Ratings: S.H.I.E.L.D. and Voice Slip, Supernatural and About a Boy Rise, Glee Ties Low

Agents of SHIELD RatingsMarvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. this Tuesday drew 6 million total viewers and a 1.9 demo rating (per finals), adding a few eyeballs versus last week’s special 9 o’clock airing but down two tenths in the demo.

RELATED | May Sweeps Scorecard 2014: Deaths, Weddings, Births, Sex, Resurrections, Firings and More!

Capping ABC’s night, leading out of sitcom reruns, Celebrity Wife Swap (3 mil/0.9) ticked down in audience and in the demo.

Elsewhere….

NBC | The Voice (11 mil/2.8) dipped 7 percent and two tenths, hitting a series-low demo; About a Boy (7.2 mil/1.9) added some eyeballs and a tenth in the demo; and Growing Up Fisher (6 mil/1.5) was flat.

RELATED | The Voice Top 12 Results Recap: Did the Right Contestants Get Cut?

FOX | Glee (2.5 mil/0.9) added a handful of viewers but ticked down to match its series low demo. Coming out of a New Girl repeat, The Mindy Project (2.1 mil/1.0) stayed steady.

RELATED | Glee Recap: ‘Tonight, You Are a Star’

THE CW | Though The Originals (1.42 mil/0.6) ticked down in audience and in the demo (hitting a series low), Supernatural (2.2 mil/0.9) rose 37 percent and two tenths.

1. sarah says:

So Originals seems to not be doing was good now that Rebekah has left.

• Just Sayin' says:

So despite the fact that every CW show has dropped in the last couple of weeks compared to the Fall numbers, not to mention the fact that most shows on most networks hit lower numbers at this time of year, Claire Holt’s departure is the actual reason why The Originals is down? Interesting…

• aunni says:

among renew shows on CW the two show that CONSTENTLY losing audience is TVD n TO. other shows like SP which gained audience, arrow n regin are kind of steady. even The 100 is doing better. interesting…

• Just Sayin' says:

Don’t get me wrong. I think both TVD and TO lost focus halfway through the season. There was a lot of treading water with the doppelganger storyline for one. I actually expected both shows to suffer somewhat with having to split the cast of one show into two. It reminded me of when Buffy and Angel went their separate ways. Buffy season 4 and Angel season 1 both suffered from having to find a new balance.

So I don’t dispute that both shows need to find new ground. I do think that that this idea that The Originals will live or die based upon Rebekah is ridiculous though. And I also think that the ratings issue is being highly exaggerated due to the summer drop off.

• aunni says:

not at all, i was not necessarily pointing rebekah. i dont watch TVD anymore (watch s1 dvd n live 2-4) n was not interested in originals. but keep an eye on ratings. i have no idea what is happening on both shows. im watch arrow which also suffered by losing audience not bc of summer drop, bc arrow for a couple of episode lost it focus from oliver and the core team arrow.

• Mark says:

What is amazing is without a strong lead in — also showing on the hardest night of the week Star crossed has stayed stable and isn’t loosing any eyeballs. Now if it had the advertising the 100 had or a strong lead in maybe it wouldn’t be up for the chop as its numbers aren’t that far off these shows that have been renewed makes one think doesn’t it.

• Zayne says:

While I don’t speak for anyone else, I personally just cancelled my series recording of The Originals yesterday. I found very little to get excited about on the show after Rebekah left. Something has felt off and I don’t like Elijah’s direction. I gave them a couple episodes to keep me engaged after her departure but it wasn’t doing it for me.

• ... says:

Amen, Mark. CW stacked the deck against Star-Crossed and the show, while very low, has shown that it does have a loyal audience. It’s the type of show that has a lot of growth potential, but the network doesn’t seem interested in capitalizing on that or giving it a chance to succeed.

• kristine says:

Yes, I do think both TVD and TO have deteriorated since midseason. In terms of TVD, I think that the travelers/doppleganger has just not been very compelling. However, given that the show is already in its 5th year, I can understand that it may be difficult to keep coming up with storylines as riveting as seasons 1 and 2. I still like the characters though, and that plus force of habit have kept me watching. With TO, the ratings were already declining since midseason even before Rebekah left; but her departure has definitely exacerbated that drop. Ultimately, though, I think it is the storyline that’s the issue. Having these factions fight over New Orleans already seems tired and repetitive despite it only being the first season. Also, apart from Klaus and Elijah, I don’t find myself invested in any of the other characters or storylines. I still want to try and stick it out to the rest of the season, but I haven’t found myself needing to watch the episodes when they air anymore. Hopefully, they can turn it around by the season finale or next year before they lose any more viewers

• Mikael says:

The Originals seems like they packed too much into one season. You have Marcel vs. Klaus, The witches vs. vampires, the werewolves, Celeste. There’s too much going on. I also don’t think I can take another season of Marcel trying to take back New Orleans. I hope that’s resolved this year. It’s too boring.

• i think so, cause the originals turned out to be on of cw’s biggest hits this season, and its rating have been falling ever since claire left…it can also be because of the hiatus or the time of the year, but not IMO

• tv2day says:

For me I enjoy the show much less since Claire Holt left. I also enjoy vamp diaries much less since the originals left. Before Holt left originals for me was it. Now…

• dax says:

yesterday’s episode was just boring and sad.. and yes i wasn’t among the ones who thought sans-Rebekkah show would be a snoozefest , but i am afraid It is!

• Just Sayin' says:

Speaking as a big Rebekah fan, and a guy who adores Claire Holt, I’m not seeing what difference her being in recent episodes would have made. All these storylines would still have played out. Nothing is happening that wasn’t on the cards anyway. Would having Rebeka involved really have made any difference?

Like I said, I love both Claire and Rebekah and I hope she is back on a regular basis, even as a recurring character, but she wasn’t the only reason to watch the show for me. It’s a shame that so many people have had such a blinkered response to her decision to leave for a while.

2. Christina says:

Okay seriously, what’s wrong with the Nielsen viewers? SHIELD is awesome now and really needs to be rewarded for that.

• Well, it keeps getting adjusted up from the overnights every week so I am going to say that they have found their core audience for live viewing. Hopefully they’re smart and do everything in their power to get people to watch the first season during the summer hiatus. If they can some buzz going about the latter half of the season and get some people back, they can probably really grow the live viewership in a different timeslot next season. Going up against NCIS was a huge mistake and I think the bump they get from Live +3 shows that.

• tv2day says:

Shield just got to the okay level 3 weeks ago. There were 18 or so episodes of Saturday morning cartoon like storylines and bland characters. Many tuned out. I would just ffwd episodes most times. Kill off a few characters n get rid of the childlike happy hero music. Arrow is how it’s done. Wed episode was epic.

• Elyse says:

SHIELD was boring for the first part of the season. A lot of people didn’t bother to stick around to see it get “awesome”.

• Mikael says:

SHIELD is basically a whole new show since The Winter Soldier came out. They were clearly stalling until then, and I think it really hurt the show. I hope that people hear this and come back. I think it does really well in DVR ratings too. On another note, I’m SO glad that Skye was smart and figured Ward out. Most shows would drag that out WAY too long.

3. John Jacob says:

Glad to see About a Boy rising. My girlfriend loves it. I don’t mind that it’s a feel good show because it’s only 30 mins. It’s not long enough to become annoying and usually it’s pretty funny. Marvel last night was pretty boring in comparison to the last 3 weeks.

• gdv says:

Agreed that Marvel was boring last night compared to the last few episodes. Hopefully it will get its momentum back.

4. Kate says:

Seriously, SHIELD is awesome, I can only hope that the DVR ratings impact it (I also wonder if there is any sort of measure that factors in for both online watchers and marathoners because I know it is on a co workers’ summer list, she didn’t watch it at the beginning, tends to marathon shows, I am getting annoyed at her over Bates Motel which she watched the first season of but is not watching the second, and there are probably a lot of people who don’t feel like they can catch up now).

• Jax says:

If she isn’t a Nielsen viewer then it doesn’t matter what she does. Leave her alone and let her enjoy shows the way she wants to.

5. Betty says:

The Mindy Project was so good last night. Can’t wait to see what happens next!

6. Thilia says:

Everyone is connected through monitored streams through Cable and Satellite these days. Why don’t they use the data that comes through them to give accurate readings?

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Doesn’t tell you who (e.g. demo-wise, number of people) is watching. Plus: privacy concerns.

• Jax says:

Aside from everything else that was mentioned…using cable would give you an inaccurate count anyway. There could be 4 people in the room watching a show but the cable count would just register that the show was being watched not how many folks were watching it.

• Esaul says:

I do think they need to update their system to become more inclusive. I wouldn’t call their system outdated but with the digitsl age more people become aware of ratings and such.

7. The problem for SHIELD is that they are steady, but the audience is not growing despite the success of Cap 2. If there is no clear sign of growth, ABC is not going to deal with it much longer. It will most likely get a second season, but it will have to show that it can grow.

• Scooter Smith (@scoboot) says:

I would agree with you, except there is one small problem with your theory. This ABC (Disney) show can be (and has been recently) an hour long commercial for their upcoming and current Marvel (also Disney) movies. Not only is it the background of and hinting at major plot points of their money making device (box-office films), but it also serves as an OBVIOUS ad draw for the types of people who will watch those movies and these shows. It will be the perfect show to advertise X-Men: Days of Future Past (even though its produced and distributed by Fox), Guardians of the Galaxy, and any of the DC films coming up.

• Jax says:

It also has the highest young MALE viewership of any show on ABC. Do not underestimate the draw that has for advertisers.

• Ben says:

If it stays static around 1.8-2.0 in the demo, I don’t think it needs to show growth. In this day and age, that kind of rating warrants renewal.

• Mikael says:

Not to mention that Disney owns both ABC and Marvel, so it’s not costing them as much.

8. Leo says:

Sad that Glee’s opening night got a series low. Fantastic episode. A little too late to grab viewers after that blunder called Season 4. which is just a shame.
    Lea Michele does not deserve a 0.9 demo!

• Jase says:

And yet she got one. I can’t wait to hear how all the Klaine/Blaine/Daren haters justify low ratings for an episode that barely featured any Klaine.

• Kay says:

Rachel and Blaine is what they used to promote this episode and ratings of the new episode is usually a result of the previous one which in Glee’s case was Blaine/Klaine heavy.

• Jase says:

LMAO! Sounding just like the GOP trying to rationalize Obama’s re-election. Of course, DARREN is to blame for LEA’s episode sinking to a ratings low. You guys are ridiculous hahahaha.

9. Japp says:

Really bummed that Glee´s ratings for last night´s episode was so low. I guess more viewers would return to the series if they saw such a Season 1-esque episode! This is how Glee should always have remained! Oh well, maybe people will become aware of it.

10. LuLu says:

Glee was awesome last night, that episode was old school Glee, laughed, cried, and loved those songs, oh a special baby delivery. Rachel (Lea Michele) was insanely good, freaking woman can SING. Next week is a must watch for me, the promo for it hooked me when a talent again told Rachel “you have a face for radio” wow need to see what happens.

The Mindy Project just keeps getting better and better, last night episode was great. Possible new love internet (Tim Daly) I saw sparks flying. Oh the line about “I am not a boy I am a man” was so perfect and hot.

Missing my Cougar Town (please renew) and Rizzoli & Isles episodes.

Lost interest in SHIELD, it was an ok episode; preview for next week are interesting.

• Jase says:

Because aside from the hateful people on this site (whose numbers are thankfully low, they’re just loud and repetitive in the comments sections) not everyone wants Glee to revolve entirely around Rachel and not everyone hate Klaine/Blaine/Darren.

11. I.R.E. says:

That Emma character of Glee cannot get axed yet. She already gave birth to a child and I want to see Emma holding her child in public airing before it gets too late.

That “Focus On Men” situation on the Mindy Project may have gone too fast. The supporting cast needs to be fixed right away and adding two final characters in TMP’s main cast to make it a total of ten are 100% important, before it gets too late. One of them has to be an erratic young woman nurse, so Betsy, Jeremy and Tamara can be saved and get more interactive. The other of them has to be a cranky old man doctor, so Beverly can feel more relieved, young adult fans can surrender to both cranky old people and show better respect and it is the only way to increase more viewers and more ratings, containing both all men and older people.

12. Kim says:

I really like “About A Boy.” It’s such a fun show. Liked “Agents of SHIELD.” Why is Grant so hot when bad? And I liked the TARDIS/Simmons thing.

13. Dee says:

An angel-free episode does great in the ratings……. interesting.

And not even a really good episode, either :)

Just proves that the angel storyline on Supernatural is beyond played out.

14. Aries says:

Last night’s Glee was amazing! I know a lot of people DVR it and watch on other mediums as well.

15. Babygate says:

The lesson for SHIELD is that it does much better on the 9pm slot, which, if memory serves, was one of the biggest criticisms they got at the beginning of the season. The show has improved dramatically. Like, its become really good. Enough that I came back after I had decided to drop it. But I guess many are not as forgiving and just wrote it off. Glee’s ratings are a joke. Somehow these show runners continue to miss the point. NY was the best part of the first half of the season because of the Rachel/Santana/Kurt dynamic along with the introduction of Starchild. This new version of NY is terrible. After 5 seasons I’m officiallydone with Glee. I waited patiently for the focus to be on NY and for the Brittana reunion and those stories have turned into even bigger disappointments. Only hard core Rachel fans can love this train wreck. All 2.4 million and .9 rating of them. Sayonara, Glee.

• Scott says:

I don’t understand your comment on how has Glee become an “even bigger disappointment”. You wanted the focus on New York and the show’s given you that. My own interpretation of the plummeting ratings is that rather a lot of the audience did not want New York at all.

• KansasGuest says:

I’ve been saying that about SHIELD since day one of it’s premiere: DON’T cater to those who need to go to bed after the first hour of prime time! Not only are they going up against ratings-killers NCIS & THE VOICE; they are limited in the content they can show at that time. Screw the TV-PG rating. Move SHIELD to the 2nd hour, push the TV-14 themes as far as they will go, and the ratings will rise IMO. Shackling any Whedons to TV-PG content is a crime. The more twisted the mind games, the better the show; especially when you are addressing issues of morality, humanity, national security & the like.

16. woodyinho says:

wow Glee’s numbers are so low! I didn’t realize it was at the 2m level now.

17. Jase says:

Only Klaine can save Glee now. Oh how that must burn the asses of all the Klaine haters here. An episode built ENTIRELY around Rachel with almost no lines from Darren Criss/Blaine and the ratings come back a big old goose egg. Just like Fox News after Election Night 2012, you guys were rudely awakened in the middle of the night by reality.

• Kay says:

Klaine can’t save the show. Klaine from the episode before could be the reason fans didn’t tune in for this episode. btw Blaine and Rachel was who they used to promote the episode.

• Jase says:

So if the numbers go up next week when Blaine meets Shirley Maclaine, it will somehow be because of Rachel right? LMAO!!! This is so pathetic. You haters are self-parodic at this point.

• may says:

You should read more about ratings at Nielsen. Ratings of an episode are a reflection of the previous one. People liked an episode? No? Ratings goes down. Yes? Next episode will tickle. This is not rocket science. Besides, Glee lost its audience since last season and that was a Darren heavy season. You don´t like it. Fine, The numbers are out there, Just check

18. David4 says:

Fox prob only want 13 more Glee episodes now. Ouch.

• KansasGuest says:

Why does everyone cheer or moan for GLEE’s ratings? It’s last season has already been planned & outlined by Ryan Murphy for FOX. Ratings for current episodes don’t matter one bit because it was announced in October 2013 that next season is the last one for GLEE.

19. The Originals needs to be cancelled. It’s just gotten worse and worse each week.

20. R.O.B. says:

Not surprised that SHIELD is down a bit. Good show, but there are probably thousands of people that have the last few episodes sitting on their DVRs until they go see The Winter Soldier first. We were told that the crossover episode dealt with the fallout from Captain America – who wants the movie to be spoiled? So SHIELD is suffering in the ratings on account of people who may be waiting until they have the chance to drop $15 on the film. Irony.

• KansasGuest says:

You can still watch SHIELD without spoiling WINTER SOLDIER. There’s a lot of stuff in the movie that the SHIELD characters don’t know about, and aren’t connected to. The unique thing about SHIELD is that its delving into the fallout of the WINTER SOLDIER events on world security a lot more than the movie. WS has only the last 10 minutes of the movie to give an impression of what will happen. SHIELD is showing us what IS happening. If people want to wait, it’s their loss. It’s been 3 weeks since WS opened. What are people waiting for?

21. Ms Thing says:

Shield needs to do more drastic changes in their stories. Ward should kill Skye and then Coulson can kill Ward. That would make the show interesting.
    And Glee is so old news. Nobody cares anymore about the overrated Lea Michele and Klaine.
    I watched Supernatural and DVR’d About A Boy.

22. N tTVf says:

With the ratings for SHIELD essentially flat this past week, I guess that sets the scene for next Tuesday/April 29th and the return of Maria Hill [CS].

I have a good feeling that the ratings will spike next Tuesday, and when they do, we’ll know why. I watch SHIELD when I can, but next week’s episode is a ‘no miss’ proposition.

23. AprilD says:

Glad to see SPN is still rising. It’s like a monster that won’t die. Muahaha.