Emmys

Emmys 2014: Who Should Win Lead Actress in a Comedy? Take Our Poll!

emmy-comedy-ladies

The last three women to take home the Emmy for Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy Series will duke it out again in 2014, alongside a pair of perpetual bridesmaids and an intriguing newcomer to the race.

RELATED Emmys 2014: What Should Win Best Comedy Series? Take Our Poll!

The three actresses seeking a return to the podium are Veep‘s Julia Louis-Dreyfus (a winner in 2013 and 2012, as well as in 2006 for The New Adventures of Old Christine); Mike & Molly‘s Melissa McCarthy (the 2011 champ) and Nurse Jackie‘s Edie Falco (victorious in 2010).

Parks and Recreation‘s Amy Poehler, meanwhile, is hoping to end her Emmy drought on her fifth nomination, while Girls‘ Lena Dunham enters the scrum for the third consecutive year. On the ballot for the first time? Orange Is the New Black‘s Taylor Schilling.

RELATED Emmy Poll 2014: Who Should Win Best Supporting Actor in a Drama?

What would you do if you had the power to honor one of these fine talents when the Emmys are handed out on Aug. 25 ? Take our poll below to vote for your favorite, then hit the comments to justify your pick!

Every weekday for the next fortnight, we’ll launch another “Who Should Win” Emmy poll, so come back to TVLine.com every day to weigh in on who’s most worthy of TV’s biggest honor!

1. Have to give it to Amy. I like Taylor and Lena for their dramatic performances and they can be funny sometimes, but Amy and Julia have them outclassed completely in comedy.

2. Steven says:

How is Edie Falco still being nominated. Nurse Jackie hasn’t been funny in years. Amy has to win this year. She just has to.

• Susan says:

I disagree. Nurse Jackie is funny, yes, it is taken a more serious tone, but there still some great moments. I cannot believe Julia Louis-Dreyfus is nominated again. She has got to be the most annoying over-rated actress on tv.

• Paul says:

“Nurse Jackie” hasn’t been funny in years because, frankly, it isn’t a comedy and I have no idea why it’s even in this category. LOL
      But Edie Falco’s been phenomenal!

3. Kris says:

Amy needs to seriously win this. She finally got the Globe this past year; hopefully she gets this one too!!

4. Diogo says:

Amy must win this year! I feel she’s the next Steve Carell, and that can’t happen.

5. Sam says:

It’s got to be Amy surely!

6. Jess says:

“I think awards are stupid. But they would be less stupid if they went to the right people.”
    -Ron Swanson

Julia Louis-Dreyfus is INCREDIBLE on Veep and hands down the best in the category. But Amy Poehler has created an amazing character in Leslie Knope and deserves an Emmy win once for the role. Really hope its her year!

7. Amy says:

Seeing that Lena only received 9 votes makes my day.

8. Tran says:

Amy Poehler will win. Taylor Schilling should win.

9. MattArmando says:

It should definitely go to AMY this year, she’s long overdue; plus, she upset at the Globes this year, so that could help her case. But it’ll probably go to Dreyfuss again. And again. And again.
    SHOULD WIN: Amy Poehler
    WILL WIN: Julia Louis-Dreyfuss

10. A. D. says:

NONE of the Above!

• Joey says:

They’ll probably make the argument that Tatiana Maslany should win this category as well as every single category: acting, technical, doesn’t matter.

• Yolanda says:

Cause she deserves to win EVERYTHING. Duh! It’s the worst snub ever. Duh!

• Jerry says:

I have watched Orphan Black, and the very appeal of Tatiana Maslany is how she can impressively switch accents and portray the different clones very distinctively and of course with good acting. But I think the writing of the characters of the individual clones have been quite weak, compared to writing on just ONE character that stood out. If all the clones have been portrayed by 10 different actresses, no one would even think of Emmy buzz or awards. I still think Tatiana Maslany deserved to be nominated and should win because of the fact that, well, she played the characters so well, but I think she might have been snubbed because the distraction of playing different characters took away from the “shining moment” of an individual character. And of course, the very main “leading” character of Sarah Manning which in my opinion is the weakest of all the clones didn’t help her.

11. ... says:

Louis-Dreyfus, easily. Schilling is good, sometimes great, but never exceptional. McCarthy is always much better than the material she receives. Dunham is category filler at this point, as is Falco, as great as the latter may be. Leslie has far and away been the weakest link for Parks during the last two seasons and part of that has been Poehler’s performance – she’s become more shrill and mug-y in recent seasons, so I don’t think she deserves to win.

12. SJ says:

Julia for the win!

13. Ron says:

Amy, all day everyday. Julia is great, but Amy is long overdue. Her losing streak has kinda become ridiculous at this point. I love the after party for Emmy losers that Amy and Jon Hamm have (the one where they make winners donate $1000 to charity to gain entrance). But I’m hoping Amy is the one paying $1000 this year because she really deserves the win.

14. webly3 says:

Amy/Taylor/Lena would make me happy (especially Amy/Taylor). If Julia wins, she deserved it… but I’ll be very upset because she’s won like 5 times already. We know she’s great. That’s been established.

15. Joey Padron says:

I want Amy to win. It was great she won Golden Globe for show earlier this year,

16. Parker says:

I really hope Amy wins this year! But I do feel like it’s still Julia’s trophy to lose.

17. philosofik says:

Tatiana Maslany. Not nominated, but should win anyway.

18. Babybop says:

This has got to be Amy’s year.

19. Jerry says:

I actually thought Julia Louis-Dreyfus is even more funny this year than the previous two years, capping off the best season yet for Veep, so probably JLD has a strong shot again. Though I think Amy Poehler may finally win. For acting awards, Emmy rarely goes for 3 times in a row, only Bryan Cranston managed to do that.

Taylor Schilling may also pull off a win, though the fact that she isn’t a very comedic character (even compared to fellow cast members Uzo Aduba and Kate Mulgrew) made it quite unlikely.

20. Coal says:

Emmy Rossum, wait ?

21. Mich says:

All these ladies are talented, but really hope Amy Poehler finally wins an Emmy. I adore JLD and think she’s amazing on Veep, but Poehler is overdue.

22. A-Mi says:

I’m torn! For me, it’s down to Amy Poehler and Julia Louis-Dreyfus. I absolutely adore Leslie Knope and think Poehler does a fantastic job portraying her. But, for me, Louis-Dreyfus KILLS it in every scene that she’s in.