Exclusive

The Walking Dead's Laurie Holden Joins Major Crimes' Potential Spin-Off

Major Crimess Spinoff Cast Laurie HoldenLaurie Holden‘s next employer is a real SOB — as in the Special Operations Bureau tactical unit soon to be introduced on TNT’s Major Crimes.

TVLine has learned that the Walking Dead alumna has landed the female guest-starring lead in Season 3’s seventh episode, which will introduce her as Ann McGinnis, the second in command of the LAPD’s “SOB” unit.

RELATED Closure for The Closer? Major Crimes Boss Wants Kyra Sedgwick Back If Phillip Stroh Goes to Trial to Trial

A former Air Force Officer, McGinnis moved rapidly up the LAPD chain-of-command due to her intense focus on mission-oriented leadership. Impatient with bureaucrats and the City Attorney’s office, her nickname is “Annie Oakley.” While the rank-and-file love her (because she knows firsthand the dangers they face), superiors worry about her heavy reliance on the use of force.

Holden’s episode also marks the return of Jon Tenney as FBI Agent Fritz Howard, who will figure largely in the SOB’s introduction — and possibly elicit a plum new job offer, setting up what has been described as a potential spin-off of The Closer’s own spin-off.

“It is not a pilot. It is a Major Crimes episode,” series creator James Duff previously told TVLine. “We’re just doing a super-sized nine-day shooting schedule episode of Major Crimes, and it’s going to be a lot of fun.”

RELATED TNT’s Dallas Spies Nikita’s Melinda Clarke to Play a Recast [Spoiler]

In addition to her run as The Walking Dead‘s Andrea, Holden’s TV credits include The Shield and The X-Files.

1. Birdie says:

Whoo hoo! Congratulations Laurie!

2. Andrew Hass says:

I think it’s a great casting.Now James Duff that this won’t be a pilot but depending how the ratings are for that Major Crimes episode TNT could pick up SOB as a series.

3. Seaturtle15 says:

Am always happy to see Jon Tenney, but would love it if Kyra would show up now & then.

• Nene says:

Second that notion… It took me a long time to warm up to Major Crimes because Kyra (Brenda Leigh Johnson) wasn’t there it was hard to see the squad and not see her and plus the add faces… But it turns out to be a good show. ..

4. Sheldon W. says:

““It is not a pilot. It is a Major Crimes episode,” series creator James Duff previously told TVLine. “We’re just doing a super-sized nine-day shooting schedule episode of Major Crimes, and it’s going to be a lot of fun.””

Hollywood to English translation: It’s a pilot.

5. missy6343 says:

I think that a great ideal I can’t wait

• I wasn’t sure of Major Crimes, but I love it. I missed the Closer but Major Crimes has filled that hole pretty well. I watched the SOB episode and hope it is a GO> Good to see “Fritzie” back too.

6. Lynne says:

Do you have a list of the start up dates for non-big-network shows for the 2014-2015 season? e.g.. Walking Dead, Justified, Sons of Anarchy etc. We live in Canada and have a horrible time tracking down the shows let alone finding out the premiere dates. thanks

7. Dave says:

Man I hated Andrea, but good for her! Maybe now she’ll get to play a character with a brain

8. Juanita says:

Great news. I like both actors.

9. sg says:

I’m fine with a spin off, just so they don’t mess with Brenda and Fritz. They are one of my favorite TV couples. So I don’t want to even see a hint of Annie Oakley and Fritz being anything more than friends.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

#Frannie

• Claire says:

I agree. Fritz has been portrayed as a devoted and loving husband on The Closer. It would be completely out of character if there was a hint of him being more than friends with Ann McGinnis. Brenda and Fritz were the best TV couple. I just hate not seeing them together on TV anymore.

• JuliaJ. says:

I don’t want to see a hint of attraction between them. It would be completely out of character for Fritz to be anything but a devoted and loving husband. James Duff did a beautiful job of writing Brenda and Fritz and they were the best couple on TV. I miss seeing them and would love to see Brenda and Fritz on MC, or on this new show. If it actually becomes a show.

10. Love Laurie Holden! They killed her (Andrea) off too soon in The Walking Dead if you ask me.

11. Joey Padron says:

Glad she’s returning to TV since The Walking Dead!

12. Babygate says:

I’m happy for Laurie but I cannot do another Jon Tenney show. He was terrible in King and Maxwell.

13. dee123 says:

But this won’t ever work unless you NEVER see Fitz at home. It’s kind of stupid that he will be talking about a character a lot well never see.

14. Jax&Juice's Girl says:

Good for Laurie Holden…… but my god Andrea on TWD was a pain in the ass late S2 and ALL of S3 up until she died. Anyhow good for best of luck to her on this show.

15. matt says:

This is gonna be hot, anyway if they do this how are gonna leave kyra out? They are married on the show

16. drhenning says:

I hope it works… Since they don’t have children, Brenda Leigh could be out of town.. Plus it’s not clear whether Tenney will be on full time.. Loved Laurie since X-Files days…. She’ll be able to look lots better on this show!!!

17. irishpayne says:

Just watched the episode. I say run with it. All the elements for a great series are there.

18. Chriss says:

Not a big Laurie Holden fan. Her mannerisms are very offputting. Hope I can get passed it or they don’t have her on very often.

19. jerzygirl45 says:

I just caught up with the episode tonight, and it was one of the best of the series. I really hope it gets picked up.

20. Tony in KC says:

Still wish she was on TWD. Miss her there.