Emmys

Emmys 2014: Who Should Win Lead Actor in a Comedy? Take Our Poll!

dw_emmy_8.6.14

Showtime subscribers will certainly be intrigued by the 2014 Emmy race for Outstanding Lead Actor in a Comedy Series.

RELATED Emmys 2014: Who Should Win Lead Actress in a Comedy? Take Our Poll!

A whopping fifty percent of nominees in the category come from the pay cabler’s darkly comic lineup: Episodes‘ Matt LeBlanc (up for the third time in the last four years, and on his sixth nomination overall); House of Lies‘ Don Cheadle (in the running for the third straight time); and Shameless‘ William H. Macy (scoring his first nod in the category).

To actually claim the big statuette, however, the Showtime trio will need to stop the momentum of The Big Bang Theory‘s Jim Parsons, winner in 2013, 2011 and 2010.

Also in the running? Louie‘s Louis C.K. (up for the fourth consecutive time) and Derek‘s Ricky Gervais (who last graced the category in 2007, when he starred in Extras).

RELATED Emmys 2014: What Should Win Best Comedy Series? Take Our Poll!

What would you do if you had the power to honor one of these fine talents when the Emmys are handed out on Aug. 25 ? Take our poll below to vote for your favorite, then hit the comments to justify your pick!

Every weekday for the next fortnight, we’ll launch another “Who Should Win” Emmy poll, so come back to TVLine.com every day to weigh in on who’s most worthy of TV’s biggest honor!

1. Tran says:

Jim Parsons all the way. BA-ZINGA

2. MattArmando says:

Jim Parsons will definitely win; but I feel, although I do NOT faithfully watch SHAMELESS, that William H. Macy is overdue for recognition of his work. Same with Matt LeBlanc.
    SHOULD WIN: Matt LeBlanc
    WILL WIN: Jim Parsons

3. Jerry says:

I really think it is a long shot for everyone else to be honest. The other nominations seem a bit tokenistic. But then again, no one thought Jon Cryer will win for Two and A Half Men.

4. I don’t want to say that Jim Parson’s work on Big Bang is no longer appreciated by me. Far from it. He has always brought energetic neurosis to the role and has great chemistry with Johnny Galecki and Kaley Cuoco. However, what I’ve seen from him recently has been neither new or surprising and he has already been given the award three times. Sheldon is also a far more entertaining character when there’s less focus on him. I’ve felt that they’ve shifted way too much attention to what should have stayed a supporting role.
    Louis CK, however, on top of a great performance, he takes a considerably personal approach to painstakingly make his show as great as it is, both in front of and behind the camera. The always unique adventures of his TV persona are something those of us who watch will always remember.

5. Hannah says:

chriss messina

6. Kyle says:

Chris Messina! Oh, wait…

7. A-Mi says:

I’m so over Jim Parsons winning…so I bet he’ll win again this year.

8. Ron says:

It should be Matt or William. But it will, again (and wrongfully), be Jim Parsons. I’ve always found it difficult to justify giving Louis C.K. an acting award. Give him all the writing awards, because he’s a brilliant writer, but his acting has never been Emmy-calibre to me. Don has always been meh for me (I’m also not the biggest House of Lies fan). And maybe I’m the only one, but I really hated Derek. I really like Ricky, but Derek was just not great in my opinion. Maybe it’s because it seems like such a departure from what I love about Ricky that I couldn’t get into Derek. I’m not sure…

9. WAJ53 says:

I’ve never seen Matt LeBlanc in Episodes (no Showtime), but I have the hardest time imagining him as anyone besides Joey Tribiani. What’s that like??

10. HAP says:

The funniest character of the lot is the one played by William H. Macy. But his show is running in the wrong category. Cheadle is a fine actor, but his character is far from comedic. Gervais is brilliant, but the character Derek is cartoonish. LeBlanc is nowhere close to the funniest character on Episodes. Louis CK is a fave of mine, but I feel that this season has been somewhat weak. I’m guessing that Parsons wins again.

11. webly3 says:

William H. Macy!!!

12. Heathers says:

Ugh not that disgusting Jim Parsons! That show is NOT funny at all. I think William Macy should win, but Shameless is more of a dramedy, not straight comedy.

• elenagreece says:

He’s not disgusting, just overrated. And Sheldon (like the show), is not funny anymore. I also think William Macy should win, but Parsons seems to be the darling of the Emmys, so..

13. Ben says:

Lots of talent in this category. I vote for Matt Le Blanc. He cracks me up on Episodes.

• Britta Unfiltered says:

The episode he submitted is fantastic too. He’s got that tirade against the British in that episode that he gives to his British friends, and ends with, “F— the British. No offense.”[Walks away]. I like him a lot on that show. I wouldn’t mind if he won, but this is a tough category for me, because I could very happily see Louis, Matt, Macy, or Ricky win.

14. Wire Dreamer says:

I don’t want to live in a world where Louis CK loses to Jim Parsons. It’s not logical, moral or sensible. It’s a world gone amuck.

15. JON says:

I voted for CK, but I wouldn’t mind anyone else, except Jim Parsons to win. Matt Le Blanc is due for an Emmy.

16. Merideth says:

It should be Chris Messina, but since he was snubbed, I will go with William H Macy who is long overdue. Shameless was fantastic this season.

17. michelle says:

It’s impossible for me to choose between Don Cheadle, Matt LeBlanc, and William H. Macy. I would still be happy if Louis or Ricky won. Unfortunately, all signs point to the most annoying actor on TV winning…Jim Parsons.

18. rkar7 says:

I love Jim Parsons and do think he is great in Big Bang Theory, however Matt LeBlanc is long overdue for recognition for Episodes, this is one of the most underrated performances. He is no Joey here and is hysterical, I hope he wins.

19. Isaac Hunt says:

Louis CK as he’s the only genuinely funny nominee, in my opinion. Derek was appalling, I hope Ricky Gervais doesn’t win.

20. Matt genuine says:

Ricky gervais :D

21. ewgynyu says:

Jim Parsons is the funniest TV character ever and he has to win over and over again !!!!