Rookie Blue Recap: Deal With the Devil

Rookie Blue Season 5 Recap

It’s just not Oliver’s day on Thursday’s Rookie Blue as Duncan continues to cause problems for the officers of 15 Division. Meanwhile, Chris is caught mid-high, and Gail reaches out to her ex.

RELATED Rookie Blue‘s Missy Peregrym Talks Andy and Sam’s Step Forward, ‘Big’ Issues Ahead

DUNCAN FAIL RATING | I’m going to say nine, because at least he didn’t put any lives in physical jeopardy this time. Professional Standards pushes up the disciplinary meeting, forcing Oliver and Andy to scramble to put together her defense and explain why her reports on Duncan are kinder than reality. The questioning seems to be going OK, but then Duncan reveals that he recorded his conversation with Andy at the Penny, in which she basically admitted fault. (Oh, Andy.) To save Andy’s behind, Oliver makes a deal with Police Commissioner Jarvis. Oliver will remain Staff Sergeant, much to his displeasure, and Jarvis shuts down the investigation. Meanwhile, Andy is upset when Oliver admits she wasn’t ready to be a training officer, but can you blame him?

To put the cherry on Oliver’s crummy day, his daughter Izzy shows up at 15 Division because she got into trouble at school. Then she disappears while Gail is “babysitting” her. In the end, Oliver discovers that Izzy’s upset because she saw his girlfriend Celery performing a fertility exercise, which is news to Oliver. The two then take off for some much-needed daddy/daughter bonding.

RELATED Rookie Blue Spoilers on Andy/Sam’s Future, Nick’s Next Step and More

MENDING BRIDGES | Gail tries to make good with Holly, inviting her out for a drink. Unfortunately, it’s too late — Holly has moved on and is seeing someone new! Ouch. But maybe all hope is not lost for the former couple? When Holly returns some evidence to the precinct, Gail tries again to the mend their relationship, apologizing and telling her she wants to change. Sure, they don’t necessarily make up and get back together, but I can’t help feeling like Gail cracked the door back open a bit with her sincerity.

ON A HIGH | Chris’ secret is out when Dov discovers a bag of coke in his friend’s car. Instead of being sick, like he called in, Chris is at home drinking, playing online poker and getting high. And he’s really bad at covering up his drugs when Dov arrives. Naturally, Dov is furious — this is his house Chris has coke in, after all — while Chris miserably fails at playing the “I’m not a junkie!” card. Dov reminds him that he’s a cop. It’s all very messy, and I’m not just talking about the room.

BIRTHDAY SURPRISE | Am I crazy or am I sensing some vibes between Chloe and Nick? While the two are on a case together on her birthday, she shares her B-day tradition: Eating popcorn and watching The Breakfast Club. So when a package with those two things was left for her at the front desk, I immediately thought it was from Nick and that he was coming through for the win while Dov was MIA dealing with Chris. But it was actually from Chloe’s husband Wes, so I guess he’s not out of the picture yet.

Rookie Blue fans, how great was it to see Matt Gordon (aka Oliver) in the spotlight? Should Holly take back Gail? And please tell me I’m not nuts re: Nick/Chloe.

1. Amy says:

It’s sad that the show is finally hitting a grove and it only has 11 episodes. Enjoyed tonight’s episode. Duncan is still awful and really needs a reality check. Andy and Sam are so great this season. Holly needs to stay gone. Really, team Gail all the way here.

2. Kat says:

it’s weird that season 5 is really 22 episodes long, but we have no idea when the other 11 episodes are airing (or did i miss something?).

in any case, duncan is going to get somebody killed, i swear.

i got some weird nick-chloe vibes, too. i also thought the present was from him.

the storyline with diaz is really making me upset, but i guess they wanted to mix things up for his character.

also: “operation cannoli”? really?

• Sheila says:

I think the other episodes are airing next summer. There was an article on here about that a couple of weeks ago, maybe?

• Kat says:

hmm…i’ll have to go back and see if i can find it. if they’re really not airing the other 11 until next summer, i would almost consider that a separate season. silly abc.

• Shaun says:

Think it’s only ABC doing that…..Global airing them all I think.

• Lambsilencer says:

No, Global does the same. They aired episode 10 this week, and advertised next week’s episode as the “season finale”.
        What could be different is that Global will decide to air the back 11 earlier than ABC, maybe in the fall. But a date for those has not been set by Global yet. Personally, I think they’ll air them next summer, too.

3. Kathryn says:

Calling all Rookie Blue reviewers, Jarvis is NOT the Police Commissioner. Jarvis is protecting Duncan to suck up to Duncan’s step father. Many seem to be getting this wrong, maybe because of the unfamiliar Canadian police ranks. Jarvis is an Inspector, a few levels below the Commissioner at the top. (Duncan’s step father is basically like Tom Selleck’s character on Blue Bloods, though clearly not as tough and upright on the issue of nepotism)

• Amanda says:

I am not sure Jarvis is protecting Duncan so much as protecting himself and Oliver, he said something about it not being a good idea for the staff Sargent or Inspector to be pissing off the commissioner. He also said that Oliver should “re-train” Duncan and stick him on desk duty or something.

4. meghananna says:

Oliver is one of the best characters on the show. He deserves way more spotlight than he gets!

5. robinepowell says:

Deal with the Devil is exactly what I said about Oliver when I watched this episode two weeks ago on Global! :)

I have a feeling this new inspector has something up his sleeve and we’ll have to wait for part two of season five to find out what that is.

6. Anne says:

I didn’t feel anything “weird” between Chloe and Nick. I like that’s they’re friends since Nick has no friends in previous seasons just girlfriends. Nick and Oliver are the only characters I care about anymore.