Glee Recap: Somebody Rained on Her Parade

Get More: Glee, Recaps

Santana Glee Don't Rain on My ParadeSlap! Smooch! Gasp!

If I had to recap up the action on this week’s Glee using a trio of monosyllabic words, those would be my front-runners.

Thankfully, TVLine has no such rules about ridiculous pithiness, so we can delve a little deeper into Rachel and Santana’s mega-fight, Kurt and Elliott’s buss-stop and Tina’s unfortunate shove that knocked Artie right out of his wheelchair.

RELATED | Glee: Chris Colfer, EP Brad Falchuk Hint at a ‘Different World’ (and New Loves?) for ‘Klaine’

Shall we dive right in? Yes, we shall! If you were too buys cooking tacos with Grade D prison meat, here’s what you missed on Glee‘s latest installment, “Frenemies”:

THE LADY LOPEZ BLUES | Santana kicked off the hour in a funk — a totally realistic funk for a college dropout/struggling artist in NYC, I might add — as she lamented her lack of successes (and tiresome waitressing gig) in the months following her national yeast-infection ad. And so, Rachel, trying to be a good friend — albeit one who’s still waitressing, too, despite being in the rehearsal/promotional stages as the lead in a major Broadway musical — scored Santana a spot as a backup model in her New York magazine cover shoot. Awww…warm fuzzies for the former rivals, eh? (Not so fast!)

RELATED | Ask Ausiello: Are Will & Emma Expecting a Baby on Glee?

A GOOD DEED GOES PUNISHED (OR DOES IT, REALLY?) | Amidst the bright lights and big-city glamour of the magazine shoot, Santana cooked up the idea to audition for the role of Rachel’s Funny Girl understudy — and then totally nailed it by busting into the theater and wowing the director with her version of Rachel’s signature number, “Don’t Rain on My Parade.” This led to a brutal, stinging fight — with Santana contending that all of Rachel’s success was fueled by Santana and Quinn’s high school hatred of her, and Rachel contending that Santana simply couldn’t stomach seeing her Broadway successes. “You are short, you are awful, and that is never gonna change!” screamed Santana. And with that, Rachel went and slapped Santana across the face. WHOA! Was it just me, or was this drama between the titular frenemies horribly, uncomfortably real? (I may not like where it’s going, but it was nice to see Lea Michele and Naya Rivera get a juicy scene to play. Also, it may not be Rachel’s prettiest side, but I kind of bought her going into rabid-dog mode to protect her long-held Broadway dreams — especially only months after losing the love of her life to a sudden and tragic death. And that Showgirls comment — in full, below — made me howl.)

TWO IS BETTER THAN ONE (FROM A PUBLICITY STANDPOINT) | Funny Girl‘s director, catching Rachel and Santana squabbling over a dressing room, informed his leading lady and her understudy that there’d be no fighting — that the tale of two Ohio girls from the same small high school finding Broadway success together was going to be his big publicity hook. “As a team, you’ll be twice as famous,” he grinned, insisting from here on out he expected “all puppy dogs and rainbows.” But Rachel didn’t want to continue the charade in her home life, and demanded Kurt choose either her or Santana for eviction. When he refused to take sides, she packed her bags and stormed off — but not before viciously tearing up a photo of herself and Santana during happier times, then tossing the debris in Santana’s shocked face. Who’s Lima Heights now, beyotch? The rivalry, obvs, will continue.

HEADS OF THE CLASS | Tina and Artie, right after celebrating their continued friendship and Tuesday lunch dates, learned they were in a dead-heat for valedictorian (a spot Tina coveted in an attempt to get off the waitlist at Brown). Things got ugly in a subsequent sing-off for the second of two solos at Nationals (Blaine already scored the first), with Tina accidentally knocking over Artie’s wheelchair during a physical, hostile duet. But the frenemies put aside the vitriol — and made a case for each other’s victories — during a contest orchestrated by Principal Sue to see who could deliver the best valedictorian speech. Because a tie was declared over the ridiculous, fawning speeches, the title went to the No. 3 student — Blaine! — a hilarious nod to the fact that Mr. Anderson seems to get everything all the freakin’ time. His solution? A Tina-Artie-Blaine musical number at graduation in place of a speech — even if it means an assassination attempt by Sue.

RIVALRY, HE WROTE? | Kurt, fearing that Elliott/Starchild was attempting to take control of Pamela Lansbury, decided to hang with him one-on-one and pick his brain. A trip to the guitar shop — and an epic duet of “I Believe in a Thing Called Love” later — Elliott got honest and admitted he knew what Kurt was up to, but that he merely wanted to hang with like-minded artists and “kick ass” together, not “be these smiley frenemies who backstab each other.” The new pals sealed their deal with a selfie — with Elliott giving Kurt an innocent peck on the cheek. But when Becky showed the Instagrammed image to Blaine, it got him wondering if his fiancé might be falling for another (and dare I say more charismatic?) fella. I know, I know, a lot of folks ship Klaine, but these kids aren’t even 20! It would kinda make sense if Kurt decided to explore single life in the city, no? Especially if the chemistry with Elliott keeps percolating? (Consider that an informal petition to keep Adam Lambert around from now till the end of Season 6, OK?)

Best Zingers from the Episode
“Now as you are respectively a loner Asian who has trouble making friends and a nasal, Muppet-y disabled kid in a wheelchair, it should come as no surprise to you both that you’re at the head of your class.” –Sue, being typically awful to Tina and Artie

“Now unlike some members of the glee club who come and go for months at a time with no explanation, you two losers are always in that choir room — even if for an entire week the only thing you have to do is say something inconsequential like, ‘Kitty’s right!’ or ‘Blaine, are you serious?’” –Sue, providing sneakily meta commentary on Artie and Tina’s roles on Glee

“Said Beyoncé, right before she left Destiny’s Child.” –Kurt, responding to Elliott’s comment that every member of Pamela Lansbury “is bringing something essential to the mix”

“Allow me to present absolutely no one’s favorite New Direction: Tina Cohen-Chang!” –Sue, introducing Tina’s potential valedictory speech

“What a treacly, stomach-turning waste of everybody’s time. I hate you both. The judges will now make their decision while I find a wastebasket to have mouthfuls of yellow bile into.” –Sue, reacting to Tina and Artie’s silly, love-fest speeches

“You will never play this part. I know you plan on getting all Showgirls crazy on me and pushing me down the stairs and poisoning my oatmeal, but you’re gonna have to kill me first. And even then, I will come back from the dead and I will play this part just to spite you!” –Rachel, breaking things down after Santana threatens to hit her

“At least we know who the rainbow is and who’s the dog!” –Santana, getting in a dig at Rachel after their director declares he wants their relationship to be “all puppy dogs and rainbows”

“Just friends — my ass! And speaking of ass, Pancake Face is getting some. Oh snap!” –Becky, implying to Blaine that Kurt is cheating on him with Elliott

Grades for This Week’s Musical Performances
Tina and Artie, “Whenever I Call You Friend” — Grade: B+ | Kinda sweet, I have to say!

Rachel and Santana, “Brave” – Grade: B+ | Love this song, and love these ladies’ voices!

Tina and Artie, “My Lovin’ (Never Gonna Get It)” – Grade: C  | Nowhere near En Vogue levels. Also: How come so many of Tina’s musical numbers have to end horribly?

Santana, “Don’t Rain on My Parade” – Grade: A | Maybe not as crisp and Broadway as Rachel’s epic rendition, but I liked Santana’s power and flow — and the way her interpretation fit her character! Plus, at least the director’s publicity angle makes the casting of Santana a little less ridonk. (I said “a little,” mind you.)

Elliott and Kurt, “I Believe in a Thing Called Love” – Grade: A+ | EPIC. But my love of Adam Lambert and this particular song probably makes me biased.

Rachel and Santana, “Every Breath You Take” – Grade: A- | Loved the staging with the two floors and all the B’way extras and the way it literally read “backstage drama.”

Tina, Artie, and Blaine, “Breakaway”  – Grade: B+ | I liked how this got used as a backdrop for Rachel’s exit — without splitting vocals between NYC and Lima (a pet peeve of mine, to be honest)

What did you think of this week’s Glee? Can and should Rachel and Santana’s friendship be saved? Do you ship Kurt and Elliott, or are you Klaine 4Eva? (And are those positions mutually exclusive?) Sound off in the comments!

Tags: ,

Comments (201)

• Naya’s version of Don’t Rain On My Parade was awful, I can’t even believe how bad it was.

And no, I don’t need Adam to stay on the show. He can stay if only they stop him from screeching through all his songs.

Comment by Lorena – February 25, 2014 06:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • @lorena-you are my spirit animal. We were separated at birth.

Comment by karenb – February 25, 2014 06:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. I couldn’t even listen to it through to the first chorus before I had to turn it off.

Comment by DD – February 25, 2014 06:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Ahhhh yes…Lorena, karenb, DD. Keep the butthurt going. I’m loving it. All the snark Adam gets just reinforces how dynamic he is. You all have to comment because you can’t ignore him. LMAO !!!

Comment by DarlaW – February 26, 2014 12:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Hi Adam!

Comment by karenb – February 26, 2014 03:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Does butthurt mean what I think it does?! 😳

Comment by Nikki – February 26, 2014 04:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • We have to comment on how awful Adam Lambert is because people like you are trying to make him into something he’s not. Exit stage right, Starchild. Screeching like a cat in heat isn’t pretty. It’s just awful.

As for Naya Rivera’s version of Don’t Rain on My Parade, it wasn’t awful. It actually made me like the song. I passed on the previous version because it was just showtuney. Naya Rivera’s version had a little more pow in it.

Comment by O-Town – February 26, 2014 11:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • He isn’t screeching, he is doing a rock wail. I guess you never listened to rock before? You do realize he is the front man for the legendary band Queen, standing in for who many think is the world’s greatest rock vocalist, Freddie Mercury. If he was so awful as you say, they would not have asked him and he would not have gotten the rave reviews he did, enough to go on another tour.

Comment by Tanya – February 26, 2014 02:36 PM PDT
          • O-town, you are def in the minority. Comments on Twitter (and those from many music bloggers) were like 99.9 talking about what an amazing voice he has–some Glee fans weren’t very familiar with him to begin with but were amazed at his talent. He has an incredible range and utilized it to make this rock song fierce. Also Queen uses him as a front man and I think they are pretty good at judging great singing.

Comment by Mal – February 26, 2014 09:14 PM PDT
          • I’m sorry, “Don’t Rain On My Parade” is suppose to be showtuney, IT’S A SHOWTUNE! No Way her pop crap version would even get her a consideration, it’s not the style of the show.

Comment by Jason Square – February 27, 2014 01:36 PM PDT
          • Seriously, are we STILL suffering Adam Lambert apologists after his actual music career has died a horrible death? That said, I’ve actually liked him on Glee and I liked the song he did with Chris Colfer tonight simply because he didn’t screech his way through it like he does most of his songs. Yes, some people do like his caterwauling. A LOT of people don’t. And it’s 100% pathetic to claim that the MAJORITY of people like his voice when he didn’t even WIN American Idol. Not to mention his last album couldn’t even sell 200K copies. And anyone who wants to continue pretending MOST of us love him is only proving that percentages higher than 100% DO exist!

Comment by KevyB – March 4, 2014 01:58 AM PDT
    • Awww, butthurt :) My favorite.
      Naya was amazing, Adam was amazing. Deal with it.

Comment by Liz – February 25, 2014 06:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Adam was amazing but DROMP is not in Naya’s wheel house. The new arragement was like a pop version of the song and would NEVER work on the actual play unless they redid ALL the songs. And Naya would never be able to sing the real version of the song because she is not a belter.

Comment by Jen – February 25, 2014 06:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I ushered for an Off-Broadway show that starred Cissy Houston (way back in the day). She had the showstopper song, and there was one female understudy for four or five parts — all of them very different singing styles. Anyway, one time the understudy had to go on for Cissy, and she couldn’t do the gospel style that Cissy sang. So, she did it in a straighter, more Broadway version. It didn’t get the same reaction, but it was fine.

Comment by Montavilla – February 26, 2014 09:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • THANK YOU! Someone get’s it. What I’m scared Glee is going to do is pull a Sutton Foster, and something will happen to Rachel, and Santana will replace her, If they do that I will never watch Glee again. Except Santana is NO Sutton Foster. I seriously want the director to come to his senses and get rid of Santana before she does something to ruin Rachel’s dream

Comment by Jason Square – February 27, 2014 01:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • If this show actually makes it to “Broadway”, I’ll stop watching this show! Can we have ONE realistic thing happen on this show? MOST potential Broadway musicals have to raise a fraction of the cash just to make it into rehearsals, where they work and work and work to get investors, which often doesn’t happen. Plus, wouldn’t it be FANTASTIC to watch Rachel act like a star for the next few months only to have the whole thing fail before even reaching previews? After this show, I would LOVE to see her living under a bridge for awhile!

Comment by KevyB – March 4, 2014 02:05 AM PDT
      • Agree .!

Comment by Isabel – February 27, 2014 09:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • So nice to see such haters on this site. Get a life.

Comment by Ruth – February 25, 2014 06:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Wow, I think they (Adam & Chris) are doing an incredibly amazing job.
      Especially Chris Colfer, because this is not his original genre at all. Adam has been in the rock music department since his American idol days that’s why he’s a master in singing it, while Chris has not. His swinging down the stripper pole during the song is also a proof of how gifted and dedicated he is as an actor.

About your comment, this is more about musical genre, I think.
      If you don’t like the screeching then you’re not a fan of rock music. that’s it. The original version of the song by The Darkness is even more screeching everywhere.
      Glee doesn’t have to always cover only pop songs.
      All and all, Glee has done a wonderful job and we must appreciate it.

Comment by Sylvia Rini H – February 25, 2014 09:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Adam + Rock=I hardly think so!

Comment by Krista – February 26, 2014 03:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Your problem.

Comment by Roxy – February 26, 2014 07:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Adam fronts for fooking QUEEN. for realz. not to mention having a working relationship with Justin Hawkins of The Darkness in the past. (nice to see him on the TV; better to see him live in concert.

Comment by Shaunna – February 26, 2014 07:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Wow you really make it clear you don’t like Adam. Adam did an amazing job with that rock song and even the original rocker watched just to see him perform it. What is your problem?

Comment by Ruth – February 26, 2014 10:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Check out Digital Dream Door music forums. It is not a fan site for Adam, just a forum for musicians. They ranked him as #2 Most Technically Skilled Rock Vocalist in the World, even higher than Freddie Mercury. They ranked him on Technique, Control, Power & Range, and Versatility. They are very selective and they don’t even like Adam but could not deny his talent. Slash, Rob Halford, Justin Hawkins, Dee Snider, Queen, Weezer, and I’m sure many other rock musicians are also big fans of Adam. Are you actually a rock musician and know more than they?

Comment by Tanya – February 26, 2014 03:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Best Glee episode in at least two months. Great songs and lots of them, some funny bits. I thought Naya”s audition was awesome…tough song to sing…you give it a try. Plus I saw Naya’s nipple…truly. best episode since last year.

Comment by AdamJ – February 26, 2014 12:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Lol, you realise this was like the only episode in the last 2 months right?

Comment by Wouter – February 26, 2014 04:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Only way it was gonna be the best one. Well, sort of, it’s not like the bar was high after that bad santa rapey idiocy.

Comment by Tim – February 26, 2014 11:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Lol Santana’s version was just fine, calm down.

Comment by Jay – February 26, 2014 04:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t care for Elliot, and I hope Adam goes away soon, no offense, but they need a smaller cast. What happened to Dani/Demi? I’d be ok with her leaving too. Maybe if they made infrequent appearances I could be ok with it, but for now I just want them gone.

I felt as though I wasn’t watching Rachel and Santana last night. They were so out of character in my opinion. Rachel used to be quirky and funny and awkward, and now she’s this NYC diva sexpot all the sudden? I know we all grow up, but we still keep most of our personality traits while becoming adults. And Santana needs to remove the weave/extensions, they look terrible, also her blue dress was wayyyy too short.

I know I’m being way too critical, but this was a show I loved, and now it’s totally different from what I loved about it. They could have handled Rachel’s reaction to Santana’s audition much better, and with levity, but instead it ended up with slapping and fighting. WTF?!

I have to admit, I did like Santana’s audition, it was different from Rachel’s version, and I got a kick out of the fact that it was staged frame by frame the same way Rachel’s was back in season 1.

I had to fast forward through Never Gonna Get It, and Believe in a Thing Called Love, I was cringing. I love those songs, and they weren’t right for last nights show. Please don’t hate me, I like Adam as a helper on Idol the past few weeks, I just don’t care for Elliot on Glee. I’d much rather see SJP as Isabelle if they’re gonna

Comment by Shazay – February 26, 2014 06:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Just different tastes I guess, I am a big fan of the song “never gonna get it” and I think Jenna and Kevin did so well… and as a passionate Glambert and Kurtsie .. of course i had “believe in a thing called love” on repeat… but I have to admit that you are right.. the song does not fit the storyline because despite the peck, there is no romance in the air.

Comment by Axel – February 26, 2014 08:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Oh you are that Demi fan that is so upset cuz she hasn’t been in many episodes and that’s fine but why attack Adam. He’s the best thing to happen to the show in years. It’s also obvious you don’t like rock music or you would have loved the performance by Adam and Chris. Why are you only bringing up Adam’s name?

Comment by shadylady1031 – February 26, 2014 10:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • What are you talking about? I put Adam and Demi in the same category. Re-read my comment. I said I’d be ok with both of them being written out. Also, Adam is NOT rock music, he’s most certainly POP music. Rock music is Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, The Grateful Dead, Jimi Hendrix. I’m sorry, but you haven’t a CLUE what rock is if you consider Adam to be rock.

Comment by Shazay – February 26, 2014 01:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • And before you say it, I know he sang with Queen….but ANYONE can sing with Queen and it’s still just Queen, not Queen starring Adam Lambert. Wattayawant From Me…….is not rock.

I will freely admit that I was rooting for Adam on Idol, but joining an already character saturated show like Glee was not in the best interest of the show. Adam is fine, he’s probably too good for Glee, I’m just saying they need to trim the fat and get back to their core characters.

Comment by Shazay – February 26, 2014 01:25 PM PDT
          • I don’t think anyone is saying that Adam is a rock artist on his albums (although 3 songs on his first album are written by rock artists), they are saying that he can sing rock convincingly. He can sing any genre, really, including opera. If you follow him, you would know that he sings a lot of rock covers in his shows, e.g. he has sung Whole Lotta Love, Purple Haze, Enter Sandman, Are You Gonna Come My Way, Red House, 20th Century Boy. On American Idol, he sang many rock songs. And you might not know this, but before Idol, Adam was a front man for a hard rock band called Citizen Vein. YouTube some of their performances like “Turnin’ On”, “Beyond the Sky”, “The Circle”, “Crawl Thru Fire”, “Avoid”. He even has a rock album being sold on Amazon, but he didn’t endorse so the Glamberts wouldn’t buy it.

Comment by Tanya – February 26, 2014 03:33 PM PDT
          • Wow, you really seem to underestimate what it means to front Queen and stand in for Freddie Mercury. If I am not mistaken, the only other singer who went on tour with them was Paul Rodgers. There have been dozens of guest singers for one-offs, like Elton John, Jesse J, but who else besides Paul and Adam have toured with them? There are other singers dying to be in Adam’s place singing with legends like that. Brian May said his voice was one in a billion. They got rave reviews on their last tour and on iHeart so they are going to tour again in the US.

Comment by Jennifer – February 26, 2014 05:44 PM PDT
      • Lots of people love Adam on Glee. He brings a freshness and some drama to the Blaine/Kurt storyline. Plus all the Glee cast members are loving him as evidenced by their tweets. A few (very few) of you Glee fans are narrow minded.

Comment by mal43 – February 26, 2014 09:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • With so many haters and trolls this comment section definitely needs a moderator.

Comment by Marko – February 26, 2014 09:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You know tvline two people can be Friends without hooking up.

Comment by James – February 25, 2014 06:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Thank you! Not everything has to be a shipping war! Personally I love Kurt having a friendship with Elliot- I think it’s good for him- and also love his romance with Blaine. And I see no reason why those two relationships can’t coexist.

Comment by Alicia – February 25, 2014 06:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Team Berry

Comment by LibbyxD – February 25, 2014 06:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like I believe in a thing called love but I wish we heard Kurt a little more

Comment by James – February 25, 2014 06:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Adam Lambert is the IV of life that Glee has needed. Hope he can stay on as semi permanent, but he has Queen Tour and CD to put out. He is A++++++++

Comment by QueenBertLinda (@GlamPimpLinda) – February 25, 2014 06:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’d prefer Adam going on a long, long tour. That way I can get my two favorite tv shows back.

Comment by Jade – February 25, 2014 06:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Really? He’s not on screen that much and makes a great foil for Kurt. What other show is he on because I wouldn’t mind seeing more of him..

Comment by trimaran12 – February 25, 2014 06:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I believe Jade’s referring to Adam being a mentor on Idol

Comment by will – February 25, 2014 09:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Really? He really made the show for me , loved the Adam , Kurt interplay and friendships with Santana and Rachel !!

Comment by Cathym – February 25, 2014 07:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I wish but it looks like the are going to lose him in favor Blaine the Brat and Sam the Bland. Such a shame because Adam is REAL talent and a breath of fresh air. NY is going to really suffer when Blam takes over.

Comment by Laine – February 25, 2014 06:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Adam Lambert is a mega talented artist and all this crap about him going away makes a few ppl look like children. My twitter feed is full of ppl praising the performance and asking Ryan to keep Adam for rest of season.

Comment by shadylady1031 – February 25, 2014 07:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Michael, I love your comments about StarKurt. That performance was the best duet on Glee ever. So much fun and energy! I’d love to see this friendship turn into more. There are so many better options out there for Kurt than Blaine.

Comment by jj – February 25, 2014 06:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Tonight was great because we got an idea of what a NY-only GLEE is gonna look like. Just add Blaine/Artie/and Sam with the NY stuff we saw tonight and you have the remaining episodes of GLEE after graduation. I can’t wait.

INB4 Sam/Chord begin to hate and say…. NO NO NO to Sam. #dealwithit

Comment by Dave – February 25, 2014 06:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i can’t wait for blam and artie to get to new york!!!! there is so much blam hate on this site but i for one, LOVE THEM!

Comment by kd86953 – February 25, 2014 06:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I know. And it isn’t even about BLAM for me. Yes, I think it is a cute friendship that is well worth keeping because having a gay and straight guy be so close is nice to see but more than that, these are just the characters that deserve to go forward.

No disrespect to the new crop of characters in Lima but they are all basically do overs of the past characters so they aren’t necessary for the show to go forward.
        Rachel, Santana, Kurt, Blaine, Artie, Sam – that’s your show. With the occasional appearances by our adult characters like Shue and Sue.

Comment by Dave – February 25, 2014 06:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • The show could do w.o Sam, he brings nothing but a six pack to the show. No depth to his character and not a very good actor.

Comment by TJM – February 25, 2014 06:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Yeah, yeah, yeah…heard it all before. Like a broken record. I disagree. That’s all I am going to say. #SamChordFan4Ever

Comment by Dave – February 25, 2014 06:37 PM PDT
        • One of these things is not like the other. One of these things doesn’t belong (in a NY-centric plot).

I’ll give you a hint: He’s blonde and has a mouth many have likened to that of a certain freshwater fish.

Comment by will – February 25, 2014 09:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • #SamChordFan4Ever #WillBeInNYC #Sodeal LOL

Comment by Dave – February 25, 2014 11:38 PM PDT
        • My issue with ‘Sam’ is that they don’t know what to do with him. Originally, he was supposed to be Finn’s competition – that didn’t really play out. Then, he became somewhat vapid. Then, after Brittany departed for MIT, he became the cheerleader of New Directions. If he’s going to be vapid, I don’t think Sam will fit in the NYC crowd.

Comment by AngieD – February 26, 2014 09:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I adore Blam and I hope that Kurt and Elliot also have this kind of bromance…

Comment by Axel – February 26, 2014 08:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Disagree about Santana’s DROMP. It’s just not in her vocal range and changing the arrangement so she could sing it took away the impact the belting gives the song. Sorry but NO ONE on Glee should ever sing this song other then Rachel!

Comment by Tommy – February 25, 2014 06:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m in love with Naya’s voice, but I agree. I did not enjoy the performance.

Comment by 80s – February 25, 2014 07:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • While Naya did a good job with the arrangement, I don’t think that tryout would have gotten her the understudy role IRL. If anything, there was a suggestion that the director hired her partly because of her connection to Rachel for marketing purposes.

Comment by AngieD – February 26, 2014 09:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree. I think he was going for the 2 HS girl side story all the way.

Comment by Sil – February 26, 2014 12:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • oh glee, how i’ve missed thee!! tonight’s episode was fantastic! glee is at its best when it makes fun of itself (thanks sue!) and i love love LOVE that they acknowledged the fact that blaine gets everything handed to him by making complete fun of it! the santana/rachel stuff was pretty great –both are in the wrong and right (although rachel’s behavior in the last scene was incredibly childish). i love the pezberry friendship but i can handle this feud for a few episodes! the kurt/elliot storyline was fun but like, i didn’t see any romantic undertones with their performance. and i think it’s awesome that two men (two gay men?) can be friends without wanting to hook-up. gasp! it DOES happen you know! i loved kurt playing meditator between the girls and loved blaine playing mediator between tina and artie. and guys, i feel absolutely nothing towards the newbies anymore. give me GLEE NYC!

Comment by kd86953 – February 25, 2014 06:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The shark has been jumped — what a horrible episode.

Comment by Thomas – February 25, 2014 06:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I guess you missed the other 8 episodes (not including The Quarterback which was amazing) and S4 because the shark was jumped long ago. I only watch for Lea and that will end once Sam gets the NY because I refuse to watch Samchel even for Lea.

Comment by JJ – February 25, 2014 06:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • what about starchild and rachel ? it has never been stated that Starchild is gay and in the promo< rachel shows up at his door.

Comment by Axel – February 26, 2014 08:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I think it would be kind of fun if Starchild turned out to be bi-sexual and had a fling with Rachel. It might be a good way to ease her back into dating. Because you know it wouldn’t be serious, but he also wouldn’t suddenly turn into a jerk or a gigolo.

Comment by Montavilla – February 26, 2014 09:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I didn’t care for the episode at all either. But, there are very few episodes of Glee worth watching. This, wasn’t one of them. I’m not diggin this whole storyline with Rachel and Santana. I don’t like Rachel all childish and selfish again. I thought she had learned over 4 years how to curb that. So, this part of NY does nothing for me. But, make me feel that Glee has no imagination. I’m not impressed. The song Brave was not sung well by Rachel. But, Santana sang it beautifully. Santana sung DROMP fine. Different but fine. Love Artie’s voice. His and Tina’s songs were good. But, as usual, my opinion only, Lima winds up being about Blaine. He winds up being valedictorian by default. Why?

Comment by SKE – February 26, 2014 01:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I disagree – I think this episode hinted at the wonderfully insane Rachel of season 1. Definitely one of the better written episodes in a long time. Santana and Rachel fighting. It’s like how the fights should be written on HBO’s Girls.

Comment by Seanny – February 28, 2014 11:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Omg, the Elliot/Kurt duet was the best ever!!!! They have chemistry that is hot!! Just like on Idol, Adams voice amazed!! Loved Brave too!! Also, not too much Blaine, so I’m happy :)

Comment by Supersonic hater – February 25, 2014 06:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really liked Santana’s take on DROMP. If they’re going to redo songs, they should try to make them musically distinct.

The feud, however, was horribly contrived and made Rachel look incredibly paranoid. Santana didn’t actually do anything.

Comment by Sean C. – February 25, 2014 06:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I had this thought before Rachel voiced it – Santana went out for the role of a New York jew. Barbara Streisand is the “type” that Fanny is, and no amount of publicity involving two friends from Ohio would ever counteract the sheer ridiculousness of casting a latina as a jew in a mainstage broadway production of Funny Girl, never mind the fact that Naya is very traditionally beautiful and the role of Fanny is designed for a woman who with non-traditional looks, which is a driving plot point for her in the first act. The producers would throw her out. Her voice is wrong for it completely, as demonstrated by her performance, and she in no way represents the character of Fanny. It only makes sense if she did it specifically to spite Rachel and only REALLY makes sense as a plot point to create drama.

Comment by will – February 25, 2014 09:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • There’s a lot more room for actors on stage to play against type. Beautiful people can play funny-looking parts, and the audience will buy it, if they act convincingly funny-loooking. (The whole production of The Elephant Man was based on that idea.)

Also, there are plenty of Jewish people with dark coloring. Fanny Brice wasn’t, but that really doesn’t matter on stage. Audra MacDonald could probably pull off Fanny Brice, if she wanted to.

Comment by Montavilla – February 26, 2014 09:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Fanny Brice is a historical Jewish person who actually existed and I honestly think you advocating even for a fictional latina casting of her is more than a little insulting to her memory.

Comment by will – March 1, 2014 03:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Santana did a lot she aped Rachel moves and she auction behind her back. Santana then egged Rachel on and pushed ever button she could think of, even though she knew Rachel was insecure about the understudy thing.

Comment by FF – February 26, 2014 09:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The best GLEE in a very,very long time . Naya’s Don’t Rain On My Parade was terrific. Adam Lambert is beyond amazing. Chris and Adam together off the charts.
    I hope that Adams gets to sing a couple more singles… Too bad he can’t become a regular.. He’s perfect in the cast.

Comment by Melody – February 25, 2014 06:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Don’t Rain On My Parade was stripped of everything that made it awesome and given a pop beat so Naya could sing it. I didn’t like it and while Rachel might have overreacted, given every crappy and horrible thing that Santana has done to her, I don’t really blame her. When Santana called her awful, I thought “Pot meet Kettle” and she deserved that slap.

Comment by DD – February 25, 2014 06:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed! That slap was years in the making. And can someone tell me why Rachel can’t have something just hers for once? There always has to be a lets bring Rachel down moment and prove she is not that special. Its gotten really old!

Comment by Jenny – February 25, 2014 07:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree that the slap was a long time coming. What they both spewed at each other was really bad and being the one always beaten down, it is understandable that Rachel would finally snap. Granted, Santana didn’t have it easy, but she was hardly ever bullied. It was totally unreasonable for Santana to think that Rachel would want to hug her good bye. I do admit that Rachel may be a bit over the top in her reaction by about 2%. I’d say 80% was a result of their past and 10% based upon Santana not giving Rachel any warning that she would be trying out and 8% based upon their pre-slap vitriol.

Comment by AngieD – February 26, 2014 09:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I want to watch that slap over and over again. Love that under all that ego, Santana is massively insecure, bitter and jealous and has to literally, selfishly, and knowingly set out to undermine her “friend’s” dream because she has no clue what to do with herself. That said, everything but Blaine being a ridiculous, special snowflake again, it was pretty fun to watch.

Comment by Jinny – February 25, 2014 06:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You must have been watching a different episode, because at no point did Santana “literally, selfishly and knowingly set out to undermine her friend’s dream”. She auditioned for a role which she was deemed qualified by the director. No rational person would have had a problem with that.

Comment by Sean C. – February 25, 2014 06:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • You mean except for the part where she literally said, I knew, therefore I didn’t tell you until after the fact, and then went on to spew her bitter resentment and got smacked. She was utterly selfish and a horrendous friend, which she knew or she would have said something after Rachel went out of her way to make her feel better about her raging yeast infection. I do love that she basically mimicked Rachel’s season 1 performance of DROMP though, that was sad and funny.

Comment by Jinny – February 25, 2014 06:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Knowing that Rachel would be irrational about it is not setting out to undermine her. Rachel is the one being selfish, since nothing Santana did was objectionable. She started insulting her only after Rachel began it.

Comment by Sean C. – February 25, 2014 06:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Only after Rachel began what? Displaying her shock that her “friend” would knowingly roll up at her audition knowing how she felt about the understudy thing in general without saying boo? And then proceeded to mimic her performance move for move.There was no insult to Santana who then exploded and unloaded all of her ego and High School bully insecurity about her own failures onto Rachel who had done nothing but support her until she blindsided her by encroaching on her lifelong dream, sparking the fight and got slapped. By the end of the episode they were both wrong, but keep pretending like Santana wasn’t also overreacting, and acting like a massive, resentful jealous beyotch and wasn’t the catalyst of that fight. Whatever, Imma just watch that slap again and get a nap

Comment by Jinny – February 25, 2014 07:00 PM PDT
          • Rachel was quite clearly angry at the idea of Santana being her understudy, quite apart from not wanting one to begin with.

Comment by Sean C. – February 25, 2014 08:18 PM PDT
      • Cosigned – Santana, as is characteristic, went too far in the bitter war of words, but only after insane amt of pushing by Rachel. It felt real though based on both characters portrayal over the years – agree w Michael that the actresses must have enjoyed the chance for a serious acting workout

Comment by Angelique – February 25, 2014 06:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Yes Rachel how dare you comfort your former HS bully over her failures, invite her to shoot with you, and then react with anger and dismay when she blindsides you at the understudy audition she knew you didn’t even want and was stressed over. Which she responds to by pulling out all her insecurities and resentment and jealousy and dumping at your feet. Which leads to her getting slapped. Yes Rachel, you really “pushed” her.

Comment by Lainy – February 25, 2014 06:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Ok Lainy.. Breathe, breathe. First, I’m not the fictional character Rachel so maybe practice second person prose another time lol. Santana had legit concern Rachel wld torpedo her, she auditioned straight forwardly and said Rachel told her about the casting. Rachel: I can’t practice with the band. It’s so hard being a star. Grand Marshal of the Puerto Rican Day Parade? Lol. Both of these characters acted out in ways that are true to them and yeah Santana earned a slap if violence is ever ok. But no Santana’s agenda is not ( or wasn’t) to undermine Rachel, but to seize an opportunity. I assure you there isn’t a struggling actress worth anything who would pass on auditioning for an understudy role so a friend wouldn’t feel threatened. And no lead with talent should feel threatened by an understudy. Though now angry Santana might Showgirls her – no me gusta indeed. Again tv show, so peace.

Comment by Angelique – February 25, 2014 07:20 PM PDT
    • Amen to that statement jinny. Gosh why doesn’t anyone remember how cruel Santana was about Rachel’s broadway dreams and basically everything else during high school? It was rachel that worked so hard to get where she want and another thing to point out, Santana hates Broadway and Funny Girl! She never fail to mention it how lame and stupid it all is. I loved the dancing Santana, the storyline where she aspires to be a dancer again. Now that’s Santana, not this broadway singing girl.

Comment by NM – February 26, 2014 05:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought it was a good episode of Glee tonight.Elliot might be developing feelings for Kurt but i don’t see Kurt cheating on Blaine.However i do want Adam Lambert to stay around into next season and see how his dynamic with Blaine and Sam will be.

Comment by Andrew Hass – February 25, 2014 06:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really don’t like what they have done with Becky and Tina. They used to be pleasant people but have become so hateful. At least Rachel has always been that competitive and paranoid that it makes some sense, but she was being a serious diva. Who else but Santana would want to put her down??

Comment by Brigitte – February 25, 2014 06:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Rachel slapped the crap out of Santana and it was glorious.

Comment by Mail – February 25, 2014 06:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Completely agree about Becky and Tina. Was nice to see Rachel stand up for herself against Santana.

Comment by Jenny – February 25, 2014 07:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • so my dream duet is not going to happen! No more Demi Lovato?
    I was waitting for a great Dani/Rachel duet

Comment by juless – February 25, 2014 06:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She’s appearing next week, but that’s the end, seemingly. It’s embarrassing how little that character amounted to after all the publicity, but then, it was probably silly to expect the show’s writers to ever focus on a gay female relationship given their past track record.

Comment by Sean C. – February 25, 2014 06:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • true! but If you´re bringing demi lovato at least gave her more than one good song!
        The first episode was great, maybe to good and real for glee

Comment by juless – February 25, 2014 06:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Totally agree but from I understand is Demi wasn’t comfortable doing the acting and it was her decision to not continue so she could focus on her music.

Comment by Farely – February 25, 2014 06:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • She was never going to be on the show for more than a few episodes. It was a limited guest spot. But two of her three appearances have been complete wallpaper, and she and her supposed girlfriend have had no scenes of their own since her first appearance. And given all the other stuff happening in NYC, I can’t imagine her final one is going to get a lot of focus either.

Comment by Sean C. – February 25, 2014 08:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Actually, Dani could have played a role in the feud between Santana and Rachel, instead of Kurt… such a pity about Demi, I was really looking forward to see her in Glee and I am not even a fan of her.

Comment by Axel – February 26, 2014 08:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought Naya’s DROMP was fresh – I love Lea Michelle’s gorgeous voice but her Streisand as Fanny imitation (deliberate choice of course and good one) would never really fly. I loved loved the Kurt-Elliott plot line – Adam Lambert is really relaxing into the role, they have great comic chemistry, and if you can’t appreciate Lambert’s voice your bitterness is clogging your ears – I thought Glee did a great job mixing the Chris and Adam vocals. I do hope we get some more Starchild though. Great balance in this ep – I agree with Slezak the fight scene was srs bsns but the guitar store dance scene was fun. (I just ignore Ohio save the snarky Sue comments and the meta ‘let’s tear down the Lima tropes for graduation!’ theme lol)

Comment by Patrick – February 25, 2014 06:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Lol yeah Rachel singing the song as it was meant to be sung would never fly but Santana cutting the song into some weird pop/jazz hybrid just to be able to manage it, an arrangement that would never be allowed onto any legitimate BWAY stage would. Right.

Comment by Mail – February 25, 2014 06:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • ‘As it was meant to be sung’ lol I can just see you seriously nodding along to Rachel pointing out that the song belongs to Ms Streisand and then it will be inherited by Rachel. Actually Broadway increasingly has pop songs and jazz/pop arrangements. There are people *cough* who just want to see replica revivals and those who want something that feels fresher. My real point is that when hiring an understudy Santana could easily be appealing- (if Naya could really sing like that) she’s contemporary to Rachel’s retro. Why hire a copy of a copy? A potential Sutton Foster/Shirley MacLaine situation lol.

Comment by Patrick – February 25, 2014 07:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Yes but a contemporary choice would have to be made for the entire play very early on. So in this instance you would hire a carbon copy so they don’t have to change the arrangement EVERY time the understudy goes on. Naya/Santana can’t sing like Lea/Rachel so if and when Santana would have to perform she wouldn’t be able to unless they rehearsed 2 different arrangements, 1 for Rachel and 1 for Santana. They shouldn’t have to change an arrangement so an understudy can perform it lol! Every show I have been to you can’t really tell the understudy from the star in the way the performances are done because the arrangements are all the same.

Comment by Tom – February 25, 2014 07:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I’m sorry I confused things. My point was that pop/jazz arrangements of new and classic songs are in fact increasingly present on B’Way (and Off) and have been for some time. Yes Santana would def need to sing the show’s score in same manner lead does, but I disagree that directors hire identical types as lead and understudy – not at all my experience. And In auditioning it’s not unusual to do a piece that both shows your range and sets you apart – contemporary audition pieces are common. Also understudies often have distinctly dif looks and sensibilities than leads – just compare ppol now famous w who they understudied.
            Where I think we disagree is that I think based on Glee vocals Santana could sing Fanny traditionally and well. (I’m not conflating actresses and characters bc it confuses the issues for me – I actually like Naya’s ‘studio’ vocals better than Lea’s sometimes because I like the warmth and phrasing but recognize Naya can’t do this live and lea can.). And btw if anyone is going to bring up Santana’s ‘ethnicity’ a la Rachel, I think they shld have started w Ioan as Nicky Arnstein :). (Tragically it shows that I actually miss the train wreck of Smash lol.) okay, white flag~~

Comment by Patrick – February 25, 2014 07:54 PM PDT
    • Huh? If you watch FG you will see Rachel is no longer imitating Barbara but adding her own things to the character. Go watch her doing I am Women You are Man. Very different from Barbara’s less flirty interpetation. And you have to consider Lea’s voice is very similar to Barabra’s. DROMP is a song made for a belter something Naya is not. Her pop version would never fly for a musical set during the turn of the century.

Comment by FG – February 25, 2014 06:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I have to agree that there are some commenters here that just seem to hate Adam and their bitterness is clogging their ears regarding his voice. I have never heard anyone who is a professional singer say that he screams or screeches. In fact a UK opera singer who loves him says that he is doing a rock wail and that is very difficult to do. She says he can sing 1000 times better than she can and said he could be an opera singer easily if he wanted to. That’s how great his vocal instrument is. The Glee cast was blown away by him before he even went on the show.

Comment by Pam Hart – February 25, 2014 07:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Adams voice is amazing and most of the haters I have seen are Blaine and Sam stans pissed that Adam is singing so much and Blaine and Sam are not lol!

Comment by LOL! – February 25, 2014 07:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I seriously love Adam Lambert but want nothing to do with rabid ‘glamberts’ who comment on Glee but never watch unless Adam’s on. Couldn’t care less what some British opera singer thinks. Maybe you guys can team up with glee fans who confuse shipping Klaine with tinhatting Chris and Darren. Really though I hope projects like this give Adam a more contemporary and diverse fan base – he’s mad talented and gorgeous.

Comment by Patrick – February 25, 2014 07:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Adam already has a very diverse fan base of all ages, sex, straight, gay, etc. Regarding “rabid glamberts who comment on Glee but never watch unless Adam’s on”…being a fan of the show you should be glad Adam is bringing in more viewers and making fans out of people who had never watched the show. Ratings and viewership is what keeps shows on the air.

Comment by DarlaW – February 26, 2014 12:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Adam bringing in the ratings thank you for making me laugh he has not helped one little bit the two episodes he has been in have been the lowest of the season so far and will see what last nights were like later

Comment by James – February 26, 2014 04:22 AM PDT
          • Ratings have nothing to do with guest stars at this point. It’s not like Demi Lovato brought any new viewers too.
            James, you forget eighth episode, and Adam wasn’t there.

Comment by Roxy – February 26, 2014 07:18 AM PDT
      • There are several haters on this blog for sure. Their comments show their bias and bitterness. Thanks for your comments. BTW that opera singer is Angelina Kalahari who has said she and her peers (other opera singers) are in awe of Adam’s vocal abilities. So I don’t get to upset about these ridiculous comments on this blog.

Comment by shadylady1031 – February 26, 2014 10:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I go to a music college and maybe have a different perspective than a lot of Glee fans. Sorry, but the way Rachel acted is totally unacceptable, and will get you nowhere. Having a “dream” does not make you any more special than anyone else.

It didn’t make sense to basically pin all Quinn’s hatred of Rachel on Santana (like why would Santana care about Finn and Quinn’s relationship anyway), and I really wish the writers actually watched their own show. No one was worse to Rachel than Quinn and Puck were, but I guess fans forget about that because Quinn’s hatred of Rachel was clearly her being sexually frustrated and OMG Faberry4lyf!!! *sarcasm*.

It’s also interesting that Rachel said that Santana could never play Fanny Bryce because she’s a New York Jew, when Rachel herself has played Maria in West Side Story, who is Puerto Rican, and in fact told Mr Schue in season 1 that she should get all songs from West Side Story because “Natalie Wood was a Jew” (Natalie Wood might have been a Jew, but Maria certainly wasn’t). I just don’t understand how anyone could possibly justify that kind of egotistical, over-the-top, Naomi Campbell-esque diva behaviour and actually vilify Kurt for actually having some common sense. I worry about the effect these storylines are having on people.

The music student in me absolutely loved Naya’s rendition of Don’t Rain On My Parade, and actually preferred it over the original (but I hate that song anyway), and I feel like music theatre purists kind of need to get over themselves a little bit. LOVED Chris and Adam at the guitar store. Especially liked how Chris’s voice got kind of gritty and I wish they’d give him more songs that bring out different qualities in his voice (or just more songs, period, because I’ve had enough of the Lea and Darren show). Always love to hear Kevin and Jenna sing.

Comment by Toilet Cleaner – February 26, 2014 02:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Thank you. If I acted like Rachel I would probably never get a job outside a reality show again

Comment by Alexa – February 26, 2014 04:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can Elliot be straight and pair him with Rachel? The guy is SO much more talented then Chord and Elliot SO much more interesting!

Comment by Starchel – February 25, 2014 06:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Want to sign that petition ! Please keep Adam Lambert, the voice that face, without a doubt he shakes things up! Adam Chris Rachel and Santana really top notch tonight!

Comment by Cathym – February 25, 2014 06:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh, the Adam haters could not wait to get their snarky comments on first! Adam Lambert has breathed new life into the show and I can’t wait to see his new episodes. The Lima life is just so stale now.

Comment by buffy522 – February 25, 2014 06:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • So true! I wish they would keep Adam and leave Sam in Lima.

Comment by Glen – February 25, 2014 07:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Adam L. and the chemistry between him and Chris is terrific. I’d like to see Elliot stay for the duration and be a good friend to Kurt. Kurt has never had a male friend who is not his boyfriend Blaine. I think he deserves one; I think it’s time. Having said that,now with talk about trouble ahead in Klaine paradise and Chris’ comment about a possible second love interest for Kurt, I have to say: Will the showrunners and the writers (or the actors themselves–Chris?) let Kurt and Blaine be a “normal” couple at least for a while? You know,let the guys be affectionate,passionate,sexy, do things together other than drink coffee and maybe have meals at a restaurant with a bunch of other people. More ice skating, maybe? Of course they would have issues to struggle with and fights once in a while but come on, does their relationship always have to hang on the line? Just wears me down. How about fun gay, good gay? How about giving young viewers something to lift their spirits? Have mercy.

Comment by Carmen – February 25, 2014 07:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I get that TVLine doesn’t have the biggest Blaine fans, but let’s not ignore the fact that Kurt was single in New York for pretty much all of last season. He even dated Adam (albeit, mostly off-screen). While an engagement that young pretty much only makes sense in TV-world, it is entirely possible for two people to stay together even if they are a high school romance.

Comment by Katie – February 25, 2014 07:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ok, so let’s just cut right to it; I LOVE THIS EPISODE!!!!! It was really solid, a lot of fun, but also intense. I loved the attention Artie and Tina got, and the fact that they sang 2 duets together was really awesome, especially the En Vogue song “Never Gonna Get It (My Lovin)”, cause that song is right in their wheelhouses, especially since Kevin is soo good at singing R&B. Although the reason for their fight was for something as trivial as who will be valedictorian, I still enjoyed seeing Artie and Tina go head to head, and all the things Artie said about Tina were true, that between their junior and senior years, Tina did turn into a bitch. Also, there was very little of Will (Thank God), the newbies were in the background and didn’t even get any lines (AWESOME), and they didn’t shove Blaine down our throats, as he didn’t get much to do for this episode, but they made him valedictorian, which got on my nerves because even though they pointed out that Blaine always gets everything he wants without putting forth ANY effort, they still made him valedictorian, something he didn’t even show the slightest bit of interest in it, so that was a small bit of nitpicking I did. I liked the Rachel-Santana dilemma with the whole Santana being Rachel’s understudy was intense, and let me just say, I did not know Rachel had it in her to slap another girl, especially that girl being Santana, yeah badass Rachel ;). Now yes it’s true that for Broadway shows, u do need an understudy, but for Santana to stab Rachel in the back like that and just arrange for an audition behind Rachel’s back is just awful, but then again, it’s in character, it’s something Santana would do. Also the fact that she sang “Don’t Rain on My Parade” and sorta re-enacted the way Rachel performed it way back in the 1st season is kinda messed up, and while Santana sounded good, her rendition of the song didn’t capture my heart and give me a sense of awe like Rachel’s did. Also, I’m not siding with either of them, however, I believe there’s some truth to what Rachel said about how she and Santana were pretending to be friends. Kurt and Elliot’s storyline was freaking cool, cause Kurt wanted to find out whether Elliot really was trying to steal the spotlight from the band that KURT started, and as it turns out, he wasn’t, and that was fun, and their cover of “I Believe In A Thing Called Love” was fantastic, and I like the chemistry between Chris Colfer and Adam Lambert, they have an awesome dynamic that I’d like to see more of. Now I can understand Santana and Rachel wnating nothing to do with each other, but the fact that Santana literally kicked Rachel out of the apartment that SHE bought, and Kurt doesn’t come to Rachel’s defense by telling Santana that she’s going too far is just stupid and mean, I almost expected Rachel to take a look at Finn’s picture and say how much she wishes he were still there with her. Rachel doesn’t deserve that, I mean the poor girl lost the love of her life, and she can’t lose the role she’s been born to play. Oh and there’s the issue of Becky making it look like Kurt’s gonna cheat on Blaine with Elliot, I hope this doesn’t happen because all that needs to happen is Blaine and Kurt staying together and getting married. I liked all the songs in this episode, I thought Sue’s one-liners were HILARIOUS, and correct me if I’m wrong, but I felt like the New York and Ohio screentime was well-balanced, unlike several past episodes where New York got at most 13 minutes of screentime. Solid, above average Glee episode, great storylines, and the fact that they focused on characters we’ve known for a long time is great and awesome, so this epsiode gets a 9/10 from me (A-)

Comment by Kobe Busia – February 25, 2014 07:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • THIS^

Comment by omar – February 25, 2014 08:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well Said, Kobe Busia. I have one question. When Sue was explaining to Tina and Artie how they were chosen to be Valedictorians, she said that they both had perfect attendance. But didn’t Tina miss some school back in season 3 because of “Asian Bird Flu”? I need to go back and look for that episode.

Comment by GleeLady – February 26, 2014 04:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Well GleeLady, yes actually, Tina was absent from the Spanish Teacher episode from season 3 and thus that was her only absence, but I don’t think that would be counted against her. Also, what Sue was really referring to is the fact that so many members of the Glee Club have been quitting and rejoining the club throughout the show, and that Tina and Artie were the only ones who have never done that, and it’s true those 2 (and Puck) are the only characters who have never quit New Directions, only to come back later on!

Comment by Kobe Busia – February 26, 2014 02:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Thanks for the insight, Kobe Busia. I didn’t look at it that way.

Comment by GleeLady – March 5, 2014 08:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • You’re welcome GleeLady, I’m glad I could help!

Comment by Kobe Busia – March 13, 2014 01:18 PM PDT
  • Sam/Chord is pretty much the new Brody/Dean. Shallow, mediocre and nothing but a walking under ware ad so why would they be dumb enough to saddle Lea/Rachel with this guy? smh!

Comment by Amy – February 25, 2014 07:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ewww… Santana/Naya is a good singer, but I’ve noticed that she over-sings in some songs. Instead of being emotional in the song, she overcompensates with trying to sound better. That was an unfortunate hollow cover of “Don’t Rain on My Parade.”

Comment by Kalee – February 25, 2014 07:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Rachel should move in with Elliot. He would be such a supportive friend. I cannot wait for their duet. I wish Elliot would remain on the show. He is a very charismatic guy with an unequaled voice. He fits right in with the NYC plots. He could be everyone’s(Kurt, Rachel ,Santana and Blaine) good friend and the “voice of reason ” in conflicts. I guess the Rachel/Santana feud will wreck Pamela Lansbury. Elliot can become a Rockstar ,

Comment by Fea – February 25, 2014 08:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • she probably is, watch the promo

Comment by Axel – February 26, 2014 09:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Loved the brave song and don’t rain on my parade. I love this show!

Comment by Jr – February 25, 2014 08:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This week’s random piece of forgotten continuity that unintentionally makes a character look like a hypocrite: Rachel declares that Puerto Rican Santana playing Jewish Fanny would be like Jewish Rachel playing a role in a major Puerto Rican event; evidently the writers forgot that Rachel played Maria, a Puerto Rican, onstage in season 3, a role which her own standard in this episode would have barred her from taking.

Comment by Sean C. – February 25, 2014 08:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • True but Rachel can pass for Puerto Rican lol! Similar skin tone ect.

Comment by lol – February 25, 2014 09:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Rachel herself was starting from the premise that she should not play a Puerto Rican.

Comment by Sean C. – February 25, 2014 10:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • High School vs. Broadway. Different standards, thus no hypocrisy. Less availability of voluntary participants leads to restricted casting in high school settings all the time.

Comment by will – February 25, 2014 09:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • As I recall, Rachel previously also listed Maria as one of the three dream roles she wants to play on Broadway.

Comment by Sean C. – February 25, 2014 10:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • To be fair, Rachel prefaced that fact on Natalie Wood playing Maria in the movie, and she was also a Jew. Plus, Maria is completely fictional, while Fanny Brice was a real, historical person who most certainly was not latina in any way and who would never resemble Naya, and the role has never been mainstage casted as a latina to even give you that workaround logic. I’m not saying she HAS to be jewish, but she definitely CAN’T be latina unless you’re in some sort of situation where only the latina is most qualified, and Broadway is not that place.

Comment by will – March 1, 2014 03:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • For those of you hating on Santana’s version of DROMP because it lacked feeling. Remember Rachel’s version had so much emotion because their set list had been leaked a regionals so her singing it on the fly was supposed to be heart warming.
    Santana did nothing wrong. She auditioned as an understudy and nailed the song. The slap was unwarranted. Rachel despite all her bravado is insecure. Santana had a moment of real feelings with Rachel earlier on and was ruined by Rachel’s jealousy and insecurity.
    The real reason there’s a rift between Pezbrrry is because they won A Peoples Choice Award and glees precious blam didn’t.
    Adam Lambert rocks and I love him with Kurt. Suck it klainers.
    The only person Santana should be with is Brittany. Brittana is Goddess!
    Overall I give this ep a B. Loved Sam and the newbies played props this week as they should every week.
    Looking forward to eps 100 & 101. After that I may be done with glee. Looks like not much Santana in the eps after that if at all. If naya leaves so do I.

Comment by Renee – February 25, 2014 08:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That was 3 years of pent up bulling Santana gave Rachel. I wouldn’t say it was unwarranted but long over due. The problem with Santana’s version is they had to take out the most difficult parts in order for her to be able to sing it and that took out all of the impact of the song. Making it a pop version destroyed the essence of the song. I get why they did it, Naya is talented but no where near Lea’s vocal range and training,

Comment by TJM – February 25, 2014 09:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If you think that slap was unwarranted, you’re wrong. Objectively wrong.

Comment by will – March 1, 2014 03:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Michael, you left out Elliott’s line “Having the right instrument makes a huge difference”!

Comment by DianaKat1 – February 25, 2014 08:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Okay first let me just say that I’m a big fan of Rachel’s, Santana, and Kurt. With that being said….I’m in absolute awe that they would let Santana sing “Don’t rain on my parade”. Yes Santana does have a nice voice but her version was “ehhh” (to put it nicely). In her defense, writers had to know that ppl would compare the song to lea Michele’s version. It’s impossible not to. I give a d- (just because I feel bad giving her an F. Plus this is also coming from a person who enjoys Santana’s singing: such as Valerie!!!) for her rendition compared to lea’s A+++.

Comment by Liz – February 25, 2014 09:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I love Santana but they set her up to fail. She doesn’t have Lea’s range for belting and changing the arrangement just so she could sing it cheapened the song. Dumb move on the writers part IMO.

Comment by Dex – February 25, 2014 09:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Santana and I love her friendship with Rachel but she was in the wrong here Rachel has been working so hard for this since forever so for her to go behind her back and do that was wrong. She is talented in her own right but for to go out for this part and to audition with that song (copying Rachel’s performance) knowing full well how much both of these things mean to her friend.who despite what she thinks has been nothing but a friend to her and has forgiven her and has not held over her the way she treated her in high school. Not only that but Santana has never shown interest in Broadway and has stated that it’s Rachel and Kurt’s thing but I think it’s more of Santana being frustrated and not knowing what she wants and lashing on to anything to be famous and trying to turn it around to be all Rachel’s fault. I get where Rachel is coming from and why she felt betrayed if it would of been any other part she would of been happy for her and she even included her in the magazine photo shoot to try to help Santana feel better and get her groove back and did she really think Rachel wasn’t going to fight tooth and nails when she felt hurt and betrayed and that her role was threaten especially with having lost finn that feeling that she was going to loose another dream of course she is going to lash out. Like i said i LOVE the pezberry friendship they along with Kurt (and finn last year) have been the best thing these last two seasons and i hope they are back to being friends again soon but hey a least in gives both lea and naya more screen time and a good story line plus more duets

Comment by Angie – February 25, 2014 09:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • THIS^ . Times ten.

Comment by Robbie – February 26, 2014 01:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think this was a solid episode, specially after the crap we were trough in the past 4 episodes. The episode focused on Tartie (very much needed since we knew very little of their after breakup relationship) and Racheltana, and seriously it was good and juicy.
    I loved the DROMP version on Santana more than I expected, and yes it was awfully annoying to have Blaine as the valedictorian, (another reason to quit this show as soon as he moves to NYC and Tina isn’t).
    But the Becky scenes were hillarious, and the Sue comments, altough hurtful, had me laughing out loud, literally.
    So above all I ejoyed this episode very much and can’t wait to see what happens next, since there’s only 4 episodes left for me because with Blaine moving to NY and Tina off this show ther’s no way I am staying.

Comment by joncuriel – February 25, 2014 09:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Same here. Sam going to NY is my exit. Blam has ruined this show for me and the possibility of poor Rachel gets paired with Sam is just not something I can sit by and watch happen.

Comment by Me 2 – February 25, 2014 09:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Fantastic. It will be awesome to come here and have one person less moaning over and over about Sam and about Chord. He is awesome and it is going to be great.

Comment by GoSam – February 25, 2014 11:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Oh don’t worry even though I won’t be watching it I will still comment about how horrible Blam is simply because they will destroyed the tiny piece of parts that i still enjoy in glee right now :)

Comment by Youn – February 26, 2014 12:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great episode. Santana’s DROMP was AWESOME.

Comment by Et al – February 25, 2014 09:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Man the NY stuff so great! I’m so sad it will all end once Blam shows up! While I get Blaine has to go, I don’t get whey Sam is going. That guys brings every scene he is part of down! I plan to enjoy the 3 Samless eps left and then mourn my Glee. I won’t be sticking around for Samchel to happen.

Comment by Sad – February 25, 2014 10:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Good. One less person complaining about Chord Overstreet on here.

Comment by Dave – February 25, 2014 11:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • People would stop complaining so much if he gave any kind of reason to believe the complaints weren’t right on point.

Comment by will – March 1, 2014 03:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thoroughly enjoyed Adam Lambert singing “I Believe In A Thing Called Love” – that was pretty epic. Justin Hawkins of The Darkness was looking forward to Adam singing his song, as he tweeted not too long ago when he heard about it. Adam can sing anything, he’s incredible and has charmed the Glee cast, and producer. Also, I liked Naya’s performance as well. Just enjoy the good music, isn’t that what this show’s mostly about? It’s entertainment. I can’t wait to see next week’s “Trio” episode! The promo looked great!

Comment by MLM – February 25, 2014 11:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I thought Adam and Kurt singing “I Believe in a Thing Called Love” was cute and fun (and Kurt dancing around on the poles amused me to no end)-I’m with Slezak in liking that song, too, so I’m all for seeing people having fun singing along to it. But it’s so weird to hear it without the falsetto. Am I the only one who was hoping that at least one of them would break into a high note just once? Eh, well.
      “My Lovin’” cracked me up. Artie singing a song like that…okay. Very odd. And speaking of odd song choices, I understand the point they were going for with the use of “Every Breath You Take”, but still-that’s a romantic stalker song, so…yeah.
      “Brave” was my favorite performance of the episode-really cute little montage there. And I’m in the camp who liked Santana’s take on “Don’t Rain on My Parade”. Yeah, she did it in a different style than what the song usually calls for, but she’s got the right kind of snappy attitude for some of those lyrics.
      As for the stories themselves, so now I’m not as bothered by the whole understudy idea as I was before. The reasoning the director had about why he has them working together makes a strange sort of sense and is kind of intriguing in a “wow, that’s sorta creepy/weird” sort of way, and Santana’s reasoning for why she wanted to audition actually seems legit (I agree wholeheartedly with the list of top one-liners from the episode, but my favorite line of the night was Santana talking about how a couple informed her that they were turned off by any bread-related products thanks to her commercial). And that fight was very realistic and nasty-I actually went, “Oooooooh…” when Rachel slapped Santana. I still want them to eventually work this stuff out, of course, but for the time being, this storyline has me interested.
      And I’m all for Adam sticking around. Not for any shipper-related reasons, as I don’t really care about that, but just ’cause the whole thing with the band is a fun idea I’d like to see the show explore a bit more.
      Blah, blah, tl;dr, I know. Bottom line, I rather liked the episode overall.

Comment by Angela – February 26, 2014 12:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just when NY gets really good it will be short lived …Blam is already taking over NY with the idiot Chord tweeting Blamchel. No thank you Chord! Stay the hell away from anything chel! We don’t need Rachel tainted by your sorry A$$

Comment by UGH! – February 25, 2014 11:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • HAHA. Stay pressed. Or don’t watch.

Comment by GoSam – February 25, 2014 11:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hating Santana for what she did to Rachel and Naya’s version of “Don’t Rain On My Parade” couldn’t hold a candle to Lea’s!

Comment by Carol – February 26, 2014 12:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bad Kurt for not kicking Santana out and not siding with Rachel! Rachel and Kurt found that apt and made it a home – Santana needs to leave!

Comment by Carol – February 26, 2014 12:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • To be fair Kurt may not have liked getting an ultimatum from Rachel about who to choose to evict.Plus he may have wanted them to settle it between themselves as adults.If Rachel had decided to kick Santana out herself Kurt might have backed her up but she wanted him to do the dirty week for her.As for Santana she should have told Rachel she was going to audition and give her a heads up first.Rachel might still have been upset but then she couldn’t accuse Santana of going behind her back.

Comment by Andrew Hass – February 26, 2014 08:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So, a Broadway Director with a ton on the line remaking Funny Girl is going to risk having his leading lady off her game because he cast her frenemy as her understudy? Yeah. that makes sense – NOT!

Comment by Carol – February 26, 2014 12:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Exactly, i know they wasn’t to have a “reason” for a Broadway director to cast Santana but even with that excuse its so stupid.

Also LOVE Naya’s voice BUT I can’t with that version of DROMP

Comment by Sasha – February 26, 2014 04:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They shouldn’t have made DROMP more poppy just so Naya could sing it! If you can’t sing Barbra’s songs please don’t try – it’s an insult!

Comment by Carol – February 26, 2014 12:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve never much liked Rachel, and I’m no Santana fan either. But I’m siding with Santana on this one. Rachel’s behaviour was despicable. Serves her right if the show closes after the first night.

Comment by Scott – February 26, 2014 01:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • How?? Yeah it escalated but initially Santana stabbed her in the back so I understand where she was coming from, I don’t condone it but I understand.

Comment by Sasha – February 26, 2014 05:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The character of Rachel has always been selfish as she refuses to share the spotlight. Remember the whole Sunshine incident in season 2? The fact that she didn’t even want an understudy reflects that selfishness. If she were smart, she would be happy to have someone she knows as an understudy whose behavior she understands rather than some duplicitous “All About Eve” clone she knows nothing about sneak in and steal her thunder. And most importantly, if she swears she will never miss a performance, then why should she care if who is the understudy. I’m hoping she has a scene with a Lupone type to set her straight about being what being a Broadway star truly is about.

Comment by ronnie – February 26, 2014 08:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Remember back to episode 1 – Rachel has ALWAYS been insane and spoilt! That is her character whether you find her adorable or irritating. She’s the ultra driven, musical theatre nut she’s always been, so I really didn’t mind seeing insane irrational Rachel again. TV shows where everyone is nice are BORING! I’d forgotten how hilariously awful Santana in full on bitch mode was until,she laid into Rachel – and got an awesome slap for her snark!! However, it wasn’t until seeing Rachel coldly rip up that photo that I realised how I’d come to enjoy them as pals. Wonder if they will reconcile? I think it was a good move NOT to have them make up at the end. Keep the drama going.
        Strong episode focussing on all the originals. Only Unique of the newbies even had a line. I think?! Bring on NYGlee.

Comment by Cate53 – February 26, 2014 02:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just cant’t believe they put Santana on Broadway. I mean her dream has always been stardom and it was Rachel dreaming of Broadway. Why do they have to mix it up just for the dramatical effect? Not mentioning of course that Santana is obviously in no way right for the role of Fanny at all. Her voice, her looks and also her acting don’t match with this character.

Comment by Anna – February 26, 2014 02:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Rachel Berry is why real musicians make fun of music theatre kids.

Comment by Me – February 26, 2014 02:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Wow, that dichotomy between musical theatre kids and real musician sure is a false one. Who’s back end did you rip that one out of?

Comment by will – March 1, 2014 03:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hey there were a couple of other things I forgot to mention about this episode! 1st, where was Demi’s character Dani? Did the writers forget her existence, or did they pull her out of her contract early? So that pissed me off, and also, there’s an inconsistency I must bring up? U would think that after Finn’s death, Santana would officially become a nicer, better, and more considerate person, but NOOO, the writers just had to make Santana resort to her old High School behavior. Such inconsistent character growth, all for the sake of building drama. I just know at some point Santana’s gonna say something about Finn that will send Rachel over the edge!!!!

Comment by Kobe Busia – February 26, 2014 03:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She said she wasnt comfortable acting but i think she’ll be in next week’s episode which is probably her last

Comment by kk99 – February 26, 2014 06:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • People getting this worked up and dramatic over Santana’s version of DROMP need some therapy.

Comment by Jay – February 26, 2014 04:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t think it was wrong of Santana to audition for the understudy,but it was mean to do it without telling Rachel about it beforehand.Santana basically stabbed her in the back by just showing up and even making fun of her by mimicking the movements Rachel did when she sang DROMP at sectionals.
    Also,I do understand why Rachel was so upset.She was able to forgive Santana after she bullied her for years and got her a part on the magazine cover just to have Santana go back to treating her like an enemy.Besides,wasn’t whole point of Santana joining the Troubletones in s3 that Santana couldn’t stand being in the sidelines instead of being the star like Rachel?Considering that,it is understandable why Rachel would feel that Santana is trying to steal the part from her.
    Besides,Santana doesn’t even seem to be that passionate about performing.She wants fame and be the center of attention,but she doesn’t really show any true interest towards theathre.I feel that Santana doesn’t know what to do with her life and got jealous when she realized how far Rachel is going to go, so she wanted a part in that.Santana did it for the fame and money,while Rachel performs because she loves it more than anything else.
    And if Santana really does want to be an actress or dancer,and become a star,why isn’t she doing something for it?Rachel took acting,singing and dance lessons in order to improve and learn,because all these years getting a part on Broadway was her goal.Santana just decided on a whim that she’s going to this and got it.It doesn’t make it look like she wants it that bad when she isn’t ready to put in the effort.

Comment by leanator – February 26, 2014 05:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • “Santana just decided on a whim that she’s going to this and got it. It doesn’t make it look like she wants it that bad when she isn’t ready to put in the effort.”

THANK YOU SO MUCH. The rest of your post was great too, I totally agree with everything you said. I don’t understand how people can defend Santana. What she did to somebody she thinks as a “friend” is despicable and if I were Rachel, I would try to find a better girlfriend somewhere else. Santana constantly puts her down and generally Rachel doesn’t even answer, she just takes it. I’m glad for once she reacted.

Comment by Sandy – February 26, 2014 06:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My love for Adam Lambert only seizes to grow! And even though I really love Kurt and Blaine together – certainly they’re endgame – I wouldn’t be mad if Kurt and Elliott get something going. Their chemistry is of the charts, and I would be interested to see where it would take Kurt and Blaine as characters. But maybe I just selfishly want more Adam Lambert on my screen :)

Comment by Karen – February 26, 2014 07:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post