Exclusive

Once Upon a Time Casts Two Frozen Characters for Season 4

Once Upon a Time Scott Michael Foster and Elizabeth LailOnce Upon a Time‘s take on Frozen is taking shape, with the casting of two key roles for Season 4.

TVLine has learned exclusively that newcomer Elizabeth Lail will play Anna, Queen Elsa of Arendelle’s younger sister, while Greek grad Scott Michael Foster has landed the recurring role of Anna’s beau Kristoff.

RELATED Once Upon a Time Creators Preview Season 4′s Frozen Twist

Still remaining to be cast for the opening arc of the ABC drama’s Season 4 is Elsa herself.Once Upon a Time Cast Frozen Anna

Once‘s Anna is described as a fun-loving, fearless optimist who often gets herself into situations where she is in over her head, yet is able to triumph due to her resourcefulness and can-do spirit. She values her relationship with her sister Elsa above all else.

Kristoff meanwhile is a hearty, salt-of-the-earth ice cutter whose sometimes-gruff demeanor can hide his deep love for Anna and her sister Elsa. When we first meet him on Once, he is adjusting to life at the castle — including sleeping indoors for the first time in his life.

RELATED Once Upon a Time Season 4 Scoop on Evil (?) Elsa

In addition to his run as Greek‘s Cappie, Foster’s TV credits include The River, Californication and this summer’s Chasing Life and Halt and Catch Fire.

Want more scoop on Once Upon a Time, or for any other show? Email insideline@tvline.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

1. spindae2 says:

wow great choice for Kristof! A really funny guy, loved him in Greek!
    Elizabeth I don’t know, but she is a pretty pretty girl.

2. spotteddog says:

Probably going for someone more well-known for Elsa?

• ggny says:

ya gonna guess that Disney wants someone big for the role

• If they go with an unknown they’ll run into less problems with the fan reactions. Some actresses, regardless of their talent, invoke strong feelings from viewers that can affect how the character is viewed.

• Natasha says:

You’ve certainly got that right. I absolutely cannot stand Joaquin Phoenix, literally because of his character, Commodus, in Gladiator. If they don’t pick the right person for Elsa, it will definitely cause problems with viewership.

• Anyanka says:

Just like any adaptation with a huge following (i.e.: superhero comics, young adult novels), it could be a complete nobody and it would not matter, people will still watch for Elsa and the Frozen gang. The only requirement aside from looking like Elsa, is likely good acting because there is no chance in hell they are getting rid of her after 4a.

• GTS says:

Why wouldn’t they get rid of her? Frozen is a fading fad.

• Reality says:

Because it’s their meal ticket to getting better ratings and a fifth season renewal. Let’s not kid ourselves that A) OUAT hasn’t been falling in the ratings and B) Frozen has been added for anything other than its huge popularity. Frozen might be slowly “fading” from in-you-face-everywhere, but it’s still extremely popular and it’s pretty much considered one of the best Disney movies in a long time. I would love for the Frozen story to only be a half season thing, but I highly doubt it will be.

• Ally Oop says:

Fading fast? What planet are you from. Tell that to the millions of parents who are still inundated with their children singing Let It Go all over the house, in the car and in the backyard. Those parents include me and I will tell you, 6 months later, my children are still obsessed.

• Rei says:

But isn’t that the reason why it’s fading?? As a parent of a 6 year old myself, I get pretty tired of Frozen after having to watch it with my daughter no less than once a day, then there is the fact that is has no nostalgic factor to get adults into the story. Frankly, I think it’s a little soon to throw it in because we usually watch TV for a break from kids.

But you know that they could just plan it out for 6 months and then just extend it if it works with the audiences.

3. Tania says:

I can’t imagine any one more perfect for Kristoff than Scott Michael Foster. I didn’t really care about Once bringing Frozen characters for season 4, but now I’m actually looking forward to it.

4. Samuel says:

I hope they give the role of Elsa to someone at least experienced, i don’t want some pretty model with no acting skills. I like Scott Michael Foster (though he’s a brunette with blue eyes, while his character is supposed to be blonde with brown eyes lol), but I never heard of Elizabeth Lail…let’s hope for the best.

• LK says:

From a brief web search, Lail seems to have just graduated from a drama college in North Carolina this year.. and this is apparently her first role outside of school projects.

• Kate says:

He seems to be blond currently on Chasing Life and in a way that it looks like his actual hair color. I mean, it might be that color that technically is light brown, but still.

• Kris says:

You do realize that only because someone has not acted in a TV series or a film before doesn’t mean that they are bad actors?! There are many “experienced” actors out there that have far less talent in acting than some freshmen in drama school…

• emily says:

i guess you forgot the part where the actress they casted as Rapunzel was black. Appearance means nothing. They don’t have to look exactly like their character is suppose to be. And i think Scott looks pretty similiar to Kristoff anyway.

• Jillian Casselman says:

Remember that it’s the writers interpretation of the stories. I enjoyed the fact they cast a beautiful black actress to portray Rupunzel and they made Mulan gay which I thought was a very cool interpretation.

• Mmmmm…maybe I should go back and watch the Mulan episodes again, but I don’t think she was gay. She was clearly in love with Phillip, and was about to tell Aurora this when Aurora announced that she and Phillip were getting married and were having a baby. That’s when she decided to go and join Robin Hood’s gang.

• Lily says:

That scene was ambiguous, as to who Mulan was referring to.

• Wild child says:

Really? Because I though I was pretty clear that Mulan was in love with Aurora.

• JRD says:

Mulan was referring to Aurora, at least that what was confirmed the the actress Sarah Bolger. Now as for Mulan’s sexual orientation, she could possibly be bisexual and not gay (or if want to more detailed, even something like asexual bi-romantic, although I doubt the show would get into that). Regardless, all that is known for sure is that Mulan was going to tell Aurora she loves her. She may or may not have had a thing for Philip at one time and unless we get more flashbacks, we probably won’t know that.

• Elena says:

You are right Misty. I don’t know where this idea of Mulan being in love with Aurora came from. She was in love with Philip and followed him all over the realm because of it. She was going to tell him that she loved him when Aurora came up and announced she was pregnant. How anyone (and everyone it seems except you and I) misinterpreted that is beyond me.

• Amanda says:

Mulan was not gay. If you go back to when princess Aurora first woke up & Phillip was taken by the wraiths, Aurora gets Mulan to admit she was in love with Phillip. She fell in love with him while they were searching for Aurora.

• Ceylan says:

what mulan was in love with aurora?? that makes me feel so much better i hated tht she was in love with phillip, this is a way better twist, yay (^_^)

• Hair can be bleached and eyes can be changed with contacts :-P

5. Amy says:

I couldn’t love this casting any more if I tried. Cappie as Kristoff? Swoon.

6. ... says:

Hoping this isn’t a bad sign for Chasing Life, which I’ve grown to love.

• Patrick says:

The initial numbers haven’t been great. Does not bode well.

That said, both ABC and ABCFamily are Disney properties, and this would be a bit role in a huge ensemble, so the corporate overlords would probably be able to get this to work.

• Ashbash says:

He’s only listed as a recurring guest star on chasing life so I think it’s his character to be worried about and not the show itself. It’s been getting good critical reception so I expect it will get picked up like the fosters did last summer.

7. Helena says:

Guess the actor would wear a blonde wig? Dye his hair blonde? As for the actress I thought her eyes looked a bit like Kristen Bell’s at first glance, ha.

8. Jeremy B. says:

Both look fine for their respective characters… good choice.

9. Leny1 says:

I did like Kristoff in the movie, but not to keen on the actor playing him here, so who knows how they will be
    But im hoping for Killian and Kristoff parallels – both have their loves, let go of their vessels and adjusting to life and settling in their new homes ;)

10. Roger says:

TVLine is repping Kappa Tau hard today.

11. Yeahman says:

That girl is cute definitely! Let’s hope she has good acting skills cause we don’t need anymore pretty faces that can’t act.

12. cyrax86 says:

He played quite lame characters in The River & Zero Hour…

13. Tammy says:

Someone tell me when the whole Frozen part is OVER!

14. Ash says:

Wow I didn’t actually think about cappie as kristoff but now that I’m looking at him its perfect

15. Hazeleyes06 says:

I didn’t realize until I saw it, but that is the perfect casting choice for Kristoff!

16. Vee says:

YEEEEESSSSS!! Bring it on!!! I’m dying for the season to begin!!!!

17. Angelstorm says:

I’m kind of bummed they didn’t get Kristin Bell for Anna . . . I heard that was a rumor floating around !

18. Natalie Dormer would make a great Elsa.

19. Becky says:

Scott Michael Foster! Definitley one of my favorite actors, what a great choice!

20. Liame says:

A local Daytona Beach, FL Girl has auditioned for Elsa!

21. abz says:

I kind of hope they choose someone well-known and experienced for Elsa. I enjoyed Rebecca Mader on LOST and she was great on OUAT so I think casting someone with experience worked out really well for the show. On the other hand, I had no idea who Robbie Kay was before his take on Peter Pan and he was absolutely perfect in the role so maybe if they pick a relatively unknown or less experienced actress, we’d still be entertained and wowed by their performance. They did a great job with the Oz arc so I hope they keep up the good work.

22. sam braga says:

legal! gostei dos personagens escolhidos, agora quero saber cadê a elsa? :)

• Jullyana Mello says:

também quero saber… mais gostei de todos os personagens escolhidos eu amo once upon a time Ouat <3

23. Fernanda oliveira says:

Amei!!! perfect…. definitivamente todos estão perfeitos amei todos <3

24. Rian Alves Brasil says:

adorei! Gostei fizeram uma boa escolha ;)

25. Lexy says:

ITS CAPPY

26. Carolina diane says:

perfetooooooooooooos!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

27. Carolina diane says:

perfeitooooooooooooos!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

28. Beth Riesgraf for Elsa!

29. Sandra says:

fizeram uma escolha perfeita , adorei os personagens e amo OUAT

30. Melanie says:

I thought they were going to use the actors that voiced the movie characters….???

• emily says:

wow you’re a dreamer. they would never be able to make that work.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

No reputable site ever reported such a thing.

• For one, the show doesn’t pull enough ratings to make paying Idina Menzel for more than one episode profitable, and secondly, she looks nothing like her character. There would be no reason for it; the voice actors were chosen because they could sing, and so far the show isn’t a musical (though that would be kickass).

31. Tanya says:

How do either one of them resemble the characters they are playing?

32. vanessa marques says:

wow ótima opção para Kristof! anna linda também amei <3

33. Stallion says:

I wonder who they will cast for Elsa?

34. Samantha Villalobos says:

I hope try develop Elsa’s character more cause in the frozen movie she was clearly lacking in development. Also there was so little focus on her so maybe this time they will get it right

35. Such a horrible idea. Everything so far on the show has been classic Disney – all the ratings they’ve gained so far have been from the mid-twenties to late thirties crowd who grew up in the second Disney golden age. This horrible excuse for a marketing ploy doesn’t deserve to be in the same show, and it definitely won’t hold an audience. I for one am not planning on watching if it revolves around these flimsy characters.

• shannon says:

Exactly!

• jj says:

speaking as a twenty something, frozen was definitely a popular movie in my age category. This will definitely have an audience

• Lily says:

Speaking as a 20-something, I have to agree with the original comment. Adding the characters from “Frozen”, is a cheap marketing gimmick. The film is less than a year old, and has yet to withstand the test of time. Plus, it not nearly the quality of the films from the Disney Renaissance. Personally, “Frozen” is Disney’s most overrated animated film to date. It is not bad, but it is not as great as many people think. The draw of OUaT, is that it taps into nostalgia. How on earth can “Frozen”, be considered nostalgic?

• jenna says:

agreed! For a month after the movie came out I kept hearing people talk about frozen/listening to frozen songs/ humming frozen/making plans to see it again. While I agree this movie is overrated it was DEFINITELY popular with adults in my area

• renzanity says:

Did you forget about how they cast Rapunzel? Not from Disney Renaissance.

• Lily says:

“Tangled” is not part of the Disney Renaissance. Besides, OUaT’s Rapunzel was not based on the Disney film…. it was “The Grudge” meets the Brothers Grimm.

36. Valquiria Soares says:

perfeitos!!!!! gostei de todos , amei a atriz que vai fazer a Anna e o ator que vai fazer Kristoof perfeitos <3 amei <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

37. Christ says:

Also do not forget his role on Melissa and Joey as her boyfriend he was great on there too. He such a awesome actor.

38. Gail says:

I wander if Henry and Emma saw “Frozen” during their year in NY and therefore would know about the characters.

39. bills says:

idina menzela for elsa

40. shannon says:

Not really happy that they are bringing in such a new on the movie scene character, especially from Frozen!

• shannon says:

Besides what made the movie Frozen such a big hit was the music. Are they planning on turning this season into a musical?

• Addie says:

Quite a few of the main cast reportedly have good voices. Let’s be honest, Once having a musical episode would make a lot more sense than the Grey’s musical episode!

• jenna says:

isn’t the music what made MOST disney movies a hit

41. Joey Padron says:

Happy for Scott. Glad he’s getting a bunch of roles on TV lately. He’s been great on every show he have guest star in since finishing Greek.

42. I am just very happy that there is a quality, family friendly show on television. I missed the Sunday night Wild Kingdom/ Wonderful World of Disney shows we watched as a family when I was a child. This program touches the child in us as well as keeping the adult mind guessing what will come next. The cast and writers have brought these fairy tale characters to life for us and I want to thank them all.

• Anesu says:

I’m so happy l love this show so much too , its good to have a show that does not overemphasize sex so much like so many current shows .Once is a nice family show l love watching it with my mother I also like how the show has become deeper lessons that people can change for the better or the worst are done in a great way one that doesn’t overload kids minds and keeps the adults invested.

• abz says:

I get why some may consider it a “family” show, however, I personally don’t see it as kid-friendly. I think it’s a “family” show if you’re watching it with family members or friends that are teenagers or mature adults. The show has many themes, dialogue and other things happening within it that aren’t really what I’d consider child-friendly, but to each their own.

43. Ray says:

Hoping the frozen arc is very short-lived.

• Heather says:

SAME HERE!!!!

• Rachel says:

It won’t be. Can’t you just give it a chance?

• abz says:

Agreed. So much negativity here. I was so hesitant when they were planning to do Oz because Oz was everywhere and it was just annoying, but I gave OUAT’s version a shot and it’s probably one of the best arcs on the show IMO. It’s as if people think that they’re going to an exact retelling of Frozen. The show twists all the stories up and intertwines them with the main characters of the show. I’m excited to see “OUAT’s version” of Frozen.

• Lily says:

There have been hints to Oz, as far back as episodes 1.01 and 1.03. There were pictures of flying monkeys, in Henry’s book. The difference is there is no way “Frozen” would be introduced, on OUaT, if the film had not been so popular. If the show was doing “The Snow Queen”, maybe there would be as much skepticism. “Frozen” has almost nothing in common with its source material, and is only loosely inspired be the Hans Christian Andersen fairytale.

Will I stop watching OUaT, because of this? No…. I like too many of the main characters, to do that. Will I ever believe, this was not a cheap marketing ploy? No…. it does not matter how good this arc turns out, it will always be a bit gimmicky.

• abz says:

Of course they’re doing Frozen probably as a way to get more viewers to watch the show, but as long as the story arc is good and entertaining and the scripts are well-written and well thought out, that’s pretty much all I care about. If them doing Frozen ends up leading them to getting a fifth season and increased ratings, I’m happy because OUAT is one of my few favourite must-see live shows.

44. Gabriel says:

At first I didn’t like him because he doesn’t have hazel eyes as Kristoff, but then I google him and it turns out that his birthday is the same day as mine.. So.. hire that bastard!

45. EL says:

perfect choice for Kristoff! Love that I get to see Scott Michael Foster this fall!

46. Mary says:

Oh…and I also did think that Scott Michael Foster was a good pic for Kristoff! From the pictures, both actors look like good matches. lol.

47. Rich Abey says:

They look pretty good physical matches to the animated characters..lets see how they deliver on screen. The Elsa casting to look forward to now!

48. Heather says:

Kristen Bell as Elsa…..I know it….I feel it in my bones!

49. Natalie Dormer for ELSA.
    It probably wont but she would have been great.

50. Jennifer says:

Emme Rylan from General
    Hospital looks just like Elsa!