Exclusive

Post Mortem: Switched at Birth Boss on Losing [Spoiler], 'Shocking' Aftermath

Switched at Birth Angelo Dies

Warning: If you have yet to watch Monday’s Switched at Birth, avert your eyes. Everyone else, read on…

Monday’s episode of Switched at Birth delivered a tearjerker when Daphne and Bay’s father Angelo (Gilles Marini) died from injuries sustained in a car accident.

With an uncharacteristically angry Daphne laying the blame on her mother Regina (who threw some harsh accusations Angelo’s way before he drove off), TVLine chatted with executive producer Lizzy Weiss to find out how the teen will handle the loss moving forward. (One word: Spiral.)

Weiss also opened up about why Angelo was the one to go, and how Marini took the news.

RELATED Switched at Birth Boss on Bay/Emmett Vs. the World, Toby’s New Love & More

TVLINE | Last time we spoke, you said it was really important to repair the relationship between Daphne and Angelo this season. Was that so you could break our hearts even more?
Switched at Birth Angelo DiesYes. [Laughs] It’s the toughest relationship and one of the most defining relationships of [Daphne's] life, and it damaged her a lot that he left her. It profoundly hurt her. We really wanted them to mend that before he was taken away. You’ll see after he passes away, she has a huge turn, and the rest of the season is in direct relation to how she feels about the fact that she had so little time with him when things were good. Really for her, that is the spine of the season, the father-daughter relationship.

TVLINE | How did you come to the decision to kill off Angelo? What was the thinking in the writers’ room?
It started off by talking about iconic moments in all of our lives in high school. I went to an all-girls high school, and we actually never had a student die because I think girls are less likely to die in drunk driving accidents. We had a teacher die and it was such a seminal moment for me. When you’re a teenager and you feel death for the first time and someone you know is taken away suddenly… Everyone started talking about that moment. We actually started talking about, do we want it to be like that experience, someone random in the school, just so it could just be about death and what it feels like for the first time when you’re a teenager. Then we started talking about, “well, would it be more meaningful and interesting and complex to have it be someone closer?”

We went down a lot of paths and then we came across Angelo, and it was definitely a scary thought. I shied away for the longest time for all the obvious reasons — mostly losing Gilles, who I love and the fans love, and it’s obviously such a permanent decision. But every time I’ve been scared of doing something — like the all ASL episode, the dance episode and now this episode — it always paid off. I feel it’s risks like that that keep the show surprising and interesting. It was a very tough decision. But everyone will see that it’s not arbitrary just to kill someone. It definitely has meaning for everyone in a very deep way.

RELATED Switched at Birth Scoop: Tank’s Surprise Arc, College Plans and More

TVLINE | How did Gilles take the news? His storyline seemed to be beefing up finally.
A champ. I was so nervous to talk to him, and he was so gracious about it. He totally got it. He was excited for the journey because I explained to him he wasn’t just going to be sitting in a bed, that we were going to be doing flash forwards and flashbacks. I honesty think his work tonight is the best on our show. The fantasy flash-forwards were so sad, and I saw it so many times in the editing room, and every time I teared up at the wedding day and the birth of Bay’s fantasy twin because those are very iconic father-daughter moments. That was very important to me as a daughter, who has experienced both of those moments with my father, to talk about how sad it is that these characters will never have those moments with one of their dads.

TVLINE | This is obviously an event that affects many members of the family. But who would you say takes it the hardest?
Daphne. For sure. There’s no question. Everything about the rest of the season is Daphne’s response to losing this surrogate dad… Daphne becomes a very different Daphne for the rest of the season. She does some things that fans may not like and behaves in ways that will be very shocking. But she’s a teenager responding to a tragedy and she acts out. It’s a risk that even calls back the switch — because she’s so angry at Regina, and it reminds of her how she felt when she found out that Regina knew all those years and never told her. There’s old baggage for her.

Switched at Birth Angelo DiesTVLINE | What about Regina? Is she going to feel the blame Daphne lays on her? Or is she going to realize Daphne is just in a lot of pain?
Both. At first, she decides to take the hits and wait it out as a mother might do. And then, as Daphne continues to punish her and make worse and worse decisions, it come to a head, which you’ll see later in the season.

TVLINE | And this was Bay’s biological father, so how is she dealing with it going forward?
Whereas for Daphne, it was all the time she lost being angry at him and wishing she could do it over again and not be as angry, for Bay, what we’re playing is the blood ties. She has a dad that she’s every close to, John. Angelo represents — just like adopted kids — all the questions you have about your biological ancestors. So we do play out, in an episode coming up, a yearning to get to know more members of her family that would tell her about parts of Angelo’s life that she can never ask about — his childhood, his adolescence, his twenties, [life] even before Regina. And so there becomes that craving to learn about him and her family. And as we move into Season 4 hopefully, those are questions we won’t stop answering. We’ll continue to play out what Angelo’s death means for Bay in other ways. As these challenges come up, it sort of haunts you.

Switched at Birth fans, what did you think of Angelo’s farewell episode? Are you looking forward to an angry Daphne? Sound off below!

1. Command says:

Heartbroken. Really.

• Brandy says:

Totally agree. I would rather they killed off John with the heart attack, or Toby, who has no storyline at the moment. I don’t really care to watch Daphne spiral out of control right now.

2. MoshiMoshi says:

:( I felt they just didn’t know what to do with the character…same with Toby, he’ll probably be next.

• Command says:

I kind of agree with that. His death is just so weird to me. I understand you can lose people when you least expect it, but here, I’m really struggling to see why. Especially since Gilles didn’t wanna go.

• Emily says:

There’s an interview on another site about how Giles was actually excited and honored to have this happen. I don’t think he ever even implied that he didn’t want to go. Sure he’ll miss the job and the character and the other actors, but he’s quite happy with where his character went.

• Coal says:

I agree with you I’m sad to say, unfortunately as a viewer the lose of Angelo didn’t really make a difference. He was hardly a presence on the show since his initial introduction.

• Amanda says:

That may be true but Angelo did take a serious part in the life of the kennishs and the Vasquezs because being bay and Daphnies dad and all. I’m not saying it was right to take him out but in the recent episodes gillies (Angelo) had been in a lot with the resturant and with moving into Regina’s house.

• Ari says:

I just assumed he wanted to move on to other projects. That or they were trying to cut the budget and Angelo was the character that was most expendable.

• chrisabeth says:

Nooooo! Toby is the best!

3. Tammy says:

I can’t believe they killed him off. He was a great addition to the show. What a loss!

4. Billye says:

I am so sad I really don’t want to watch anymore now I know why I watch super natural shows because they never really die…:(

5. JBC says:

After last weeks heartwarming scene with Daphne, I was really hoping we could watch Angelo grow more into his fatherhood role. Sad that the show thought this was a good move. I thought Gilles Marini did a good job. Flashbacks are for LOST not this show.

• Amanda says:

That is so true i 100% agree and I think they really should’ve made Angelo have a recovery cause I think everyone that had been watching it lately loved that Angelo had seriously been taking his role with Daphnie as a father.

• Susan says:

I too was looking forward to the Angelo/Daphne relationship. I also wanted to see him get back to his roots now that the money and fantasy land were gone. I HOPE Regina does NOT get with her boss… she doesn’t need to sleep get way too the top!!

• Kayla:) says:

Haha true . (About the lost thing)

6. Bette Carlton says:

I’m not sure I’ll continue to watch. You take away a persons job for a sad story line? Ridiculous.

7. As much as I hated it. These things do happen in real-life: 1. There is never enough time. 2. We never get that closure; so I applaude the producers and Giles. I’ll miss him on the show.

8. Kimber Newton says:

I will not be watching the show anymore I am so freaking angry he was my favorite character and it’s not right or fair…

9. Esaul says:

The first paragraph is misleading. It says Daphne and Angelo died.

10. Ashlee says:

this is crap. the show won’t even be the same, and if it don’t get better for some reason, I’ll no longer be watching it.

11. Alison says:

Very sad episode. However I’m looking forward to seeing how the family gets through this.

12. Regina says:

Seeing Gilles in Devious Maids last night I wondered if they were setting him up for something recurring like maybe he wouldn’t be committed to SAB anymore… Sad to see him go. I think maybe they could’ve gotten the same effect by killing off John but I guess they’d never do that. Angelo was doing so good reconnecting with Daphne, I really did not see this coming! I’m a little tired of the whole “perfect Daphne gets upset about something and acts out in some uncharacteristic way” storyline but maybe it won’t be that bad. I also always thought it was kinda weird that John and Kathryn were so connected with Daphne but Regina and Angelo never seemed that interested in spending more time with Bay… Guess Bay won’t have a chance to connect with him now. Too bad…

• Mary says:

Didn’t Bay live with just Regina and Angelo all summer? I definitely think Regina gives Bay attention. She is just more quiet about her affection than Kathryn.

I will miss Angelo, but I do agree that he and Toby don’t add much to the story lines. Also, Daphne is exhausting and demanding, it seems in line with her character that she will act out after this loss. And in typical Daphne style she will act as if she is the only one with grief to deal with.

I would have stopped watching if they killed off John or Kathryn or Regina, so I guess if it had to be done Angelo is the right choice.

• Tamara says:

I’ve noticed a lot of hate for Daphne and none for Bay in the few comments I’ve seen on SAB. I’m curious as to why, like genuinely I am interested.
        It seems to be because Daphne is so ‘perfect’ but I really liked her character until recently, and I generally can’t stand Bay. Bay just comes off as so selfish and self absorbed, she never gets told off by her parents for anything she does and if she’s not rolling her eyes and making snarky remarks and being rude, she’s crying for sympathy. I’ve also been annoyed by Daphne lately, don’t get me wrong, she’s not my favourite character at all, but not as much as Bay and at least she is a really caring, good daughter. I think the thing that always sticks in my mind is the time when John had had a heart attack and had just come home, and Bay was out with Ty (don’t remember the exact storyline but I know she was with him) and Daphne stayed home and worried obsessively about John.
        And lol I’ve also noticed that while John and Kathryn are really eager to be close to Daphne, Angelo and Regina are not that fussed, they’re still all about Daphne haha, it always makes my mum and I laugh because we both get annoyed by Bay.

• Kelly says:

Glad someone else noticed Bay’s selfishness. She was brutal in this episode. Freaking out on Daphne, calling her out for the SATs that Regina forced her to go to, telling her she isn’t Angelo’s daughter, etc… and this isn’t the first time Bay has been a selfish brat. Sure Daphne has done some questionable things herself lately, but Bay isn’t growing up at all.

• Daphne has so many more reasons to act out, rebel and, hell, even be selfish than anyone else in the switcheroo group. While she isn’t my favorite character on the show, I think that her reactions to all of this chaos have been natural and realistic.

• Bridgett says:

I agree with you about John & Kathryn really tried to get to know Daphne, but Regina and Angelo didn’t spend more time with Bay. There are a few episodes where Regina and Bay connect, but it’s different with John & Kathryn & Daphne. In a way I kinda felt like this was also Bay’s fault. She always semmed much more interested in what she was doing and what was going on with her life. I don’t recall an episode where Bay tries to attempt a relationship with Regina and Angelo. I can’t see them Killing of John at any point, he is one of the main characters of the show. For me, Killing Angelo wasn’t that much of a surprise. He didn’t have much of a reaccuring role. I would have been more surprised later on, when him and Daphne started connecting more.

13. CeMyiah says:

I actually cried I was like NO their gonna give him this miraculous recovery and it’ll make everyone stronger as a family but then when they said brain dead I was no way in hell would they kill off Angelou when his character was starting to make an impact with his relationship with Daphne and they where becoming father and daughter oh well hope no body else dies

14. Rosie says:

I hate this ending

15. S.A.B fan says:

I hope it turns out to be all a bad dream someone’s having and he’s not really dead!!!! This sucks!

16. Elara says:

As someone who lost her Dad two days before my 15th b-day, this episode physically hurt. As silly as it is, I want this to be a dream, just as I wanted my own Dad’s passing to be a dream. Aside from that, I am sad to see Gilles Marini leave the show. I think his presence was important in too many ways to lose. Now, all I can hope is that Regina is not paired with Wes, that would be adding insult to injury.

• Mary says:

I’m so sorry that it triggered pain for you. I have a major issue (unable to have children) that is like an open wound for me and random/unexpected moments can trigger acute pain for me (like the giving birth scene in tonight’s episode.) it’s weird how tv shows can do that to us. But, I guess it’s a good sign that we aren’t just numb to it and that we are able to still feel those emotions. Best wishes to you!

• Becky says:

It’s still hard for me to watch episodes about a mother or father or even a child die. I was told for 13 years that I could never have a child. And finally when I turned 30 I was blessed with my beautiful daughter. But still to this day reading a comment like yours brings tears to my eyes. Because I know how u feel.

17. christina says:

It should have been Toby’s ex-wife or someone not as close, this episode was definitely not one of the good ones. 👎

• Mollie says:

I disagree. This was one of the best episodes. I cried the whole time. After all, this is a show about life (and death)

• Connie says:

I disagree. This episode was very well thought out and was one of the best episodes. This will definitely make the rest of the season interesting to see how everyone reacts.

18. Ugh my emotions could not handle this episode…

19. Terric Cole says:

I was not thrilled about this might have to stop watching this show!!

20. Minnie says:

Dumb move taking angelo off the show. I think toby’s ex should have went. I’m done with this show now

21. April Rose says:

im so freaking pissed that they killed him!! never cried so much for a T.v show!!

22. babygate says:

It feels like it was done for the shock value without much thought to how it would affect the story going forward. Im not a big Gilles fan, but I think there was a much richer story in allowing him to evolve in his relationship with the girls. That’s the direction that the show appeared to be taking and it had substance and appeal. Now they’re going to try to tell the story without him. That’s not going to work. We’re going to see an angry Daphne and a searching Bay but ultimately neither one can be fully satisfied because Angelo is gone. It seems like they’ve exhausted all the John/Katherine/Toby angles.They had something new and wasted it. IMO.

23. Bwhit says:

This move felt like something to throw in to right a disjointed and otherwise messy season. I was starting to really enjoy Angelo’s interaction with Daphne. That to me has been the only interesting element to this season, now that it’s gone I believe the season will lose it’s way even more.

• Matt says:

I agree. This season seemed like a bunch of barely-related plots. This episode should have been the season finale. Or maybe last week’s. In any case, the relationship between Angelo and Daphne should have been allowed to grow a little more. The impact would have been more dramatic and intense.

• Melissa says:

I would have gladly taken losing Regina over Angelo. She is such an irritating character. Always unhappy, whining, self-righteous and complaining about something. Seriously has she ever seemed happy. It would have been interesting to see the girls have to rely on Angelo after losing Regina.

• Mollie says:

That would have been a great storyline too. To lose Regina and see the girls rely on Angelo to “take her place”. Guess we’ll just have to trust that the writers know what they’re doing.

24. Tracina says:

I hope they save his restaurant!! I think that would help Daphne! I really hate to see him go but I think this may make those girls stronger!

25. Useless character, good riddance.

26. Sheila says:

I was annoyed by the scene where Regina asked Kathryn how to pray. Aside from that being a stupid TV trope, are we supposed to believe that Regina wasn’t raised Catholic? With that mother? Come on!

• Ari says:

Regina is an atheist! She declared that in one of the first episodes.

• Sheila says:

Just because you’re an atheist doesn’t mean you’re stupid. No adult needs to be taught how to pray. She’s never seen a person pray? Never seen it on TV or in a movie? And I refuse to believe the character was raised without religion. I know it’s just a show, but it’s the stupidest trope!

27. Jen says:

Very sad. Disappointed. When I was watching it I kept thinking it had to be because maybe he (Gilles) wanted to leave the show or something. To now learn it was because the writers wanted it. Seems even more disappointing. Gilles will be missed. Maybe he can go back to 2 Broke Girls :-)…loved him on that too.

28. SunflowerParis says:

I was fine until the wedding flash forward, then just tears for the rest of the episode.

29. Vero says:

I gave up on this show a season ago. It was one of my favorite’s wouldn’t miss it for the world. It started to get annoying Daphne started getting annoying and Bay always being selfish all about her. To me they are the point of the entire show, so if I can’t stand either main character why watch. It seems it has not gotten better Daphne getting more annoying and Bay still is.

• justsaheyin says:

This. I too gave up on this show a season or so ago. It started out as something new and different. Dramatic without being too soapy and ott. Then, tobys marriage, Daphne and the older guy, angelos random baby and baby mama, the increasing unlikeability of both girls…. I missed a few eps and realized i had no desire to go back for more. Hearing this, I’m glad i didn’t.

30. Julie says:

Done watching show

31. ScorpionGlow says:

This was really heartbreaking to watch.

32. Sengul says:

Maybe His character wasn’t much of a presence but thats why it hurt because the time he was there it was a fight against him and when they finally got a night to hang out they took him away- now its all about regrets and its sad i cried throughout the show and kept thinking about it at night and dreaming about it- just put yourself in that situation because this does happen in real life … Sucks but good job really got the audience here more than any other episode i believe – lesson learned – try not to end a convo with a fight and enjoy the times you have with your family members , tell them you love them – because you never know

33. Cindi says:

I cannot BELIEVE they killed off Angelo! Gilles is SUCH a good actor, and SUCH a class act! BIG mistake, guys, I won’t be watching the show anymore.

34. Larry says:

yes I am very much cant wait to see next week

35. Ann says:

This was a really good episode. It made me cry. My question is, where is Regina’s mom at this time? Shouldn’t she be there to console her daughter. I hope the writers don’t forget her! I loved the early years when the grandmother was a part their lives. She didn’t have many storylines on the show so I understood why she only made cameos, but she was an important member of the family.

• Nina says:

I agree. She hasn’t been in many episodes as of late. It did seem weird when the blended families stood together she was missing from that scene. I love this show and have since the beginning but they are all over the place with their story lines and characters.

• Brandy says:

She’s going to be on a new show Jane the Virgin this fall

• Tess says:

Regina’s mom has been playing a role on Teen Wolf. I guess it keeps her busy and she’d rather be missing than killed off like Angelo:(

36. Nina says:

I have been watching this show from day 1 and love Gilles as an actor. I have noticed the past seasons he isn’t in every episode. Then they take a break. I am sure he is asked to do other shows with higher ratings with other networks. I gather he will now be filming over the summer for Devious Maids. I just hope he is in every episode at least. It just seemed awkward that Angelo was very much part of the cast as a dad but they just didn’t show him very much and they were trying to make up for that with getting him closer to his daughters the past dozen episodes. Since they tape well in advance he had to know all this since last year or so and started looking for other tv shows to appear on.

37. Mark says:

I quit watching after the first episode of this season, and now I’m even more glad I did…

38. Brandy says:

I’m not the biggest Angelo fan ,but the episode was sad.Ill kinda miss him.I don’t think Bay should’ve been the one to call Angelo’s mom-put a teen in that difficult position.If I were Daphne, I would’ve told Bay ” He has a closer relationship with me and was there when I was a baby/toddler.He my dad too” to Bays ” He’s not even your dad” comment.Shocked Hathryn told Reigina she didn’t need to apologize -yes she did.I know Regina’s feeling regret,guilt,sadness but lashing out at John that way was wrong.

39. Becky says:

I did like the episode. It gave us a glance at how each girl is effected. My one issue that keeps coming up is why is Regina not signing. All through the episode especially in the room with the doctor everyone is signing-John, Toby but never Regina. It makes her seem disconnected from Daphne.

• Nina says:

I noticed that as well. Not sure if that was intentional or not. Going forward Regina and Daphne will be not getting along.

• Brandy says:

Regina got a hand/wrist njury in late season one so she can’t sign or cut hair anymore because the actresess that plays her URL got a wrist/hand injury from learning ASL so fast

• Nina says:

Regina has been signing since then. She just didn’t sign much in this episode. I also believe Gilles had a hard time learning to sign as he speaks different languages and that is why he didn’t sign much at all. As for her injury I don’t think the signing had to do with that.

40. Jared says:

I hope Devious Maids gets Gilles for S3!

41. Christine says:

I cried my eyes out!!! although I was not surprised as Gilles showed up on the season finale of Devious Maids and it looks like he may be back next season – but I really felt that there was a lot more story to tell with Angelo and after reading what TPTB said I think they could have killed off someone else-Grandma maybe – she’s not on that much?????

42. too bad it wasn’t Daphne herself. she is 100% the reason i quit watching the show. i just check in here to see what’s happening with Bay and Emmett, who i still love and miss…

43. TooBad says:

He showed up on Devious Maids last Sunday as a new character. It was totally predictable because of this.

44. Mel says:

I thought the episode was heartbreakingly beautiful. I was shocked. I was glad to see in the story the talk/struggle between wanting to keep a person on life support versus following the person’s wishes related to end of life as well as the organ donation. I hate that he’s gone but I think the episode was fantastic in its delivery of the heartbreak when someone you love dies.

45. Rebecca says:

Question- a lot of people are saying they won’t be watching anymore after his death. Does everyone stop watching a show the minute someone dies? I don’t understand, it’s a part of TV. Well unless your watching reruns of Leave it to Beaver ;)

46. Kathleen says:

I think it would have been better if the accident could have been blamed on the East Riverside project and caused more drama in that area.

• Nina says:

I thought a last week that was the direction they were heading in. I truly believe that Gilles had other offers under his belt and this was the best way to let him exit. It would of been okay for them to recast if that was an option. The rest of the season is going to be mostly Regina and Daphne.

• Melissa says:

Ugh, the least 2 likable characters on the show. They never smile, laugh or enjoy life. They just complain and whine all the time. Kathryn and John are my favorite!

47. Joyce says:

I think they should have killed off John instead. Gilles was a very interesting character. There was so much more that could have been done with him. I don’t think I will watch the show any more.

48. Bridgett says:

This episode was a tear jerker. I lost my dad 8 years ago. I was a daddy’s girl. In a way, it didn’t surprise me they killed Angelo off and not one of the other actors. He wasn’t in a lot of the episodes. They would talk about him, but you didn’t see a lot of him. Death is a real thing. And the way Daphne is going to react can be normal. Everyone handles death differently.

• Nina says:

Not only that, there will be a rift between her and Regina. I am wondering if she will get closer to the Kennishes even more next season. The direction it looks like it is going in is that it will be all about Daphne until the end of the season.

49. Amanda says:

So when bay told Daphnie that Angelo wasn’t even her dad and that she knew nothing about him how did Daphnie feel and does she ever get bay back for that comment?

50. Amanda says:

So when they were in the hospital and bay told Daphnie that Angelo wasn’t even her dad and she knew nothing about him how did Daphnie take that and does Daphnie ever get back to bay for saying that?