Exclusive

Revenge Scoop: Surprise! [Spoiler] Is Officially a Series Regular in Season 4

DW

Revenge is adding a familiar face to its full-time cast, and, if you have yet to cue up the Season 3 finale on your DVR, you should head to another corner of TVLine now.

RELATED | Revenge Boss Reveals Why [Spoiler] Had to Die

Sources confirm to TVLine exclusively that James Tupper — whose presumed-dead character, David Clarke, turned up alive, well and wielding a knife in last month’s closer — will return in Season 4 as a full-fledged series regular.

Revenge Season 4 James TupperTupper has recurred throughout Revenge‘s three-year run, but his appearances have been confined to flashbacks (on account of his alter ego being dead and all). David’s surprising resurrection in the final moments of Season 3 — and his now-confirmed return in Season 4 — sets the stage for killer reunions with daughter Emily and ex-love Victoria.

RELATED | ABC Boss Shares Plans to Reset Revenge in Season 4

“Victoria and Emily are both going to have to reckon with what they’ve done in his name over the last 20 years, and then they’ll have to reckon with, “Well, who is this man?” show runner Sunil Nayar recently teased to TVLine. “It’s fun because, for the first time, the audience knows something that none of the people on the show do. The audience knows what he did to Conrad, they know what a raw act of vengeance it was. So the David that’s eventually going to come back to town isn’t going to be the David that the people in the Hamptons know, but the viewers have seen him and know what he’s capable of. That’s a fun dynamic we’ve never gotten to play with before.”

Tupper recently completed an arc on ABC’s rookie drama Resurrection.

1. Richard says:

I cannot wait for the new season to start.

2. alistaircrane says:

Hopefully they address the fact that Emily’s revenge on Conrad came out of the blue and therefore there was no impact or payoff.

• iMember says:

Ummm… What? Emily’s revenge on Conrad made absolute sense. He was after all the cause of everything that happened to her father.

• alistaircrane says:

That’s not what I said. There should have been more of a build-up to her taking down Conrad. Instead, it all happened in one episode. Too fast. There is no payoff when an important moment like this comes out of the place.

• alistaircrane says:

*BLUE, not place! Silly autocorrect

• Tracy says:

Conrad may have had the power to bring David down BUT….had it not been for Victoria, David wouldn’t been a scapegoat for all the Grayson’s (Conrad and Victoria) misdeed they decided to partake in. As a child, Emily remembers Victoria for the most part, that’s why her vengeance was more-so towards Victoria.

• Nosey says:

Wow, have to say I never thought about that, I kept saying why isn’t her focus more on Conrad, but forgot her memory was w/ Victoria. But I still wonder why Victoria did not recognize her and I still agree the fall of Conrad was too quick.

• mary says:

it might be just a dream

• BigRedNoodLe says:

is season 1 to 3 up to the finale episode not a build-up?

• Michael says:

Her revenge on Conrad came out of the blue? Have we been watching the same show?

• alistaircrane says:

Yes it did. There was no inkling that Emily was going to take down Conrad when she did. We should have seen her scheme unfold over time—instead, it all happened way too fast, within one episode.

• Brittany says:

Noooo actually she has been plotting for a while! Yes a lot had been geared towards Victoria but I think that the bigger picture is what’s to come. Taking Conrad down was not an “out of the blue,” act and some things don’t need a drawn out few episodes. She nipped it in the butt and now it opens up for much more. Just sayin…

• Tina says:

Ummm, the whole show is about her taking down anyone and everyone who was involved in her fathers framing and subsequent “death”. I believe Conrad has been on that list the whole time. It wasn’t out of nowhere. His number just came up.

• Nosey says:

The problem was, she was supposed to take care of everyone else, then get the Graysons, Maybe it was implied most died in the plane crash in the Season 1 finale. I just wished the plots did not seem so rushed. I think it is good not to drag a plot but the fall of Conrad although good still rushed!!!!

• Carmen says:

EXATLY!!! Have not watched for awhile, but Conrad is just as guilty as Victoria…from what I just read, it looks as though David took the revenge of Conrad, am I reading correctly?

• Temperance says:

As usual, you clearly never watched the show that you’re commenting on.

3. Jennifer says:

Given how Emily was “tricked,” do you think she’ll focus her Revenge on her dad?

• Marilyn says:

Without a doubt. Her whole world has been dedicated to seeking retribution for the father she adored, and to find out he wasn’t who she thought he was-Yikes. Not to mention the grief she has endured all because of her quest to clear his name. I think this is going to be the biggest Revenge of all.

• Michael says:

No…not a chance. I’m wondering, however, if Nolan knew that daddy Clarke was still alive. If so, he’s in big trouble.

• Hbomb says:

I think he’s going to be a bad guy… and no, I’m guessing Nolan had no idea.

• Moody Candy says:

so think she go take a bit of revenge on the dad especially cause she lost Aiden while revenging her dads death

• if i may how did dave cause aiden death

• klown says:

If not for her avenging Davids “death” Aiden wouldn’t have been involved with helping her get revenge, therefore wouldn’t have been in the position to die. At the same time though, if not for David “dying”, she woudln’t have known Aiden in the first place.

4. brycealexander says:

So excited. Revenge is getting new life (no pun intended) with this development. It’s going to really be great to see how Emily’s quest changes and where David will align himself. I’m hoping Emily doesn’t reveal herself to David right away, because it could risk her chances of giving Victoria what she deserves. Oh, and finally Charlotte will get a good plotline!!!

• CDPoh says:

looking forward to seeing James Tupper. .always enjoyed his acting.

• Paul says:

I’m pretty sure Emily doesn’t need to reveal herself to David. Unlike her mother, David I’m sure has been keeping tabs on his daughter this whole time. Don’t you think it wasn’t coincidence that when the world finally found out about Conrad’s lies that he just shows up and stabs Conrad while he is at his weakest? David knows Emily is Amanda, no doubt about it. He’s been watching and waiting for when the time was right, and the time is right now.

5. I can’t believe that David Clarke is alive and well. I can’t wait to learn how he escape the jaws of death and where he was hiding all these time.

6. Coal says:

I guess I will binge watch Season 4 in May 2015. P.S. I still don’t understand why the Pascal’s will have a story arc (I know its not in the article ).

7. Andrew Hass says:

I’m not surprise by this news of James Tupper becoming a regular on Revenge.As for David Clarke his return from the dead might affect the whole show.It should be interesting to see how Emily reacts because she might realize that all the risks she took to get revenge was for nothing and she could have been happy instead.Plus maybe Emily and Veronica will be forced to team up to stop him.Plus David may think Amanda is really dead and not know Emily is really Amanda.So he may go after Charlotte and because of how she ended the previous season she might be in a vulnerable state.

8. Ally Oop says:

I just wonder why, if David was alive, didn’t just try to rescue Emily when she was younger. She’s gonna be one angry woman when she finds out.

9. Miranda says:

Oh this show is an even bigger mess now.

10. Command says:

Is Conrad really dead? 😢

11. maxisatroll123 says:

I for one am excited to hear that he’s been upped as a regular hopefully they do something interesting with David Clarke

12. maxisatroll123 says:

love this decision now all revenge has to do is get rid.of margaux and her brother and bring back Stevie and conrad and and stop stop adding new characters and revenge should have an interesting season

13. Christian says:

I can’t believe I once thought this show was deserving of some Emmy love way back when. Thank goodness for the luminous Madeline Stowe or this show would be no better than schlock like Days of Our Lives or Young and the Restless.

14. Deion says:

I’m sure Gordon (The white haired man) helped David fake his death after he fell in love with Kara, a secret Gordon took to his grave. A lot of people think that Emily took up this revenge because her father was dead. It was because he was wrongly accused and convicted. She didn’t realize that Conrad had him “killed” until almost the end of the first season. I can’t see the downside of him being alive unless he is very cross with his daughter for dredging this up.

15. Mark says:

All that’s missing is having him wear a leather jacket with his swim trunks.

16. queerbec says:

Who knows where David Clarke was for the past 20 years? He could have been in a secret US prison for terrorists after Conrad tried to have him killed and released only when Conrad confessed to his crimes on national TV. Or maybe Conrad had him imprisoned secretly for all those years, or is this is really a soap opera, he could have been in a coma after the stabbing. I can’t imagine he wouldn’t have tried to contact Nolan or his daughter if he were able to, or tried earlier to do eliminate Conrad or Victoria.

17. Terry says:

I love James Tupper no matter what he does.

18. Lore says:

I dont care so much about David, i just want Conrad alive

19. Drew says:

So the entire plot of the series has been rendered pointless. Why should I keep watching again?

20. Niteray says:

If David Clarke is alive, they need to change the title of this show to Stalking and Harassment because that’s what Emily has been doing for 3 seasons to a family that did not kill her father. It makes Emily the bad guy for the last 3 years

• Jennifer says:

Not quite. She wasn’t doing ONLY because they killed him. Some of the issues stemmed from the Greysons setting David Clark up as the patsy. I have a feeling that had Ems known that her father was alive, nothing would have change, save for the fact that they would have gone after the Greysons together. I agree with one of the posters above … DC knew all along what Ems was doing, and is only revealing himself now that he has been cleared.

i’m curious … How is Nolan going to handle his return????

• Drew says:

So she was seeking revenge for a deadbeat who cared so much about his little girl that he never bothered to tell her that he wasn’t dead, as he watched her destroy her entire life (not to mention risk her life) and lose the people that she loved the most, all because of a wacky misunderstanding.
        Emily wasted her life. This takes away her awesomeness and makes her kinda pathetic.

• Jennifer says:

I have to wait to see about the “deadbeat” part. He could have stayed away until his name was cleared to protect Amanda/Ems. what can I say, I’m an optimist.

• Drew says:

Given her living situation, pretty much selling her body and putting her life on the line in his name, I don’t think that there is a good enough excuse for this plotline. The show has been slipping for a long while, but this decision was simply foolish on the part of the writers. They just blew up the foundation of the entire series for a cheap twist that has become so common on television that it actually would have been more shocking to leave her father dead at this point.

• Moody Candy says:

I think they might feel betrayed by david clark, emily go be angry feel neglected to why her dad left her all this time if he was alive

21. azu says:

I am so happy for this!!! I hope he doesn’t turn out to be a bad guy

22. dee123 says:

If Conrad isn’t dead i’d like him to be the lesser of two evils and team up with Emily.

23. Emgee says:

Adding further justification to why I’ve now quit this show.

24. Marie says:

Can’t wait for season 4 to begin

25. Moody Candy says:

I’m beyond excited omg cannot wait for season 4 and all whats in store to come bring it on #REVENGE

26. Kevin says:

I’ll continue to watch but this show in no way resembles the very sharp , original program it started out being. I defy anyone to look at season 1 then see what we have now. It’s common, ordinary, hacked soap storylines we’ve seen so many times before. I can’t imagine an actress like Madeline Stowe is very happy . Then again she ‘a under contract so she has no choice. A sad fall for what began so strong. It should have stayed a limited run series.

The show has lost sight of its original direction is badly it’s jumped a whole ocean full of sharks.

• May says:

I agree 100%! The show was about Emily getting revenge for her falsely accused father & his death. It should have stopped w s3, hell if they wanted a s4, they shouldn’t have made Emily accomplish her ultimate goal, not pull a complete 180 with a very unoriginal plot turn (the dead guy comes back to life…. miraculously!!1!! !). I am happy that i get to see more of Emily Van Camp’s acting, but it seems like one of those ‘what’s the point’ type of shows now. It’s as if the new showrunner has not even watched the whole series… I’m sick to my stomach, because this show has been kicked and shat on.
      As someone who has followed this show since the pilot was aired, I cannot wait to see what a failure this show will become in s4!

27. Rita says:

wooo hoooo the plot thickens.

28. Oooh this is gunna change everything for the show :) Can’t wait.

29. ashley says:

I can’t wait til it comes back on! This is the best show ever! But all in all I wish they would bring back decklyn so Charlotte could reconcile with him about her pregnancy. Still a Lil upset about ayden being killed off an especially by Victoria’s hand. But just can’t wait!!!! 😁😁😁😁

30. Howard Smith says:

I like this show but it has been going on way to long. The story is beginning not to make sense. Hell, I could have took them all out in the first season. I hope this is the last season and they tie up all the loose ends. Also, don’t bring anybody back from the dead. That has been done to death. It shows a lack of creativity.

• May says:

I agree. Revenge has lost its originality now! 3 seasons was perfect. Emily did what she needed to do! Now they’re bringing back a dead guy (David Clarke), which totally has NEVER been done BEFORE !!!1 !!!
      Too many questions that they must answer now. One of them being, why did the white haired man try to kill emily in s2 by knife when she was onto him about his role in the “murder” of d.c. if he was (now) obviously in on staging his fake death?? It’s as if the new show runners havent watched the other seasons and were not able to make a calculated decision for the direction of the show.
      And i dont know if it is a rumor or not, but some article was saying how Victoria is going to be the new narrator of s4, meaning the plot will focus mostly on her, not Emily. This does NOT make sense for the plot. (but i love Madeleine Stowe so much so i don’t mind seeing her lovely acting)

31. Eve says:

Of course he wouldn’t be the same person. Evil changes a person.

32. Bobbie Cohen says:

I think you just jumped the shark.

33. elaine wainwright says:

Omg I can’t wait ..monday nights are not tge same

34. Pete Armetta says:

why do they keep calling her Emily, when we all know she is Amanda :P ???

35. Amanda says:

Maybe Emily knew her father was alive all along another twist to the story … And now Aidan is gone maybe her and jake can get it together :)

36. Lid hofer says:

I have to say I love this show .one of the best seasons I have ever watched ..the plot thickens will David Clark get Victoria out of the notthouse???

37. dana m says:

Love it!

38. dana m says:

I’m actually hoping David teams up with Nemily and royally screws the crap out of Victoria and Conrad (presuming he’s not actually dead). I do love what Em did to Vic at the end. I’ve watched that over and over!

39. Jennifer says:

I’m so excited! I pretty sure that the Impressive David Clark has returned by taking Emily ‘ s plan into account. He told her he wanted her to forgive…. how on earth would she be able to do that. I’m sure he knew that and was counting on it. He is resurfacing now, because the time is right.

Love this show!!

40. Maria says:

I think Emily (and also Nolan) is going to think about everything they have done to avenge David’s death and they are going to wonder (like us) why in the hell did they do all this for? And Emily and Nolan do not like to be played the fool, so I am thinking they will probably want answers and a little revenge of their own against David.

41. Sonny Tran says:

Sorry. No fun for me. This is the worst thing that happened to this BS show.

42. Isaac says:

Omg I’m obsessed with this show I can’t wait for season 4 if there really is one coming up. Lol

43. lisa says:

I love this show, im in australia so our episode’s are up to when victoria is in physic hospital and david stabs conrad, full of drama and loving it

44. joyce says:

I absolutely love this show!!! I cant understand why this show hasnt been nominated for any emmys!!!!

45. rose says:

He might have gotten his Revenge on Conrad, but if he was MY father I would be mad as HELL leaving me in that institution and leaving me in that jail. He abandoned her.

46. Ed says:

So they better have a real good explanation on why he abandoned his daughter.

47. Jen says:

I all along thought he really was a live not much of shocker. Can’t wait for next season, hopes it’s better then season two and three. Season one was the best.

48. Chibuzor Nze says:

I think Victoria knew David was alive after the letters, she’ll definitely find a way into David’s life. I also think Conrad isn’t really dead and Nolan is in a big mess.

49. Pamela says:

As I see it, the “issue” is not Emily’s reaction to her father having killed Conrad (that makes sense), but more so, how will she react to the fact that he’s been alive all these years and never reached out to her. She thought him dead and he was dormant all this time? Strange!

50. Am so excited for season four!!! Really anxious for the real Amanda to come out! Here’s hoping her dad will bring her back to reality!!!!

• Jenni Martin says:

I think David was kept safely within the prison walls all this time 9after having befriended the prison guard) and I also believe the prison guard knew what Conrad’s fate would be. He got paid and let Conrad free after having given him a bad time in prison.
      The ONLY person who I’m missing is Aiden!