Supernatural's Misha Collins Turns Director: Big Pranks! Demon Nuns! And 'Mark of Cain' News!

Supernatural Misha Collins DirectingTrying to escape the wrath of Supernatural‘s notoriously prank-happy leading men Jensen Ackles and Jared Padalecki is next to impossible.

So learned series regular Misha Collins when he directed his first episode of the CW drama (airing tonight at 9/8c) and got several pies in the face courtesy of his co-stars.

But the actor also devised a handy incentive for getting Ackles and Padalecki to deliver their best onscreen.

RELATED | Supernatural Boss Talks Dean and Sam’s ‘Cold War,’ Castiel’s Angelic ‘Burden’ and More

Read on to find out what got the boys to behave. Plus, Collins teases upcoming episodes that will find Castiel having problems with his powers — and taking serious notice of Dean’s new marker!

TVLINE | Stepping behind the scenes as a director, did you learn anything about the show that surprised you?
Yeah, I learned a lot. I learned that when they go location scouting, the key department heads know really good restaurants and they get really good lunches. That was an eye-opener. It was interesting seeing everything from a different perspective because you sit on set for so many hours as an actor. By virtue of being there and logging such long hours, you really know what’s going on. But when you change chairs and look at the job from another vantage point, you see all kinds of things. You see what a pain in the ass it is to deal with actors. You watch the clock like a hawk. You just want more time, all day long, and you don’t get it. It’s very cool. It’s a very engaged position. You really have to be paying attention all the time, which I enjoyed.

TVLINE | What was the biggest challenge for you as a director?
I’m a first-time director, so a lot of it was new to me, and I’m learning the ropes. That, in and of itself, is going to be challenging. I was also dealing with Jared and Jensen as the primary characters. That brought with it its own set of particular challenges. They were constantly pranking me, throwing pies at my face and that sort of thing, which gave me a whole second set of things to be worrying about in any given moment. But all in all, it was a remarkably good experience. The boys were so excited to, for example, throw pies in my face, that the time in between [pranks], they actually did their jobs very well — because they were trying to get me off guard. So it actually ended up working out pretty well.

TVLINE | What’s the key to getting a good performance out of Jared and Jensen?
It’s very simple: Find a way to convince them if they do it well — and quickly — that they’ll get to go home. That’s the carrot that you dangle in front of the boys. It’s very simple manipulation.

RELATED | Supernatural Spoilers on Sam and Gadreel

Supernatural Misha Collins DirectingTVLINE | Jensen’s directed some episodes of the show. Did he give you any tips or advice?
He gave me lots of tips and lots of advice, and it was all very helpful. The fact that Jensen has directed before made him a little bit nicer to me than he would have otherwise been. He was, obviously, fully complicit in pranking me, but he also wanted to support me and make sure that I had a good experience as a director. He was actually very helpful, in many respects, for a complete a**hole.

TVLINE | It sounds like they gave you a pretty juicy, mythology-driven episode. You have Henry’s return and Abaddon. What’s in store for the episode, storyline-wise?
We do a flashback. We go back to the 1950s, which is obviously referenced in the episode’s title, “Mother’s Little Helper.” I can tell you that we have a messload of demon nuns to deal with, which is pretty awesome. Demon nuns, I think, is really the headline here. Crowley is trying to recruit Dean to collaborate with him on his evil project.

TVLINE | What is Cas up to the next time we see him? Last we saw, he had some followers.
Cas had some people volunteering to follow him, but Cas is definitely a reluctant leader. He’s continuing on his mission to hunt down Metatron. That’s his primary objective. As the season progresses, his objective of capturing Metatron and the boys’ mission will converge and they will be collaborating with one another.

TVLINE | Will Cas take notice of what’s going on with Dean and the Mark of Cain?
He will, and he takes ominous notice. He knows it’s a bad thing.

TVLINE | Cas, himself, has this stolen grace. [Executive producer] Jeremy [Carver] said that’s an issue that will be dealt with. Is that affecting him emotionally or physically, at all?
It’s affecting him physically. It’s affecting his powers. Maybe on an emotional level, it’s affecting him in that he knows that he’s a bit of a ticking time bomb. This stolen grace is a bit of a cancer that’s eating at him.

Supernatural fans, check out photos from Collins’ directorial debut below.

1. AprilD says:

Perfect! I can’t wait until tonight’s episode. Good little interview with Misha. I love that he answers questions both seriously and not seriously at the same time. :D

2. Alea says:

I’m so excited to see episode directed by Misha, he’s so talented! I’m sure he did very good job. I also hope we’ll see Castiel in season 10, I can’t imagine SPN without him!

• Daisy says:

I think Cass is the best character in the show. Without Cass In the show I wont watch SPN anymore. Cass is the only reason I watch this show.

3. I loved Misha’s insight into directining tonights episode, I do hope he goes on to direct more of them!!!! I also loved all the little hints he droped about the show, and the actors and characters!!!!!

4. ”This stolen grace is a bit of a cancer that’s eating at him.” YES. I am so excited for this. It seemed like such a canon violating plot contrivance; thrilled to hear the show hasn’t forgotten it and it will have consequences. Appreciated this interview, looking forward to Misha’s spn directoral debut.

• dashnjo says:

I’m also glad they’re actually doing something more with the stolen grace than just treating as a battery to be switched out but the ticking time bomb bit has me pretty scared for Cas! The optimistic side of me thinks they’re wrapping up the angel story line altogether and maybe he’ll have to expel the grace and be permanently human or he’s gonna die at the end of the season … and for good, rather than always being brought back.

I’ve also been interested in what Cas is going to think of the Mark … he was around during the whole Cain and Abel thing so I had a feeling he wasn’t going to be too pleased with Dean taking it on!

• “The optimistic side of me thinks they’re wrapping up the angel story line altogether and maybe he’ll have to expel the grace and be permanently human”

This is where I suspect the storyline is going as well. I should know better than to be optimistic about anything SPN related, because they never give me what I want, but it makes sense and attaching so grave a consequence to Cas stealing grace certainly gives them the perfect set up for this development. And I like this idea because I really thought they criminally underexplored the Cas-Is-Human storyline in the first part of S9. It would be great fodder for an indepth arc in S10, especially if he’s with the Winchesters and they are a part of his journey as much as he has been a part of theirs in the last 5 years.

“or he’s gonna die at the end of the season … and for good, rather than always being brought back.”

While I have my many, many frustratons with how the Castiel character has been handled on SPN and how poorly (IMO) his story has been paced, with Misha saying in another recent interview that he would “like very much” to return and that he hopes to be a part of S10, I can’t imagine the show would make such a shortsighted call. Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face. And what’s the sense of emphasizing that the Winchesters have this strong but problematic relationship and have to learn not to be so wholly dependent on each other…if you’re going to just continue to strip away everyone they have an independent connection to? His relationship with Sam has barely been plumbed for the rich storytelling opportunities it provides (they have so much in common it makes my head spin). His relationship with Dean is a huge draw for many fans. And they’ve just barely scratched the surface of stories in Castiel to be told that have nothing to do with Heaven and angel wars. I am looking forward to this season’s storylines finally converging to bring all three of the boys back together, and I am hopeful for a return of Team Free Will in S10. **knocks on wood** **turns around three times** **tosses salt over shoulder**

• Ella says:

Can I hug you for how perfect this entire comment is? :) I love SPN and this season has been pretty decent but I severely miss the Team Free Will dynamic. I’d really love, if Cas does become human, for him to be an instrumental part of the Winchesters’ lives, and for them to be a part of his journey and to help him, the way he has always done for them.

• dashnjo says:

“I am looking forward to this season’s storylines finally converging to bring all three of the boys back together, and I am hopeful for a return of Team Free Will in S10. **knocks on wood** **turns around three times** **tosses salt over shoulder**” I’m with ya there!

You’re right, they really didn’t go into human Cas nearly as much as i’d hoped … I still remember when he stole Theo’s grace being excited on the one hand but thinking loudly “TOO SOON”. I had a feeling he’d get it back (ok, I thought it would be his mojo) at some point during the season but it just seemed so quick and the lack of TFW moments has been light to say the least!

5. Clare says:

I’m really happy Misha has gotten this opportunity – I hope he and Jensen both get to direct next season. Very excited for tonight, though I always miss Cas when he isn’t i an episode… #Misha4SPN10

6. maloose says:

Great interview, thanks.
    I’m looking forward to see his work. I’m sure he did excellent.

Also so so worried about Cas, please be safe and take back your own grace.

7. So pleased for Misha’s directed episode tonight! And I’ll be even more excited when Cas finally reunites with Dean! I bet he will have a thing or two to say about the Mark of Cain. Thanks for asking these questions! I really hope we hear that MIsha is back for season 10 soon!

8. I can’t wait to see his ep tonight! I know it’ll be great and I’m actually thinking about watching it twice: once for the story, once for the technical aspects. I had posted a meta a while ago about the stolen grace becoming like end!verse Cas’ drugs and that he would get cracked out on needing to feel the rush and power of a new grace as he wore out each one. But this is almost worse…if the stolen grace is acting like a cancer and Cas is getting weaker I am wondering if Dean and Cas are going to end up leaning on eachother to get through the bad side-effects of their respective burdens. Very interesting.

9. Thank you for this interview with Misha! I’m really excited to see his directorial debut tonight, and looking forward to the episodes with Cas! And a confirmation of Misha in S10 !!

10. Alessis says:

Directing is hard, is what I’ve heard, but I’ve also heard Misha likes to keep busy and doesn’t back down from a challenge. It seems like he really enjoys this side of it and would like to do more. Can’t wait to see his episode. And then the last eps of the season with a lot more Cas! I miss him when he’s not there. I hope Misha will be confirmed for season 10 soon.

It’s fun to hear him talk about Jensen and Jared. The three of them clearly give each other a LOT of crap while simultaneously really taking care of each other.

11. ren says:

I have to say, it is WEIRD the things they choose to focus on- like, I really could have cared less about ever seeing Henry Winchester again. It was kind of a neat one-off, but given all the stuff they have ever left unfinished on this show he’s about number 511 down on the list of people I ever wanted to see again. With the Ghostfacers and the talking dog thing this season is just weird. Oh well, at least we get Abaddon again, she was cool.

12. Ella says:

I do NOT like the sound of the stolen grace being like a cancer. Hear you me, Carver, we will revolt if you kill off Cas. On a lighter note, Misha is awesomeface and I love how he complimented and insulted Jensen in the same breath. Those guys are amazing, I love this cast.