Once Upon a Time's Ginnifer Goodwin Previews Wicked Childbirth, a 'Significant' Baby Naming and Season 3's Super-Secret Final Scene

TVLINE | When we spoke on set this winter, Once Upon a Time Charmings Cursecould you have imagined  back then that Snow White had cast the curse?
You know what? Truth be told, I did know. Josh and I were sworn to secrecy — even our castmates didn’t know — because there were certain things the creators realized that we needed to gear up to play, in terms of getting to the point at which we made the decision to [cast the curse]; it couldn’t just be something impulsive. But we are terrible secret-keepers, so it was really hard to sit on set with our lips zipped, listening to everybody talk about who they thought cast it.

TVLINE | The scene itself was so romantic, all the assorted beats within that flashback sequence.
Oh, I loved it. We loved, loved, loved filming that. That was the last time that I was physically able to get up and won off the floor! So that scene meant a lot.

TVLINE | The Wicked Witch storyline at large has been great fun, with the assorted Oz nods — even throwaway lines like, “Out of my way, Munchkin.”
And I feel like Rebecca Made made it so much more fun. Not a slam against any other actors, but she had so much fun with it, she made me understand a whole new motivation for this character…. It’s a testament to the writing and the acting of the people that they brought on board, that they made that world so new and refreshing and complicated and fun.REBECCA MADER, GINNIFER GOODWIN It was a joy, honestly, to watch. Jennifer and I have said this before, but there were moments where we would realize we were smiling through scenes because we were sitting there as audience members as opposed to actors playing characters, because we would be on the ride with the Wicked Witch.

TVLINE | All told, how did the split season work out for the actors?
We preferred it, to be honest. Nothing against what we’ve done in the past, but I felt like we packed more of a punch, splitting the season up this way. I appreciate that the audience experienced more momentum, and I really appreciated that ultimately there was a common goal for each of those halves, as far as all of our characters banding together and going after the same thing, even if we had individual agendas.

TVLINE | That really was a theme of both halves, and even a bit of late Season 2. We even saw that wonderful growth for Snow and Regina as frenemies.
We kept making this joke during the first half of this season, that we were “The Nevengers,” but there’s some truth in that. You have all of these “superhero”-type characters who normally would be following their own agendas. To be honest, I hope that it continues like this. I also liked the change of scenery, in that it was like doing two miniseries a year. It kept us all invigorated.

TVLINE | You joke about The Nevengers, but last week’s battle scene with the monkeys had everyone busting out their specialty. Swords, guns, fireballs…
Oh yeah. But another bone we pick is the fact that Regina doesn’t “poof” us out of all situations – and we don’t know why she doesn’t. Just “poof” us out of here!

RELATED | Save the Dates! Your Guide to 80+ May Season Finales and More

TVLINE | What can you tease about the two-hour Season 3 finale (airing May 11)? Adam and Eddy said it definitely points at a direction for Season 4.
Absolutely. In fact, I know that they have something up their sleeve that we the cast have not been made privy, in terms of the absolutely final moments of the season. I know that they are going to reveal something about the theme of next season, but we actually don’t know what it is. I don’t know that anybody does, outside of the boys and the people who filmed it. But other than that, we will tie up some odd loose ends, for sure, there will be a marriage, Killing Kennedyand I can tell you that someone’s going to be burned at a stake – there’s that doozy!

TVLINE | You’ve played Snow White — which you have said you did for your 8-year-old self — and you’ve portrayed Jackie Kennedy.… Is there any other iconic character you’d love to take on at some point in your career?
Oh my gosh, I’m such a sort of literary whore…. When I went into this [profession], I wanted to play every Shakespearean heroine and bring to life every Jane Austen novel, and that’s all clearly been done… I can’t say that I have one specific character I’m dying to play, but there are SO many books that I’m always reading or revisiting where I go, “Oh, if only they’d make an adaptation of this.” I loved [NatGeo's Killing Kennedy]. I loved making it, I loved the product and everyone involved…. I’ll certainly be chasing other dreams along the way.

Want more scoop on Once Upon a Time, or for any other show? Email insideline@tvline.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

1. LADY_in_MD says:

Can’t wait for this Sunday and next weeks finale the 11th is my bday and my freinds wanted to go out for dinner but I said nope I will be sitting on the couch enjoying every minute of the 2 hour finale!

2. Poppy says:

“Someone’s going to be burned at a stake”?
    Oh my…I don’t know how to feel about that. We’re definitely in for a ride those final 3 hours :)
    Really hope some loose ends will be tied up. For example, what happened to the Jolly Roger, how did Hook get to New York, how is the Charming baby necessary in order to spell the time travel curse, how i Rumple gonna escape the Wicked Witch’s grasp, etc…

In re Snow I would have loved to know Ginny’s take on Snow’s stance towards Hook. Snow always sees the good in people (see Regina) and is such a proponent of true love. I’m wondering why she has so much trouble seeing the good in Hook and how she’s not affected by Hook’s true love for her daughter.

Great interview though! Adam Horowitz always insisted on twitter that they wrote the pregnancy into the story independent of Ginny’s and Josh’s real life pregnancy, so it’s good to know that that was actually the case and how well real life and the show could come together on this.

• Whatevah says:

I want to know what happened to Rumple. How did he go from stabbing his dad to being held captive by the witch. Or did I miss something?

• nate says:

i believe Rumple ended up in the hole thing when Belle was with Neal and they had to get him out

• ZackB says:

Belle and Baelfire cast a dark spell at the source of the Dark One (where the first one was made) in order to bring the current Dark One back from oblivion. At this point Zelena intercepts the dagger and Baelfire is merged to Rumple. Between killing Pan and that moment, Rumple was dead and the Darkone vanquished.

• ZackB says:

Who sent the tornado to scoop up Zelena? That is the only question that matters to me.

• rayleen says:

I think she started the tornado herself. It was green and it seemed like it started when she started crying. Rumple said she was powerful and she obviously had magic as a baby, considering her adoptive father saw her nock over the tree when they first found her. So I think she made it or Cora did cause she felt bad.

• Kristin says:

This is everything I’d like to see as well, especially how Hook wound up getting to NY and what happened to the Jolly Roger. And you make a good point in asking why Snow, who sees the good in everyone, has so much trouble seeing the good in Hook. Her attitude toward him has irked me all year and especially in last week’s episode.

• Sina says:

I love Snow so much but I feel exactly the same way about her attitude towards Hook. It seems so out of character for her. She always has faith in people and focuses on the good in them, and Hook has showed so much of his good heart ever since he turned the Jolly Roger around at the end of season 2. And I get that she isn’t privy to everything we know, but at the least she knows that Hook saved David’s life in Neverland, confessed his sincere feelings for her daughter in the Echo Cave, helped to save Henry, found Emma in NY and reunited her with both her parents and has been a fixture in team “Defeat Zelena”. I don’t know…that scene in 3×19 where both Snow and David jumped at Hook for “lying” about who sent him the message felt so off to me. Not just because Hook told them he “assumed” he got the message from Snow and couldn’t have lied but because by now they should really know better.

• Iman says:

Agree, I felt that scene was a bit off, and he did say he assumed. He didnt say that they actually sent the note.

• Boondocksgirl says:

All of that wont diminish the fact that the Charming will want the best for their daughter—back in fairy tale land when hook did got the chance to be close to the charming he separate himself quickly just because he thought that he wouldn’t see emma again his sincerity is only to emma which is pretty selfish, he didn’t stay to see if charming needed help knowing that they are the parents of emma…he only show loyalty when emma’s around/in his reach and since she wasn’t near hell with the charmings
          I think snow might be distance/not into the hook because of those things also add the family tree thing. Knot everyone would be willing and want their daughter go with a “Pirate” not to mention that this man was also a lover to Henry grandmother and step father to her grandson father . Charming will draw the line

• Louise says:

Good point. This is what I don’t understand about all these arguments that the Charmings should known how much Hook has changed and how much he has done and what not. He hasn’t, really. Most of what he does is still to impress Emma and get into her pants. When he had a real chance to prove that he has changed, he bailed. The minute they arrived back in FTL he ran off to play pirate while Emma’s family was fighting the Wicked Witch and trying to protect those they (and Emma and Henry) care about from her in the Enchanted Forest. Instead of honoring Emma whom he claims to love oh so much by trying to protect her family from harm he went off to sulk.

• Iman says:

OMG YES. Especially in last weeks episode. I understand why Emma was upset but Snow and Charming??? Especially Charming, like seriously what happened??? You guys are mates…I think he wanted Hook to say “I swear on Prince Charming”, maybe he is just a little upset…lol…jk. But no seriously I think Snow will see good in him eventually.

• Lily says:

I feel like, Mary Margaret harps on Hook, because he is in true love with her daughter. She thinks he is not good enough for Emma, because he is a pirate. It goes to show just how little, she understands her own daughter. Mary Margaret has been looking for a reason to turn on Hook all season, and jumped at the first opportunity she got. She has always refused to acknowledge, that Neal was the reason Emma is so distrusting.

I love Snow White/Mary Margaret…. but her greatest flaw has always been, that she is a self-righteous hypocrite. She claims to be the People’s Princess, but she loves rubbing her social status in everyone’s faces. Hey Snow…. Hook might be a pirate; but he was still born to a higher social class, than your husband.

• Lily says:

Snow doesn’t see the good in Hook because Hook has murdered innocent people. Don’t forget that the bastard locked Emma/Snow/Mulan/Aurora up in a cage to hopefully die of starvation in S2. That’s not something you logically get over especially in so little time, despite Hook’s nice intentions now-a-days, and Snow probably sees that he’s not changing because he wants to change… He’s only changing to impress Emma and to get in her pants. Would you want this guy around your daughter? Think of it that way.

3. spindae2 says:

Great Interview Matt. Just missed 1 question! How will the real life baby effect ginnifer’s presence in the begginig of season 4. But okay that will come post final for sure.
    Looking forward to next 2 sundays.

• anon says:

If the baby is born within the next week or so, then both Ginny and Josh will have at least 2 months with him/her before they need to return to work. I think the fact that they both work together will probably make the adjustment easier though I won’t be shocked if Snow and Charming don’t really feature in the premiere that much. I’m also thinking they might not want a 2 month old on a stinky, germy airplane.

4. Amy says:

From the sounds of it we won’t get that old ‘don’t worry it’s nothing I haven’t seen before’ from Whale during the delivery (which would have really taken on a double meaning).

Great interview! I’m really excited for Sunday and the finale, I think this whole season has been stellar but this second half has been one of my favorites of all the seasons

• ComeOn! says:

I think Ginny meant when Charming/David found out Whale and Mary Margaret had a one night stand while they were still under the memory lost curst and David punched Whale the first chance he saw the Dr back in season 1. And here’s Whale delivering Mary Margaret’s baby in season 3… It’s kind of bring back bad memory.

5. Jennifer says:

Thank you so much for this interview. I agree with Ginny- more heart to hearts and family moments please! I love them in the show and love reading and hearing about them in interviews too!

6. Roberta says:

Really great interview, as always! Thanks for always looking deeper into my favorite show!

7. Leo says:

I love Ginny so much. Her scenes with Josh are the most romantic in TV history. And she’s such a sweetheart. I wish her the best.
    Clearly the Wicked witch is the one being burnt at stake. A fitting ending.
    What is Season 4 about though? Oz? Wonderland?
    So damn excited.

8. nate says:

i bet the baby is gonna be named Toto or Todo.. whatever the hell that dog’s name was lol

9. Heather says:

I wonder if Belle and Rumple are the ones getting married.

10. Sarah says:

Obviously, Jennifer Morrison knows what the secret scene is all about. Colin O’Donoghue is in Ireland, and won’t be here for the finale. My guess is, he’s not on the edge of his seat waiting to know what the flavor of next season will be all about, leading me to believe he already knows; because he also filmed that scene. For Hook fans, this could be a good thing, or it could be a bad thing. Let’s just say happy endings don’t happen mid-story, and this series isn’t over yet. Emma hasn’t had her happy ending, yet. Dah-Dah-Dummmmmm!!!!

• Sarah says:

All this is in reference to page 2

• Lily says:

Hook will finally turn his back on Emma, because of all the garbage she has put him through…. not! The thing about OUaT, is that it features the “after ” of “happily ever after”.

• Iman says:

That is what I was thinking. That maybe they will show us the ‘after’ of ‘happily ever after’, but i dont know how I’ll feel about that. I guess we’ll just have to wait and see. But I’m super excited because I love Hook and Emma.

• Gil says:

Even if we get a shift in Hook and Emma story/build up… we still got loads to see and journey (coz there is one thing we know – this show aint easy on couples lol… esp this season i feel like esp in season 3b, they have put Emma/Hook through each obstable its presented it seems esp Hook (also lets be honest, Rumbelle have had it worse in terms of being apart) like if Emma/Hook share a true love kiss and are true love, we still need to see the after effects was that, and their journey. And Emma is Emma, and we all know Emma and how she deals with things and her emotions. So her happily ever after is still a journey in itself before, present and after etc you know!

11. Addie says:

She is seriously so cute-how can you hate anyone who refers to her pregnancy as “the untitled Ginny Goodwin/Josh Dallas project?” And I like that the cast wonders about the same things everyone else does- why Regina doesn’t just poof everyone away and why the heck Snow and Charming would want Whale anywhere near that part of Snow. Seriously, is Doc a monkey or is he not good enough for Snowing baby 2.0? I have no idea what the name could be! Probably not Leopold or Eva if it came as a surprise. And I would have never guessed that Snow cast the curse/had to kill Charming, so kudos to Ginny and Josh for being good secret keepers! And I also have no clue what could be happening in the finale which is a bit scary! Finally, I really like that Ginny seems to enjoy the quieter Charming family stuff. To me, it’s probably one of the strongest parts of the show so I’m happy that she seems to agree with that.

• Addie says:

Oh and also the way Ginny describes how the pregnancy story happened basically confirms that Adam and Eddy were lying a bit about them writing Snow’s pregnancy before Ginny’s. I always thought that seemed like a mighty big coincidence.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

She was so bubbly during this interview, honestly — what a pleasure. The second of two great in-depth interviews I had this week.

12. Mary says:

“Untitled Ginny Goodwin/Josh Dallas Project” – Ha. I love that. To cute.

13. nelly says:

i think theyll named the baby baelfire or neal… maybe thats why is so emotional… all i want is hook and emma to be happy once and for all or at least for the season finale… we will just have to wait and see…

14. Freddy says:

Ginny was great in the ladt episode… her love and faith for Charming, those scenes got to me.

Look forward to Baby Charmings ;)

Rooting for Emma/Hook. One thing we need to find out is HOW did he get to Emma… I feel like he gave up his ship for her… coz we know how much Emma’s loss affected him in the lost year and chose his ship thinking it could fill that void, but as we know it didnt and he didnt move on from Emma!

Lets hope Rumbelle finally do come together

15. murley says:

I am going to guess the child is a boy and they name him Neal.

16. Lily says:

Please, let the baby be a girl and named Regina Blanchard-Nolan…. please!!!!

17. Freddy says:

Why the hell would u name it Neal… its stupid lol

• Lily says:

I do not know about stupid; but naming the baby Neal, is definitely tasteless. He was Rumplestiltskin’s son, and he died a hero…. but he was, the man who broke Emma’s heart. Interestingly enough, the baby only exists, because Hook saved David in Neverland.

• Gil says:

Tasteless and something that dont make a sense, i admit he went out a hero but his own stupidity/reasons to using dark magic and his impulsiveness to get what he wanted and used dark magic and he paid the price – that was his doing. So no i dont see it as he is a big hero coz he isnt as such, in the end he did the right thing to die for the ppl he cares for and loves i guess – paid the price of dark magic – other then that he aint done much! . One act and he is all hero and that pisses me off!!! But then again its how the show presented Neal in the final act, so its like lets erase all he has done even like he didnt have a chose to leave her in prison (clearly he did but his own selfish reason he chose himself and not seeing his dad)

Seriously name it Neal and Bae lol

I hope its a great name for whatever they want to call their Little Prince!

18. Boondocksgirl says:

“Why not deliver the baby at the apartment, which has the protection spell?”
    That’s a good point. I kept raising the question, “Why is Charming all right with Dr. Whale down there between Mary Margaret’s legs?” After all they’ve been through. [Laughs]

Hahahahahahahahahha I LOVE GINNY SO MUCH THERE’S NOT A DULL MOMENT WITH HER JOSH SEE THAT AS WELL!

19. Paz says:

Am I the only one who truly believes Zelena is going to succeed? I mean, obviously, her specific goal is not going to play out, but the whole going back in time is happening in my humble opinion. Who is the most obvious choice when it comes to deserving a second chance? Emma, of course. But how can you spice it up? An idea: Probably Emma and someone else, ’cause I doubt she would go back alone, will go back in time (and be completely aware of it) and witness a lot of things and maybe even change a couple of events, while in present time, they are all living their normal lives and then Emma and whoever come back and no one even knew they were gone. I know, this sounds like ‘Back to the Future’, but this is how I picture it.

• Boondocksgirl says:

At a recent interview Jennifer did , she gave a hint mentioning that emma will be in an adventure so you maybe right at most part that emma will go back in time to fairytale land .

• Gail says:

As I said in another post, I hope Zelena does succeed getting to the past and Emma or whoever also goes back during the same spell to try and stop her. I also like Regina and the Charmings working together so they still need a common enemy for that to continue. They all seem to like Rebecca and the Wicked Witch so maybe they will keep her around.

So who is getting married? Regina and Robin Hood? Belle and Rumple?

20. adam says:

What is that picture about, it looks like President Kennedy. And how does that go with season 4. If it is Kennedy how is he involved with the supernatural world.

• Stormy says:

It’s just a photo of Ginny with Rob Lowe when they played the Kennedys in another show. Relax.

21. Gil says:

I want Emma back in centre stage! Its like am seeing Emma put on the backburner
    And Regina pretty much getting all the glory (i do like Regina, but i love Emma and she is the MAIN heroine so why doesnt feel like she isnt esp right now? Seriously its like Regina is getting it all! hero type, magic, love, glory etc (not being rude, just laying it out)
    I love Emma, i love Emma/Hook! But above that i want Emma back to NOW making a development in herself – heart. feelings, emotions, and with her family and with her love/romance! I hope we see some shift in it

22. Sheila says:

Are there truly people dumb enough to ask the actress if she would name her baby after TV characters from her own show?

23. Scorpio says:

I think that they should name the baby Reginald–after Regina (obviously). She saved them all and it would be a tribute to how Regina has changed and symbolic of the bad blood between her and the Charmings being laid to rest.

24. Ramonna says:

All I can say is I really hope the baby is not named Leopold

25. Amelia says:

I think the baby name is going to be Daniel

26. nathalie says:

I think of Poucet, Arthur or Merlin mabe

27. redneck9707 says:

In the season three finale who was the lady the rose from the blue liquid from the earn when hook and Emma came back to the future is my only question

28. Bchildress says:

Elsa from Frozen

29. Bchildress says:

I hate that Robin’s wife came back. I love Regina and how she found someone and changed, now she’s going to become evil again and blame Emma like she did Snowwhite :( Maybe he’ll end up with Regina anyway