Emmys

Emmys 2014: What Should Win Best Comedy Series? Take Our Poll!

dw_comedy_8.4.14

Quick! Name the last Emmy winner for Best Comedy Series that wasn’t Modern Family?

The answer, of course, is 30 Rock, which took home the statuette in 2009.

RELATED Emmy Poll 2014: Who Should Win Best Supporting Actor in a Drama?

But ABC’s multi-generational family sitcom has claimed the win in 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013 — and is going for the five-peat this year.

Two freshman challengers will try to thwart Modern Family: Netflix’s Orange Is the New Black and HBO’s Silicon Valley.

RELATED Emmys Poll 2014: Who Should Win Best Supporting Actress in a Drama?

Meanwhile, Veep and The Big Bang Theory, respective winners in 2013 for Lead Actress and Lead Actor in a Comedy (for Julia Louis-Dreyfus and Jim Parsons), will try to land the big prize this time around. (Veep is nominated for the third consecutive year, while TBBT is in the race for the fourth straight time.)

Rounding out the field? FX’s Louie, which has to hope that in terms of its Emmy chances, the second time being nominated will be the charm.

What would you do if you had the power to honor one of these fine shows when the Emmys are handed out on Aug. 25? Take our poll below to vote for your favorite, then hit the comments to justify your pick!

Every weekday for the next fortnight, we’ll launch another “Who Should Win” Emmy poll, so come back to TVLine.com every day to weigh in on who’s most worthy of TV’s biggest honor!

1. Tran says:

The streak will be over for Modern Family but OITNB will win and TBBT should win.

2. torimelching says:

I would think Veep or OITNB have the best shot at winning. How Modern Family keeps winning is beyond me. It stopped being funny to me in the middle for the 3rd season.

3. Sara says:

The only show out of these options that I have watched multiple episodes of would be Orange is the New Black (which I wouldn’t really call a “comedy”) and I’m not even done with the first season yet.

Parks and Rec should have been nominated.

So, really I don’t much care who wins this category. *shrug*

4. SJ says:

VEEP hands down!

5. crog says:

Hopefully orange wins. I only watch it and big bang of those comedies but I really don’t want big bang to win since its been really bad for me since Amy joined, which is around when it became extremely popular.

• CJ says:

Same here. I’d love to see OITNB win it this year. I used to watch TBBT but I finally dropped it this past season. Too much Amy Farrah Fowler and not enough actually funny jokes. They’ve really ruined the dynamic of the original 5 characters that made it so great to begin with.

6. Patty Stamps says:

Veep was SO good this season. It keeps pushing the envelope and I love it more and more. Still shocked Silicon Valley made it, but Sundays nights on HBO are the best!! The cast on Silicon Valley is great.

7. webly3 says:

Orange Is the New Black. If any show deserves to take over Modern Family, it’s OITNB. However, I wouldn’t be mad if Veep or Big Bang Theory won either.

8. I’ve watched the entire season of Orange, and very much enjoyed it.

But it has never, in no way, ever been a comedy.

9. Steven says:

Should have been Parks and Rec, but I think OITNB has the best chance this year. Modern Family just isn’t what it used to be.

10. IMHO says:

Modern Family has been off it’s game for awhile now. It’s a good show but winning the Emmy 5 years in a row, I don’t think so.
    It’s about time BBT won
    OITNB & Silicon Valley were good too.

11. Spencer says:

Parks and Red should win, but sadly that’s not an option. As long as Modern Family or Big Bang Theory loses I’m happy. Both shows are over-rated and not funny anymore.

12. Shaun says:

No Brooklyn 99,so depressing.

13. Kyle says:

Parks and Recreation or The Mindy Project! If only the Emmy nominating was just.

14. HAP says:

Veep is the most consistently funny show on TV right now. If only they did more episodes.

OITNB is a great show in the wrong category.

Although I’m a big fan of Louis CK, this season was weak. In fact, I thought Maron was the better show of that ilk.

Silicon Valley really surprised me, and it got stronger as the season went on. TJ Miller should have been nominated, because the show is not much without him.

15. Brigid says:

Out of all of these, I watch Modern Family and that isn’t as good as it use to be. Brooklyn 99 or Parks and Rec…that is all.

16. Lauren says:

Just not Modern Family again, please. It’s still a cute show but it is nowhere near the caliber of its competition. Feels like it wins out of habit.

17. Jeanne says:

Modern Family only has 2 plots. Cam getting his feelings hurt and Claire is stressed out. OITNB should not even be in this category.

18. ... says:

Veep, easily. I had some issues with Orange’s second season, though it would be my second option if Veep were to not win. Otherwise, it’s a weak category this year, with a self-indulgent season of Louie, Big Bang as bland and mechanical as ever, Silicon Valley Entourage with nerds, and Modern Family definitely on a creative downswing.

19. rawley says:

More like a write-in ballot for Parks and Recreation OR The Mindy Project.

20. Jake says:

Cannot stand Julia Louis-Dreyfus or VEEP. I think she is the most over-rated actress on t.v. So I am up for anything but her series.

21. Veep is hilarious and underrated. Such a great show!

22. Parker says:

Parks and Rec :D

23. Monica says:

VEEP for sure!!

24. Dan the critic says:

The Simpsons is still the best comedy on TV today. There are not that many good ones left, maybe just the Big Bang Theory, Modern Family, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Family Guy, and the Exes. Gone are the days of Seinfeld, Soap, Cheers, Raymond, Frasier, Friends, Taxi, Mash, WKRP, Barney Miller, Roseanne, Happy Days, or the earlier classics like Lucy, All in the Family, The Honeymooners, The Brady Bunch, Batman, and Jeannie.

25. BrookeB says:

I think Parks and Rec, New Girl or Brooklyn 99 are good options. They all make me laugh out loud every episode, which is really hard to do. Love these 3 shows. Too bad they aren’t nominated…

26. Isbella says:

Parks and Rec should win, but since it’s not an option I vote for Veep. Honestly, as long as it isn’t TBBT I’ll be happy, the rest of those shows are fantastic.

27. Heathers says:

The Middle

28. FRANCES DEGRUSH says:

I WATCH BIG BANG THEORY EVERY NIGHT EXCEPT MONDAY BECAUSE IT IS NOT ON
    ON MONDAY ON THE DISH NETWORK. THE SHOW WOULDN’T BE ANYTHING WITHOUT SHELDON. ACTUALLY THEY NEED ALLTHE STARS IN THE SERIES BECAUSE
    THAT IS WHAT MAKES THE SHOW SO GOOD.

29. carter says:

The Mindy Project should have been on this list instead of the noncomedy OITNB. Gotta give this award to The Big Bang Theory. One of only a few shows that actually makes me laugh out loud. Just as long as its not the overrated Modern Family