Once Upon a Time's Ginnifer Goodwin Previews Wicked Childbirth, a 'Significant' Baby Naming and Season 3's Super-Secret Final Scene

Once Upon a Time SpoilersABC’s Once Upon a Time will make a very special delivery this Sunday at 8/7c, as Mary Margaret aka Snow White gives birth to a baby that the Wicked Witch is hot to get her green mitts on. With an eye on the imminent addition to the Charming clan, TVLine invited Ginnifer Goodwin — whose baby with husband/costar Josh Dallas should soon arrive with a bit less drama — to preview Season 3′s final three hours, including the top-secret scene that sets the stage for Season 4.

RELATED | May Sweeps Scoopapalooza: 99+ Spoilers on 23 Series’ Season-Ending Episodes

TVLINE | I probably should know the answer to this, but I’ve never bothered to ask you myself: Which pregnancy came first? Would [series creators] Adam [Horowitz] and Eddy [Kitsis] have made Snow White pregnant regardless?
It’s something that we had sort of discussed over the past year-and-a-half. They knew that there was an “Untitled Ginny Goodwin/Josh Dallas Project” in the works, and we knew there was a very much-titled Snow White/Prince Charming Project in the works, and we were hoping that the timing would overlap. And they had given themselves some wiggle room in the writing. We knew that the characters wanted to become pregnant, so once we became pregnant in real life, they could say, “All right, here we go.”

TVLINE | But once they did write it in, did they give you a heads-up that Snow’s pregnancy would not be without drama?
Well, we knew that from the beginning! [Laughs] But what was lovely – and unexpected, just because no one thinks of these things that far enough in advance – is they found a way to help me be an extremely pregnant woman while filming. I was not asked to leap off any cliffs or things like that myself, once we knew there really was a baby in there.

TVLINE | I think back to a couple of episodes ago, where Snow was kicking back in the apartment, her feet up on a hassock….
Oh yes. One of my assistant directors actually got for me — and carried around the woods — a leather lounge chair. It went everywhere with us, including on mountaintops.

PHOTOS | Once Upon a Time First Look: The Charming Baby Arrives, Zelena and Glinda Meet Dorothy

TVLINE | When I visited the set in February, you and Jennifer Morrison used the word “creepy” to describe the Season 3B storyline. And really, what’s creepier than having the Big Bad going after a baby?
Absolutely. There’s something very Rosemary’s Baby about the whole thing to us, and I feel like that was almost honored in the wardrobe choices for Mary Margaret — though no one ever confirmed that that was any kind of inspiration. But all of those baby doll dresses of the ’60s eras kind of gave us an additional layer of the creeps.JOSH DALLAS, GINNIFER GOODWIN

TVLINE | Going into this Sunday’s episode, “Kansas,” Snow is in labor. Are she and Charming going to be able to lose themselves at all in the joy of childbirth?
No, that wouldn’t be near dramatic enough. [Laughs] We’re going to be looking over our shoulders the entire time, because we know that Zelena is after our newborn, in order to turn back time and change her destiny and possibly erase Regina from existence. We are not even going to get through the actual pushing part without there being complications that are not medically related.

TVLINE | One of our readers wondered: “Why not deliver the baby at the apartment, which has the protection spell?”
That’s a good point. I kept raising the question, “Why is Charming all right with Dr. Whale down there between Mary Margaret’s legs?” After all they’ve been through. [Laughs]

RELATED | ‘Ship Shape: How Your Fave Pairs From Once Upon a Time and Other Shows Are Faring

TVLINE | Without revealing anything, will Baby Charming’s name make a certain amount of sense?
Yes, the baby’s name is going to be significant, absolutely significant. In fact, every time I not only read the script but then every time we filmed it, I got very, genuinely emotional. It was an excellent move — and very unexpected.

TVLINE | Might you and Josh steal the name?
[Laughs] You know what — the number of people who’ve stopped me on the street and said, “If it’s a girl, are you going to name it Emma? If it’s a boy, will you name him Henry?” is really staggering. I have to say it’s not something we are considering for real life, because we have to keep real life sacred. But it’s really funny to me.

JOSH DALLAS, JENNIFER MORRISON, GINNIFER GOODWINTVLINE | You’ve always relished exploring the family dynamic with Snow, Charming and Emma. Have you thus appreciated what they did along those lines this season? Because they’ve had some very nice moments.
Yes. Though I don’t know what’s in store for next season — except that we’ll be thrown all kinds of curveballs – I hope that bringing another child into our family is going to pave the way for even more of those moments, because they’re always my favorite. I like our “heart-to-hearts on logs” far more than I do any of the swashbuckling.

CLICK TO PAGE 2 FOR GOODWIN’S THOUGHTS ON THE SPLIT SEASON, A HUGE SECRET SHE HAD TO KEEP AND SEASON 3′S FINAL TWIST

1. LADY_in_MD says:

Can’t wait for this Sunday and next weeks finale the 11th is my bday and my freinds wanted to go out for dinner but I said nope I will be sitting on the couch enjoying every minute of the 2 hour finale!

2. Poppy says:

“Someone’s going to be burned at a stake”?
    Oh my…I don’t know how to feel about that. We’re definitely in for a ride those final 3 hours :)
    Really hope some loose ends will be tied up. For example, what happened to the Jolly Roger, how did Hook get to New York, how is the Charming baby necessary in order to spell the time travel curse, how i Rumple gonna escape the Wicked Witch’s grasp, etc…

In re Snow I would have loved to know Ginny’s take on Snow’s stance towards Hook. Snow always sees the good in people (see Regina) and is such a proponent of true love. I’m wondering why she has so much trouble seeing the good in Hook and how she’s not affected by Hook’s true love for her daughter.

Great interview though! Adam Horowitz always insisted on twitter that they wrote the pregnancy into the story independent of Ginny’s and Josh’s real life pregnancy, so it’s good to know that that was actually the case and how well real life and the show could come together on this.

• Whatevah says:

I want to know what happened to Rumple. How did he go from stabbing his dad to being held captive by the witch. Or did I miss something?

• nate says:

i believe Rumple ended up in the hole thing when Belle was with Neal and they had to get him out

• ZackB says:

Belle and Baelfire cast a dark spell at the source of the Dark One (where the first one was made) in order to bring the current Dark One back from oblivion. At this point Zelena intercepts the dagger and Baelfire is merged to Rumple. Between killing Pan and that moment, Rumple was dead and the Darkone vanquished.

• ZackB says:

Who sent the tornado to scoop up Zelena? That is the only question that matters to me.

• rayleen says:

I think she started the tornado herself. It was green and it seemed like it started when she started crying. Rumple said she was powerful and she obviously had magic as a baby, considering her adoptive father saw her nock over the tree when they first found her. So I think she made it or Cora did cause she felt bad.

• Kristin says:

This is everything I’d like to see as well, especially how Hook wound up getting to NY and what happened to the Jolly Roger. And you make a good point in asking why Snow, who sees the good in everyone, has so much trouble seeing the good in Hook. Her attitude toward him has irked me all year and especially in last week’s episode.

• Sina says:

I love Snow so much but I feel exactly the same way about her attitude towards Hook. It seems so out of character for her. She always has faith in people and focuses on the good in them, and Hook has showed so much of his good heart ever since he turned the Jolly Roger around at the end of season 2. And I get that she isn’t privy to everything we know, but at the least she knows that Hook saved David’s life in Neverland, confessed his sincere feelings for her daughter in the Echo Cave, helped to save Henry, found Emma in NY and reunited her with both her parents and has been a fixture in team “Defeat Zelena”. I don’t know…that scene in 3×19 where both Snow and David jumped at Hook for “lying” about who sent him the message felt so off to me. Not just because Hook told them he “assumed” he got the message from Snow and couldn’t have lied but because by now they should really know better.

• Iman says:

Agree, I felt that scene was a bit off, and he did say he assumed. He didnt say that they actually sent the note.

• Boondocksgirl says:

All of that wont diminish the fact that the Charming will want the best for their daughter—back in fairy tale land when hook did got the chance to be close to the charming he separate himself quickly just because he thought that he wouldn’t see emma again his sincerity is only to emma which is pretty selfish, he didn’t stay to see if charming needed help knowing that they are the parents of emma…he only show loyalty when emma’s around/in his reach and since she wasn’t near hell with the charmings
          I think snow might be distance/not into the hook because of those things also add the family tree thing. Knot everyone would be willing and want their daughter go with a “Pirate” not to mention that this man was also a lover to Henry grandmother and step father to her grandson father . Charming will draw the line

• Louise says:

Good point. This is what I don’t understand about all these arguments that the Charmings should known how much Hook has changed and how much he has done and what not. He hasn’t, really. Most of what he does is still to impress Emma and get into her pants. When he had a real chance to prove that he has changed, he bailed. The minute they arrived back in FTL he ran off to play pirate while Emma’s family was fighting the Wicked Witch and trying to protect those they (and Emma and Henry) care about from her in the Enchanted Forest. Instead of honoring Emma whom he claims to love oh so much by trying to protect her family from harm he went off to sulk.

• Iman says:

OMG YES. Especially in last weeks episode. I understand why Emma was upset but Snow and Charming??? Especially Charming, like seriously what happened??? You guys are mates…I think he wanted Hook to say “I swear on Prince Charming”, maybe he is just a little upset…lol…jk. But no seriously I think Snow will see good in him eventually.

• Lily says:

I feel like, Mary Margaret harps on Hook, because he is in true love with her daughter. She thinks he is not good enough for Emma, because he is a pirate. It goes to show just how little, she understands her own daughter. Mary Margaret has been looking for a reason to turn on Hook all season, and jumped at the first opportunity she got. She has always refused to acknowledge, that Neal was the reason Emma is so distrusting.

I love Snow White/Mary Margaret…. but her greatest flaw has always been, that she is a self-righteous hypocrite. She claims to be the People’s Princess, but she loves rubbing her social status in everyone’s faces. Hey Snow…. Hook might be a pirate; but he was still born to a higher social class, than your husband.

• Lily says:

Snow doesn’t see the good in Hook because Hook has murdered innocent people. Don’t forget that the bastard locked Emma/Snow/Mulan/Aurora up in a cage to hopefully die of starvation in S2. That’s not something you logically get over especially in so little time, despite Hook’s nice intentions now-a-days, and Snow probably sees that he’s not changing because he wants to change… He’s only changing to impress Emma and to get in her pants. Would you want this guy around your daughter? Think of it that way.

3. spindae2 says:

Great Interview Matt. Just missed 1 question! How will the real life baby effect ginnifer’s presence in the begginig of season 4. But okay that will come post final for sure.
    Looking forward to next 2 sundays.

• anon says:

If the baby is born within the next week or so, then both Ginny and Josh will have at least 2 months with him/her before they need to return to work. I think the fact that they both work together will probably make the adjustment easier though I won’t be shocked if Snow and Charming don’t really feature in the premiere that much. I’m also thinking they might not want a 2 month old on a stinky, germy airplane.

4. Amy says:

From the sounds of it we won’t get that old ‘don’t worry it’s nothing I haven’t seen before’ from Whale during the delivery (which would have really taken on a double meaning).

Great interview! I’m really excited for Sunday and the finale, I think this whole season has been stellar but this second half has been one of my favorites of all the seasons

• ComeOn! says:

I think Ginny meant when Charming/David found out Whale and Mary Margaret had a one night stand while they were still under the memory lost curst and David punched Whale the first chance he saw the Dr back in season 1. And here’s Whale delivering Mary Margaret’s baby in season 3… It’s kind of bring back bad memory.

5. Jennifer says:

Thank you so much for this interview. I agree with Ginny- more heart to hearts and family moments please! I love them in the show and love reading and hearing about them in interviews too!

6. Roberta says:

Really great interview, as always! Thanks for always looking deeper into my favorite show!

7. Leo says:

I love Ginny so much. Her scenes with Josh are the most romantic in TV history. And she’s such a sweetheart. I wish her the best.
    Clearly the Wicked witch is the one being burnt at stake. A fitting ending.
    What is Season 4 about though? Oz? Wonderland?
    So damn excited.

8. nate says:

i bet the baby is gonna be named Toto or Todo.. whatever the hell that dog’s name was lol

9. Heather says:

I wonder if Belle and Rumple are the ones getting married.

10. Sarah says:

Obviously, Jennifer Morrison knows what the secret scene is all about. Colin O’Donoghue is in Ireland, and won’t be here for the finale. My guess is, he’s not on the edge of his seat waiting to know what the flavor of next season will be all about, leading me to believe he already knows; because he also filmed that scene. For Hook fans, this could be a good thing, or it could be a bad thing. Let’s just say happy endings don’t happen mid-story, and this series isn’t over yet. Emma hasn’t had her happy ending, yet. Dah-Dah-Dummmmmm!!!!

• Sarah says:

All this is in reference to page 2

• Lily says:

Hook will finally turn his back on Emma, because of all the garbage she has put him through…. not! The thing about OUaT, is that it features the “after ” of “happily ever after”.

• Iman says:

That is what I was thinking. That maybe they will show us the ‘after’ of ‘happily ever after’, but i dont know how I’ll feel about that. I guess we’ll just have to wait and see. But I’m super excited because I love Hook and Emma.

• Gil says:

Even if we get a shift in Hook and Emma story/build up… we still got loads to see and journey (coz there is one thing we know – this show aint easy on couples lol… esp this season i feel like esp in season 3b, they have put Emma/Hook through each obstable its presented it seems esp Hook (also lets be honest, Rumbelle have had it worse in terms of being apart) like if Emma/Hook share a true love kiss and are true love, we still need to see the after effects was that, and their journey. And Emma is Emma, and we all know Emma and how she deals with things and her emotions. So her happily ever after is still a journey in itself before, present and after etc you know!

11. Addie says:

She is seriously so cute-how can you hate anyone who refers to her pregnancy as “the untitled Ginny Goodwin/Josh Dallas project?” And I like that the cast wonders about the same things everyone else does- why Regina doesn’t just poof everyone away and why the heck Snow and Charming would want Whale anywhere near that part of Snow. Seriously, is Doc a monkey or is he not good enough for Snowing baby 2.0? I have no idea what the name could be! Probably not Leopold or Eva if it came as a surprise. And I would have never guessed that Snow cast the curse/had to kill Charming, so kudos to Ginny and Josh for being good secret keepers! And I also have no clue what could be happening in the finale which is a bit scary! Finally, I really like that Ginny seems to enjoy the quieter Charming family stuff. To me, it’s probably one of the strongest parts of the show so I’m happy that she seems to agree with that.

• Addie says:

Oh and also the way Ginny describes how the pregnancy story happened basically confirms that Adam and Eddy were lying a bit about them writing Snow’s pregnancy before Ginny’s. I always thought that seemed like a mighty big coincidence.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

She was so bubbly during this interview, honestly — what a pleasure. The second of two great in-depth interviews I had this week.

12. Mary says:

“Untitled Ginny Goodwin/Josh Dallas Project” – Ha. I love that. To cute.

13. nelly says:

i think theyll named the baby baelfire or neal… maybe thats why is so emotional… all i want is hook and emma to be happy once and for all or at least for the season finale… we will just have to wait and see…

14. Freddy says:

Ginny was great in the ladt episode… her love and faith for Charming, those scenes got to me.

Look forward to Baby Charmings ;)

Rooting for Emma/Hook. One thing we need to find out is HOW did he get to Emma… I feel like he gave up his ship for her… coz we know how much Emma’s loss affected him in the lost year and chose his ship thinking it could fill that void, but as we know it didnt and he didnt move on from Emma!

Lets hope Rumbelle finally do come together

15. murley says:

I am going to guess the child is a boy and they name him Neal.

16. Lily says:

Please, let the baby be a girl and named Regina Blanchard-Nolan…. please!!!!

17. Freddy says:

Why the hell would u name it Neal… its stupid lol

• Lily says:

I do not know about stupid; but naming the baby Neal, is definitely tasteless. He was Rumplestiltskin’s son, and he died a hero…. but he was, the man who broke Emma’s heart. Interestingly enough, the baby only exists, because Hook saved David in Neverland.

• Gil says:

Tasteless and something that dont make a sense, i admit he went out a hero but his own stupidity/reasons to using dark magic and his impulsiveness to get what he wanted and used dark magic and he paid the price – that was his doing. So no i dont see it as he is a big hero coz he isnt as such, in the end he did the right thing to die for the ppl he cares for and loves i guess – paid the price of dark magic – other then that he aint done much! . One act and he is all hero and that pisses me off!!! But then again its how the show presented Neal in the final act, so its like lets erase all he has done even like he didnt have a chose to leave her in prison (clearly he did but his own selfish reason he chose himself and not seeing his dad)

Seriously name it Neal and Bae lol

I hope its a great name for whatever they want to call their Little Prince!

18. Boondocksgirl says:

“Why not deliver the baby at the apartment, which has the protection spell?”

Hahahahahahahahahha I LOVE GINNY SO MUCH THERE’S NOT A DULL MOMENT WITH HER JOSH SEE THAT AS WELL!

19. Paz says:

Am I the only one who truly believes Zelena is going to succeed? I mean, obviously, her specific goal is not going to play out, but the whole going back in time is happening in my humble opinion. Who is the most obvious choice when it comes to deserving a second chance? Emma, of course. But how can you spice it up? An idea: Probably Emma and someone else, ’cause I doubt she would go back alone, will go back in time (and be completely aware of it) and witness a lot of things and maybe even change a couple of events, while in present time, they are all living their normal lives and then Emma and whoever come back and no one even knew they were gone. I know, this sounds like ‘Back to the Future’, but this is how I picture it.

• Boondocksgirl says:

At a recent interview Jennifer did , she gave a hint mentioning that emma will be in an adventure so you maybe right at most part that emma will go back in time to fairytale land .

• Gail says:

As I said in another post, I hope Zelena does succeed getting to the past and Emma or whoever also goes back during the same spell to try and stop her. I also like Regina and the Charmings working together so they still need a common enemy for that to continue. They all seem to like Rebecca and the Wicked Witch so maybe they will keep her around.

So who is getting married? Regina and Robin Hood? Belle and Rumple?

20. adam says:

What is that picture about, it looks like President Kennedy. And how does that go with season 4. If it is Kennedy how is he involved with the supernatural world.

• Stormy says:

It’s just a photo of Ginny with Rob Lowe when they played the Kennedys in another show. Relax.

21. Gil says:

I want Emma back in centre stage! Its like am seeing Emma put on the backburner
    And Regina pretty much getting all the glory (i do like Regina, but i love Emma and she is the MAIN heroine so why doesnt feel like she isnt esp right now? Seriously its like Regina is getting it all! hero type, magic, love, glory etc (not being rude, just laying it out)
    I love Emma, i love Emma/Hook! But above that i want Emma back to NOW making a development in herself – heart. feelings, emotions, and with her family and with her love/romance! I hope we see some shift in it

22. Sheila says:

Are there truly people dumb enough to ask the actress if she would name her baby after TV characters from her own show?

23. Scorpio says:

I think that they should name the baby Reginald–after Regina (obviously). She saved them all and it would be a tribute to how Regina has changed and symbolic of the bad blood between her and the Charmings being laid to rest.

24. Ramonna says:

All I can say is I really hope the baby is not named Leopold

25. Amelia says:

I think the baby name is going to be Daniel

26. nathalie says:

I think of Poucet, Arthur or Merlin mabe

27. redneck9707 says:

In the season three finale who was the lady the rose from the blue liquid from the earn when hook and Emma came back to the future is my only question

28. Bchildress says:

Elsa from Frozen

29. Bchildress says:

I hate that Robin’s wife came back. I love Regina and how she found someone and changed, now she’s going to become evil again and blame Emma like she did Snowwhite :( Maybe he’ll end up with Regina anyway