The Flash Welcomes Wentworth Miller as [Spoiler] — Plus: More Scoop on Robbie Amell and Firestorm

The Flash Captain Cold

Heads up, Flash fans: A cold front is approaching Central City this fall.

Wentworth Miller (Prison Break) has been tapped to play Leonard Snart — aka the villainous Captain Cold — on The CW’s Arrow spin-off, making his first appearance in Episode 4.

RELATED The Flash Casts Arrow‘s Cousin Robbie Amell In a Very Hot Role

The announcement was made Friday during the show’s panel at the Television Critics Association summer press tour, where the stars and executive producers were on hand to preview their “fast-paced” new drama.

Much to the delight of fanboys everywhere, The Flash is “probably the most faithful DC Comics adaptation ever,” said Geoff Johns, Chief Creative Officer of DC Entertainment, who will be breaking stories and working on the show throughout its run.

“We weren’t looking to do the same show twice,” said executive producer Andrew Kreisberg about spinning The Flash off of Arrow. “We weren’t looking for the same kind of hero that Stephen [Amell] portrays. We wanted someone more normal, who had greatness thrust upon them.” He said Grant Gustin was the first person to read for the role of Barry, and the team knew they’d found their star immediately.

Another sure casting was John Wesley Shipp — who starred in CBS’ short-lived ’90s Flash series — as Barry’s father. Executive producer Greg Berlanti had worked with Shipp on Dawson’s Creek and knew he wanted to get him on board in “one of the most important parts of the show.”

RELATED Fall TV First Impression: The Flash

As for Robbie Amell coming on board as Ronnie Raymond — one half of DC Comics character Firestorm — reporters were quick to wonder whether Firestorm’s other half, Martin Stein, will also be making an appearance. Berlanti revealed that Stein was initially in the pilot, but was eventually written out. That said, we will meet Stein as Amell’s character evolves.

Barry’s suit was also a point of contention, as it’s not quite as vibrant as in the comics. Berlanti noted that designer Colleen Atwood went through a series of different looks and that the team will be “evolving the suit over time. … It will become more vibrant and red” as the series progresses.

And despite joking about “starting a Kickstarter” to keep The Flash‘s production values consistent with its splashy pilot, Kreisberg said the team is “hoping we’re going to be able to maintain the same level of action and adventure and excitement. So far … we feel like we can.”

1. Dean says:

I wonder if he’s going to be a love interest since killer frost is part of Barry’s social circle.

• wordsmith says:

She may just hang onto whatever tech he’s using after they beat him. Or maybe she gets blasted by it and suffers lingering genetic effects or something along those lines.

2. Jared says:

The casting for The Flash just makes me want to watch it even more. Robbie and Wentworth are great choices!

3. wrstlgirl says:

OMG this is awesome!!!!

4. Mehvash says:

BEST NEWS EVER! Wentworth miller has been sorely missed by my Television. he only makes guest appearances when i watch season 1 of prison break (the best season)

5. Trish says:

I have to say I’m a little disappointed that the Flash is going to follow so closely to the comics. That’s not very encouraging to a television viewer and rarely well received. I’ve yet to meet avid television fans that are OK with a designated ending that can often leave little room for the natural progressive telling of a story. Not so sure I’m excited about the Flash as I was.

• I think this makes it even more exciting. These shows are designed for fanboys and fangirls who are long time fans of the DC universe. The pilot was incredible and followed the story to near perfection. Its all about translating the material to screen properly and if the pilot was any indication of how they will do that, the rest of the series will be phenomenal.

• You’re reading too much into that. Johns’ comment does not suggest they will slavishly follow the comic storylines. Anyway there’s 25 years worth of Barry Allen Flash before the first Crisis happened.

6. gina says:

Yayyy I love Wentworth and also Grant told Crave Online that Felicity will be in episode 4 of The Flash double yayyyyy!

• Ginger Lee says:

I have no interest in seeing Felicity pop in and out of this show. Also not looking forward to another one of Robbie’s lackluster portrayals. Dude just isn’t good at action.

• Mikael says:

I agree about Robbie. Stop trying to make him happen, CW! He may be related to Stephen, but he is not on the same level.

• Lena says:

I was excited about the casting news UNTIL I read Felicity is popping up. I wish they would leave her on Arrow. She doesn’t need to make an appearance on The Flash. How many love interests are the writers trying to give the girl?

7. ZMaX says:

Great News!!! So glad he’ll be back in our tv screens again :D

8. Azerty says:

GOD YES. Five years I am waiting Michael Scofield to break out from death and he is back in the show I am the most eager to see? Good news.

9. Bwhit says:

I was not going to watch the Flash before but now it’s on my must watch list! I have been waiting for Wentworth Miller to be back on my TV for years!!!

10. Tai says:

I didn’t think it was possible for me to be more excited about this show… Clearly I was wrong. This show and Arrow have been consistently making me happy with casting news lately. I’m so ready for this to air already.

11. sarah says:

YEAH! Wentworth Muller on my scree again!

12. neha says:

Ahh, SOO EXCITED!

13. CBWBDK1 says:

Great casting!!

14. nerdrage says:

LOVE this guy, glad to see him getting into what looks to be a pretty decent TV show, even if it’s on the CW.

15. Joey Padron says:

Good scoop about show and good casting news for a new character on show. Excited to see show in October!

16. Foshi says:

Huge success in the comic book world these days means selling approximately 100,000 copies of a specific comic. If the producers would like more than 100,000 people to watch their show so it stays on the air, they will hopefully remember that the bulk of viewship will come from non comic book fans. Sometimes sticking to canon for the sake of sticking to canon puts you out of business. Hopefully they take the Arrow approach as diverging from the comics has helped that show immensely.

17. jane mark says:

They had me at wentworth

18. Boone says:

Good casting. Wentworth was the reason behind the success of Prison Break (the first two seasons!)