Comic-Con

Sleepy Hollow @ Comic-Con: 'Whatever You Think Is Coming, Isn't Coming'

Sleepy Hollow Comic-Con 2014 Season 2 Spoilers

War is coming to Sleepy Hollow – but it’s not all bad news.

“With that comes redemption,” executive producer Mark Goffman previewed at the show’s San Diego Comic-Con panel on Friday.

But, EP Roberto Orci noted: “Whatever you think is coming, isn’t what’s coming.”

RELATED Sleepy Hollow EPs Tease New Baddies, Romantic ‘Bombs’ in Season 2 — Plus: Scary-Good New Cast Photos

As for the show’s central relationship, star Nicole Beharie revealed that Abbie “learns about why she’s a witness. At the end of the season, Ichabod betrayed Abbie by drawing the map. So now they have a bit of catching up to do.”

RELATED Sleepy Hollow Season 2: Look Who’s Playing Ichabod’s Psycho Ex!

Other highlights from the panel:

HISTORY REVAMPED | There’s lots of “twistory” coming, as one of the producers put it. “Starting in the premiere, we’re going to see a lot of Benjamin Franklin,” Goffman teased. “[Crane and Franklin] have an uneasy relationship. And Benedict Arnold makes an appearance.”

ICHABBIE | The cast and producers are sticking with what they said at the Television Critics Assoc. Press Tour last Sunday: Romance is not on the horizon for Abbie and Ichabod. “We did not conceive these characters by what you all have taken away from this relationship,” EP Heather Kadin said. Still, the set-up provides for a great dynamic between the two. “Starting with characters that are from such different eras gives us a long breadth to go,” Goffman said. With the fate of the world at stake, “They have to work together. The two of them together, they’re this amazing couple. … They have their differences, and they air them out.”

RELATED Exclusive: Sleepy Hollow Taps One Tree Hill Actor to Aid Ichabod & Abbie

THE GOOD WIFE | “There’s actually a really interesting [relationship] forming between Headless and Katrina,” Katia Winter teased. While everyone else only sees Headless, “Katrina can see him as Abraham.” Viewers will also get to see more “in depth why [Katrina and Ichabod] love each other so much.”

NEW ADDITIONS | Matt Barr (Hellcats) will play an arms dealer, while a new sheriff who shares a history with Abbie’s mother will pose an obstacle for Abbie and Ichabod.

1. Sam says:

I would love a show where a man and woman can be partners without a will they/won’t they dynamic. So I really hope they stick to this.

• Kevon says:

I fully agree… but I think it’s the more so on the fans that always want to push those will they/won’t they situations and then complain about them!

• JennieErin says:

I agree that sometimes the will they or won’t they can get annoying but in this case there is such an amazing chemistry with Ichabbie that they HAVE to pursue that at some point. If the character of Katrina (or the actress) was at all interesting then I would be perfectly happy with that relationship and would not feel so strongly about the Ichabod Abbie dynamic. For me if Ichabod & Katrina were everything the writers want us to believe that they say they are I would be cool with the just friends dynamic. But since that relationship is so lacking and the chemistry with Abbie so obvious I think that Ichabbie has to be the endgame. Not right now because so many other things have to happen but down the road five six seven years I want that as the endgame.

• Carla Krae says:

Agreed. There are more relationships in the scope of humanity than romance.

• EJ386 says:

Agreed! And also nice to see Matt Barr back on one of the shows I watch. Maybe he can hook up with Abbie? Or is it a one time thing?

2. Kat says:

I think the platonic relationship between Icabod and Abbie is great. I think it’s perfectly fine and understandable for people to ship them romantically. I’ve gone back and forth about 12,000 time on whether I romantically ship them myself or not. But I think this is one instance where I really hope the romance stays in fanfiction. They have a wonderful relationship without romance. There’s nothing wrong with romance, but there’s also nothing wrong with friendship. Friends who you love, friend who are your family you’re so close, those are important too, and that type of relationship between men and women is severely underrepresented in Western media, because everything has to become “will they won’t they” whether it makes sense or not. Icabod and Abbie would probably make sense if they did it right, but it’s unnecessary. Let the show highlight the love without it being romantic, and let fanfiction fill in the gaps for those who want it.

3. Angela says:

Benjamin Franklin and Benedict Arnold? Ooooooh. Fun! I look forward to that. I’m also quite intrigued by the thing with Katrina seeming to show some empathy towards Headless, and again, really interested to delve further into her relationship with Ichabod, too. It sounds like Katrina’s going to play a bigger role this season, which is good, I was hoping that would be the case.
    And so long as Ichabod and Abbie are working together and being awesome, that’s all I ask. I’m intrigued by whatever issues will come up between them that they’ll have to hash out, of course, but at the end of the day, they make a great team and as long as that’s in place, we’re good.
    Aaaagh! Every new piece of news just makes me that much more excited for September!

4. Chloe says:

In the first few episodes, I never considered Ichabod and Abbie as a future couple. But as the season continued, the chemistry between the actors exploded. Sometimes you have to capitalize on what you’ve got.

5. John Jacob says:

Am I the only one that’s surprised by how much I LOVE this show?! I started off being very skeptical because often these shows turn out to be duds. The pilot episode was so great and I wanted more more more. The whole first season really developed well and I never felt like I was watching filler crap. I am so happy they decided not to air 24 episodes a season. Even though I miss it when it’s off-air…at least it’s action packed while ON-AIR!

• Isobel says:

I think having only 13 episodes helps Sleepy Hollow not have any filler crap, all the writing and the budget is spent on 13 great episodes that push the story than 21 ok ones that alternate plot/ filler episodes. Like cable and British TV shorter seasons work well

• Angela says:

I had meant to check out the show when it debuted last fall, but other stuff came up and I fell behind as a result. But then I started hearing people I talk with going on and on about how good the show was, and finally, when I got some free time over Christmas break I saved up the episodes that I’d recorded and started watching them then…

…and I became hooked very quickly. Like, anytime I had a free moment in between other things going on I was doing some catching up and watching one episode right after another. I loved the comedic/quick-witted banter between Abbie and Ichabod (the funny moments in general I adored-Ichabod talking to Yolanda is still one of the best bits on the show), the whole “fish out of water” thing was great, I like the way they introduced the show setup, there were some genuinely creepy moments (anytime those…things…flew up towards the mirror I jumped a little), and I just love how all out crazy it was-anything went, time periods were mixed and messed with, and somehow, it all worked.
      I also greatly appreciated the Abbie/Jenny relationship. My relationship with my sister isn’t anywhere near as crazy as theirs is, but there were still a lot of very touching and spot on moments between those sisters that I could relate to and see in my own relationship with my sister. The cast chemistry as a whole is perfect, actually, and given that’s a big selling point for me with a show, that certainly helped a lot.
      A lot of people seemed skeptical of this show before it debuted, and it turned out to be the big surprise hit of last year, so it seems there’s many in the same boat as you! I’m glad people gave it a chance and it did so well, so here’s hoping they can build on that and gain more viewers and support next season.

6. Pat says:

I love the Sleepy Hollow news. I am so glad that the producers will not be pushing a love interest between Ichabod and Abbie. These two are great together as working colleagues and they do have a very close friendship. I am counting down the weeks for the Fall Season to start.

7. Ian says:

All I ask is that as a black person myself, I NEED them to keep on top of Nicole’s hair from now on. Keep that relaxer fresh and that weave moisturized and smooth. LOL (but seriously)

And I’m glad they’re not going there with Ichabbie romance. There are some connections that transcend romance. While Ichabod and Katrina have some forced and sappy arc about the show having to tell us how much they love each other, it’s this unlikeliest of the unlikely couples, this tough little spitfire black woman from present day and this upper class British soldier from the past, protecting one another and having each other’s backs and caring about the other enough to be willing to die for each other and for the world, that is the magic about this show.

• RReg says:

And after all of the relaxers have been taken care of – I still want Abbie and Icha together as a couple. They have chemistry together. Capitalize on it! Every show with a white couple always have them ending up together irrespective of the lack of chemistry between the leads – case in point my latest gripe – Castle.
      Why must we always be shown black women as a-sexual creatures. They are either playing the foil for some white bimbette who cannot act her way out of a wet paper bag or some half alive person.
      This is the 21st century. It is time we see multi-dimensional minority characters. Nicole and Icha have urges that need to be scratched. Allow them. Katrina can go scratch the headless horsemen or Moloch’s for all I care.

• Angela says:

Who ever said black women should be “a-sexual creatures”? I don’t think anyone here would have an issue with Abbie being in a romantic relationship-and it looks like the show is going to provide her some opportunities for that this coming season, if the news is anything to go by. Just that some people differ on whom it is she should have that relationship with, is all.
        But yeah, I’m all for Abbie getting some love in her life-she’s a cool, fun, smart, obviously gorgeous woman, who wouldn’t be interested in her?

• Lisa Benwitz says:

I totally agree with everything you said, Ian. Many viewers say they are “‘shipping” for romance, but what they really want to see is sex. To me, their intense friendship is entirely believable and entirely compelling. As human beings, people can be attracted to each other on that ‘amazing chemistry’ level, but choose not to perceive, let alone act on it, in a sexual way I feel bad for people who honestly believe that every intense relationship–on TV, the movies or in life–has to be sexual in order for it to be valid and compelling. I adore this show as it is. And I have high hopes for Ichabod and Katrina as time goes on–they haven’t really been together on screen long enough for me to be totally invested in their relationship. As it stands now, he seems to love her more, while she has secrets and her own agenda–but that’s interesting to me, too!

• RReg says:

I for one do not want to see both of them on screen together; and the rest of the world doesn’t either.
        Exactly what have Icha and Katrina ever done that was so great other than to create two of the horsemen of the apocalypse… Give it time, I’m sure we will be told they have had a hand in creating all four of them.

ICHABBIE ALL THE WAY… EVERY DAY … ANY DAY…

8. hayley says:

EW has a vidoe that doesnt work… any way the awesomeness of TVline could get it? :) I don’t think you would ever post a messed up video and tease us like that!

9. Drew says:

I love the way Ichabod is old school, more conservative in many ways and Abbie is like a modern, more liberal type woman. I really hope that they keep that dynamic around because its fun to see the ultimate Constitutional type conservative butting heads with a progressive without the normal anger and vitriol that comes from political comments on TV. It has been (and should remain) subtle, but they should keep it alive.