Covert Affairs Post Mortem: Annie's Secret, Arthur's New Job and More

Covert Affairs Season 5 Spoilers

Warning: If you have yet to watch Tuesday’s season premiere of Covert Affairs, avert your eyes now. Everyone else, read on…

Covert Affairs trades in secrets, and on Tuesday’s Season 5 premiere, Annie Walker was holding onto the biggest one of all: what she was doing when she was MIA for four months. Even Auggie couldn’t get the truth out of his ex.

On top of it all, Annie seems to have hit a hiccup. While on a pursuit, the CIA agent had to stop to calm herself during “an episode” with an injection.

Below, executive producers Matt Corman and Chris Ord talk about Annie’s “condition,” the toll of secret keeping on her relationship with Auggie, Arthur’s new gig and more.

RELATED Covert Affairs Talk a ‘Different’ Annie, Preview Her Romantic Future With Auggie — and the New Guy!

TVLINE | Is Annie’s episode stemming from the trauma of having to kill Henry?
CHRIS ORD | We will explain that down the road. It actually stems from much more than just that. Certainly, her life as a spy has exacerbated the condition. Exacerbated and also caused the condition. There’s a lot more of that story.

TVLINE | So is this something that’s a part of Annie’s backstory and her history?
MATT CORMAN | Yeah, that’s right. It’s got a physical component to it, as well.
ORD | Some of the things we’ve seen will factor into what she’s dealing with.

TVLINE | Is what happened to her over the four months going to be a big mystery arc over the whole season?
ORD | Yeah, to a certain extent, it will. And look, the agency doesn’t love it when you keep secrets from them. As much as they trade in secrets, they take it personally when their own officers harbor secrets from them. She’s pretty evasive in the first episode. And we’ll learn a lot more about where she was and what she was doing, why she felt the need to not talk about it fully.

TVLINE | She’s very evasive with Auggie at the end. Does he sense that she’s still withholding something from him? And does he continue digging at it?
ORD | Yes. I’m glad you picked up on that. That’s a big theme over at least the first third of the season is them reconciling this with one another.

RELATED Exclusive Covert Affairs Video: Meet the New Woman in Auggie’s Life!

TVLINE | This is an interesting change for them because usually when they’re working together, they’re very trusting and open with each other. When he senses that she’s withholding something, does that change their dynamic as handler and operative?
ORD | It’ll affect it, certainly. Look, the thing with secrets is if you share a secret, you might be letting someone in, but you’re also burdening them with a secret. So Annie’s reasons are not entirely selfish. In some ways, she doesn’t want to read Auggie in because she knows it puts him in a position where now he has to lie and he has to betray his agency. There’s a lot that goes into Annie’s choices, and we’ll be exploring that as their relationship develops.
CORMAN | Yeah, one other key thing we should mention is the show is all about secrets, right? This is the first time that Annie actually has had a secret that she’s kept from other people on the show. Other people — Arthur, Auggie, Joan – have had secrets, but Annie’s always been free from that, with the exception of, at the beginning, having to keep it a secret from her sister what she was doing. That was a much more low-level thing. These are dangerous secret that she’s harboring from the people that she cares about quite a bit.

TVLINE | Changing subjects to McQuaid, is his agenda with Annie just strictly romantic? Is there something more nefarious going on there?
CORMAN | Something more, but it’s not necessarily nefarious. But what it is exactly, you’ll have to tune in.

RELATED Max Martini Joins Covert Affairs

Covert Affairs Season 5 SpoilersTVLINE | In the premiere, she does not seem interested in him in that way. Are we going to start to see that change and evolve?
ORD | Yeah, in the premiere, she’s not interested in that with anyone, really. As she says to Auggie, she’s made this declaration to herself that she’s going to separate her work and her personal life. She’s going to be solely work-focused and not allow herself to be compromised by a romantic relationship, which is a serious declaration. Now, that’s a lot easier to make than it is to put into practice. A guy like McQuaid, who is so engaging and interesting, is going to challenge that.

TVLINE | Is he pursuing her on a romantic and a professional level?
ORD | There’s a lot to it.
CORMAN | The short answer is yes, and there’s a lot more than meets the eye.

TVLINE | What does Arthur’s new job working for McQuaid mean for him and for Joan, who’s going through her own job issues?
CORMAN | On one level, it’s very liberating for Arthur. He was working for the same big bureaucracy for so many years. It’s also very challenging to Joan and Arthur because, for the first four seasons of the show, they were trying to juggle the concept of working with your spouse, and now they are on the opposite side of the fence. There’s going to be, certainly, issues where they would come down with different opinions about things.

TVLINE | Let’s talk about Calder and this mysterious woman that he’s sleeping with. Is he just in for a world of trouble? And who is this person?
CORMAN | Well, first of all, we love Hill Harper, and last year, we really didn’t get to know that much about [Calder] at all. This year, we’re starting to see a little bit about what makes him tick, personally, and on the romantic side. This character, Sydney, played by Nazneen Contractor, is in several episodes, and it’s safe to say there’s more than meets the eye, as far as what you [saw in the] first episode. There’s a very rich backstory, and a very mighty and complex one that Calder will find himself in.

1. Sara says:

Completely OT (but I frakking promise it’s no spam), I was able to zoom in or out while reading on my ipad, but I can’t do it anymore with the new design. It still works on the other websites. What can I change in my settings?

2. Alichat says:

This episode bored me to tears. Predictable, bland……boring.

3. Priscillia says:

People thought sincerely that breaking again Annie and Auggie the show would be better and although they are wrong

• Julie says:

Totally disagree. I hated when they we’re together. One of the reasons last season was so good was because there wasn’t a focus on their relationship. She has the best chemistry with Eyal but I’m interested to see her with this new guy too.

• priscilla says:

I like annie with eyal. hey you have my name.

4. Kelly Ludwig says:

This is my favorite summer show & I’ve been looking forward to it’s return. I started flashing back to Jai when everyone referred to the premiere as “explosive”. Did anyone else think the timing for Arthur to call back McQuaid was suspicious? (ie right after he saw the news of the bombing)

• I’m thinking Arthur found the bombing a little suspicious. I’m thinking he’s going to work for Mc Quaid to see what he can dig up. The leak in the CIA isn’t plugged yet and a disgruntled former CIA chief is the perfect cover to go and investigate one of the defense contractors.

• Kelly Ludwig says:

Pretty much exactly my point! I can’t see Arthur sitting back & waiting when “his” people were attacked.

5. abz says:

Premiere was okay. Waiting to see how things develop. The least interesting thing on the show right now to me is Annie’s love life. Unless Eyal comes back, I kind of don’t care for it at the moment. I found this illness storyline interesting and eager to see how it plays out.
    Side note: I kind of wish that Piper kept the brunette hair from last season. I thought that she looked really great with it, not that she still doesn’t look amazing now.

6. MariaD says:

I did not perceive her to have a “panic” attack. It looked more like respiratory distress, sort of like an asthma attack or something of that nature. Medication could be a bronchodilator, an epi pen, or any number of medications. I am wondering if her condition is related to the fact that she got shot in the chest two seasons ago. Is her disappearance related to the fact that she has been in treatment/ was hospitalized with complications? Does she have a cardiac issue? Or did she pick up some infection in her travels?

• Do says:

I thought it was an epi-pen and that she has a heart-respiratory condition, related to or exacerbated by the shot to her chest. I like Auggie but not them as a couple. I loved Simon and like eyal. Concentrate on espionage not romance!

7. Meg says:

I really enjoyed last season and Annie going dark, hoping this season can live up to that. Annie is crazy cold in this season opening episode. I want the show to explore why that is. Lots of stuff went down the past two years she must be all kinds of messed up in the head/heart and has put that guard up for good reason. I sort of wonder from the hints above if it is more a psychological “hiccup” she is dealing with. Cannot wait to find out. PS Auggie deserves the love, he really is quite the package.

8. Lizzie says:

I do love Annie having a secret but I’m kind of annoyed that they didn’t tell the audience. I want to know I hate waiting. Lol
    But this episode was a little boring. I don’t really care about colder & I’m not really interested in another Annie love interest when she ends up with Augie any ways. (I have no problem with that)Doesn’t he look like the terrorist guy from two season ago. Please give me something good to hold on to this show

9. GeoDiva says:

More Eyal please!

10. i thought it was a good episode though i won’t be happy until/unless they bring annie and auggie back together, and then allow their relationship simply to BE there, in the background, as they work together on spy things [as they apparently are anyway]. there’s such a complex, textured dynamic between those 2–tender, erotic, warm, intellectual–as the old cliche would have it, ‘they were made for each other.’

11. Di says:

The chemistry between Eyal & Annie is among the best I have ever seen in TV or films – so natural & mature it’s almost perfect. Auggie & Annie are better operating together strictly as co-workers – as a couple, they appear somewhat awkward & less realistic.

12. acurat says:

I saw this first episode – what agent – I don’t care what agency – would have a condition like this one which paralyzes you – and still be in the field? It would seem to be that would be extremely dangerous. For example, when someone is trying to run you over and you have to shoot them to save your own life and you have an “event.” Overall not a bad episode, but I have to really question the storywriters on that one.

13. Kim says:

Please let Annie and auggie back together,they where perfect together and a lot of my friends agree,it keeps us interested in the show and let the secret come out about Annie, can’t stand her having secrets.

14. Doug Aguillard says:

The writers have turned Annie into a slut. How many affairs has she had since season 1? Come one guys, she’s not James Bond, she’s sweet and honest Annie.

15. marybadtke says:

glad to see hes back hope things work better this time.

16. R I Hall says:

This McQuaid guy seems to know too much. Is he another Henry-like person? I do not trust him even a wee bit.