Following Finale Preview: Stars Talk [Spoiler]'s Death and Who Might Buddy Up in Season 3

following-purefoy-325The penultimate Season 2 episode of The Following went to black last week with one big death and one (possibly?) on the way – and stars James Purefoy and Valorie Curry tell TVLine the Fox drama is just sharpening its knives.

Here’s the thing: As Curry recently tipped us off, the thriller shot multiple versions of its second season finale ending; neither she nor Purefoy know which one will be used. But that didn’t stop the stars from teasing what might happen come Monday night (9/8c) and one possible direction Season 3 could take.

Read on to see what Curry and Purefoy, in separate interviews, divulged about Emma’s “angel”-ic final moments, how Joe will handle the news of his right-hand woman’s death and why a Ryan/Joe partnership would make for a great (albeit messed-up) buddy movie.

PHOTOS | May Sweeps Scoopapalooza: 99+ Spoilers on Your Favorite Series’ Season-Ending Episodes

TVLINE | When did you find out that Emma wasn’t going to last the season?
CURRY | I found out while we were in production on Episode 13, which was about two weeks before we shot it. It was Valentine’s Day and Marcos [Siega], our executive producer, kindly waited two days after he found out because the 12th was my birthday… It was early in the morning, and I was in my dressing room before a big day of shooting. I get the knock on my door, and he’s standing there, curled in on himself, looking very apologetic. I’m like, “I know. It’s fine.” I ended up comforting him for half a second. [Laughs] I was expecting it, honestly, at this point.

I was really happy with what they wrote in the episode  — especially that monologue about death and about it being silence and peace, because what I remember when I was reading that I was like, “She wants to die. OK.” She had such a miserable time of it since Joe came back… I wanted her to have some peace.

VIDEOThe Following Exclusive Sneak Peek: Ryan and Joe… Work Together?!

TVLINE | Emma’s relationship with Joe changed a lot from the pilot to her last episode. She was far less adoring.
CURRY | She loves him, but she’s not the adoring child that she was in Season 1, blinded by love. That’s what’s harder and more tragic: She knows who he is. She knows he doesn’t really love her. She knows he’s using her, and she has to accept the charade and accept those things in order to be near him because as awful as it is to be with him, it’s worse to be without him.

following_curry_325TVLINE | The audience saw Joe manipulating Emma hard –  I’m thinking of the scene where he pretends to be all broken up about her being the force behind him – but did you play it as though she knew?
CURRY | I think she did. It was kind of funny, because when we shot that scene, we shot that two different ways: one where he was genuine and he hugged me and you know and he was in tears at the end, and then one where he was going cold like that. [Purefoy was] like, “I want you to guess which one I’m doing,” and it was so clear. [Laughs]
PUREFOY | She did work it out! She said, “Your body went a bit soft on the nasty one. I could feel your body go when you were over my shoulder, I could feel you relax.”

TVLINE | Does Joe find out about Emma’s death in the finale?
PUREFOY | He does, but you know – I think it’s quite interesting. Recently there’s been some reports in British medical journals that psychopaths may be able to feel empathy. They may be able to turn it on and turn it off at will. With Joe with Emma, he kind of turns it off when he finds out. He cauterizes in that way, emotionally, because she served a purpose to him. While she’s alive, she serves a purpose, which is she is a 100 percent loyal follower… As soon as she’s dead, she’s useless to him. It’s sad, but true.

TVLINE | Emma had a very Following-esque death – it seemed like she was just going to keep going, despite getting stabbed… and falling…
CURRY | [Laughs] It was like a zombie death, like ‘Remove the head or destroy the brain!’

TVLINE | And it was at Claire’s hand, which brought things full-circle.
CURRY | I always, personally, wanted Joe to be the one to kill Emma, but I understand why it was Claire… It’s a boon for the fans, that it’s Claire and that the good guys get a win.

RELATED | Fox Renews The Following and Three Other Series

TVLINE | Did you know you’d get that lingering shot at the end of the scene?
CURRY | My weirdly angelic… snow angel? No, but of course, I was happy to have had it.

TVLINE | A sneak peek at the finale shows that Joe and Ryan have to work together to thwart Luke from hurting Claire. What can you tell us about that partnership?
PUREFOY | What’s that movie with Robert DeNiro and Charles Grodin? [Editor's note: Midnight Run] It’s a little bit like that: There’s an element of ‘Your enemy’s enemy becomes your friend’… If Ryan needs to rescue the woman he loves from two equally appalling serial killers, then, hey – who’s to say you shouldn’t team up with somebody who might know a thing or two about serial killers?

TVLINE | Plus, the series has often reminded us of how much Ryan and Joe – if the circumstances were vastly different – could be great friends.
PUREFOY | When [Ryan] got caught at the Corbin compound, I felt that Ryan actually admired Joe in some way and enjoyed his company. Joe certainly enjoys Ryan’s company. If the writers were looking for a thread to play for Season 3, I certainly wouldn’t be averse to, every now and then, them teaming up together… if they both survive the end of this season.

1. topoopon says:

Team up? Like Hannibal Lechter and Clarrisse? Joe’s killed a LOT of people.

• ryan says:

So has Ryan. He doesn’t kill Joe because he thrives off of the Chase. He also likes to kill. He gets the excitement going after Joe. Killing Joe would kill him.

2. webly3 says:

I will be fine with the finale as long as Claire survives. It’d be incredibly dumb to bring Claire back 5 episodes ago and then kill her off. She is necessary for season 3. :(

• Liz says:

She’s not needed for Season 3. Quite frankly, Claire is the most annoying character on the series. I would be fine if this time she gets killed. She should have stayed home with her son. If she doesn’t get killed, then she should be sent back to witness protection and forgotten. Seriously, I don’t see what else the Claire character can honestly bring to the series.

3. spindae2 says:

I hope they end Joe’s story with this season. It’s about time! It wuld be a to big drag out to force it along season 3 aswell. Maybe have Joe as a back story, playing mind games but Joe on freedom would be a drag.

• yurie says:

No frikkin’ show has dragged on the final boss like Mentalist did. That is the main reason why the show hasn’t been renewed for Season 7 till now.

• David4 says:

I agree, Joe in jail and it turns out the “big bad” for the next season is a joe follower or something so Kevin Bacon and Joe can have more scenes together.

4. Emily says:

I loved Emma, and I think she was probably the most interesting character on the show. At this point, I feel like they should just get rid of everyone. Have next year just be Ryan, Max, and Weston investigating a new cult or case (maybe even the one that Deb was in season 1). Get rid of Claire and Joe. As much as I love the twins, I don’t see them making it out of the finale.

5. EJ says:

Emily, I actually thought that Joe should have been killed, once and for all, in the season finale with Emma taking his place as The Leader next season. It wasn’t to be. Ah, well.

6. my best friend’s mother makes $71 an hour on the computer . She has been without a job for six months but last month her pay check was $13147 just working on the computer for a few hours. visit this site right here…………..
    W­­W­­W­.J­­O­B­S­3­3­3­­.­C­O­­M

7. Hannah says:

Next season will be very meta: me hunting the writers, and Ryan does nothing cause he agrees they deserve it (it’s half documentary/half fiction).

8. Rob says:

I could envision Joe & Ryan being hunted by the FBI, maybe Mike who felt betrayed and Max wanting to take her uncle alive. At the same time being hunted by the serial killers Lily auditioned and DR Strauss taught.

Although I’d prefer to see Mike and Ryan as bad cop, worse cop chasing the serial killers DR Strauss trained and Lily auditioned getting information from Strauss & one of the twins. Throw in stability with Ryan & Claire and a romance between Max & Mike and season 3 would be everything I want from the show.

9. Anthony says:

Who is in the car!!

10. Lady says:

I was sad to see Emma go as well and yes Claire is the most annoying character on the show. because she chose to come out of protective custody away from her son I thought that she would die.Somehow Joe should have got his son back and Emma would raise him as her own. Now the struggle would be for Ryan to try and get the Joes son away from Emma and the battle continues between Joe and Ryan. The twist would be the FBI agent Mike becomes a follower and his test was to sacrifice father and take over while Joe is in prison planning his escape because the electric chair Joe will never see. Don’t forget one twin survived so things become the battle of the crazies.

11. Lady says:

Oh and who drove up in the truck to pick the twins up at the very end???

But I love the show

12. Well I must say I love this show. I have watched all in one week and am totally excited to see Season 3. Now I must say one thing. This show has been a little predictable up till now in terms of who dies and shows up again later in the show. My husband was only up to the end of Season 1 and said I bet Jo’s ex comes back. She did of course. So hopefully Emma will not come back. To predictable. LOL I still love this show! Thanks!

13. boskie says:

What would be a crazy spin would be if Ryan was the twins father. lol Ryan having a altered personnality. Would be crazy but would be interesting. The twins did say they was following ryan watching him.