Comic-Con

Once Upon a Time @ Comic-Con: Evil Reborn, Elsa's 'Surprise' and More

Once Upon a Time Season 4 Regina Robin Hood

Is Once Upon a Time‘s Evil Queen back with a vengeance?

A sneak peek at the ABC drama’s Season 4 premiere, screened at the San Diego Comic-Con on Saturday, suggested as much, as Regina sought out a familiar frenemy.

“I need my mirror,” she declares, visiting Giancarlo Esposito’s entrapped adviser. “There’s someone standing in the way of my happiness. I need your help getting rid of them.”

VIDEO Once Upon a Time Stars Preview ‘Passion,’ a ‘Complicated’ Triangle, Hook’s New Look, Cool Frozen Twists

Is Regina’s heartbreak, brought on by the return of Robin Hood’s “dead” wife Marian, going to lead her back down a dark road? “I think she has something up her sleeve. But is anyone surprised about that one?” star Lana Parrilla previewed with a laugh. “She’s a bit conflicted. She’s enjoyed being good [and] light magic. However, old habits die hard.”

In turn, Regina’s relationship with Henry’s other mother will go through its own ups and down, as the two come to terms with the fact that Emma is responsible for this unexpected “resurrection.”

“It’s an impossible situation,” Jennifer Morrison described. “I can’t apologize for saving a life. Yet I’m horrified that I’ve gotten in the way of Regina’s happiness…. It adds a nice element of conflict and concern and generosity.”

RELATED ABC Boss Talks Once‘s Take on Frozen

Other highlights from the panel:

ONCE UPON A FROZEN TIME | Another first look at the season opener featured Anna and Elsa (played by Elizabeth Lail and Fringe‘s Georgina Haig) visiting their parents’ grave. Elsa then tells Anna that she has a surprise for her before her wedding.

MAKEOVER SEQUENCE | As TVLine reported, Hook will be getting some modern ‘duds. “It’ll be nice to wear something new,” Colin O’Donoghue enthused, noting that Hook’s leather coat weighs 50 pounds.

FATHER AND GRANDSON | “We’re definitely exploring that relationship [between Henry and Mr. Gold] more,” series cocreator Adam Horowitz teased, adding that they just shot a “beautiful scene” between the two.

RELATED Scoop on Once‘s Extreme Hook Makeover

RUMBELLE UPDATE | Despite his dagger-related betrayal, cocreator Eddy Kitsis noted that Rumple and Belle’s wedding was truly heartfelt. “When we wrote it, he absolutely loved her,” he said. “Those vows were genuine. But that doesn’t mean he doesn’t have his weaknesses.” Added Robert Carlyle: “I think the story’s got a long way to play. I think this dagger may come back again, and get lost again, and come back again….”

MATTERS OF THE HEART | Who is Emma’s true love? The EPs and cast aren’t spilling. “She’s on a journey,” Horowitz replied. “It’s not really about her relationships; it’s about finding herself.” But perhaps there’s a hint to be found in this statement from Kitsis about the difference between true love and soul mates: “True love is when you truly love someone. Soul mate is the idea that there’s only one person for you. On our show, we’ve learned that happy endings aren’t what you would expect. If you love somebody, if it doesn’t work out, you should love again.”

RELATED Once Upon a Time Mystery: Who Is Elizabeth Mitchell Playing…?

ONCE UPON A… MUSICAL? | It’s not looking likely that Once will get its song and dance on. “The problem with doing a musical [episode] is we don’t know how,” Kitsis shared. So if you were holding onto the idea that the Frozen infusion would get musical… well, let it go.

1. Ana says:

Interesting. I always thought Emma’s choice of partner and love would be very important considering that she’s the product of true love, therefor eher finding that is part of her identity. I truly believe after season 2 and especially 3 that Killian is that person for her. But no definite statement from Adam and Eddy? That feels a bit weird…

• Leny1 says:

It is important, but like Adam said in the full clip of the panel… that her relationship with Hook is a part of her whole journey, her MAIN journey is finding herself and so on, which she still is on. and her family, her home, her son, and Hook – all part of that.
      Hook and Emma are soulmates, i mean they have the connection, they FIT together, you inspire to be better, you confide in them, you challenge them and more.
      i think its best to watch the FULL clip them a portion of what this article is saying.

2. Mary says:

They killed Emma’s true love.

• franz says:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAH NO.

• Moment says:

If Bae was her true love, why does she seem happier, well, more natural, around Hook? They have great chemistry together.

• Jess says:

I think Neal was/will be Emma’s true love/soul mate. I honestly think they were meant to be. But I do think Emma will fall in love with Hook. You can have many true loves but only one soul mate and I don’t think it’s Hook.

• Leny1 says:

I disagree, He was her first love, that she loved, truly did (i have no claims admitting that, but true love and soulmate thing – NO) He never once chose her or ever came back, or ever found her very this is what you do in true love, and also soulmate thing wise is to believe in them, challenge them – this is not what they had. He was insensitive and made her feel small at time. and judged her magic and who she was, thats not how it is.

• Joey says:

Preach it, sister.

3. Kay says:

I never thought Neal was Emma’s true love, I never felt any passion there from either one of them! I think she had more chemistry with August or The Hatter, but right now I like her with Hook…..

4. franz says:

Hook is obviously Emma’s True Love.

• Leny1 says:

He has to be. He basically has done pretty much what Charming does for Snow, in the sense those elements in true love, FIGHT/FIND/CHOOSE/NEVER GIVE UP, sacrificed his home aka his ship to FIND Emma, transcending realms for her. Always comes back to her, believes in her etc. Emma has always had feelings, instant attraction and connection with him, but she’s things have been in the way between them esp and importantly is Emma’s walls and issues, and in season 4 i still believe they are there – in the sense, yes she has let him in, but its now about completely letting him in and falling in love with him, or atleast realizing she loves him, because all this time she has kept him at arms length due to being scared of hurting and heartbreak.

5. If they don’t know how to do a musical, hire people who do. Get someone like Shankman to write and direct a Once musical.

6. Amanda says:

As far as romance goes, I think it’s pretty obvious by now who’s Emma’s true love/soulmate. I have no idea how they’re going to go about addressing both the fact that Robin and Regina are soulmates, but Regina killed his wife. I don’t think Regina deserves a happy ending but I still want her to find one, but I don’t want Robin and Maid Marian to split either. Regina, IMO, hasn’t actually suffered the consequences for destroying hundreds of lives for selfish reasons (and she says at one point that she doesn’t regret it) butI still want her to find happiness. ugh this show and making me feel complicated things

• Guest says:

I think the problem is not that Robin Hood is Regina’s soulmate, but rathet tha Regina is his, which mean he has just lost as much as she has with Marion back. On hand hand he married the wrong person, just like Regina did. On the other hand, the wrong person was brought back just as he found true happiness. It would be as if Snow’s father would rise from the dead just to force Regina to remain married to him

• JC1 says:

And that’s a problem I’ve had with Robin and Regina from the beginning – this implication that Marian is the “wrong person”. Robin Hood and Maid Marian are a legendary couple, and I fail to see why the writers decided to tear that apart just so Regina could have a love interest. They should have found, or created, a character that didn’t already have a fairy tale or legendary match, like they did with Emma. If they’d simply presented the pairing as a second love or second chance after Marian’s and Daniel’s deaths, that would have been one thing, but no, they had to throw all this stuff about pixie dust and soulmates in there. I’m sorry, but I haven’t been a fan of this storyline since the Tinkerbelle episode.

• Guest says:

Actually, Marion and Robin Hood were wrong for each other: the original lengend speaks of an outlaw and a noble woman, or a not-so-maiden french sheperdess and her lover. Neither of them the match made in heaven the animated film from Disney led us to believe. So, if you look at it from the actual legend’s perspective, it makes sense Robin never found true love with the woman he married, just like Regina never found it with the man she married.

• M&M says:

This. And besides. What’s the point of saying your’re putting a new twist on old tales when you’re only repeating the stories as we know them now thanks to Hollywood, Disney, etc.
            I was so disappointed with their Ariel story. It was an exact replica of the story as Disney told it. When there are so many legends and tales about mermaids to work with! I am much happier with their Robin Hood.

7. Kyle says:

I’m one of those people who couldn’t care less about Emma’s love life. I always prefer her with her parents, with Henry, even this weird frenemy back and forth she has going on with Regina. I wish they would focus more on that again.
    I don’t know how I feel about Henry spending time with Mr. Gold after he just killed Henry’s aunt. You might say the Wicked Witch had it coming, but he killed her in cold blood when she was completely defenseless and then lied to everyone from the Charming family, Regina and Robin to Belle about it. I don’t think Mr. Gold would hurt Henry, but after what he did in the finale I think there would have to be consequences.
    I know they have a cast with musical talent. But I won’t be sad if they don’t do a musical episode. On a fairytales show it has the potential to become terribly cheesy.
    I hope they don’t go back to making Regina flip flop back and forth between good and evil. She has worked so hard on becoming a better person. She’s hurt now and it makes sense that she is, but I don’t want to see her becoming evil again over this at all. It would feel like the writers ripping away what they build up over the past seasons.

• Moment says:

The human side of Gold/Rumple would prevent him from hurting Henry. As he is still the Dark One, I guess at times he has those dark impulses, he just needs to control that.

• Name That Tune says:

Hear, hear!

Totally have lost interest in the show. Will only be watching on DVR because the gimmicky moments of the show are boring me to death.

Will be more interested in Sunday Night Football this fall.

8. Jennifer says:

I really like the quote from JMo about Regina because it gives me hope that they won’t go back to square one with those two. They’ve been through too much and come too far for that. I was disappointed that there was nothing about Henry and Emma or Henry and Regina. I really wish they would deal with the repercussions of his having two sets of memories.

9. Lucy says:

Hope they manage well Rumbelle this season; watch at least a glimpse of Belle backhistory and her interacting with other characters. I love the idea of Rumple and Henry.

10. Ian says:

This season just sounds weird to me. Like it’s a filler season. Where’s any of it going?

And I’ll never forget that Manhattan episode. Neal was/is Emma’s true love. “Captain Swan” is trying too hard. Not that I even care about her love life, really. People just tend to make a sport out of any protagonist’s romantic life.

• meresger says:

Agreed. CS went from 0-60 with no development for the characters or relationship over the course of what is supposed to be a couple of weeks. It makes no sense and it just makes Emma seem slutty and Hook seem shallow in that he gave up revenge to fall suddenly in love with his step-son’s baby momma and c-blocked the poor guy at every turn even when he was alive. The scene where Charming sent Hook, the one person who could take Emma’s magic an endanger his infant son with her in a situation where he would, as Emma said, be useless, pretty much defines the entire CS relationship. And they keep dropping these stupid hints that Emma has no idea that Milah is Neal’s mother and that’s supposed to be amusing? It’s just gross. And now they want Hook to *wink wink* be her soul mate like Neal was just some convenient plot device to get them together by suffering for 300 years and then being conned by August who got a second chance? It’s BS that panders to the Twilight-type fangirl segment of the demo and they can try to say that it’s all about Emma’s journey and not her relationships in a frankly pathetic attempt to retain some of the Season 1 credibility, but A&E have clearly sold out to the studio now with this Frozen gimmick. It’s sad. I used to like this show, but it’s turned into a soap opera or a poorly written Game of Thrones knock-off where everyone in the family is trying to kill or sleep with each other and violent both physical, sexual, and mental is excused by villains doing the right thing not because it’s right, but because they want to get into bed with someone who is their “soul mate”; at least the GoT characters admit how wrong and sleazy it is. With soul mates like they have on OUAT, I would rather go looking ton Twitter for love; there’s probably less chance of hooking up with a sociopath!

• Joey says:

Everything I’ve wanted to say wrapped up in one beautiful comment.

• Guest says:

Then again, Game of Thrones doesn’t deal in soulmates, there’s not just one person the characters can find true happiness with, which is why Catelyn Stark had 5 children with the brother of the man she wanted to marry, Ser Loras is perfectly alright despite he outlived Renly, or Jaime & Brienne can find happiness in each other despite they believe they are still in love with Cersei and Renly respectively.
        Once Upon a Time, on the other hand, wrote itself into a corner with true love and now it has failed to deliever it with the main lead, so they are making things up with Emma’s journey rather than own their mistake with Graham, August, Neal – and I’m sure a couple of others – before Hook came along

• Name That Tune says:

This!

• maureen says:

I guess I am unsure as to what the issue is the Milah was Neal’s mom and what adverse affect that has on Emma. It happened hundreds of years before Hook and Emma met and there is absolutely no familial connection between the two. And the whole point of true love, etc or soulmates etc is that you fall in love with who you fall in love with. I don’t think Hook sought Emma out to fall in love with her, in fact they met by chance. I personally think that Hook did more for Emma than Neal ever did. He basically abandoned her and has never really been there for her. Hook on the other hand, has always been, sometimes in his own way but has always been. The stuff that happened between Emma and Neal happened way before Hook came along. And I disagree that the CS relationship took only a few episodes to develop. It has been developing for 1 1/2 seasons to get to where they were in the finale-and to me, there was lots of character development. Hook did forego revenge, but that was in part to win Emma’s heart, which is a naturel evolution of someone’s character. Hook practically changed his whole persona to prove to Emma he was worthy. Emma also developed her character as she went from not trusting anyone to trusting hook and herself.

11. T says:

I’m surprised that nobody has asked them whether Mulan will be back to finish her storyline regarding Aurora and will we ever get to find out how they got back Prince Philip?

• Ian says:

Jamie Chung apparently has another role or something, but hopes they’ll be able to revisit it one day.

I’d be beyond excited to see this show explore such a relationhship though. Obviously it’s an important message, that true romantic love isn’t restricted to heterosexual couplings.

• JC1 says:

It’d be a better message if it didn’t involve breaking up an already existing true love couple. Seriously, what was Mulan (aka the writers) thinking? That Aurora was going to abandon her true love Philip and waltz off to live happily ever after with her? And also, way to stab Philip, her supposed friend, in the back by stealing his wife.

12. Sarah says:

What is Will Scarlett going to be doing? He has become my favourite character, and if Anastasia isn’t going to be on, they better mention why she’s not there with Will. They better not break them up!

• JC1 says:

I’ve been wondering if this is all pre-Wonderland. That would be an easy way to explain the lack of Anastasia. Do we know when in the OUAT timeline the White Rabbit came for Will? Because if we don’t, it could be any time and we could as easily be pre-Wonderland as post-Wonderland.

• Lynyrd says:

I believe Wonderland took place at the tail end of OUAT S1, so shortly after the curse was broken. Then OUAT had the year skip, so Will’s appearance will pretty much have to be post Wonderland.

13. JC1 says:

I am not a Robin/Regina shipper – I’m going to say that up front. I think the actors have a lot of chemistry, but the storyline just has been rushed and hasn’t made sense to me from the beginning. So my biggest worry about this coming season is how the Regina/Robin/Marian triangle is going to be handled. I am not going to be happy if Robin cheats on Marian with Regina, or leaves Marian for the woman who tried to have her killed. I remember how the Mary Margaret/David/Katherine situation in season one severely dampened my enthusiasm for that ship, and I did ship Snowing. I like Regina, but she needs to take responsibility for her actions for once in her life and realize that her actions caused this, no one else, if the writers really are serious about redeeming her.

• Kyle says:

Huh? Regina has to own up to what happened between her and Marian in the past, but it’s certainly not Regina’s fault that Marian was dragged from the past into a future she doesn’t belong. This triangle situation that we have no was in no way caused by anything Regina has done, but simply by the fact that two other characters travelled back in time and brought Marian back with them. Emma didn’t mean any harm so I don’t blame her. But I fail to see how Regina’s “actions caused this”. They really didn’t.

• JC1 says:

I beg to differ. If Regina hadn’t been running around madly slaughtering people left and right for helping Snow, Marian wouldn’t have been in prison awaiting a death sentence, and thus Emma wouldn’t have felt the need to bring her to the future to save her life. So yes, it is all Regina’s fault.

• River says:

If we go by that logic Emma should’ve brought more people than Marian to Sb. Nah. I’m more with Kyle on this.
          But I thought their season finale was so weak compared to s1 and s2 this time. I called the cliffhanger the minute they first showed Marian. So predictable.

• JC1 says:

Marian was the only one right there that Emma could help. And that’s hardly the point. The point is that Regina was running around massacring entire villages for helping Snow, and those actions have consequences that, one way or another, would have come between her and Robin. Before Emma changed the timeline, Regina killed Marian. That’s been confirmed by Lana Parilla. Even if Emma hadn’t brought her back and had left her to die, the fact that Regina murdered Robin’s wife would still eventually have come between them. What’s happening now is a direct result of Regina’s Evil Queen days coming back to haunt her. Nothing more, nothing less. Whether she will own up to that and admit responsibility is the question.

• River says:

What actors say in interviews and what then happens on their shows are often 2 different things. No disrespect to Parrilla. I’m she goes by what she knows or thinks as of now. But as of now we also have not seen Marian die on the actual show. So there is no such thing as fact until that happens. Until we see it with our own eyes. And if I remember correctly the writers also said right after the finale that there is more to this story with Marian and what happened to her than we know now. So yeah. I’m gonna let them finish.

14. Kirstylou says:

So check this trivia out : It’s about Regina’s loves!
    Daniel and Robin Hood are both in an episode of Cold Case season 7 episode Two Weddings. It’s so cool seeing them both together.

15. River says:

Season 3 of this show had me on the fence. I didn’t like the Neverland part, but the Oz part was better. But I thought the season finale was pretty boring. I’m gonna give them till episode 3 of season 4. After that I’ll decide if I’ll continue to watch this Frozen part.

16. Kelly Deeny says:

I must admit that when I saw Elsa at the end of the S3 finale I was both shocked and disappointed. But…I like the fact that they are picking up from where the film ended, not retelling what we just saw. There’s so much untold back story for all the characters, so I’m intrigued to see what happens.

I like the Emma-brought-back-Marian storyline because it adds conflict to Regina and Emma’s relationship while also reopening old wounds for Regina and Mary-Margaret, all of whom were in a good place prior to the new development.

I love Emma and Hook together (though I did also like her with August and Jefferson) as I think they add dimension to one another’s characters.

Looking forward to Season 4! I have “chills” just thinking about it!! :-)

17. maureen says:

I, for one, love Emma and Hook together. They each have their issues that are similiar and it has taken a long time for them, especially Emma, to run from her feelings and protecting herself and let Hook in. Hook knew way before he was in love with Emma and persevered until she did come to him in the end, because she wanted it-so I think Hook has won Emma’s true heart. I think she loved Neal but I think she really loves Hook! I cannot wait to see their relationship unfold in Season 4. No doubt it will have many ups and downs, but at the base IS true love.

18. notmoose says:

Y’know, I just want them to develop Henry and Regina’s relationship more. I mean, she raised him for eleven years and she loves him and it seemed like in that last episode Regina was all set to start a new family with Robin Hood. She deserves a bit more ‘normal’ with Henry.