and More

They make it out, but that’s enough for Dov. He plans to tell Oliver the truth because he knows how this ends — Chris either overdoses or kills himself like Dov’s brother — and in both scenarios, Dov loses his friend. Chris decides to tell Oliver himself, but we don’t get to see the scene, which, frankly, feels like a cop-out (no pun intended). Did Chris go through with it? What was Oliver’s reaction? What’s the next step for him? Can he keep his job? I guess we’ll find out next week, but it would have been nice to see it unfold rather than just getting Oliver’s remarks to Andy later that Wednesday has been really unkind to him. Also, I’m kind of not recognizing Chris anymore, and it’s bumming me out.

Elsewhere in the hour:

* Traci finds out that Steve has been surveying her ex and, in the process, discovered that Dex is going to an illegal gaming house. Despite the fact that Dex is coming after Traci for spousal support and full custody of their child, Traci warns Dex, leaving things rocky between herself and Steve. When Oliver wants to know why the bust was, well, a bust, Steve takes the blame, replying that he had bad intel and that he thought he knew what he was getting into, but he was wrong. Yes, Traci, that was pointed at you.

* Andy’s “genuinely mad” at Oliver for not having her back with Duncan, but pretending to be fine. It takes Gail of all people to finally get through to her. “Just get over it,” she says. “Oliver loves you. He loves all of us.” So Andy finally confronts Oliver, who assures her, “I’m on your side, Andy. I always have been. I always will be.”

Rookie Blue fans, what do you think of Chris’ downward spiral? Is Andy being too harsh on Oliver? And did you enjoy Gail’s snarky remark to Andy about having something — Nick — in common?

1. shaw says:

Am I the only one who lost all respect for Traci and hopes she get fired, because first what she did was illegal, and like he told her you should look for you and your son no body else because her ex doesn’t care two craps about her.

• Jill says:

I don’t believe she should get fired for it, she was thinking more about her child than anything or anyone else. Think about all the abuse her kid would suffer from bullies because his dad is in jail, not pretty. I wonder why they wrote the story that way? It would’ve been more believable if the Det. did the bust without informing Traci, but I guess they wanted her to look like the bad guy. In my book, she’s not.

2. BetsyBoo says:

I couldn’t believe Traci gave Dex the heads up. When did she get so dumb?? I’m only surprised that beyond calling off the game, he didn’t find a way to tell Oliver or Peck that she’s the one that tipped him off. I *was glad that she immediately admitted her mistake and didn’t try to cover it up at least.

Poor Dov. And I don’t believe Chris told Oliver the full truth.

3. MandaJ says:

I’m not a huge fan of the out of the blue drug addiction downward spiral of usually even keeled characters. I realize drug addiction can do this to good people, but I don’t enjoy watching it. Watching Chris go down this road is exception. Awful. Chris Diaz has a great reputation, I hope this doesn’t blow that out of the water.

• MandaJ says:

…NO exception…..

• Guest says:

Actually, in either season 1 or two he had talked about how he did cocaine in high school and how it was starting to become a problem, so it’s not totally out of the blue. Just keep watching the show though (I just finished the season via the Canadian eps).

• MandaJ says:

I am Canadian, I am all caught up, so I hear ya but still. :)

• Ray says:

Really, when was that? I don’t recall Chris ever being anything but 100% solid, except the day in the episode “Every Man” where he and everyone else let their guard down due to personal issues going on to let an arrestee get into a jail cell with a loaded gun on him.

4. S says:

I am just not a fan of this season. I feel like all of the things that made me roots for my favorite characters and relationships are gone. Andy and a Sam are besotted, so there is no conflict, no stakes, no reason to watch. Traci is losing all of her cop instincts. Where is Nick Collins, whose banter kept scenes moving last year and whose intensity keeps you invested in the case at hand? The little bit of Gail and Oliver each week isn’t enough to drag my attention through an hour. Canada people, please tell me there is hope for this season!!!

• Coal says:

Everything you just mentioned you like about the show returns in the 10th more in the 11th episode. Considering the following group of episodes the de facto Season 6 are shot immediately after the first 11 its go to be a great when it returns.

5. Dave says:

Get rid of the Andy character and her tortured romance with that detective….boring…all the other characters are more interesting and you could build a great show.

6. alyaly says:

i love rookie blue so much but its geting a bit bording because they are breaking up and then geting them back together they should be working on big storys now and not how they are breaking up this week and please put andy/sam and dov/chloe back together soon please they are the best ones on the show. i will always love rookie blue so keep the storys coming good luck

7. Ray says:

8. Anne says:

I think the drama between Oliver and Andy seems way manufactured. I don’t care at all about Sam and Andy, in fact their breakfast scene gave me the creeps. Tracy shouldn’t have done what she did and it feel like she’s the same character she has been since season 1- always taking crap from her ex and being mean to Jerry and Jerry 2.0, ahem I mean Steve. No development there, boring. As always, the show needs more nick. Always more nick.