Ratings: David Blaine Works His Magic for ABC, Chi Fi Hits Low, Mindy Dips, S.H.I.E.L.D. Ticks Up

Ratings Agents of SHIELDDavid Blaine conjured good numbers for ABC this Tuesday night.

Blaine’s Real or Magic special averaged 7.8 million total viewers and a 2.6 demo rating over its 90-minute run, per finals, nearly tying NCIS: Los Angeles for second in the 9:30 half-hour and then dominating the 10 o’clock hour.

Opening ABC’s night, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. (6.9 mil/2.4) enjoyed its very first week-to-week gain, up two tenths in the demo. The Goldbergs led out of that with 5.1 mil/1.6, dipping a tenth.

Elsewhere….

RELATED | NCIS: What Was Your First Impression of Ellie Bishop?

CBS | NCIS was rock steady with 19.7 mil and a 3.0, NCIS: LA (15 mil/2.5) inched up a tenth and Person of Interest (12.3 mil/2.0) lost a few eyeballs (and a hero, sniff) but matched its week-ago rating.

RELATED | Person of Interest Recap: A Hero’s Number Is Up

NBC | The Biggest Loser (6.5 mil/1.9) gained a tenth, The Voice (11.7 mil/3.2) dipped two tenths week-to-week and Chicago Fire (7.5 mil/1.9) dropped 14 percent to a season low.

RELATED | The Voice Top 10 Results: Can’t Believe What I Saw as I Turned on the TV This Evening

FOX | Dads (3.2 mil/1.3) and Brooklyn Nine-Nine (3.3 mil/1.5) both ticked up a tenth and New Girl (3.3 mil/1.7) was flat, but Mindy Project (2.4 mil/1.2) dropped 11 percent and two tenths.

THE CW | The iHeartRadio/Lady Gaga thing drew 860,000 little monsters and a little 0.3 demo rating, setting Supernatural (2.0/0.9) up for declines of 17 percent.

1. Kat says:

glad to hear about the uptick for SHIELD. the episodes have been really good this month.

• Adriene says:

I suspect the uptick for SHIELD has more to do with the Thor tie-in than anything else. I wouldn’t be surprised if next week’s numbers drop again.

• Still, it was one of their best episodes since it started and the Thor “tie-in” was pretty much non-existent in the actual episode. I hope that the people tuning in were 1) not totally pissed at the bait and switch by the “genius” ABC marketing department and 2) that they noticed the improvement enough to tune in next week. Honestly, if they watched the whole episode through, it wasn’t because of Thor. It’s an episode that really would’ve worked with or without the movie, barring a couple of scenes at the start.

• Same. I didn’t really expect a huge tie-in, having seen Thor 2 already, and I assumed ABC was just trying to attract people. Still, I was happy to [spoilers] meet another Asgardian, learn some more history. The last few episodes of SHIELD have been really good, and I hope more people notice.

• gdv says:

I agree. The last few episodes have been a lot better, and last night’s was much more in line with what I thought the show would be like as a whole. Plus Ward is less boring with powers and a sad backstory. I kinda wish they’d just go ahead and make him a Super of some kind.

2. wrstlgirl says:

That David Blaine special was awesome. That guy is amazing. Everything else got dvr’d last night. Sad to see that for Chicago Fire but I’m confident it will bounce back.

3. Eric says:

Brooklyn Nine-Nine tied New Girl for viewers? Nice! There’s no way The Mindy Project makes it to next year, though.

4. Dennis says:

Good for Shield, a good glimpse at Ward but I really would have liked to have seen the whole story

5. Eric7740 says:

I think Mindy or Dads need to move to Fox’s Friday and move the superior Raising Hope back to Tuesday!!!

• Eric says:

I’d love to see Raising Hope take Dads’ spot right now, and then give The Mindy Project’s slot to Enlisted when it premieres in 2014. If Enlisted is as good as they say, I don’t want it to end up one-and-done like it very well could be as a result of poor scheduling. With The Mindy Project’s ratings, I don’t think it will receive a third season anyways (even though I really do enjoy it and watch it weekly).

6. kd83954 says:

TMP is SUCH a good show! It’s really hit its stride after the messy first half of season 1. I wish more people were watching! I also think B-99 will continue to slowly grow. It’s such a great show with a talented group of writers and actors.

7. Dennis says:

OMG GAGA hurt Sam an Dean, they need to hunt that monster next.

8. Burkey says:

Glad to hear about Agents of SHIELD rising, if only slightly. I’ve had a lot more confidence in this show since episode 6, and have seen a lot more confidence in those that are making it.

I saw quite a few people worried about being spoilt for Thor 2, or just worried they wouldn’t understand what’s going on and not tuning in, so admittedly I was concerned about another drop. Hopefully the show will stabilize.

• grunt2k4 says:

I’ve seen even more people just giving up on the show with this episode, both due to ABC’s bait-and-switch (advertise a crossover, deliver a totally disconnected stand-alone story = doesn’t go over really well with the viewers who had hoped the writers would get it together, and pull somethiing really strong & memorable out their bag) & the episode in itself (which was just another half-assed “alien artefact w/ dangerous consequences” episode with heavy-handed writing). I wouldn’t be surprised to see the show resuming its slow drop next week.

9. Rrswag says:

It’s a shame Chicago Fire and The Mindy Project had low ratings because both had phenomenal episodes. Chicago Fire was thrilling, dramatic and emotional. The Mindy Project was funny, relevant, and just plain fantastic!

• scooby says:

Love The Mindy Project. It’s great the first time through, but you definitely catch new stuff the second time you watch it because they have all these great asides. Maybe fans should get screencaps of Chris Messina’s implied nudity in that episode at the photo gallery and flood Fox’s mailroom with it.

10. Chablis says:

Hmmm. I thought CF was boring. Move on with the chief story. Chief is crucial to series so why pretend he’s going to leave. Here we go again with stupid Shay story.

• tp says:

If I’m not mistaken, it was said that the McLeod arc was going to be around for awhile.

• Beth says:

I like the chief arc. It shows the brotherhood that firefighters form. Someone messing with the backbone of their department and how they come together. I thought the scene with all of them standing behind Boden with McLeod going after him was powerful. I enjoyed last night ep a lot.

11. Jill says:

I love the Mindy Project, however, this season, for me isn’t cutting it. I keep reading that people are loving this season. That last season, Mindy’s friends didn’t work and that Tamra is a better fit than Shauna. And I miss her friends, especially when she was going to marry Casey…I mean really her BFF’s aren’t there! Tamra’s character is too much AND I don’t think Adam Palley is adding anything to this season. And this is someone who owns the first season on DVD & I think I’ve watched it many, many times

12. Drew says:

Why would they think it was a good idea to put Gaga on the same night as Supernatural? Could you get two more different demographics?

Could SHIELD have stopped its decline? Stay tuned next week! Same bat-time, same bat-channel!

13. Tania says:

I have to say that The Mindy Project has improved into a much better comedy show than New Girl. I really liked New Girl but it has turned into an obnoxious series after its first season. I just don’t care about it at all. TMP deserves much better ratings than what NG gets.

14. sarah says:

i really like sheild just take it a face value- a fun show you don’t really have to think about. just escape in to it

15. Nicola says:

Good news about SHIELD hopefully people stick around. The last few episodes have been great. Notice none of them focused on Skye? She really is the least compelling character. I just can’t care about her. Everyone else has completely grown on me. Fitz and Simmons grabbed me from the start and May and Ward are awesome together. Every conversation they have makes the show better! Also I laughed at the dollhouse reference. :0) Looking forward to Coulson and May’s backstories.

• KC says:

I agree. I gave up on the show after the last episode. You know, the one where Skye disobeyed orders and tried to break into a top secret facility and dragged Simmons along and got her in trouble. Sorry, can’t take it any more. If they get rid of Skye I may start watching again.

• Pam says:

I gave up after that episode as well but it wasn’t because of Skye. It was because of the entire, stupid story. The whole thing about the head agent not having an extraction plan for Ward because she new Coulson would save them was absurd. Why wouldn’t she just TELL Coulson that. I am sure he would have been happy to go get his people. Why did she have to keep it a secret from him? The answer is she didn’t. But that would have been very dramatic and it wouldn’t have given them an excuse for the stupid Skye breaks into Shield’s computers storyline. It was just so ridiculously bad that I realized I had to stop watching this show or risk my mental health

16. Mike says:

So glad to see Mindy’s ratings fall. I know that sounds very cruel, but I’m sorry, but all these non stop articles on being “idiots” for not watching this show… it’s ridiculous. You almost want it to fail because these fanatics just shove it down your throat. Just nonstop. No one in the grand scheme of things care. Good riddance.

17. cjeffery7 says:

“DID I FALL ASLEEP?”
    “FOR A LITTLE WHILE.”
    i just about had a heart attack from such an awesome reference.

18. Fernando says:

Yeah Chicago Fire hit a season low, oh well it’s still burning hot. Hopefully it can stay in the. 7 million while the voice is gone and at least 1.8 to 2.1 demo.

19. sarah says:

Chicago Fire is so good!

20. HAP says:

Mindy sucks.

21. Melanie says:

Hey were are all of the Suoernatural fans??? Usually you are so vocal? Did you move to another location?! I loved last night’s episode. What a great “classic” SPN feel. And I loved the backstory on Dean just as much as fighting a plain ole ghost for a change. SPN has really been killing it these last few weeks. Great job!!

• Dee says:

Yeah, it was a fantastic episode. A good old-fashioned, tortured conflicted, dead person. Salt and burn! How long has it been?

They just keep making John Winchester more and more of an a-hole. Loved it. Too bad so many people didn’t tune in.