Ratings: Revenge Rises, Good Wife and Mentalist Dip, NFL-Boosted Simpsons Leads Pack

Guy_laughing_01101108Thanks to its NFL playoffs lead-in, Fox’s The Simpsons this Sunday drew 12 million total viewers and a 5.2 rating, surging 49 percent in the demo to top all non-sports programs for the night.

Bob’s Burgers led out of that with 6.4 mil and a 3.2, up 33 percent in the demo from its own last fresh outing, while Family Guy (5.7 mil/3.0) and American Dad (5 mil/2.5) were merely flat and up a tenth, respectively.

RELATED | Revenge Recap: Fuggedaboutit!

Over on ABC, The Bachelor count-Juan (or whatever it was called) special drew 6.3 mil and a 1.8, on par with Once‘s most recent deliveries. Revenge then returned to 6.7 mil and a 1.8, surging 20 percent in the demo from its wedding/shooting episode, while the antepenultimate Betrayal was flat at 3.4 mil/0.8.

CBS’ The Good Wife returned to 9.2 mil/1.4, down 12 percent and two tenths from its fall finale, while The Mentalist (10 mil/1.5) fell 17 percent in the demo. (P.S., folks: We haven’t seen the last of Van Pelt and Rigsby. Yet.)

NBC’s Jimmy Fallon “best of” special did 5.7 mil and a 2.0, giving the Peacock its best non-sports, non-Globes numbers in the time slot in a year.

1. J says:

Does PBS not do overnights?

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Any DOWNTON ABBEY numbers, if and when they become available, would likely be reported under separate cover.

2. Shiloh says:

I never realized how much of a difference Jane and Lisbon together made to the series. But last night showed me that clearly. It’s just not the same show without their core twosome. It’s really the heart of the show for me.

TGW was very good last night. Not as good as the epicness of TDT, but still very good. I can’t tell you how much I enjoyed the way Will and Alicia payed each other. Interesting Kalinda story. Good “case” too. I’m very glad “David” won too, for more than one reason.

Watched CBS last night. THE GOOD WIFE has had a fantastic season so far. The writing,the acting, the score, even wardrobe has been top notch. Last night’s episode was a lighter [dramatically] episode, but still quite good. I enjoyed the Will and Alicia psychological battle [his face and stutters when she entered the courtroom after she changed were priceless], the court case was interesting with undertones of humor throughout and Kalinda had a nice story with depth last night. Archie did a great job with it. Eli’s face at the end of this episode in marked contrast to last episode’s humorous spit take we’re even remarkable. They’ve really upped their game this season and I’m loving it.

Also watched THE MENTALIST. I found it pretty boring. Usually the show captures my interest but this week’s episode was the least interesting I can remember for a couple of seasons now. I actually liked the reboot I saw the past two episodes. I do miss VanPelt and Rigsby already. But the last episode without them was still very good. The new lady is okay but she really doesn’t have the same chemistry with Jane that Lisbon has had seemingly effortlessly all these years. That’s something you can’t force. It’s something good the show has going for it and I missed that last night. The case felt generic, the main baddie was predictable and unscary also. The only part that I found interesting, honestly, was the final five minutes. They need to make episodes more like the last two if they wanna keep people around for the reboot.

• enri says:

I agree with you. I really missed Jane & Lisbon interacting. I just can’t get into the Fischer character. Found myself not paying attention to the episode it was so boring. Here is hoping next week is better. I’d love to see a Mentalist season 7 if the writing is on par with episodes like My Green Thumb.

• tara17 says:

I turned Mentalist off after 20mins, I couldn’t get into the plot. To be fair, I was tired. Does the ep get better?

• Shiloh says:

Well, it’s really a matter of opinion. You should watch and see what you feel. But I liked the last five minutes, literally. Everything else was just bland to me. It felt “off” too. It also felt like it tried to be edgy and tough but it missed the mark for me. The only time I felt tense and engaged in the story was during the “showdown”/confrontation at the end. And the last bit was funny. Other than that, I haven’t watched an episode of the show that bored me that much in two seasons.

I agree that the bitterness between Will and Alicia can get tiresome. It seemed to lessen a bit with the end of the last ep during the phone call and Will’s face when Alicia burnt him with that reply-it seemed like a bit of him was enjoying her feistiness. The complexity of the emotions so beautifully portrayed [in the writing, with the flashbacks and in Julianna and Josh Charles' acting] in the last episode was truly Emmy-worthy. But one of the reasons I wanted “David” to win is because I’m growing tired of Will ["Goliath"] being so power-hungry and also stridently and unwaveringly vengeful. I like what they’ve done so far, but they don’t want to overplay it.

• Courrier says:

Y’all just need to be patient. They are obviously going somewhere with this.

• Rich Abey says:

Okay officially..this “Fisher” character is ruining the show for me & by the looks of the comments on social media, for the majority of the Mentalist Fandom too. Bruno Heller & co did a top class job with the transition from Ca to Texas this season but I do hope that future episodes do not mirror the approach used in 6×11, where Agent Fisher takes center stage, cause well simply nobody likes her! Besides we do need a Season 7..but it won’t be happening anytime soon if the ratings start plummeting due to fans not turning up due to “Agent Fisher”.

P.S. If the showrunners need an example, look no further than ABC’s Castle who despite coming back to their original formula after a brief sojourn in the FBI have actually improved their ratings from last seasons’!

3. trainwreck says:

yeay Revenge Numbers are UP!! Revenge is good this season again! last night’s episode was a good old fashioned Revengy episode with soapy twist and turns! #LikeABigThickJuicyBurger

4. tp says:

I enjoyed The Mentalist last night. I stopped watching because of the RJ arc but now that thats over I’m back on board. So far so good. I miss Van Pelt and Rigsby but it’s not a deal breaker for me like Carter on POI or having Bishop on NCIS.

• tp says:

Forgot to add that I haven’t watched the last 4 episodes of The Good Wife because I’m debating on letting it go. A few things kinda soured me on it but I’m not sure if they’re major drawbacks or just minor annoyances. I will continue to read people’s comments to weigh my options.

• HAP says:

Don’t do anything too quickly!!!???? It’s only a TV show. Watch it or don’t watch. Just don’t lose sleep trying to make a decision. Geez.

5. grumpiestoldman says:

TGW has devolved into Will vs. Alicia. Over and over…..week after week. Without Kalinda or Eli, it wouldn’t be worth it anymore. And they’re going to revisit the election crap? Really?

• tp says:

That is one of things that’s turning me off of TGW.

• Tenney says:

I agree with you regarding Will vs. Alicia being being played out ad nauseum and it’s getting old. I want to see Florrick/Argos go up against someone else for once. I loved Kalinda last night and I always love Eli and all-in-all I thought the show was really solid last night.

I disagree with you regarding the election stuff. We knew it was going to be coming back into play when we found out last season there was this video tape of the ballots being taken; it was only a matter of when we would see it again. That’s one of the things I love about TGW, they don’t drop the ball on storylines and anything can come back at anytime.

Lastly, we need more Cary please.

• Lucy says:

Hey, let’s guess who will fight each other in court next week. Will and Alicia. And we don’t need more Cary. We need Cary to have a storyline (since what could have been also his storyline regressed into another chapter of Willicia) and a better role than being “just” Alicia’s assistent and advisor in Willicia matters.

6. kenara says:

I*’m about to dump The Good Wife, AGAIN! This is getting really tedious. Either the writers have gotten too lazy or the directors and producers simply don’t care anymore in that they have gotten too comfortable. I’m so tired of this Will vs Alicia storyline that it’s getting on my last nerve. It’s like the writers are trying to find any excuse to keep Will and Alicia onscreen, together.

CBS: Enough is Enough Already. It’s time to move on. And Will is close to becoming a stalker.

7. GildedRose says:

I’m not surprised about the Mentalist. I love the show and everything but the new formula with the new team felt really off last night. I think one of the best parts of Mentalist is Jane and Lisbon working to solve their cases and now it feels like they’re trying too hard to shoe horn in other people when what you’re really thinking is: When are you getting back to the core team people (at least those left) that I’ve spent 6 seasons watching for? It was glaringly obvious in last night’s episode and I found myself getting impatient. It feels too interlopper-ee to me. I know you have to establish the new characters, but it felt really lopsided.

Then there was the mystery. Usually Mentalist keeps me guessing. You have to watch all the way til the end to see who did it, but I called the whole plot, the who, what, why, etc., about 15-20 minutes in. I mean, they beat you over the head with it and STILL had 40 minutes of episode to go. Then to leave Lisbon and Cho and the entire FBI so utterly clueless to even the possibility of the idea? It was just beyond dumb.

I’m really hoping this was just an off episode and that it’ll get better and more balanced.

8. E. Williams says:

I love TGW but am tired of Will being an ass by trying to get back at Alicia. Like she said last night, “Get over it.” I loved the Mentalist but what they have done to the show is atrocity. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it and that is what they have done. I have Jane’s shaggy looks. You don’t look like that working for the FBI and I miss the camaraderie of the team. Cho is not near as funny as he was and I miss Rigsby also. Why could they not wrap up the Red John story and then let the team move on to the normal caseload. They are going to get this wonderful show canceled.

9. Matt says:

Very happy for Revenge!! My favorite episode of the season so far!

10. Boiler says:

Perhaps we will find out those that watched football on NBC will watch live that they used to DVR

11. arial2 says:

The Mentalist is so down in viewers that only football playoffs and The Simpsons pulled in more viewers. Plus The Mentalist is in the “kill it off” 10 PM Sunday slot, yet got nearly 10 million viewers last night. CBS: stop trying to kill the show and put it back in a competitive slot instead of spending all your time pushing the apparently-failing (yet quality show)The Good Wife.

12. barbara says:

i was somewhat bored with mentalist the shows just not the same its like they’re robotic. good wife not bad at all liked how alicia used her assets to distract will. i saw how poor cary didn’t have much to say or do they need to expand him more!!!!!. not happy going back to the election crap again

13. Its a matter of opinion.I just like to watch mentalist dip.The rating of this show must be high in my point of view.

14. Dan says:

I think The Mentalist jumped the shark by resolving Red John mid season. It feels like Mentalist-lite or any number of CBS paint by numbers procedurals. NBC’s Law & Order SVU revitalized itself after Stabler left. Revenge is rebounding well creatively and ratings wise. Sorry to say, The Mentalist is toast. Sad end.