Rookie Blue Recap: Duncan't Hack It

Rookie Blue Season 5 Recap

On Thursday’s Rookie Blue, Duncan lets Andy down at the worst possible time, someone wants a little lovin’ — if you catch our drift — and another cop dabbles with the dark side.

RELATED Rookie Blue Post Mortem: Andy/Sam’s Future, Nick’s Next Step and More

DUNCAN FAIL RATING | On a scale of one to 10, most definitely a 10. Andy worries that she’s being too hard on her rookie, so Oliver advises her to cut him some slack. Unfortunately, with Duncan, “once the behavior is set, that’s pretty much how it’s going to be.” Those are his own words. Granted, they’re about a former criminal, but they very much apply to the newbie. So Duncan’s poor police skills and cowardice are here to stay, which is very bad news for Andy. When he wonders why they aren’t waiting for back-up before entering a building with a possible shooter, Andy replies, “That’s why we have partners.” But with a partner like Duncan, you’re better off waiting for back-up. Andy finds herself in a house with a child when a gang boss enters with a gun, looking for the kid, so she calls Duncan for assistance. But he just sits there in the car, trying to psych himself up, before turning off his radio. “Duncan, where are you?” a frantic Andy asks. “Please respond! I need you! Now!” Later, he spills some lies to her about getting turned around – you were around the block, dude! – and his radio battery dying. She knows it’s BS, and Duncan is suspended pending investigation. See ya!

RELATED Rookie Blue Casts Being Erica‘s Erin Karpluk in Mysterious Role

‘McSWAREK’ UPDATE | Traci comments that Sam has been in a good mood ever since he and Andy rekindled things. “We’re not back together. We have agreed that we’re friends,” Andy corrects her. Wait, we’re back to that? “Just friends” was definitely not the impression I was getting. “I’m trying to be smart about the fact that we didn’t work together for a reason,” she continues. While her head tells her “we’re a very bad idea,” Traci knows her friend’s gut says something else. And the flirting in the break room is proof of that. Then Sam comes through for Andy when she’s doubting herself after the Duncan incident. “You’re one of the best I’ve ever seen,” he tells her. “You had a feeling about this guy and you were right. You’ve got to trust that. I think you’re feeling the way you’re feeling because you believe in people and you know they can be better. It’s what makes you who you are.” And that’s what makes Andy lean in and kiss him.

Rookie Blue Season 5 RecapNICK: SEX THERAPIST | Chloe pesters Nick to find out why Dov hasn’t touched her since the hospital. Yes, it’s as awkward as it sounds. Nick tries to bring it up with Dov, tiptoeing around the issue, before eventually blurting out the truth. “She talked to you about that?” Dov asks, to which Nick replies, “I’m not thrilled about that either.” Dov explains that he’s worried she might be fragile after almost dying, but Nick reassures him, “She’s ready. Believe me.” Seriously, Dov, Chloe is not subtle about these things.

DOPIN’ AND CRYIN’ | Chris has a storyline! And it’s seriously messed up. The once clean cut cop meets up with a cute, but sketchy dealer for some of the “same as the last time.” So Chris has been doing drugs for how long now? Meanwhile, Gail connects with a victim — eventually. First, she just tries to brush it off, complaining about how the woman bled all over her and needs to pay for her dry-cleaning. But when the women dies, Gail finds out she has a daughter and breaks down crying.

Rookie Blue fans, are you glad Duncan finally got the boot? Are you ready for Andy and Sam to stop playing games? And are you excited for dark Chris?

1. maria says:

Best episode this season! Gail + her snark is gold. Dov and Chloe are too cute. Duncan cannot hack it as a cop. Most importantly, MCSWAREK. Heaven, thank you. I loved this in this episode. So flirty and joking about their history. Yes, thank you writers. Really solid episode.

2. Maria says:

was this a repeat? I swear I’ve seen this episode before…

• Kathryn says:

It aired already in Canada. Maybe you saw a stream online?

• Kim R says:

Yes, it has aired here (Canada) and I think we are one past this one. Our next new episode is July 9th and am not sure if they are going to try and get on the same schedule as ABC or continue as they are. Great season so far.

• bj says:

This episode has been on in Canada before.

3. Kathryn says:

This episode was really great! Best overall so far this season. Just a perfect balance between a suspenseful case and great interpersonal scenes between all the characters, both funny and heartfelt.

4. Sarah says:

In season 3, Chris realized the witness he was reviewing witness testimony with was hiding a drug problem. Chris revealed he was an addict to, and offered to go with the man to an NA meeting. Interesting that, per the timeline, it’s been months since he found out the truth about Christian, but is just starting his down-spiral now.

• Kim R says:

Thank you for the reminder. Chris had said in that episode that he couldn’t play football and do cocaine so there is a weakness there already. I had forgotten about that. I was trying to figure out if, in this episode, he was undercover and no one knows about it yet but it didn’t seem that way by the end of the ep.

5. Gina says:

I absolutely enjoyed everything about this episode. So good. Strongest one so far. Sam and Andy are on point this season. Loved all the flirty banter. I for one am thrilled they are taking their time. The writers are invested. The kiss at the end was great. Sam and Andy have come a long way.

I also loved Gail in this episode. She’s not as cold and unfeeling as people think. The end broke my heart.

Great episode! Can’t wait for more!

6. don holley says:

Soooo Glad Duncan is gone! What a wuss! Absolutely no street smarts! I hope Andy gets another shot as T.O. Nick is never gonna committ. Andy should give Chris another shot…

7. Lori says:

As crazy as it may seem, I feel for Duncan. And despite the missteps she’s made with him, I think Andy is the perfect TO for him. I doubt the guy has ever had anyone really believe in him. She did what she had to do after a terrible day, but I suspect we haven’t seen the end of Duncan & Andy. So excited to see Sam & Andy slowly but surely finding their way back to each other. The writers really know how to tease us with those two. Can’t wait until their reunion is official, because those two really make the show for me.

8. Gerry Haines says:

Loved this show, Duncan is not cop material, Sam’s law was, you are always there for your partner, no matter what. Duncan needs a day with Sam as his TO, can’t wait to find out Sam;s reaction, to Duncan leaving Andy in that much danger. Love McSarek’s start back together, they both know in their gut, it’s the two of them.

9. Hannah says:

Such a fantastic episode. Best so far. McSwarek flirting had me giddy. It was the best. I’ve missed them so much. The kiss at the end was heavenly! Love the pacing of their relationship.

10. CHH says:

Duncan is the worst character ever to appear on Rookie Blue. How he got cast is beyond my comprehension. He has been truely unlikable since his first scene. They can’t get rid of him fast enough for me. The season has gotten off to an uneven start and this episode is a beginning for hopefully bigger and better things.

• Hannah says:

I think the worst character ever has to be Marlo. Nothing will be worst than that awful woman. Duncan is a dope and doesn’t deserve a badage. But I rather watch him than Marlo.

11. I HATED DUNCAN. SO GLAD HE’S GONE. I hate that Chris is using, and I miss sexy Nick.

12. Louie Rizzo says:

The dialogue between male and female officers in this show is like watching high school drama. As a retired NYC cop, this will be the only episode I will watch.

13. funny video says:

My spouse and I stumbled over here from a different web page and thought I might check things out.
    I like what I see so now i’m following you. Look forward to looking at your web page again.

14. Mara says:

Duncan is a terrible character, I couldn’t care less about him. This season really has not sparked, maybe because of Duncan but I don’t love the show – its missing something this season.

15. Claude says:

I use to like Rookie Blue and how it showed what “New Police Officers” go through on the job. I started to get disappointed when it had to add the “sexual aspect”— first with Andy and Sam and now to go along with the “New” major “IN” thing in America—the “GAY Aspect”–which has to be shoved down our throats……it is ashame that America TV has lost all of the good solid writers that brought us great shows over the years without all of this “political correct nonsense.”