Rookie Blue Recap: High on Lies

Rookie Blue Season 5 Recap

On Thursday’s Rookie Blue, Chris officially crosses the line, while Duncan proves to be the bad gift that keeps on giving to Andy.

Plus: Gail channels… Amanda Bynes?

RELATED Rookie Blue Post Mortem: Andy/Sam’s Future, Nick’s Next Step and More

Let’s recap the action:

UNDER PRESSURE | Chris’ drug dealer notes that the cop is starting to get the “my best customer look,” and when Dov and Chris go undercover at a bar to find out who’s selling guns to frat boys, Chris’ worlds start to collide. His dealer is also there, and he wants his money. To keep his cover, Chris is forced to arrest him for possession. Since he hasn’t been charged yet, Chris tries to convince him that he can get him out — if he becomes a criminal informant. The dealer threatens to make a deal with the prosecutor and name Chris. Who’s going to believe him, argues Chris. So the dealer gives up a name, but Steve proves unimpressed with the intel. In order to save both their behinds, Chris swaps the drugs with baking soda, and the dealer goes free. “Don’t think for a second I won’t come back to collect,” he warns Chris. So what’s going on with the cop that’s caused him to spiral so spectacularly? The answer may lie in an exchange with Dov. After losing his family last season, “all I’ve got is this job, and lately, I’ve been screwing that up, too,” Chris tells him.

BAD NEWS ROOKIE | Andy’s troubles with Duncan are far from over. He’s not going away quietly and has made allegations against her. Now, an investigative committee is going to subpoena all her reports, which were probably nicer than they should’ve been. She left stuff out to put a positive spin on things, hoping Duncan would get it together. In the meantime, she’s to have no contact with Duncan, and Sam gives her “the workplace equivalent of pity sex,” a missing persons case. Needless to say, Andy’s day really sucks. But at least it gives her and Sam a chance to look to the future and banter about spots to retire. (He likes it cold, she likes it hot.)

RELATED Rookie Blue Casts Being Erica‘s Erin Karpluk in Mysterious Role

Rookie Blue Season 5 RecapHOT NIGHT | During the undercover sting, Nick hits it off with a pretty, female bartender named Essie. They flirt while Traci and Steve listen in back at the station. “Guy’s got game,” notes Steve, but Traci is not impressed. “Really? You think we fall for that?” she marvels. At the end of the night, Nick tells Essie she looks even better than when she started working. OK, that might work on her, admits Traci. Too bad, because just when it looks like Nick might finally get lucky, he has to arrest his flirting partner. Turns out she’s the one trafficking illegal firearms! (Can’t Nick catch a break just once?)

RETAIL THERAPY | Gail is still reeling from the death of the mother in last week’s episode. This being Gail, she doesn’t grieve in the normal way. She keeps buying random stuff and giving it away, prompting Chloe to worry about her. “I just don’t want her shaving off all her hair and then buying one of those Amanda Bynes turquoise wigs,” she tells Oliver, who finally confronts Gail. She can’t explain why this case has affected her so much when they’ve seen worse ones. “It got you. So it is the worst for you,” he says comfortingly. Oliver may not like being chained to a desk, but he’s kind of a great captain.

Rookie Blue fans, are you surprised no one’s fully caught on yet to what’s going on with Chris? Were you disappointed Nick didn’t get to score? And Duncan’s stepfather is totally pulling all the allegation strings, yes?

1. Erin says:

Solid episode. Really not sure how I feel about Chris. I enjoyed Nick tonight. Loved Gail and Oliver. That was a touching scene. Sam and Andy are so cute. Loved their bantering and talk about the future. Love that Sam offered something up about his past.

2. Kate M. says:

Did anyone else catch the Forever Knight mini-reunion? Nigel Bennet (LaCroix) was the doctor who reported the creepy test drive.

3. Gina says:

Loved the Sam and Andy. So good to see these two being great partners. Their flirting was the best. Im not really feeling the Chris story.

4. Kathryn says:

LOVED all the flirting between Sam and Andy! I was a little surprised that Dov didn’t quite fully put together what was going on with Chris. Today can’t be the first day he’s noticed something was off with Chris. Everything about that storyline was so tense. I actually thought Chris might get caught at several points. Oliver and Gail were fantastic! I always love their scenes together, and the one with the real talk was very sweet.

5. BrittBrat says:

I love the show, but I don’t quite understand Chris’s drug problem. I hope they explain it a little more because it isn’t make much sense!

• Kim R says:

Chris had a drug problem in high school. In a previous season he told a man they had in for trial prep that was an addict that he stopped because “I couldn’t do cocaine and play football”. I’m not sure what has opened that up for him again but maybe it was the fact that he thought he had a son and it turns out he didn’t. I’m sure they will explain it. I wondered at first if he was undercover and we just don’t know yet but that is not the case.

6. Emy says:

I hate Duncan and i hope Chris find the right way!

7. Stacey Boone says:

Duncan is an ass. I didn’t like him from the start.

8. Beckers0505@yahoo.com says:

I’m with everyone else, not really feeling the Chris story. I hope they resolve it and resolve it fast. I have a question and I hope someone can answer it. What happened to Frank?! They said 15 wasn’t doing so well, and then next episode Oliver was in charge! I feel like they didn’t fully tell us.

• Jess says:

Frank was forced to turn in his badge at the end of the first episode to save Sam and Nick from being used as canon fodder to appease the media. It was the new bureaucrat (Duncan’s step-father, I can’t remember his name) who said he would stop trying to bring down his officers if Frank sacrificed himself.

9. Hannah says:

I think Travis is good actor but maybe this story is a bit much for him? I’m really not buying dark Chris. I did enjoy the rest of the episode. I think Dov is gonna have to figure things out soon. I love Sam and Andy. I’m loving their relationship this season. So natural and flowing beautifully. I’m ready for some action. I thought Gail and Oliver were sweet. Interesting that it was Chloe to notice how off things were and not Gail’s closer friends

Not a bad episode. This season has been really enjoyable. Thanks for the recap.

10. n says:

Where is Holly?

• SunflowerParis says:

Holly and Gail ended things two weeks ago.

• .......... says:

Ya, but she’ll be back. I’m reluctant to think we’ve seen the last of ‘Golly.’ I was just hoping TVLine’s insiders could give me some insight as to when/if she’ll ever be a series regular or if she’s just coming back for a few more eps this season. I know she pops back up in episode 7 this season….

11. SunflowerParis says:

Great episode, I love when we get to see more of Nick. However, I am very confused by Chris’s drug addiction… I hope there is an explanation coming in a future episode. The whole thing seems out of place in the relation to the other story lines, it just suddenly appeared. Like when did this start… no one noticed anything different about him… doesn’t he still live with Dov wouldn’t Dov question where he is at all hours… this cannot be the first time Dov has noticed something off about his best friend. I must say though, I am not enjoying watching Chris’s decent, I really enjoyed annoying season 1 Chris.

12. Katie says:

This season is really enjoyable so far. I hate that we can’t have more episodes. I’m loving the McSwarek story this season. I love Oliver as the boss. He’s so good with the coppers.

13. Beckers0505@yahoo.com says:

Thank you!!! I guess I missed that!

14. Beckers0505@yahoo.com says:

Couldn’t agree more! I disliked him from the start!

15. raisenofool says:

More Nick please!

16. Sylvia says:

Will Frank be coming back? Also get rid if Duncan and his step father no room for them at the 15th