Switched at Birth's Vanessa Marano Talks Bay's 'Issues' With Tank, Big 'Bemmett' Moment

Switched at Birth Season 3 SpoilersSwitched at Birth‘s newbie couple Bay and Tank are hitting a speed bump courtesy of her ex in Monday’s spring finale (ABC Family, 8/7c).

Not only does Bay have major trust problems stemming from her former relationship with Emmett, but as a sneak peek at the season ender shows, she’s also dropping the L-word to him!

Below, her portrayer Vanessa Marano previews the troubles ahead for Bay and Tank and the big question plaguing a “Bemmett” reunion.

RELATED | ABC Family Sets Summer Premieres For Pretty Little Liars, Mystery Girls and More

TVLINE | We recently talked to Max Adler, and he mentioned that there are some rocky times ahead for Bay and Tank.
Max Adler was correct when he said that! [Laughs]

TVLINE | What can you add to that about what happens to them in the finale?
Bay’s been questioning why he has any interest in this fraternity. She’s been very judgy about him as a whole and what fraternity he participates in — not wrongfully so, because they’ve been doing some sketchy activity. But that being said, it comes from Bay all of a sudden [being] in this new world, with this new boy. She usually dates guys who are very similar to herself. Even if they’re not that similar, they kind of have the same view on life. Tank is different. Tank is different than any guy she’s ever dated before. So she’s in a world of the unfamiliar. … Those issues get brought up again in the finale.

TVLINE | How into him is she really? Because there seems to be some hesitation on her part to get too invested in the relationship.
Switched at BirthI don’t even know, as an actor, if the hesitation is because she’s not that into him and is not over her unresolved issues with Ty and her unresolved issues with Emmett, or if she doesn’t trust [anyone] anymore. That ability for her to trust a guy has been taken away repeatedly, so many times. I feel bad for Tank in that sense because he’s fallen for this girl who really can’t open herself up to him in the way that she usually does pretty freely. Because Bay jumps into a relationship and shows herself completely, shows her true colors and lets people in. But Bay as of late, who’s been cheated on what she perceived to be three times… Now, she realized it was only two times because Ty didn’t, but that was still a lie, so she still feels like she was lied to and can’t trust. He’s fallen for this girl who can’t trust him. His character is so sweet and so willing to look past it, I don’t think he realized how hard it was going to be.

RELATED | Pretty Little Liars EP on Aria’s Final Words to Ezra, the Christmas Episode and More

TVLINE | The promo for the finale is pretty revealing.
Really and truly, there’s so many more surprises. I imagine everybody seeing that finale preview is like, “Oh, well, I know what’s going to happen.” You don’t know. Get excited, but don’t get too excited because you don’t know.

TVLINE | Bay and Emmett have been in their own relationships this season. Is there still hope of them reconciling?
I think there’s always hope. The relationship that Emmett’s been in this season is a little fishier than the relationship Bay’s been in the sense that Emmett’s never met the person that he’s in a relationship with.

TVLINE | That seems like a catfishing situation.
I mean no pun intended, but…

RELATED | ABC Family Renews Comedies, Orders Pilots About Addiction, Tennis and Saudi Arabia

TVLINE | In the promo, Bay is seen confessing to Emmett that she loves him. Was this shocking to you? All this season, they’ve been just friends and now she’s making this big move.
I don’t know that it’s really shocking to anyone that they still love each other. I feel like they’ve said it to each other without actually ever saying the words. Relationships in general, not just the Bay and Emmett relationship, aren’t just about love. It’s about, can I trust you? Can we have what we had together now that everything’s happened since? It doesn’t matter that they love each other. You can love your friends. You can love your family. You can love the person you’re in a relationship with. But it doesn’t necessarily mean that you guys are good together. That’s the age-old question of Bay and Emmett. They were good together for so long and then he ruined it, so can they be good together again? Everybody wants them to be good together again, but that’s not necessarily a proven fact yet.

TVLINE | Give us a tease for the cliffhanger at the end of the episode.
People are going to be so happy and so angry at the exact same time.

1. danzy says:

I was a huge Bemmeth shipper but since he cheated on her i kinda left that ship. I really love Tank, it’s a great character and i’m hoping that he and Bay have a future.

2. Ian says:

Vanessa’s so insightful and well-spoken. Really good chat.

The way it comes off onscreen though, is that Bay and Tank have all the makings of great friendship, but the romance aspect just seems so forced. And not just because of Bay’s trust issues. I cringe whenever they kiss.
    She and Emmett though, the chemistry and the love connection just couldn’t be stronger. I don’t really even ‘ship’, so even to my unbiased eye, I can feel it. I can’t guess exactly as to what exactly happens in the season finale, but I think we can say for sure her and Emmett don’t end up back together just yet from what Vanessa’s implying.

3. casi says:

bay and emmett is the only young couple with a good emotional journey. all the others are half-baked.

4. Sara says:

Whatever happens better not cause us to lose Max Adler from our tvs! I have loved him since Glee and was so excited when I heard he was going to be on this show (that I had never previously watched) that I went and got all caught up on it. Good show, but I must admit I am there for Max (or Tank, as it were).

• Ian says:

I second this so much. I love Max so much and it’s been wonderful to have him onscreen again consistently. And he’s said that he’s filming for the rest of the season, so this isn’t the end of Tank.

But as horrible as Glee is now, I’d still give an arm or a leg for them to bring Dave back. He and Kurt still have so much unfinished business, and it’s still the role of Max’s career.

5. KM says:

So funny. I just came on to TVLine to search for some Switched at Birth scoop and it was right on the front page! Love this show so much and I ship Bay and Emmett so hard. I need them to work out. <3

6. tp says:

I really like Tank but Bay and Emmett are just meant to be. He made a mistake and hopefully has learned from it. I just hope Bay can trust him enough to give it another chance.

7. Joey says:

I don’t even watch the show, but I know people who do, and when I saw this couple, my immediate thought was, “While, I don’t ship it, they make Bank so they gotta be worth it.”

8. Andrew Hass says:

Bay can say she doesn’t want to see Emmett get hurt by his “girlfriend” but it might be deeper than that too,In the promo i watched someone beats up Emmett and Bay finds him and confesses her love for him.So maybe seeing Emmett in danger pushes Bay’s feelings for him to the surface.However i don’t think it’s going to be smooth sailing for Bay and Emmett because i have a feeling someone will interrupt their kiss and takes us into next season with Bay having to choose who she wants.

9. Lizzie May says:

I like Bay & Emmett however I like Tank with Bay even more. I think they belong together.

10. Jillian says:

Tank and Bay should have never been more than just friends. Their relationship is awkward. Loved the ending of the Spring Finale. I just hope they can finally be together again.

11. simone says:

I hope bay says witj Emmett we all make bad decisions he was in pain when he cheated god forgives so why cant she ..

12. ollibear says:

The ending of the spring finale is perfection. Bay and Emmett belong together, and the chemistry of Vanessa Marano and Sean Berdy is undeniable. People all over the world are posting far and wide about how amazing they are together. I like that the show paired up Bay and Tank for a few episodes, because it illustrates perfectly how poorly they fit together. No magic exists between Bay and Tank. Their relationship falls flat, much like all of the other pairings on Switched at Birth. Bay and Emmett are electric. My TV screen sparkles. Fireworks shoot off in the sky, whenever Bay and Emmett come together. I cannot wait to see more of that magic in Season 3B.

13. Kayte says:

Is anybody else concerned that Bay might get pregnant? Teen pregnancy is the one topic that hasn’t come up and I’m scared it might with Bay & emmett..I really hope not because it could KILL the show :(

14. Frances says:

15. Frances says:

At first i was team Emmett but after he cheated i dont see him the same i love Ty and he was her first that means a lot i hate how they cut the relatioship due to him been in the army i feel like there story hasent really finished and theres more to be seen of Ty

16. Barb says:

Bemmett Bemmett Bemmett Bemmett Bemmett Bemmett reunion

17. Laurie says:

I want her to fall for tank. He so nice.

18. Lauren says:

Is anyone else wondering if Bay is pregnant? Because at the end of 3×11 Bay and Emmett obviously had sex, but they just got strait to it and didnt even worry about protection. In a preview I saw Bay was stuttering a lot and she was saying she was going to break up with Tank suddenly and trying to avoid Emmett’s questions. So I think she’s pregnant! Oh my gosh if they did that it would add so much drama!

• megan says:

No she took the morning after pill

• megan says:

I don’t like tank. I think emmet and bay should be together forever. They are just so perfect together. When they first broke up I think I died a little inside. When I watched emmet and bay together I notice how much I want something like what they have. I havewatched pll and the fosters and I wanted a new show so I was on netflix and the moment I turned it on I knew this was going to be a really good show and it changed my life forever because all I can think about when I’m watching tv is switched at birth and when I can see bay and emmet go on their journey. I love ebay! Forever and always.

19. Dakota Elliott says:

BAY & EMMETT PLEASE.
    They were legitley perfect, I understand that it was hard for Bay to understand.. But he apologized. If I was in Bays shoes.. I would have made him do a lot to make up for it.

20. Heather says:

Bay and Emmett are really cute together but he cheated once and who’s to say he won’t again?? And besides tank quit his pledge or whatever to his fraternity for bay and they are cute together to but I thought the same with Ty and Noah but here relationships don’t really work out…?