Comic-Con

Reign @ Comic-Con: Frary's 'Awkward' Future, Lola's Baby, Plague-Related Deaths and More Season 2 Scoop

Three of French Court’s finest — Toby Regbo, Megan FollowsAdelaide Kane — and executive producer Laurie McCarthy addressed their subjects at San Diego Comic-Con on Thursday, spilling a king’s ransom of secrets from Reign‘s upcoming second season.

RELATED Reign Scoop: Spartacus Star Nabs Dangerous Season 2 Role

Kane said Mary and Francis’ marriage is “going well so far,” though McCarthy warned Frary fans that they should be “a little nervous” about the couple’s future in Season 2. Francis and Mary will face countless obstacles, both “political” and sometimes “horrific.”

One of the latter elements will be the guilt hanging over Francis’ head following the murder of his father. “It’s going to eat me up inside, I imagine,” Regbo said.

“Season 2 is very much about what goes on beyond the castle walls,” McCarthy explained, noting that many nobles have been waiting for their day in court — so to speak — with Mary, Francis and Catherine.

RELATED Reign Promotes Jonathan Keltz to Series Regular for Season 2

And it sounds like Henry will be getting some company up in heaven — JK, we all know he’s in hell! — as the plague lands at Court “with a vengeance,” McCarthy teased. “Not everyone will survive it, among our people as well as a percentage of the regional population.” Those deaths, she revealed, will begin in Episode 1.

“What rises from the ashes of the plague” will also be interesting, McCarthy continued. “It’s about [Francis] inheriting a nation that is, in fact, burning.”

The situation between Francis, Mary and Lola will be “awkward,” following the birth of Francis and Lola’s child, Kane noted. Meanwhile, the dynamic between Mary and Catherine will remain unfathomably tense. (“There isn’t enough power to go around,” Follows explained.)

RELATED Reign Season Finale Recap: Born To Die

“There’s a chance for anything,” McCarthy said when asked about a potential Frary baby. “They’re going to try to make it happen.” (Kane said she’s excited to have “awkward” fake sex with Regbo on Saturday.)

For all you history buffs, it doesn’t sound like Francis will be dying on Reign as quickly as he did in real life. “I’m in no rush to say goodbye to Toby or Francis,” McCarthy said, adding that she’s a total Frary shipper.

And don’t count on the Mary-Francis-Bash love triangle returning anytime soon — or ever.

“They’ll always have a special relationship,” Kane said of Mary and Bash moving forward. “I just don’t think they’ll bang.”

Reign‘s second season begins Thursday, Oct. 2, at 9/8c on The CW.

1. Becky says:

What? Mary and Bash forever.

2. Ian says:

I’ll never be behind Frary, sorry. Really takes the special-ness out of the ship when one of Mary’s best friends is having Francis’ child. And after all that UST with Mash, it gets resolved with Kenna. So it’s just really unfair to Mary – and a lot of the fans.

And while I still will watch the show because I support Adelaide and Megan Follows, McCarthy sounds a lot like Plec, and it’s a real turn-off.

3. Annie says:

wow someone really doesn’t care about the Mash fans. They never should’ve teased us with that plot line if they were never gonna give us a reward or any type of payoff at all. That was cruel.

• Honestly? The show had indicated all along that it was sticking to the real historical canon. So the end game was always obvious to anyone with more than 3 brain cells.

• Liza says:

Yes, it was obvious, but that doesn’t make it likable. I think Francis is a boring character and I have no idea why Mary likes him considering he’s just a jerk. Not saying she’s much better of a person though. That’s the #1 reason I don’t watch. There is no real good story besides Francis and Mary’s warped “love story”. All of it is completely made up, of course to the point of why did they even make a story about Mary Queen of Scots if they didn’t plan on following her history AT ALL? There was potential for a sweet romance with Mary and Bash that they tried to push for the first half of the season, but then they dropped it, which I suppose is whatever, but still. You lose viewers that way. Perhaps the writers of the show do not have the brain cells to realize that.

• Lizo says:

Hahahaha historical canon! I’ve studied this period extensively and the most this show is is “inspired by real events”. Which is fine, I love what they are doing and I’m all for taking some creative licensing. But let’s not delude ourselves into thinking it’s actually historically accurate.

4. Liza says:

Well, I guess I shouldn’t complain because I no longer watch and never bothered to finish the first season, but getting rid of Mary and Bash was ridiculous. As well as blabbing about to the end of the earth about it. Way to go at alienating fans of the show, which is VERY evident in the decreasing amount of views. It’s doesn’t seem normal that the SERIES FINALE is in second place for SERIES LOW. Unfortunately, Laurie Mccarthy doesn’t care and has no business writing anything. She ruined that show. If she didn’t want a love triangle, she should have never started it.

• Sarah says:

i completely agree with you about the love triangle. Im so mad about it.

• Amanda says:

And yet, she’ll have a triangle with Lola, Francis and Mary. I won’t watch this show anymore. I won’t watch Mary be degraded by Francis while he lusts after Lola and respects her more because she has a baby. I won’t watch Lola be tethered to him. And I won’t watch Mary be humiliated while the good guy, Bash, got away because she tossed him aside for a cheating jerk.

5. Nan Brown says:

I’m with you not going to sit well with me if we have a Frary breakup, but from the sounds of things looks like we won’t. Thank God

6. Allie says:

I just don’t understand why they even started Mary and Bash if they never intended to give them a chance. This is so unfair. You get fans hopes up and then crush it. What was the point? They should have never put them together in the first place then.

7. Bofa says:

LOL..wow this is quite ridiculous are we still talking Mash, people move on and get over it..he was just a rebound, and quite frankly i LOVE BASH and KENNA they are meant for each other. Mary needs Francis to balance her level headed, stubborn and immature little brat!!LOL..Bash is actually boring, he wants a family to be a noble husband boooooooooooo…Francis is more likable he changes trough out the season and HE LOVES MARY DEARLY MORE THAN BASH WILL EVER LOVE HER!!!and who care if you don’t watch Reign anymore because of mash that is just plain stupid!!i your missing out!!that’s your losssssss!!!and FRARY FOREVER!!that’s just how it’s going to be GET OVER IT!!!

• Elizabeth says:

Actually it’s not my loss, it’s your loss, because losing viewers means possibly losing the future of the show. And Reign doesn’t interest me and it’s people’s right to choose what they want to waste an hour of their life on. Reign without Bash and Mary is obviously something that people don’t want to waste time on. There are other amazing shows out there with amazing ships AND great writing that isn’t rushed!

• Sarah says:

Nice comeback! absolutely right! If they loose all there Bash viewers, and they don’t have the viewers they need to keep the show running they would cancel the show.

8. S says:

Ugh lame. I love Bash, feel like Kenna is irrelevant, and I REALLY want to know what’s ahead for Greer a, Leif and their respective new relationships!

9. Ella says:

Frary are amazing. Toby and Adelaide have spectacular chemistry. I sympathize with Mash fans because I genuinely like Bash but as far as the story goes, Mary never loved him the way she loved Francis. It was all political and very inorganic. Kenna and him make a wonderful pair.

10. Annie says:

“Kenna and Bash are great together” oh please, I’ve never seen a more forced relationship in my life. NOTHING was earned with them. You guys just say that because it’s convenient to your Frary ship.

• Briggs says:

As someone who didn’t watch the first season (and not sure if I’ll watch the second, but I’m considering it), I’ll just poke in to say that if I, someone who is not technically a fan of the show, can see the chemistry between Bash and Kenna, it’s pretty obvious. I get that you don’t like Francis and Mary for some reason, but that doesn’t mean there’s no chemistry. It just means you *might* prefer Bash with Mary. I totally get this.
      Unfortunately, they seem to be honoring history insofar as the pairings are concerned, so you’re stuck with Francis and Mary. To be fair, I don’t like Francis, either (been looking up clips online), but it sounds like they’re keeping him. it’s an historical drama, so I’ll just see where this leads. They can’t keep him alive forever.

• Briggs says:

I’ve been watching a lot of clips. Admittedly, what got me interested was watching Bash and Kenna clips, so obviously something’s working, if it got me looking at the show..

11. Lizo says:

Absolutely adore the show, but I’m a tad disappointed they aren’t going to return to the Mary/Francis/Bash love triangle. It was really compelling and a great source of drama. And I’m not one that usually goes for love triangles lol

12. Lanie says:

If you stupid juveniles don’t stop complaining, NONE of us will have Reign. Mary and Francis are married. Francis will eventually die! Bash and Kenna have a great shot at happiness. Why do you all want to spoil this? Accept it as it comes or you’ll make all of us lose the best show on television. Grow up. Bash and Mary are in laws now. Allow the writers to think up what happens next and don’t mess it up with your temper tantrums. Save that for the playground!

• Ariel says:

Sorry, it’s not my duty to watch a show with bad writing. There’s better things to do and other shows I would rather try.

13. Sarah says:

I dont like the idea of no more Mash. The show is based on history, and Mary marries Francis like she did. The problem i am having is that they created a character that wasn’t real (Bash) and put him into the show to cause some friction between Mary and Francis. We all know that the season has to follow somewhat to history. Else why would they base it on “Mary Queen of Scots.” The problem is they teased people with the whole Mash love affair, and barely gave us a taste. Within 5 episodes they got them to Fall in love, and then have Mary break it off. The problem is people, like me. Who know that they cannot keep Mash going forever, feel cheated. We feel cheated that Mash barely got a go of it. Lets take a look at Vampire Diaries. Damon, Elana and Stefan trio. They built the relationship with Damon and Elana. So when she finally did jump ship and choose Damon. Everyone was like “OK.” and was fine with it. Although there are indeed fans that like Stefan and Elana together. They still watched the show knowing that maybe one day she will go back to him, and being okay with the fact, that Damon and Elana are having there time in the spotlight. . I felt completely cheated about Mash, and for them to make Kenna and Bash fall in love, hits the sore spot a little more. So if Mash isn’t going to live on at all. They better be able to grab my interest, with this storyline. Else this show is basically dead. Lets face it the show has some good points but after they killed Bash off the storyline kinda just fell apart. Apart from the scandal of Lola and Francis, the most interesting part was when King Henry died. I loved the show, and for other reason felt like by the end of the season it wasn’t as fun anymore. I am looking to see what they do in Season 2. And hope that they can bring something to the table.

14. Alisha says:

Omg. Mary and bash all the way, those two are perfect for eachother!!!