Emmys

Emmy Poll 2014: Who Should Win Best Supporting Actor in a Drama?

dw_emmy_best_sup_actor_7.29.14

The Emmy race for Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Drama Series has swung back and forth like a pendulum this decade — and if the trend continues, it’ll be Breaking Bad‘s Aaron Paul (a winner in 2010 and 2012, but not 2011 and 2013) who’ll stroll up to the poduium in this even-numbered year.

RELATED Emmys Poll 2014: Who Should Win Best Supporting Actress in a Drama?

Yet while Paul won’t have last year’s champ — the now inelligible Bobby Cannavale of Boardwalk Empire — to thwart his chances, there will be other Emmy darlings in his path, including Game of Thrones‘ Peter Dinklage, a winner in 2011, as well as Jim Carter (nominated in 2014 for the third time for Downton Abbey) and second-time nominees Josh Charles (The Good Wife) and Mandy Patinkin (Homeland).

RELATED Emmys 2014: What Should Win Best Drama Series? Take Our Poll!

Even Jon Voight, new to the category for his work in Ray Donovan, has two prior nods in the Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Miniseries or a Movie division (for 2002’s Uprising and 2006’s Pope John Paul II).

Yep, all of these fellas have paid their dues.

What would you do if you had the power to honor one of these fine actors when the Emmys are handed out on Aug. 25? Take our poll below to vote for your favorite, then hit the comments to justify your pick!

Every weekday for the next couple of weeks, we’ll launch another “Who Should Win” Emmy poll, so come back to TVLine.com every day to weigh in on who’s most worthy of TV’s biggest honor!

1. Eric says:

Aaron Paul knocked it out of the park this year. He deserves it.

2. Sam says:

All of the them are good so I can’t pick.

3. sr says:

Josh Charles! Eventhough his decision to leave killed ‘the Good wife’ for me, I still love him and he deserves the award.

4. Courtney says:

Either Charles, Aaron, or Peter – but I really think either Josh or Peter deserve it.

5. Tran says:

Toss-up between Peter Dinklage & Aaron Paul. Underdog picks: Josh Charles & Mandy Patinkin.

6. sarah j says:

Aaron Paul
    Yeah Science! :)

7. Magali says:

Can’t choose between Josh charles and Peter Dinklage. Both exceptional!

8. Mike says:

Carter was a cypher. Don’t watch Ray Donovan. Aaron Paul already has two Emmys and didn’t bring anything outstanding this year. Dinklage and Charles are neck and neck for me, both amazing actors with outstanding seasons and episodes. But Dinklage has gold, Charles doesn’t. That’s the deciding factor.

• Alex Potter says:

Aaron Paul didnt bring anything outstanding this year??! Are you kidding me??! Did you even watch the final 8 of Breaking Bad?!

• Rocco says:

The only thing Aaron did this final season was scream. I think Peter will definitely win cause he seriously looked and sounded like he was angry and wanted to kill everyone!

9. Jax&Juice's Girl says:

Hands down Peter Dinklage. Aaron Paul already won twice so let the ”little IMP” take the prize!

• Ron says:

In fairness, though he may not have 2, Peter has won once before. If we’re strictly choosing winners based on who hasn’t won before, then it should be Josh…

10. Jake says:

For me it would be between Jim Carter and Peter Dinklage. Two great shows and two great actors.

11. Elena says:

It’s very hard to choose between Josh Charles and Peter Dinklage because they are both so amazing, but the speech Tyrion gave in season four just really hit home emotionally for me. Does anyone know what episode Josh Charles submitted for himself? I personally thought “Hitting the Fan” and the 100th episode were absolutely stand-out work for him this year. I wouldn’t be upset with either of them winning.

12. taahimar says:

Torn between Josh Charles and Aaron Paul.

13. IMHO says:

Aaron Paul , B*tch !
    Or Peter Dinklage both actors were fantastic.
    As long as it’s NOT Jon Voight . I really love Ray Donavan but personally Voight just makes my skin crawl on and off the show . It would be a bummer if Voight won over Paul , Drinklage or Charles.

14. Ron says:

This is difficult. Definitely not Jon or Jim. (I’m shocked Jim was even nominated. Not shocked Jon was, but I don’t see the jaw-to-the-floor greatness I see with the others.) I love Mandy, but unfortunately I also don’t think he deserves it this year (Homeland was all-around rocky this season). So, for me, it comes down to Josh, Peter, and Aaron. All three were phenomenal. My vote goes to Aaron, because no other nominee made me feel for their character like Aaron made me feel for Jesse. But I’d be happy with either Josh, Peter, or Aaron.

15. Nick says:

Aaron Paul….BITCH!

16. Bwhit says:

Aaron Paul! No question about it, he was amazing in every scene especially that last one with Bryan Cranston as Walt.

17. Larry McD says:

Voight has no business even being nominated. He’s just playing himself.

18. HAP says:

Anyone but Voight.

19. Alex Potter says:

I hate that they can only submit one episode. That seems so unfair to all the actors. Its ridiculous to think that one actor could win the emmy just because they happen to have ONE amazing moment in one episode even though one actor could be amazing through out the entire season but not have that one amazing scene in one episode.

20. ScorpionGlow says:

Mandy or Josh. Would love to see Walton Goggins win this.

• lastone65 says:

Justified is one the best series on TV – they never get nominated. There have been some spectacular performances in that series. The writing is top notch.

• ScorpionGlow says:

I feel the same. They do occasionally score nominations, but never for the show and even when a nomination comes through for any of the actors, no one wins, save Margo Martindale, which was well deserved. I feel like the show just started and this Winter is the final season. Very disappointing as a viewer.

• Stephen S. says:

Hell yeah! Timothy Olyphant and Walton Goggins both should have been nominated! Two of the best actors on television and two of the best characters!

21. lastone65 says:

I’m glad Charles’ character was killed in The Good Wife, but actually that show has run its course anyway. I won’t be watching any more. I don’t see anythin Emmy worthy in Charles’ performance in that series. All he never did was look at Alicia’s body parts and then get angry and wrinkle his brow – not much range of emotion. He always looked like he was acting. Dinklage’s role was not large enough this season to warrant an Emmy nomination much less an Emmy. Shooting your mean daddy on the toilet is not Emmy material. Downton Abbey is a soap opera, not a drama. Not Emmy worthy in any category. Aaron Paul deserves the Emmy because the final 8 epis of BBB revealed how much his character had grown and Aaron was absolutely perfect at portraying him.

• Rocco says:

Are you serious? You saw how Peter’s character dramatically change ever since his trial! Tyrion bottled up his anger and hatred his whole life and you finally saw it this season and he finally did what he had to do with his father in the finale

• Rocco says:

And he wasn’t submitted for that season. He was submitted for his trial “confession”. Aaron had way better years and personally my favorite season with his performance was 4

• Miranda says:

I get the sneaky suspicion you don’t know what acting or character development actually look like.

22. Stephen S. says:

Jon Voight, however you’ll get no complaints from me if it goes to Charles or Patinkin as well. Heck, I wouldn’t even complain about Paul winning even though I don’t think it was his best season.

23. I believe the trial episode was submitted for Dinklage, based on that he’s a lock to win.

24. Rocco says:

I would be happy with either Peter or Aaron. But I will prefer Peter to win cause his speech in “The Laws of Gods and Men” was tremendous and definitely his best speech since the Blackwater battle episode. Aaron, on the other hand, had better years. Especially season 4. Peter>Aaron

25. JON says:

I really want Josh Charles to win. Kinda surprised that he ended up being the guy who’s been consistently nominated in this category for The Good Wife. When the show started, I thought for sure Chris Noth and Matt Czuchry would have bigger chances to be noticed. But I’m pleasantly surprised anyway that Josh’s been getting nominated.

26. Darla says:

Josh Charles please!! He is one of the most under rated actors on television. He’s phenomenal.

27. Nina says:

It’s definitely between Aaron Paul and Josh Charles for me!

28. A-Mi says:

It’s a tough category! But I think I have to go with either Josh Charles or Aaron Paul! Peter Dinklage did some amazing work this season though!

29. Carolyn says:

This was Josh Charles’ year– definitely deserves this one!

30. Britta Unfiltered says:

Aaron Paul actually has history working against him as nobody has ever won this category three times for playing the same character. But I think he can pull it off. I hope he does. Confessions was a pretty good submission for him. However, I could also be satisfied with a Dinklage win, and even a Josh Charles win would not be disappointing.

31. Mike Bee says:

Jon Voight stands out, makes an impact, more than any other supporting actor in this category.

• Mr. Nice says:

FINALLY!! Someone finally agrees with me along with the other 3% & the Golden Globes…I hate everything “Good Wife”, Aaron Paul bored me to death the last 8, Mandy Patankin had a chance in season 1 (maybe even 2), Dinklage had his 15 Emmy minutes, and “Downton Abby” may as well not even exist as far as I’m concerned, so.

32. Miranda says:

Such a great list of deserving nominees (save for Jim Carter) but I’m not gonna front – JOSH CHARLES FTW!!