HIMYM: 13 Questions We Still Have About Ted's Future, Robin's Other Job, Bob Saget and More

During the course of How I Met Your Mother‘s final season, viewers got plenty of answers to the show’s biggest mysteries — The Mother’s name is Tracy! Barney’s job is PLEASE! — but we still have some burning questions from the series finale and past episodes.

RELATED | The How I Met Your Mother Series Finale: Share Your Thoughts and Grade It!

Our queries range from the specific (Who is #31?) to the bizarre (What about the pineapple?!) to the silly (What was with you-know-who’s hair faux pas?). We even found more mysteries in a still photo from (what’s likely) a deleted scene.

PHOTOS | HIMYM Series Finale: The Big Mother Reveal and 15 More Memorable Moments

Flip through the gallery to check them all out, and then head to the comments with your own Qs (and possibly some answers?).

1. Babybop says:

I have a question: Why was the ENTIRE last season focusing on a wedding between two people that got divorced in the first half hour of the finale?

• saif says:

thats how ted met the mother :)

• Tenney says:

That’s true, but they didn’t have to devote a whole season to Robin and Barney’s wedding in order for Ted to meet the mother. They could have done that in a couple of episodes. The whole season was focused on a wedding that ultimately meant nothing. What a waste.

For me, the only bright spot in the finale was the scene with Barney and his daughter. That was a beautiful scene.

• It wasn’t really focused on the wedding though. The wedding was just a catalyst that allowed a number of hanging threads in the characters lives come to fruitition. Very little of this seasons happenings were actually related directly to the wedding after all but without that wedding weekend a number of issues that caused a domino effect to happen that weekend wouldn’t have come to a head

• Jill says:

Well, from what your are saying, it seems like the entire show would have been a waste. They spent 9 seasons telling the story of how he met their mother but he could have told how he met their mother in one season, all of the things that took long times and that seemed useless just contributed to the show. For instance, the slap bet, that had nothing to do with how ted met their mother but the show spent multiple episodes on it and it just added something fun and special to the show.

• Amie says:

Exactly. As it paid off,the entire show was a waste.

• Ram510 says:

Because the show was also about the relationship between the 5 friends and finding their way through life. And much like in real life their were serious moments and silly ones.
            If they wanted to make something that was truly just about a man meeting the mother of his future kids they could’ve just made this in to some Jennifer Aniston movie and had it all wrapped up in an hour and a half but that’s bit what this was.
            What u don’t understand is why so many people who watched the finale don’t understand that?
            The finale was very well done. It has ups and downs and much like in real life, things don’t always end the way you’d think. Not everyone gets a fairly tale ending.

• Bob Smith says:

“What a waste.” The finale showed that not just the last season, but the entire series was a waste.

• RyanC says:

It’s pretty clear that they wrote the finale after 2am.

• Jknox11 says:

In the end the kids say that the story was not about how he met their mother but if it was okay if he could ask aunt Robin out. I think the fans wanted Ted and Robin to get together and the writers made it happen. Besides it has more meaning to me that they got together in the end since we know so much more about Robin.

• Annie says:

Thank you. This, and so much more. Here’s another question: “How in the name of all that’s holy could you ruin nine years of character development inside 40 freaking minutes?”

• Brooke says:

But we already know the answer to that one: by inflexibly clinging to an ending they filmed 9 years ago and refusing to evolve the ending along with he characters. Gah! What a ridiculous mess.

• R.O.B. says:

AGREED. Barney and Robin should have stayed together. That would have been a surprising twist. To make it fun, maybe they admit to the group that the agonizing decision that they made during their trip was whether to let everyone know they are both now working undercover together for the FBI or CIA or something. And since we all knew the mother was going to die, they could have pulled a fast one and had the mother appear in the room behind Ted to let him know her water just broke (unexpected baby). Or maybe an episode-wide hospital misdirection where we find out that Tracy was really just having twins after a risky pregnancy, and Ted finishes his story to the kids and she walks out with the twins. Could have been more fun.

• Daryl says:

Exactly. I think that’s one of the worst things about the finale–they knew the ending they wanted back in ’06, but haven’t written to that ending in the years since. Even with their contingency plans in the event of cancellation, they led further and further away from that ’06 ending, to the point that it just didn’t fit once they got there.

When I find myself invested in a show, immersed in the story, I can forgive quite a bit, particularly in a series finale, but this one just felt hollow and forced.

• Lerbert says:

I agree. Perhaps I’m wrong but wasn’t this series initially conceived with a finite endpoint, like a limited series? I was a big fan of the first few seasons which were spirited and fun but once it became clear the show was continuing on the basis of numbers instead of creative energy (I know some big-time fans will disagree) I lost interest. As many other folks have written, had the series ended this way after 4-6 seasons and a simple meet cute of the mother we probably would have been satisfied.

The dissonance created by the concept of dramatizing a weekend in narrative time over 7 months of viewer time is creating much of the dramz. We’ve invested 7 months in waiting for Robin and Barney’s wedding (again I know there are major Ted/Robin fans out there) and their marriage is over in 15 minutes? We’ve spent 7 months getting to know and like The Mother and barely by the time we’ve finished a bowl of ice cream she’s dead? Not to mention that The Mother who has been characterized as virtually faultless and super charming has been contrasted with Robin who has been written as Neurotic +++ for two seasons (and I am a fan of Cobie Smulders).

It’s not that those of us who have issues with the finale need the characters to climb in a glass carriage and Bibbity Bobbity Boo! and certainly many if not most episodic comedies have had problematic/trite/predictable endings. But as so many have written, the ending felt preordained for the initial conception of the show and didn’t hold true for how the characters and their chemistry evolved over the course of 9 seasons.

• Ashton says:

PREACH!

• Shannon says:

This!!!! Lazy, LAZY writing.

• Mai says:

All I know is they lost me for the spin-off….. worst ending ever. Barney changing for Robin was a great story line…… Now its how people settle and give up.

2. Rumor is that the pineapple question will be answered in the dvd of the season. So we won’t know until the fall.

• Tracie says:

Alyson Hannigan confirmed this in a tweet last night… the pineapple mystery will be solved in a DVD extra

3. CL says:

I definitely thought #31 would be revealed to be Robin. Oh well.

4. orhan94 says:

coming out of the finale the biggest question on my mind was… why do the producers of HIMYM hate us (the viewers)?

5. Daryl says:

14. IF anyone re-watches the finale, will we all be stopping the playback after the umbrella scene and Ted saying, “That’s how I met your mother”?

• knd says:

that’s my plan!

• There’s a cut on YouTube that shows that. Goes from there to the credits.

• Babybop says:

Thank you for telling me this- I just watched it. It was perfect. I’m pretending in my head that that’s how it ended.

• For fans of the premise of the show, it’s the perfect ending. For fans that specifically wanted Ted and Robin to end up together, what came next is their perfect ending.

• Diva says:

So not true. Just because it didn’t end the way you wanted it to end you guys are in an uproar. The only thing I think they went wrong on is spending a whole season on the wedding.

• You think that because you wanted Robin and Ted to end up together. The wedding is only a “mistake” if they don’t. If Robin and Barney had stayed together, then the wedding wouldn’t be a mistake at all.

• Daryl says:

It’s not about how I/we “wanted” it to end, Diva. Not for me at least…not directly. My “wants” for the finale were directly born of the story that was told in the preceding 9 seasons. By the time we reached those final few minutes, the characters were not the same people they were in ’06 when the kids’ final scenes were filmed, so those final minutes were incongruent with who the characters had become. So much so, that the scene felt tacked on and as is it belonged to another show entirely or a bad SNL parody of the finale. As someone I follow on Twitter said, the reason Ted told his kids the story was logical, but not rewarding to the audience. It’s all about delivery, and they bungled the delivery.

• Diva says:

@Michael Sacal ummm no the wedding was a mistake from the beginning. You could go back to the time Tvline made the announcement that this season was going to be about two days and see how many people hated that idea. And those people were himym fans not only ted and robin fans. Now if I asked you what would you rather see 2 days worth for a whole season and the last 40 mins talk about the future or an episode about the wedding and the rest of the seaon see how Ted actually dates the mother so it could actually make an impact instead of a throw away line and also what happens in the future that lead to ted wanting robin in the end.

@Daryl I totally agree with you I think the delivery was really bad but the idea was true because I had to think about it. They kept shoving Robin and Ted down my throat and yes I will admit I wanted them together but at the same time I knew it couldn’t happen so I wanted the writers to stop shoving it in my face. But it kept occurring right up to the wedding and in the finale we found out it even happened afterwards. So now knowing what we know, I feel like it totally makes sense now–why they kept going back to each other.

• Once Ted meets the Mother, that’s when the show should fade to black. That was the goal of the series, the premise upon it was built. The idea of Ted dating the Mother for an entire season is better suited for a show titled “How I Dated Your Mother”. That would make more sense if they had met in the first episode (i.e. if Robin was the Mother and the show followed them from being friends to getting married, etc). But that wasn’t THIS show. Everything that happened after Ted met the Mother on the platform was designed for fans of the first two seasons that wanted him and Robin to end up together, it was done in service to a scene they filmed seven-eight years ago and not in service to where the characters and the narrative ended in last week’s episode.

• Diva says:

@Michael Sacal See there lies your problem. You are too focused on the title and take it too literally. Ted was telling this story. Ted made up the name of this story and Ted got the name wrong he also has gotten things in the story wrong before so this isn’t impossible. You should think about what you just wrote. How I met your Mother is a misnomer, it’s clearly not what this story is about. If How I Met Your Mother was a book that you just glanced at the cover, you literally, judged a book by its cover.

• Cyndi says:

PERFECT ending for me…except, ONE thing…I want to know WHO #31 is…lol

• Brad says:

Nope,going to watch the ending that the creators of the show wanted not the made up ending that some of the fans wanted. When you want a show to end a certain way than create your own show. The ending was perfect just the way it was.

• Daryl says:

Had the characters not progressed beyond where they were in 2006 when the kids’ portion of the end was filmed, I might agree with you. But, they moved well beyond that, to a point at which they didn’t belong in those final few minutes. Bays and Thomas would have been better served by filing the kids’ dialogue that we saw, as well as others, including one generic enough to be used with any twists and turns that the story took that led away from that one ending. Why, hanging everything on that one ending was even quite a gamble, assuming that Cobie would be on the show for the duration. (Good thing for their ending that Joss Whedon’s Wonder Woman movie was scrubbed all those years ago, since he’s stated he had her in mind for the role.) Instead, to fit that one ending, it was necessary to dismantle 9 seasons of character growth and story progression – including the creation of the delightful Tracy. The ending didn’t feel earned…it felt like the preceding 35-ish minutes were bashed with a sledgehammer to make it fit with a conclusion that didn’t apply to the people these characters became.

Filing = filming ^

• canadian17 says:

THIS. This is everything I’ve been thinking.

• Because nice people never get sick in real life? I think Tracey had a good life. She had two great loves, managed to become a very well-regarded author, had two beautiful kids and spent her final years of life in a warm, loving environment. You can see from Vesuvius that she dearly wanted Ted to move on when she passed away, and not just to mourn her forever. Not everybody lives to 90, but while her life was cut-short in her mid-30s, she was happy.

• taran63 says:

You saying that the ending was perfect does not make it perfect. I, in fact, detested it.
        However, maybe the ending was perfect FOR YOU. In which case, congrats. I’m glad you enjoyed it.

• Bob Smith says:

Some??? Sorry, Brad, but I believe YOU are in the minority, not us. The ending sucked, and deep down, you know that.

• the brad says:

lol so you know how i feel deep down? kind of presumptuous of you don’t you think? i guess i just know stories that have ended just the way this did in real life that it resonated with me. People who have lost loved ones and then reconnected with former loves in their later lives. My point is that the writers wanted to tell a story and they told that story. They told the story of Ted and that’s how they envisioned his life . Just because you might have liked Teds life to have gone another way doesn’t make the ending bad or wrong.

• Daryl says:

What does make it a bad ending, though, is the sudden leap we’re asked to make in those final minutes. We’re not shown any further progression in the characters that would lead them back together. We’re given 9 seasons’ worth of development showing why they don’t work as a couple, we’re given development and characters that make for better matches for both of them. Then, that development is simply ignored to shoehorn in an 8 year old ending. No further development for either Ted or Robin, just a story that makes Robin look selfish and somewhat manipulative (she only wants the men she can’t have…when she can/does have them, she doesn’t want them) and Ted appear to have “settled” for Tracy while carrying a torch for Robin for a quarter of a century.
            Sure, real life diesnt always have a tidy, happily-ever-after ending. But a sitcom isn’t real life.

• A says:

What Daryl said. After two days of processing the ending, I’m realizing that part of the problem is I’ve spent the last few seasons waiting for Ted to move past Robin and realize she isn’t right for him. No sooner do we reach that point than hey, guess what? Tracy died and and Ted does end up with Robin!

• Brooke says:

There were scenes after that one? Are you sure? My brain is already blocking out traumatic memories. ;)

• Sean says:

I guess to people like this, nothing bad has ever happened in their lives. They can make up their own endings to anything they want.

People, get a grip. This is a television show. The writers tell their stories, not our stories. Would I have liked Ted and Tracy to be together at the end, ABSOLUTELY, but I think that the ending made perfect sense over the course of the last nine years.

These characters–characters…not real people–have entertained us “fans” (which apparently I need to use loosely) for the last nine years. The finale cannot change that. They might not have entertained you that episode, but that suddenly doesn’t change the course of the show.

Go ahead and use your magic remote to make the ending change. Me, I will continue to be thankful to have been a fan of the show the whole time with no regrets

• Brooke says:

I don’t understand why a fan, in your definition, must be uncritical of all the decisions the writers make? If someone enjoyed the show for the 9 freaking years it was on, how are they not fans? We KNOW it is just a TV show, we’re not idiots. But the writers wrote wonderful things that made us emotionally invested – that’s their job.

• Tookie Clothespin says:

Being critical and not enjoying something is one thing. Grading the finale an “F” and talking about how it taints 9 seasons worth of TV and ruined your favorite TV show forever and coming up with fan edited endings because the show didn’t end how you wanted it another thing entirely. My personal opinion is that people become too heavily invested in these shows and instead of sitting back and enjoy being told a story they start to demand that the story go how they want it to go. And to me there is a lot of that happening here. In between the superfan hysteria there are some very valid criticisms of the episode. Believe me, I found it far from perfect. But, there is way more childlike hyperventilating going on than anything else.

• wow201102 says:

@Tookie Clothespin: If you watched the alternate ending, you’d know all it really did was cut out the scenes with ted talking to his kids at the end. That’s it. WOW HUGE CHANGE, OMG! HERESY! CALL THE FAN POLICE. It also goes to show, really, how one small difference would have made the entire episode so much better and likable for so many people without having to rewrite the entire episode or the entire series. But you consider that hysterical?

• Daryl says:

Tookie, while it hasn’t quite reached that point for me, I can understand how the ending can color the entire series for someone, both from a production and story perspective. From a production perspective, those final few minutes can make all of the twists and turns and character progression seem pointless, as it was necessary to hit the proverbial reset button on characterization to force in an 8 year old ending. From a story perspective, only going by what we see in 208 episodes of the show, it makes Ted look bad and emotionally dishonest…it makes his growth as he looks for The One invalid as – again, based only on what we were actually shown – he shed nary a tear for The One, only to have his kids be more than happy to enthusiastically point him towards a woman he’d had multiple failed romantic relationships with and who he apparently carried a torch for for 25 years, even during his relationship with their mother.

• Tookie Clothespin says:

Daryl, I understand what you are saying but, you are not taking into account the method of storytelling. He is ultimately telling his kids this story so why would he make them relive what, I am assuming, is the worst moment of their lives. He skips over the death of the mother because he doesn’t want to relive it and he doesn’t want the kids to relive it. I think that I am beginning to see why I see it the way that I see it and others see it in another light. I always looked at HIMYM like a television series version of one of my favorite movies, Big Fish. The story that you are getting has the bare bones of the truth but the bulk of the story is embellishment on the story tellers part. So, I never took it all at face value. People look at the past through rose colored glasses so, when ever Ted spoke about the mother as the love of his life I always took that as he loved her and never wanted to be with anybody else while he was with her. But, it didn’t mean that he could never love another. Others seem to take the story at face value and to them that seems to mean that Ted can only end up with the mother no matter what. To each his own I suppose.

• Daryl says:

Sorry, Tookie, but I think that’s an escape hatch leading nowhere. While the narrative conceit of the show was Future Ted telling the story to his kids, and it was occasionally used to good effect (“sandwiches,” anyone?) trying to say that we weren’t shown the development that led them back together because “that’s how Ted told the story” is glossing over the fact that Ted told the story that way because that’s how he was written telling the story. Bays and Thomas *knew* this was their endgame for 8 years without writing to it. Then they crafted 35 minutes (give or take) of a series finale that continued down that path divergent from the 8 year old endgame. Would it have been “too painful” for Ted and the kids if he said, “I was a wreck for a year when we lost her”? Or, to have a scene with Tracy in the hospital making Ted promise that he won’t be afraid to continue living when she’s gone, like she was when she lost Max? Or to show Ted having his own variation on Tracy’s “conversation” with Max asking permission to move on?
            All of the storytelling decisions have been made by the writers. All along, they’ve given us the parts of the story that were (supposedly) vital to getting us to the end (whatever that might have been)…but they made the conscious decision to leave out what was necessary to reach the Ted/Robin endgame in an emotionally honest and rewarding way.

• Tookie Clothespin says:

Daryl, they did have that in a previous episode when the mother told Ted to live his life and not get lost in his stories. Now that we know that she was dying then we know that was her telling Ted to go on with his life. The parts that you want are there if you put the story together as a whole and not just look at this episode as a standalone story.

• Daryl says:

Let’s run with that for a moment, Tookie…even at that, we’re still dealing with a problem of structure. That scene from “Vesuvius” would be better served closer to or in the finale, or referenced in the finale–
            “Kids, remember how your mom told me to” (insert clip of Tracy telling Ted to live life forward and not get trapped in his stories) “but I did. (Cue montage from the entire series) “Telling you this story, going all the way back to long before I met your mother…it’s like I was trying to reset the clock, to recapture all of that time, savoring all those moments leading up to that meeting and everything it – and she – meant to my life. But, she was right…I can’t live in those stories, and I need to move forward. Just like Marshall did when he lost his dad. Just like your mom did when she lost Max.”
            But then, if we as viewers have the focus put that closely on the message of “it’s ok to move on…don’t trap yourself in the past,” is it really that satisfying to see Ted “move forward” by retreating 25 years and going back to Robin yet again? In the exact same manner as he did the first time?
            More poor structure by Bays and Thomas to shove the characters into an ending that didn’t fit any longer.

• Daryl says:

You’re right, the finale doesn’t change the course of the show. But the course of the show should have changed the closing minutes of the finale. Knowing they were working towards this – and only this – ending, there were abundant opportunities to write to it. Instead, we were treated to character growth and progression, the introduction of a wonderful new character in Tracy, a charming love story (glimpsed only briefly), and then, *bam*, “Oh, by the way, Tracy died six years ago and Ted’s been hung up on Robin for 25 years and counting.” At the end of the day, it just wasn’t honest.

• Ted was not hung up on Robin for 25 years! He let her go when he gave Barney the locket. He gave up on her completely at that time, and committed unreservedly to Tracey and they spent over a decade together in marital bliss, with the in-universe accounts showing he barely even saw Robin during all of that time. Then, six years after becoming a widower, maybe he got to thinking about his past again. Both Robin and he are extremely different people in 2030 and most of the things that broke them up the first time and now non-issues. It sounds completely reasonable to me, unless you adhere to the fairytale BS that everyone only gets one ‘love’ and once you find them, you live in serenity until you’re 100 together.

• Daryl says:

Floodlit, the problem there, which I’ve mentioned a few times, is that they didn’t show us any of that additional development, so they didn’t earn that ending. For 9 seasons, we’ve heard Future Ted painting an awesome picture of The Mother as his perfect match. We’ve seen multiple times how Ted and Robin are a mismatch, no matter how hard they try to make it work. Season 9 introduced us to Tracy herself, and thanks to great writing and a superb performance, we see that, yes, she is perfect for Ted and has been well worth the wait and all the heartache that Ted went through. Episode 200, with the focus on Tracy’s previous 8 years, even went to far as to introduce the idea that you can move on and love again after the death of your loved one…an idea that was never touched on again. We saw no grieving on Ted’s part. We saw no rekindling of the embers between Ted and Robin. We saw that perfect first meeting…then a passing reference to Tracy “getting sick” and the kids saying, “She’s been dead six years. It’s obvious you’re in love with Robin. Go get ‘er, Tiger.” The problem is that, knowing they were going with that ending come hell or high water, they didn’t write to that ending since filming it. After showing us the characters evolving to a point where that ending didn’t fit them, they diet show us any further evolution that would bring them back to that point, they just expected us to accept that, with a wave of the hand about Tracy “getting sick,” we’d accept that two people repeatedly shown as incompatible as a couple would now be compatible.
            I think, in part, they didn’t plan on capturing lightning in a bottle when they cast Cristin Milioti. Her performance combined with the material they have her did what it was supposed to do…let us see what was so special about Tracy. But perhaps did it TOO well, to the point that, without seeing any sort of grieving process in Ted, his own “c

• Daryl says:

(Stupid accidental clicking of “post”)

…his own “conversation with Max,” or even Tracy on her deathbed saying, “Don’t be afraid to live like I was after Max.” A callback to Ted and Robin’s “if we’re 40 and single” pact. Something…ANYthing to show us why jumping from Point A to Point Q is emotionally honest for the characters we’ve seen them grow into.

• Bob Wright says:

I would add one more scene after the umbrella, at the end of the credits (movie style) – Tracy emerges from the kitchen – “Ted, are you boring the kids with that sappy old story AGAIN? Now, who wants sumbitches???”

• JLK says:

That’s the ending I proposed awhile back. :)

• Shuayb says:

This! Thats how I wanted it to end too!!! I hate that in a show where they stretched reality they went with the most real life scenario.
        I mean the fact that he had to tell them the story after the mother died is just heartbreaking.

• So you’ll just ignore all of the other indicators before the finale that Tracy wasn’t around anymore?

6. Jack says:

Wasted sooo much time on the wedding only to cram 4 or 5 episodes worth of story into one hour long episode? What’s up with that?

7. Babar says:

Hey Vlada, where did you get the photo of Ted and The Mother in the Limo?

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

CBS Press Site posted a billion new pics this morning. –Not Vlada

• Babar says:

Thanks Matt. I’ll go check them out.

• N tTVf says:

Did you find the additional pictures on CBS Press Site? Were they on cbs.com/himym, or somewhere else? I checked cbs.com, but did not find very many for this ‘Last Forever’ episode photos, so perhaps I went to the wrong place.

I did various ‘photo/pic’ searches on Google/Bing/Yahoo’, and did find a very interesting pic regarding the Ted/Robin summit in 2024(?) It was a ‘reverse’ shot of that scene that now showed Carter Bay and Craig Thomas standing in the picture, just out of ‘camera range’, and had JR and CS sitting down at the table next to CT/CB. I suspect that was a photo taken by one of the crew during rehearsal.

So, I guess that does answer one of the mysteries of that scene – it was indeed Ted (and not someone else) sitting in that empty chair across from Robin – that photo was of him getting up out of his chair (his meal half eaten), probably getting ready to leave.

• N tTVf says:

I just found it – cbs.press.express.com. Thanks Matt (and Babar).

8. JAM says:

Wild but plausable guesses on the smoking question (based on the dates): Robin’s quitting would have been somewhere around the wedding date and Barney’s somewhere around the birth of his daughter.

9. Do we really need to know all that?! The point was finding The One for Ted. And that happened.

10. Julie says:

And I thought we saw a preview of NPH wearing short shorts for his final scene. Did I miss that?

11. LuLu says:

1) What happen to Robin sister during the Wedding? 2) Wasn’t the first look when is a the bar not sitting down ready to leave?

12. Nick says:

Why didn’t Robin have time for Barney but she had five dogs?

13. Annie-Claude says:

I’m actually glad they didn’t say what Tracy died from. It doesn’t matter, she was sick and the specifics aren’t important, it makes it more relatable, in my opinion.
    And Ted said that, to this day thy still didn’t know anout the pineapple. He doesn’t know when he tells the story, so I hope that if that is the mystery that’ll be resolved in the dvd, that it happens after hes done tellig the story.
    But I am really curious about all the other questions.

14. B.P. says:

Out of all of those, I would like a Bob Saget explanation the most.

15. Sasha says:

I would like to know the answers to a few of those questions myself

16. nel says:

This finale was a big slap to the face. It was disappointing and it destroyed almost every character on the show. I don’t know why the writers went through all that to end it up like this. And to think some people spent nine years following this show…

17. Bryan says:

I really want to know about #7

18. Lisa says:

Marshall and Lily’s third baby was a girl. The reason Lily and Marshall gave up the apartment was lack of room. I think it was Marshall who said when the baby was born they would have to stick her crib in the bathroom if they stayed.

19. mg714 says:

One of my questions is why was Ted wearing a wedding ring in Trilogy Time (2015) and Unpause (2017) yet the finale says he didn’t get married until 2020? They obviously messed that up when they were writing the finale. Clearly they meant for them to be married already but for whatever reason decided to throw in another twist in the finale that they weren’t yet married for a long time. That is bad storytelling – and I’m not even talking about the ending itself.

• Colette says:

Agreed. They didn’t even have the continuity straight from THIS season.

• Toni says:

I agree! That didn’t make sense to me!

• JLK says:

I wondered that too. So many little annoying things that show they just knew the end shot they wanted, but not the path to getting there, which is fine, don’t get me wrong. I know when you’re writing something you’re going to have a general outline and things will grow and change as they get fleshed out, but they should at least have the big things straight for cryin’ out loud.

• Nick says:

I suppose its a reminder of their engagement. It states in the finale that they were engaged 5 years before the wedding, 2015 – 2020, makes some sense.

20. jessica says:

why was ted wearing a wedding ring during the scene in “the trilogy” when they flash forward to 2015 if he wasn’t yet married?

21. Babar says:

I am disgusted that Carter and Craig have refused to do interviews after the finale.

22. lmc04 says:

Shouldn’t Ted have asked Barney if he could date Robin? Isn’t that part of the Bro Code?

• Babar says:

That’s part of the open ending I guess

• Michelle says:

Did Barney ask Ted before sleeping with Robin the first time? No.

• wow201102 says:

That was different. For one thing, getting together with an ex-wife is more serious than an ex-girlriend. Then there’s the fact that Ted was genuinely shown to have moved on with Stella at that point, whereas Barney has not moved on with anyone and was still shown to be deeply affected by even mere mentions of Robin. Finally, and most importantly, Barney did not intend to hook up with Robin the first time. It was something that just happened between them in the heat of the moment, and they both knew it was wrong and felt guilty about it and apologized profusely. Barney even let Ted punch him in the nuts! When Barney decided to pursue Robin romantically for real, however, he did make it a point to ask Ted if he was okay with it before telling her how he felt. Ted should show him the same respect here, at the very least.

• Cris says:

Barney slept with Robin not even a year after TR break up. He broke the code. I can’t see how an ex-wife tops an ex-gf. Isn’t everything about friendship and confidence?

Why Ted needed to ask Barney for permission after 10 years? Barney decided to pursue Robin, assumed Ted was okay because he told Robin, but hell he didn’t know Ted that much, because Ted wasn’t okay. He just wanted Robin to find happiness even if it crushed him.

But you know, maybe Ted will allow Barney to kick him in the nuts and they’ll be fine.

• Daryl says:

Ted had “genuinely moved on with Stella?” After those final few minutes, can we really trust that Ted has ever “genuinely moved on” from Robin with anyone…including Tracy?

• Jill says:

Barney did move on, maybe not with another girlfriend but with another girl. He finally found all the love he needed in his daughter

23. DJ Doena says:

Everyone was dead from the start and New York is purgatory!

24. Amy says:

I thought, for #11, that his perfect match was a random dermatologist. He went to see her and she was getting married in like a week and he never told her they were a perfect match instead of her fiance…. right?

• Brian says:

Amy, I think you are right… I thought he had a 90-something percent match with her and went to her office and found out she was getting married to her 80-something percent match (her fiancé)…

• Jim says:

No. He got a call from the new owner of Love Solutions in episode 121. He missed the date because Lily needed to get rescued to go to her interview for the San Francisco thing. At the end of the episode he is determined to get Robin again and never meets his perfect match.

• Brian says:

Oh, yeah, that’s right. Thanks for the reminder, Jim.

• Amy says:

oh yea…. ok. Well now I want to who she is too! :)

• Jules says:

I can´t tell which episode it is, but I think it was clearly stated that the perfect match was the mother. There were even pixeled pictures of her shown and we got a short description of her. Pity that this was not mentioned in the final…

25. Steggysmcp says:

I for one was very satisfied with the ending, I loved the fact that the whole thing was about him asking the kids if it was ok to move on from their mother and if it was ok to go back to his first love. I loved that Barney found his one true love. It seems that in this day and age we don’t want the faiytale ending, we don’t want our main characters to finish happy! It had its flaws and of course during 9 seasons not every single little detail is gonna fit 100%. But after 9 seasons of watching, satisfied I was!

• Daryl says:

I’m not quite sure how preferring Ted have a happy ending with Tracy, tailor-made by the writers to be Ted’s perfect other half and played quite charmingly classified as “not wanting the fairy tale ending.” It HAD a fairy tale ending, until those final moments.

• b says:

I agree, this was as much a fairy tale ending as tracy being alive. HIMYM is a romcom at its core and with that there was a typical romcom ending, so typical in fact that there is already a movie just like this (Definitely, maybe). Its one of the most cliche themes, where the guy ends up with ‘the one that got away.’

• Brooke says:

How is the end where the delightful Mother dies the fairytale ending??

26. mikey says:

If Ted drove to Farhampton in his station wagon, why did he take the train home?

27. DJ Doena says:

You want a bitter-sweet ending? Take Chuck. Sarah didn’t have her memory back and it was uncertain if she ever would. But if you believed strong enough you could imagine her getting them back or just falling in love with Chuck all over again.

You don’t go around having a guy lust after a woman only to realize he has to let her go, get married to some girl and after said girl sadly dies proclaiming “to hell with it” and running back to said girl with whom it never worked out before.

That’s like “season 8 Lana Lang” all over again.

• Brooke says:

Plus there were several hints Sarah was regaining her memories, including finding her way to that beach in the final scene. I thought that the writers left enough clues to tell us they would be okay in the end. It was a well done bittersweetness. HIMYM was cruel.

• Dwigt says:

I had the very same thought. Chuck had to burn through stories and characters, as the show was perpetually on the verge of cancellation, or got an order for 13 episodes, then the back nine after the whole season had been mapped, which made for unsatisfying moments during season 3 and particularly season 4, but they managed to deliver a great finale. The last minute twist that Sarah was now an amnesiac but was ready to fall in love again with Chuck, with the clues she may recover part of her memories, felt true to the spirit of the show, not the thoughts of two guys with OCD who want to keep perfect symmetry with the pilot.

28. Boiler says:

Actually if they would have had a decent season, and I say that knowing the real ending, I would hope most of these questions would be answered. Maybe the DVD will be an alternate SEASON!!

29. Sandra Lindström says:

I also wonder what happened to Lily’s career. Did she ever pursue her artistry? Or at least a career in art?

• Brooke says:

Who cares about Lily’s career? Haven’t you noticed? Apparently the end moral we’re supposed to take from this show’s finale is that women are for makin’ babies! Robin has to be unhappy so that Barney can be free to go have some random unnamed woman make his baby. Lily is making Marshall’s babies. Tracy exists to give Ted his babies and then she DIES with nary a tear from those babies.

This sudden sexist woman-as-babymaker about-face is QUITE disappointing for a show that had a happily-committed yet unabashedly horny woman (destroying the sitcom tropes) as well as an infertile woman who didn’t want kids, mourned her infertility for a few moments, and then went on to be happily child-free, fulfilling life (according to Ted in that episode).

• pam says:

This bothered me so much. Lily was just popping out babies, robin only seemed to want reliable ted when he was finally over her and moved on and tracy died without getting any sort of a proper send off. Barney and Ted lost leaps and bounds of character growth, really the only character who wasn’t disappointing was marshall….but even then I don’t see why they had to circle back to him being stuck in corporate law

• joe says:

they really painted robin in an unfriendly light, have you noticed the pattern where she repeatedly falls for a guy when they are no longer pining after her and have moved on to someone else? It happened with Ted/Victora, Barney/Nora, Barney/Patrice (as a joke) and Ted/Tracy

30. Brian says:

I thought that TVLine posted an article a while back that was an interview with the creators some and they (the interviewees) claimed the pineapple mystery would be solved in this final season…. The pineapple mystery and why Bob Saget narrated until the final narration are the only real questions I am left with…

31. mandy says:

At this point, I don’t really care. The finale was crap. I’m not at all interested in their answers.

32. Bryan says:

One of my biggest issues with individuals saying the finale was great is the fact that they say life isn’t a fairytale. If the mother died and then it cut to that train platform it would have been so poignant. I actually hated the idea of the mother being dead but it actually was okay. That is life not being a fairy tale and it conveys an actual message. However, Ted gets happy ending in taking that blue horn to Robin’s house. That is way more sappy and sentimental than the other ending. My issue is carter and bays disregard for their writing the last couple seasons. Just smashing that Ted And Robin don’t work and that Barney and Robin do, only to change everything in the finale. The kids scene was shot and they had no out. A show about all this timeline is so poor in continuity is terrible and it has to go on the creators. Even worse is that they have both come and twitter and attempted to try and make it seem as though they are happy that the fans have such passion when in reality they are trying to save face because the split of not liking the finale and liking it is about 80 to 20 now. I kind of feel bad that it’s not going to give HIMYD a chance because there is a ton of people that already aren’t going to follow them to their new show. Kind of sad.

• I could’ve been in terms with the “plot twist” ~the mother was dead all along~, but Robin? AGAIN? The story could’ve been of him telling all that to ask permission to his kids to start dating again, but Robin? Leaves the impression that the Mother was not that important if he was back to his lifetime obsession, who we spend years and years learning how bad they were together and that she never loved him the same way.
      If they were keeping that endind, they should have ended the series in season 3 or 4. It would have made more sense. And they should never have introduced the Mother, letting us know how perfect she was, and making us fall in love with her.

• LSJ says:

I disagree that they had no out. They could’ve put the kids in some “old folks” makeup, stuck ‘em on that couch, and have the mother come in and rescue the kids, all the while making some stupid joke that the Ted’s been going on so long that the kids have aged decades. This was a sitcom. They could’ve done anything. Nobody stuck a gun to their head and made them use the scene that they shot.

33. Well… my best guesses – 1 – the mama was not important – it was the child that was Barney’s happy ending. 2 – interesting for the viewers, the kids know it – probably why they didn’t mention it. 3 – Being the kids they are – probably with their grandparents. 4 – Lily only had kids going on for her, while Marshal got to have his dream and become successful in his job… No real answer here… 5 – The point was to not put too much on Josh Radnor’s shoulders probably – Patricia Heaton stated how hard it was to be a lead and a voice-over. 6 – Probably a fun twist to make us think for a while that the mother’s mother was the one who didn’t come to her daughter’s wedding. 7 – and what about barney’s last scene? 8 – they have crazy hair – ask Lily during Marshals election, 9 – DVD or the big unknown… 10 – After she got married? 11 – UNKNOWN … 12 – Robin right after her wedding (may 2013) and barney – after his divorce?… 13 – whatever happenned to lot of characters like Marshall’s brothers and Ted’s mom…. they are not part of the story…

34. “Who is Barney’s baby mama?”
    Doesn’t matter, because, clearly, in this show, the Mother is not important. Her purpose is to give birth to kids and nothing more.
    AAAHHHHHHH!
    I’m still frustraded!

35. GuessWhat says:

my only question: why was the finale of a SITCOM so dramatically sad? boooooo. hisssssssssss.

36. Bob Smith says:

THIS QUESTION! Who was Ted’s perfect match from Love Solutions whom he never met? Was it Tracy?

37. Molly says:

So basically the mother of his children was just a time killer for Ted until he could get with the real love of his life, Robin…Thanks Bays and Carter! What a great story!

• Sara says:

What, that’s not the kind of love story you wanna see? LOL but no seriously they sacrificed every character they could in order to get Ted with Robin… so sad.

• Well…. maybe not…. He was telling the story to his kids to get their approval to date Robin – ofcourse he’ll put her in the best possible light and he’ll make it sound like she is one of his greatest loves, but even in Ted’s eyes Robin wasn’t his best mate – he said that the most romantic story ever was between him and the mother, and after that of the window girl. They knew the story of how he met the mother – the point here was to tell them that if not with the mother – Robin is his best candidate.

• Daryl says:

Is it really putting her in the best possible light when he shows how he repeatedly found that they weren’t compatible as a couple?

38. Brooke says:

I get that the showrunners want us to think that the Ted & Robin end game is romantic. But dear lord does it make Ted look pathetic instead. I’m sure many of us have had that friend in real life where you were like, “S/he doesn’t want you, LET IT GO!” Ted is that friend.

39. Kally says:

I agree with some of the points that the people that hated the finale have. But in reality, even the show was called How I met your Mother, it hasn’t really been about the mother since day one. If it were, they wouldn’t have taken 9 years to introduce her. While I would have preferred Ted end up with someone else after the mother died, it makes sense for it to be Robin. She has been a part of his life for decades. At that point in his life, being with someone familiar that already knew and loved his kids would be appealing. I can’t imagine Ted starting all over and dating again.

40. John NYC says:

The writers had cared and invested in the character of Robin for years and years, so at the end of the day who are they going to choose to “save”, a recent arrival and outsider or Robin?

Tracy was collateral damage while the core five got their happy endings.

Yes I should have seen it coming.

• Brooke says:

Why was “saving” anyone even an issue? If Robin and Barney stayed together, and Ted and Tracy did too…then they’re all happy!

• Jill says:

But Barney would have never gotten his daughter if he stayed with robin, and even if he stayed with Robin, he never would have grow up

41. Daryl says:

Maybe…just maybe…those final few minutes are for the movie the kids were watching when Ted started the story. You know: The Wedding Bride 6 – The Wedding Groom. Jed Mosley, having seduced the sweet and lovable Trina and had two kids with her, kills her and molds the kids in his image. Then, when he says, “OK, kids…your mom’s buried and gone. Now I’m gonna go bang your ‘Aunt’ Rhonda! Nya-ha-ha-ha!” And they say, “Go get ‘er Dad!”

42. Lauren says:

Everyone needs to calm down. People are seriously losing it over a finale that, wasn’t super awesome, but also wasn’t bad. At the end of HIMYM, Ted’s story came full circle. He learned that his fairytale belief in One True Love isn’t real – that you can have more than one in a lifetime. He loved both The Mother and Robin, in different ways, at different points in his life. The show delivered on it’s promise of telling the story of how Ted met his children’s mother and everything that led up to that, and how important she was to him and how much he loved her. But in fact, he was also telling them how important Aunt Robin had always been to him, and asking permission to move on with her after the mother died. It was touching. Was is super sad that the mother ended up dying 11 years into their marriage? Yes! I would have been perfectly happy with them living happily ever after, and Robin and Barney living happily ever after. But I’ll also accept this ending, and this is actually the more poignant ending. Life is messy, and HIMYM has always showed us that. In the end though, Ted got everything he wanted – wife he loved, kids, house, and then YEARS later, Robin.

43. Michael Westen says:

I have to say that the one thing I really wanted was the pineapple story. DAMN IT TRUDY, WHAT ABOUT THE PINEAPPLE?

• neha says:

Ted does say “…and I never found out about the pineapple”. The only way we could have gotten the answer was if Ted suddenly found out after telling the story.

44. Nate Mayhew says:

HOW I MET YOUR DAD
    SERIES FINALE

SALLY: To wrap this up baby girl, I made a series of stupid decisions and eventually hooked up with this guy for a one-nighter.

BARNEY: Do you think that story was inappropriate? Ah, who cares, I have a spinoff now!

GIRL: Um Dad, this is the last episode.

45. Maria says:

Hm, remember an episode in season 1 about Thanksgiving? At the end Ted talks to a stripper, and she says that her real name is Tracy and then back in 2030 Ted jokes with the kids that this is how he met their mother? And the kids go all “What?!” They wouldn’t have been shocked if the stripper’s name wasn’t the same as their mother’s.

So we’ve known the mother’s name since season 1.

46. Jillian says:

It just frustrates me that on Robin’s wedding day Ted makes this whole scene about how he doesn’t love her the way he did before and then he goes to her in the end like nothing ever happened.

• Red Balloon Ted says:

He lied to her – probably one of the few times that Ted really lied to Robin (the other was ‘Nothing Good Happens After 2am] – Season 1/episode 18. Ted lied in that wedding day prep-room, but he had to – what was he going to say? Great Robin, let’s run off to Chicago together and leave Barney standing alone at the alter ten minutes later? He said exactly what he had to say to Robin at that moment – ‘I don’t want to hear that.’

It was too late by the wedding weekend, and Ted knew it – that’s why he told Robin she was ‘his top one’ in ‘Sunrise’ hours before on the beach – what difference did it make at that point? The wedding *had* to take place at that point [on the beach, Ted figured they'd come this far, this much heartache, no way they could turn back at that point], and later at the chapel prep-room, if for no other reason than to protect Barney in case Robin did have second thoughts (and Ted realized, he was the reason for those second thoughts).

So, he lied to her – “I don’t love you like that anymore’ – he knows better, we know better {probably Robin knows better at that point as well} – he’d just told her he loved her [in words with the same meaning] out on the beach hours before ["there is no top five Robin, just a top one, and..."], and he told Crazy Jeanette on the park bridge a week earlier that he finally had to admit it – he was in love with Robin. So, he lied to Robin in that prep-room at the chapel to ensure she went through with the wedding – that was the *only* option – the only *good* option.

47. Sarah says:

Oh, come on. The Gossip Girl finale was way worse than any finales ever.

48. Jillian says:

What is so awful about Ted ending up with Robin in the end? Yes, I would have preferred Ted and the mother to be together forever, but How I met your Mother is about the messy things that happen in life and this was just one of them. Just because in the end Ted ended up with Robin doesn’t mean he didn’t love the mother, he did, and if she didn’t die he wouldn’t have ended up with Robin. So the mother wasn’t the second choice for Ted, Robin was. He only went back to her because he didn’t have anyone left and she was familiar. Also, if the story was supposed to just be how ted met their mother it wouldn’t have taken him 9 years to tell.

• Abby says:

Because Robin is horrible.

• Red Balloon Ted says:

She’s not horrible – is she struggling with ‘her fate’? Yes, but that doesn’t make her a horrible person. Robin bent over backwards and twisted herself into a pretzel to try to adjust to marrying Barney – that’s what season 9 was all about. It wasn’t about any pre-wedding preparations, or Ted going through some amazing metamorphosis in prep for meeting Tracy at the train station. He didn’t change, and neither did Barney. S9 was all about Robin, and the changes she was going through.

The person in this entire series who was tasked with changing? It was Robin. She tried – it didn’t work, but no one (after watching her for 9 seasons) has any right [if they are being honest with themselves] to question Robin’s attempt at changing, trying to make things work with Ted in S2, with Barney and Don in S5, with Kevin in S7, with Nick in S8, with Barney in S9. It didn’t work – none of it.

Now, as the series wraps, she has one final opportunity – I think she’s earned that final chance at happiness.

49. Jessie says:

Just curious, because so many people don’t like the ending does this mean that it’s going to turn a lot of people off from watching the spin-off?

• Daryl says:

I’ve been on the fence about the spinoff.

HIMYM taught me that Bays and Thomas can create and develop characters that are funny and engaging, living in a slightly absurd world, bringing us along on a journey both hilarious and poignant as they grow and change.

The HIMYM finale taught me that I can’t trust them to abide by the development, growth and change that the characters go through if they decide on an endgame early on that the characters later outgrow.

I still haven’t decided, but they may have burned up all of the goodwill and benefit of the doubt that they’d built with me by giving us those awful final few minutes.