Ratings: 24 Returns Strong, DWTS, Castle and CBS Sitcoms Fall, Tomorrow People Finale Flat

Ratings 24 Live Another Day PremiereJack Bauer, in 24: Live Another Day, returned to 8.1 million total viewers and a 2.6 demo rating on Monday night (per finals), on par with the Fox series’ Season 8 finale (8.4 mil/2.8) and marking an improvement on the 5.2 mil/1.5 that Bones/The Following most recently averaged.

That said, the tally was down sharply from 24‘s previous season opener (11.4 mil/3.8). TVLine readers gave the premiere an average grade of “A-.”

RELATED | 24: Live Another Day Recap: Union Jack’d!

Facing off against Jack, ABC and CBS took an “office of special activities”-style beating.

Dancing With the Stars drew 13.1 mil and a 1.9, dropping 18 and 27 percent week-to-week. In turn, Castle‘s penultimate Season 6 episode (9 mil/1.6) — which TVLine readers gave a high-“A” grade to — fell 14 and 20 percent, tying its all-time low demo.

RELATED | Read Our Recaps for Castle and Dancing With the Stars

Over on CBS, the 2 Broke Girls finale (6.5 mil/2.0) was down 17 and 13 percent, Friends With Better Lives (5 mil/1.6) dropped 18 and 16 percent and Mike & Molly (6.5 mil/1.7) fell 14 and 23 percent.

NBC fared better, as both The Voice (10.8 mil/3.0) and The Blacklist (10.6 mil/2.7) only dropped a few eyeballs while steady in the demo.

RELATED | The Voice Top 8 Performance Recap: This Shtick Is Bananas — B-A-N-A-N-A-S!

Similarly, The CW’s Star-Crossed (930K/0.3) and The Tomorrow People finale (1 mil/0.4) — which TVLine readers gave an average grade of “B-“ — held steady.

1. Luli says:

Nooooo!! Castle was so good last night, probably one of the best episodes the show has done! It wraped up Beckett’s seasons long arc, and just in time for her big day. I hope it comes back strong next week.

2. wrstlgirl says:

TTP finale had a couple of cringe-worthy moments in terms of the acting but all in all it was pretty good. It could serve as an end IMO. It certainly didn’t have a huge cliffhanger to gripe about :-) SC continues to bore me to death though. 24 was outstanding.

• Ben says:

TTP is one of those shows that, for the first half of the season, I felt like ‘its ok if this is one season. I’m enjoying it but I’m not gonna be really disappointed if its cancelled’. But now I am disappointed. I really want it to be renewed!

3. Eric7740 says:

No disrespect to the CBS Monday comedies, but with numbers like that, CBS better renew The Crazy Ones!!!

• Television Scout says:

Something has to give for CBS comedies on Monday nights. We’ll know for sure by this time next week as CBS leaks it’s schedule (and we’ll know which pilots at CBS are a go) just prior to their Upfront in NY next Wednesday/May 14th.

They’ve/CBS already renewed most of their comedies, so it may be more of a ‘rearranging of the chairs on the Titanic) rather than wholesale ground shaking change. But for CBS to go into next fall with this current comedy lineup of 2Broke-FWBL-M&M-Mom is insane. It is not working – those numbers (even w/DVR) are low and headed in the wrong direction. They need to shake this up – w/or wo CO.

• Name This Tune says:

I am LMFAO with those numbers. This is what happens when you loose a strong lead in like HIMYM. Ain’t nobody going out of their way to catch 2 Broke Girls and whatever follows it.

• eddie says:

the big bang theory is likely starting out on mondays in the fall, so that might help. i would say put big bang at 8 and then a new comedy at 8:30 that can inherit the 8 o’clock spot in november and then put two and a half men back on mondays at 9:00 and leave it there for a while. also millers and mike and molly should be on fridays.

4. Stephanie says:

So I guess there’s no hope for Tomorrow People Season 2? Just saved myself an hour every week!

• Katherine215 says:

Every time I think I’ve saved myself an hour by dropping a show or something getting canceled, I pick up another one, haha. I’m never getting a life.

• N tTVf says:

I feel the same way – there is always a program that comes out of nowhere (or one that seems to grow on you over time – HIMYM) to fill the void. The only question (particularly around this time during pilot season/Upfront) – is it still a zero sum gain? Are there enough good/new shows coming on board to replace those leaving?

I watched a lot of HIMYM and Mad Men these past few years – those were my #1/#2 for years. Now, both are leaving the air/cable. Before that, there was 30 Rock, Office, Lost, Modern Family, Cougar Town, Desperate HW and Greys (in the early seasons), TBBT. Shows that I could watch live (appointment TV) that were not 10pm shows – DVR required.

I do sense fewer and fewer ‘appointment’ television these days. I am monitoring (as we all are) the pilots getting green-lights this week and next week at Upfront. Somewhere in that list, there needs to be three or four breakouts, sure-things. Otherwise, the trend on the pilots does not look good. I’m hoping for another 2004-2005/2005-2006 type seasons coming up here soon. Game changer type seasons for broadcast television.

• Ben says:

I don’t feel its zero sum – there is more and more great TV all the time, I can’t find time to watch it all.

• Maryann says:

With the 24 season premiere draining the ratings out of absolutely all the competition, I think The Tomorrow People did fantastically well just staying flat. (Dancing With the Stars dropped 30%, the CBS sitcoms dropped between 15% and 20% and even The Voice had a drop.)

• wrstlgirl says:

I was thinking the same thing. I had a feeling that the two hour premiere of 24 would cause chaos, lol.

5. Christina says:

I can’t believe Castle’s ratings. One of the best episodes of the entire series, maybe even the best. This show deserves better, especially with the work that the cast put in last night.

• drhenning says:

Real Castle fans are smart enough to know how to watch it online or On Demand.. It was a terrific episode…. No light Castle last night and no Mom or daughter…

6. Ava says:

The Blacklist was awesome as always. Great to have 24 back.

7. sarah says:

Yeah Blacklist!

8. tv2day says:

Ratings need to be revamped. Its antiquated. 24 is my favorite show of all time and I have yet to see the new episode. Its sitting on my dvr. Will get to it when I get a chance. Many people r in that boat. Also the same for the other shows. Others watch online or on their phones.

• Sharon says:

Except, if you’re not watching it live (or within a certain time period on DVR) then advertisers don’t care about you, ergo, the networks don’t care about you. A show that ‘you’ll get to when you get a chance’ is meaningless, whether it’s your all-time favorite show or not. TV is a business. Period.

• johnhelvete says:

The networks do have to find a way to monetize viewers who don’t watch a show live or dvr plus 3 days. If after 4 days a viewer does not matter, than why not sell the streaming rights to Netflix or Amazon for any 13 episode a season show and allow it to be shown 4 days after the episode airs. Which is exactly what CBS did with Under The Dome.

• Name This Tune says:

The only meaningful statistic the advertisers care about is did you sit through my commercial. If you didn’t, then I am getting nothing for my money. DVR means you can zip through it without even seeing it.
          On Demand services are better at forcing you to at least forcing you to play the commercial even if you don’t watch.
          It is the dawn of a new day in advertising.

• David says:

People who keep saying the ratings system is antiquated have no understanding of what it is supposed to do and why.

• Katherine215 says:

My main problem is that the number of Nielsen households is so darn small. It’s like 25,000 houses or something. And there’s how many millions of households in the US? How can that be a decent sample size?

• Simon Jester says:

The polling numbers for the last presidential election were almost uniformly accurate, and they have a smaller sample size than the Nielsens. Why? Because statistical sampling works.

• eye says:

The luxuries that you mentioned help people avoid watching ads. Those ads are what pay for the shows to air.

• all time, you say says:

I’m calling BS… “24 is my favorite show of all time…” followed by “I have yet to see the new episode…” finally getting to, “Will get to it when I get a chance.”

favorite show OF ALL TIME and you can’t find time to watch it? don’t think so.

9. Riana says:

Star-Crossed added viewers. It might get a second season, especially if Hart of Dixie is cancelled. Save the syndication comments.

• Lauren says:

Keep dreaming. Star-crossed is dead.

• Riana says:

I don’t suppose you have this week’s winning lottery numbers. Beauty and the Beast and the Carrie Diaries are dead. Every other CW show has a chance.

• luvmypup says:

I’ll keep dreaming and hoping that Star Crossed continues. The first few episodes were a little slow but it quickly got so good. It’s so fun to watch and I love the cast and the characters. Last night’s episode was great and the finale looks like it will be awesome. I’m with you Riana. For a Monday night with so much intense competition, Star Crossed has remained amazingly steady. I wish the CW would order some summer programming like the other networks are doing. I think that would help their network.

10. Gerald says:

Season 2 of the Tomorrow People would be awesome. I hope it happens.

11. Babygate says:

Considering how the ratings landscape has changed in the last 4 years, 24 did very well. Jack is still the man. Loved it. Fast pace action that keeps you on the edge of your seat. Jack Bauer is the best Monday night date. Period.

12. emma says:

I don’t understand why there isn’t almost any promotion for Castle anymore ? Couldn’t they do some interviews with the cast (not especially Nathan and Stana together since it’s not possible apparently but there are other options), I feel like there isn’t anything around Castle. Next week is the wedding and nothing about it.

• diya says:

Why don’t stana and Nathan give interviews together. Is it true then they don’t get along . I know stana is currently AOL. But what of rest of the cast including Nathan who mind u never talks of CASTLE on twitter.

• c-mo says:

Nathan’s going to be on Dave this Friday to plug, I’m assuming, the season finale and he was on Conan a few weeks ago. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not defending ABC, they do a horrific job of promoting this show, I’m just saying that Nathan is at least doing something.

13. ggny says:

Anyone else think them ratings are low? With all the hype it had surrounding the return i thought it would reach atleast a 3.5 in the demo and it couldnt even get a 2.8

14. Marion says:

Castle ratings are dropping and they’re doing stuff like making Beckett already married for the Season final. I don’t care how they do it, how could they possibly thought it would be a good idea ? I haven’t seen one person thinking it’s an interesting idea. The only thing which could make the thing better is if it’s Castle who did that as a joke, but promoting the big wedding we all wanted to see like that is not going to encourage people to watch it …

15. dman6015 says:

24 and The Blacklist. That’s all I needed.

16. Suncatcher says:

I was exhausted last night after overdosing on unusually great TV with the return of 24 followed by The Blacklist, with the superb, James Spader. Keep it coming!

17. Ana Rubio says:

Why???!!! Castle episode was so great!!! Fantastic way to finish that arc.

18. Boone says:

Great to have Jack and 24 back !

19. Mike says:

Yay! Friends with Better Lives should be renewed. Ratings will hopefully stabilize.

20. Doug says:

Is it bad that I cheered at the end of 24 when Jack gave us the emphatic damnit!? 24 & Blacklist made for a great night

21. Nikunj Dixit says:

The truth is that the general audience long since lost interest in the Johannah Beckett storyline. The storyline should have ended two seasons ago but they have stretched it endlessly. Its why despite the heavy promotion and the glowing reviews, ‘In the Belly of the Beast’ had the second lowest rating of the season, and why ‘Veritas’, despite being the assumed conclusion of this arc, didn’t fare much better. These are facts talking, not opinion. Its the only logical reason why a pretty bland ep like ‘Law and Boarder’ beat a much story arc ep like ‘Veritas’, which was easily the best ep in this story arc for a while. I was not a fan of ‘In the Belly of the Beast’ at all because it seemed that the storyline had taken a incredibly ridiculous turn with Bracken being a secret drug kingpin while running for President. Thankfully they stopped it before it got any worse with ‘Veritas’.

• Marion says:

I really don’t think the ratings are related to this storyline in particular, it hasn’t been really stable this season, one episode it’s dropping, the next one it’s better ect … I can’t explain why though, I really thought the ratings would be better for the two last episodes of season 6.

• Nikunj Dixit says:

Maybe so, but if the audience is invested in a story arc, then its natural to assume that there will be more people who will turn up to watch the ep. But that’s just not true with the story arc ep this season. The ratings for these eps aren’t just average, they are among the lowest rated eps of the season. Its a reasonable conclusion to make that the general audience is just not all that interested in the storyline.

• Kimmie says:

That’s what I said. I don’t care about the whole convoluted storyline about who killed her mother. The idea that a Senator has so much power to run a drug ring and have Big Baddies working for him who will keep his secret, etc. I don’t think I’ve missed an episode and I’m still not sure how all the lines connect – but I don’t care, if it’s truly a finished storyline. I love Castle when its goofy – give me the time travel guy from the future vs drug lords and the other long winding storyline about the other Baddy McBadson who disappeared a few episodes back but will of course return. Blech and boring.

• Marion says:

Personnally I like the fun episodes of Castle but it’s episode like Sucker Punch, Knockdown, Knockout, Always, Veritas etc that I prefer the most. But I think it was time to finish it, and they’ve done it really good in my opinion.
        Now maybe they should explore Castle more (without making ridiculous storyline like him going to Paris alone meeting his daddy spy) and his relationship with Beckett, because all we had this season was marriage talk that didn’t lead anywhere, there hasn’t really had an evolution in their couple …

• Nikunj Dixit says:

In my opinion, all the Johannah Beckett murder episodes post season 3 have been pretty bad. I think ‘Veritas’ was definitely better than prior Bracken episodes. Season 4 is when this storyline went completely off the rails for me. ‘Always’ felt like a retread of ‘Knockout’ with Beckett acting reckless again, Castle and Beckett having the same fight again, and another assassin out to kill Beckett again. When they introduced a third assassin in the storyline, I knew they had run out of ideas. This drug king pin idea was again really dumb. I mean how is it remotely believable that a man who is running for President can be a drug king pin, when every move of his would be scrutinized by the media and his opponents. I’m really glad they nipped this one in the bud.

22. moses says:

24 premiered strong i was expecting a 3.0 ratings but lets see how it goes in the finale

23. Mikael says:

It was amazing to have 24 back on my tv. I think the ratings were great, considering the show has been off the air for FOUR years, plus DVR and online viewing are more popular than ever. And to those saying that the Nielson system will never change or go away, and it’s all about the commercials, I think you can see that product placement has grown immensely. I think that is the future, since people hate sitting through commericals and these days you can easily fastforward.

• Quality Programming Is Dead says:

Everybody wants a show to go even longer and have less and less commercials-it what develops a series.

Product placement? That was around in the 50s and 60s-some wrapped around with the actors/actresses of the show in the form of commercials and specifically only for that show.

• drhenning says:

Speaking of product placement, I noticed Sprint is again a sponsor of 24 like it was during its run… The team used Sprint phones during those episodes showing the phone screens.. Can’t go there on the new shows since Sprint phones don’t work in London except for some of the newer ones that GSM in them that could work in London..

24. Alex says:

Veritas was an episode expected, I had the impression that a lot of people had already seen it before it aired on abc since a lot were already commenting it (with itunes uk, ctv, downloading). Maybe it’s one of the reason ? It’s weird that this season the better episodes haven’t had very good ratings : Smells Like Teen Spirit, In the Belly of The Beast (well i think there wasn’t a good lead for this one if I remember correctly), Veritas … Let’s see next week and the wedding …

25. Quality Programming Is Dead says:

Those defending today’s ratings standards (mainly the young people) are the reason why all the quality shows go to cable/satellite. Not even a family themed show can make it on broadcast TV for that very reason.

26. DavidSask says:

CBS comedy ratings are crap, time to do an overhaul there!!