Ratings: Extant Launches With Sub-Dome Demo, SYTYCD and Taxi Dip

Extant Premiere Ratings

CBS’ Extant launched on Wednesday with 9.6 million total viewers — the night’s largest audience — and a 1.6 rating (per finals), placing second in the demo only to lead-in Big Brother and standing as the summer’s most watched and highest-rated series debut.

The Halle Berry-fronted sci-fi series — which TVLine readers gave an average grade of “B+” — matched Under the Dome’s Season 2 premiere audience yet fell shy of its 2.1 demo rating. (NBC notes that in head-to-head competition at 9pm, an America’s Got Talent rerun tied the well-promoted Extant‘s demo delivery, and that its The Night Shift also debuted to a 1.6.)

RELATED Extant Series Premiere Recap: Molly, You in Danger, Girl

Opening CBS’ night, the aforementioned Big Brother (6.1 mil/1.9) added some viewers and a tenth in the demo week-to-week.

Elsewhere…

* Leading out of the AGT rerun, NBC’s Taxi Brooklyn (4.6 mil/0.9) shed a few eyeballs and a tenth in the demo.

RELATED So You Think You Can Dance Recap: Solo, You Can’t Get Under It

* Fox’s So You Think You Can Dance (3.7 mil/1.2) dipped 10 percent and two tenths.

* ABC’s Motive (4.2 mil/0.9) ticked up a tenth.

1. Dean says:

I’m gonna wait until a few more eps unil I can say anyrhing concrete about Extant. i’m just hoping it does at least slightly better than CBS’s last sci-fi show. *cough* Intelligence *cough*.

2. Boiler says:

Ahh the curse of the demo. Don’t know whether Extant good or bad yet but when 9+ million watch that is awfully good if it continues regardless of demo. Someday someone will wake up and realize older matters too

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Never let go of that dream, “Boiler.”

• herman1959 says:

I’m with Boiler on this, but I have to say CBS seems to “get it” more than the other networks – they have more shows with older demos and the actually give their shows a chance before cancellation. This may be as good as it gets.

• Boiler says:

I won’t Matt. Have to bring it up every once in a while:) THX

• Grey says:

The way the birth rate is going (fewer and fewer younger people) and the fact that the last of the baby-boomers are leaving the demo Nielsen and the advertisers are going to be forced into getting that message if they want the boomers’ retirement money. :D

And I’m sure if Matt’s comment was really afirmative or synical.

• Moment says:

The demo is in line with most CBS shows anyway. The Good Wife, Hawaii Five-0, Person of Interest, The Mentalist, Blue Bloods and others have all have hit below a 2 18-49 last season. CBS just skews a little older for the most part than other networks.

• Moment says:

The demo is no worse than most other CBS dramas anyway.

3. Jesse Garcia says:

Not surprised, with only a few exceptions the contestants of this years SYTYCD are abysmally uninteresting., and with the exception of only 2 routines last night, I found myself fast forwarding through most of the show.

4. Tricia says:

I’m sorry, but I trust CBS with sci-fi like I trust Fox not to cancel my favorite new show.

Maybe I’ll check it out eventually, but I’ll hold out a while.

5. Michael says:

How were ‘The Bridge’ ratings?

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Oops, I left out my “Cable ratings come in much, much later — sometimes a whole day later” boilerplate reminder.

6. Jack R says:

This thing was so over promoted it encouraged me not watch it out of spite….

• Drewgo says:

I couldn’t agree more, way over promoted… The only reason I’m glad it’s started is we won’t have to see those same preview they’ve been killing us with the last 6 months…

• Grey says:

You know, I’m kind of with you on that. I hesitated to watch it last night because the more I watched the ad the less intriguing it got. Sometimes less is more. The samething happen with me and “Hawaii Five-O.” I was all excited about it at first, especially being a fan of the orginal, but CBS just jammed the promos down our throats so much leading up to it’s premiere that I remember thinking, “I’ve already had enough of this.” CBS really needs to find the fine line that exists before “over-promotion.”

• Geo says:

This is one of the only times I’ve hated a preview and expected to see a disappointing, if not laughable show, but watched out of curiosity and actually kind of liked it. Sure, there are a few cliches, but some definite promise, too (like the “dead bird” scene). Surprised to say it, but I’m sticking around for the next episode.

7. Jane says:

Do we know yet whether Extant is only going to be a one season show? If it is “one and done” I might stick with it but the first episode didn’t really grab me. Dome might have been better if they had stuck with the original plan.

• Grey says:

It definitely would have been better if they stuck with the original plan. Whew.

But, like “Dome,” if “Extent” gets high ratings (or at least what constitutes high for the summer season) going forward CBS will renew it.

8. Ally Oop says:

It figures it did well. I didn’t even watch or record it. I didn’t like the trailer.

9. dreamlife613 says:

I enjoyed Extant, but I’m concerned that the network will flip if it isn’t getting the numbers they expected and cancel it