Ratings: Reign Rises, Wonderland Stabilizes, Elementary Slips, Parks and Rec Hits Series Low

Get More: News, Ratings

Snakes in the GardenThe CW’s Reign grew its audience for a second consecutive week this Thursday night, inching up 5 percent to 1.7 million total viewers, per finals. And in the 18-49 demo, the freshman drama ticked up a tenth to a 0.7 rating.

Leading into that, The Vampire Diaries did 2.7 mil and a 1.3, adding a few eyeballs while steady in the demo to best both ABC and NBC in the 8 o’clock hour.

RELATED | Vampire Diaries Recap: Death Becomes Her

Elsewhere….

ABC | Wonderland (3.7 mil/0.9) added a handful of eyeballs while stabilizing in the demo after three consecutive declines, Grey’s Anatomy (8.6 mil/2.6) dipped a tenth to tie its series low and Scandal (9 mil/2.9) rose a tenth with that bananapants episode.

RELATED | Grey’s Anatomy Recap: Scenes from a Marriage
RELATED | Scandal Recap: The Pieces of Ourselves That We Give Away for Others

FOX | The X Factor (5.2 mil/1.3) was up one tenth in the demo, while Glee (4.2 mil/1.4) slipped a tenth.

RELATED | The X Factor Top 12 Results Recap: Did the Right Acts Get Booted?
RELATED | Glee Recap: Twerk-Life Balance

CBS | The Big Bang Theory (18.3 mil/5.2) rose three tenths, The Millers (11.1 mil/2.6) and Crazy Ones (8.6 mil/2.1) were flat, Two and a Half Men (8.7 mil/2.1) ticked up a tenth and Elementary (8.5 mil/1.6) dropped two tenths.

NBC | With football factored outParks and Recreation’s double-episode “comeback” averaged 3 mil and a 1.1, down two tenths from its previous fresh outing to hit a series low.  Sean Saves the World (2.6 mil/0.9) was down two tenths from its last episode sans a Voice lead-in, while Michael J. Fox (2.5 mil/0.9) and Parenthood (3.8 mil/1.3) each dipped a tenth.

RELATED | Parks and Rec: Amy Poehler and Mike Schur Break Down Those Recall Results

Comments (51)

• Yes yes yes!!!!!!! I love Reign, so proud of it.

Comment by Fernando – November 15, 2013 08:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yeii! So happy for Reign! :D That show’s like crack. Can’t get enough of it!

Comment by Rita – November 15, 2013 08:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Reign is getting better. Wonderland I’m about to dump. Just my 2-cents :-)

Comment by wrstlgirl – November 15, 2013 09:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I dumped the deadly dull Wonderland after half an episode. I couldn’t even force myself to watch it. Tried twice.

Comment by bobbie – November 16, 2013 11:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The CWs on Fire!

Comment by Jared – November 15, 2013 09:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • WOOHHOOO Reign! I am loving that show. It shocked me. I thought I wouldn’t like it at first. Now here’s to hoping no cancellation!

Comment by Holly – November 15, 2013 09:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow, this fall season belongs to the CW.

Comment by jason – November 15, 2013 09:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Really? Because 99% of the shows on the CW hit below a 1.0 in the demo every episode. There will be episodes where it hits a 1.0 or 1.1, but most of the shows do really awful. I suppose a 1.0 is good for a CW show, but I’d hardly say that the fall season belongs to the CW as the network has the worst ratings out of any network right now.

Comment by Eric – November 15, 2013 10:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • You still can’t deny the fact that The CW is growing. Arrow and TVD have had more than 3 million viewers and they hit great numbers in the demo as well. The Originals and Supernatural are posting good numbers too. It is coming from a rough couple of seasons. No one should expect more than this.

Comment by JC – November 15, 2013 10:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Reign is one of the best shows of the season. It’s so addictive. Glee deserves it’s lower ratings, the storylines are just ridiculous now.

Comment by Kyle C. – November 15, 2013 09:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay Reign.One of the best new fall shows!i don’t usually like period/costume dramas but love Reign.I can’t vote in the ship poll cause I can’t choose who I want Mary with.Both are handsome and have chemistry with Mary,both can be good guys at times.

Comment by Brandy – November 15, 2013 09:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Gah, I’m loving Reign so much, it’s not even funny. I love all the storylines (though I’m especially partial to Greer and her baker), the music and costumes are fantastic, and I don’t even feel guilty about my “guilty” pleasure anymore.

Comment by Katherine215 – November 15, 2013 09:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Reign is much better than I was expecting, so I’m glad it’s doing relatively well.

Comment by Mark – November 15, 2013 09:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Did CW hire a bunch of people to mass-comment on this site about Reign or is the same person just creating a bunch of different usernames and then commenting?

Comment by Brian – November 15, 2013 09:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well, I am only one person (I think), but the show’s really been building some momentum – and viewers, apparently – so I’m not surprised it’s drawing more comments.

Comment by Katherine215 – November 15, 2013 09:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was thinking the same exact thing. It’s weird because Reign isn’t even that good, if you ask me. It’s actually pretty awful… even by CW standards.

Comment by Eric – November 15, 2013 10:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yeah right. Have you ever checked the Reign tag on tumblr? Have you ever seen the amount of notes each fanart, gifset, comment regarding the show has? The amount of new fanvideos & views on them everyday on youtube? I’m sure a couple of people wouldn’t be able to create 1500-2000 different tumblr pages just to reblog/like all that, or watch a video 6000 times all alone. Twitter’s all the same. Even the actors of the show have pointed out that they get more and more tweets, questions, followers everyday… And many people have been commenting positively on the show.
        If you don’t like it, all good, but don’t assume nobody else does.
        I’ve read plenty of people saying it’s their favorite new show of season, that once they got over the historically inaccuracies they fell in love with the show, etc…
        It is gaining popularity and very worthly so, uckly! I hope this show lives for a very long time!

Comment by Anne – November 15, 2013 11:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I agree!! I love this show, when it first started it was ok , now me and my friends all watch it. I want more lol. Love it and cant get enough. My mom even watches it too, now that says something big. haha

Comment by feefee – December 11, 2013 11:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • LOL yeah really.

Comment by oragne – November 15, 2013 10:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Um, the show is good, so expect more comments in the future.

And I’m firmly Team Francis/Mary. :D

Comment by Radha – November 15, 2013 11:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No..Because CW don’t need to pay people just to watch REIGN cause it was awesome..

Comment by dark_angel – December 31, 2013 09:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So happy that Reign is doing well. It’s actually really addictive. It seems crazy that before the show aired, I was sure that this was going to be the first one to get cancelled. I think CW made some really good choices on the new shows this season.

Comment by Sara – November 15, 2013 09:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m surprised by Grey’s. People missed a fantastic episode. Watching all the chatter on Twitter would have suggested viewership was different. Grey’s and Scandal both had several trending words on Twitter, which would suggest lots of people live tweeting and talking about each show, yet we should trust these ratings, which say the exact opposite.

I just wish there was a better system for ratings because it seems the marketplace has outgrown the current method of collecting data by Nielsen.

Comment by rrswag – November 15, 2013 09:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You can’t judge the number of people who watch a show based on social networks. It just means that those who watched were talking about it. Vampire Diaries trends on twitter whenever it airs but that never translates to massive ratings for the show.

Comment by Catelyn – November 15, 2013 09:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I really getting at that the Nielsen system is outdated. I have never met or even chatted with someone who has a Nielson box.

Grey’s still won for the 9pm hour looking at the data above. I understand social media can’t be used to increase or judge ratings. I’m just surprised that when a show trends for over 3 hours, which is normal to get from east to west coast viewings, and is trending several hashtags that it still only ties for their series low. While Scandal had a similar thing going on and it gave them a rise in viewership. Just things that make me wonder how reliable is the data from Nielsen.

Do you feel TVD’s ratings are most likely accurate?

Comment by Rrswag – November 15, 2013 07:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Team Bary!

Comment by jessica – November 15, 2013 10:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Grey’s, Grey’s, Grey’s. I love this show SO much, but it just isn’t the same anymore. That said, Sara Ramirez was absolutely fantastic in this episode :)

Comment by James – November 15, 2013 10:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay go Reign! Hope this is a sign of good things to come. Everyone should be watching this show :)

Comment by Nick – November 15, 2013 10:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well apparently I am the only person enjoying Wonderland! I like how focused the narrative is, there have been some good twists and I am enjoying the characters. Sure the CGI is obvious but it is a network budget and it is what it is. I have gotten used to it by now and don’t let it bother me. Glad to hear it is stabilizing and I hope it continues to so we get the full season and the chance for the story to reach its conclusion.

Comment by murley – November 15, 2013 11:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Wonderland is a limited series so it’ll have between 13&18 episodes.( because they ordered more than the usual 13-15 for limited series but said fewr than 22 episodes)It was already self contained with a planned ending.With its terrible ratings, there’s no way it will get a full season even if it wasn’t a limited series.Abc already it’s Midseason preplacement months ago.

Comment by Brandy – November 15, 2013 11:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Ok, whatever. What I mean is I hope they let the whole story play out and show all the episodes, however many there technically may be.

Comment by murley – November 15, 2013 10:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I knew this show would rise! I had faith in it from the get-go. Prior to the start of the season, it had one of my favourite promos for new shows and I`m glad its doing how its doing. Hopefully The CW will leave it in the timeslot its in for the new year.

Comment by Ally Oop – November 15, 2013 11:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Last nights episode of Grey’s Anatomy was one of the best I have seen in years. Sara just nailed it last night. People talk about Grey’s number being down but they have not had a show with a strong lead-in for years. All the viewers Grey’s Anatomy draws are truly loyal fans who love watching the show not because the show at 8:00pm is good. Because lets face it the 8:00pm shows have really sucked. Scandal enjoys I am sure some of Grey’s fan base.

Comment by Abby – November 15, 2013 11:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s historically incorrect, blablbabla but i LOVE it…I can’t stop watching. It’s so entertaining…although I thought the first couple of episodes moved too slow on the lovestory front I now think there is too much of that going on…it’s just utterly addictive…

Comment by Kate'shomesick – November 15, 2013 11:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • talking about Reign here, obviously…

Comment by Kate'shomesick – November 15, 2013 11:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Reign is a great show. But you do realizethe SHipper poll thing is riddiculous. It’s based on real people so isn’t who she marries a foregone conclusion?

Comment by Jason – November 15, 2013 12:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Reign is borderline sleep inducing to be honest

Comment by hunk watcher – November 15, 2013 02:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Parks and Rec… You deserve better.

Comment by Babybop – November 15, 2013 03:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • ^THIS!!

Comment by Kd – November 16, 2013 07:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They do. I think all the schedule-shifting probably left more than a few fans unaware of when they were coming back.

Comment by Ambee – November 16, 2013 09:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I absolutely LOVE Reign and I’m so happy It’s gaining viewers, but I can’t vote in the poll. I can’t decide!

Comment by ninergrl6 – November 15, 2013 03:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How about TVD TYING for #2 with XF and beating NBC/ABC outright. Pretty impressive.

Comment by DenverDean – November 15, 2013 04:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So happy for Reign, hopefully it continues to grow. It’s got me unexpectedly hooked.

Comment by Mel – November 15, 2013 05:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Reign is my guilty pleasure show. I know it spits in history’s face, every time I see Mary with a sleeveless gown this little voice in the back of my head is screaming “NO SLEEVES?!” and yet I can’t help it. Really hope it holds on.

Comment by Tee – November 15, 2013 06:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is Reign renewed yet? I do like it and The Originals, I know that’s renewed. Ravensweed is ok, I watch it. Reign isn’t The Good Wife, but I have a weakness for historical dramas about the Brits. Scotland included. I don’t know how far they can stray from actual history, but sometimes I really do wish there was a different ending! Their idea of politics is to kill the opponent. It worked, but how tragic.

Comment by bobbie – November 16, 2013 11:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Interesting that the best two episodes of Grey’s this season, the Halloween episode and this one, have been the lowest rated ones. I understand the first one because people being out partying, trick-or-treating or what have you, but what was the reason for this one receiving such low ratings? I wonder if the fact that the previous week’s episode was in fact one of the worst ever in the entire series affected this week’s viewership at all. And also, for Calzona fans, last week may have felt like it was the absolute end for their OTP and may not have been motivated to tune in. Because I rather doubt that the not-so-secret boycott of the MerDer die-hard fans protesting an episode centered in someone other than MerDer, had that much of an impact. Well, it’s a shame because this episode really was one of the best ever. Sara Ramirez absolutely killed it. She carried the entire episode flawlessly. And in typical Grey’s fashion, Meredith did save the day when she talked Callie out of shooting herself in the foot by turning in that letter.

Comment by Babygate – November 16, 2013 06:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bash and Mary all the way!!!

Comment by Carla – November 19, 2013 02:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s Francis & Mary. Bash is the embodiment of all men who have that ”same quality” in the “bad” or “apparent bad” guy; (Bash isn’t bad; or doesn’t WANT to be-?! Maybe) I do like him however, and the ”triangle” is at a place that I LOVE; Mary is in love w Francis; beyond love/Vice-versa (!!!!!!!!!) and Sebastian is a ”responsible-love” She cares for him and could love him-but differently. Sebastian should definitely have a real love/romance with someone else. Francis & Mary are all on their own. I also like Francis/Bash “Bro”mance, however I’d LOVE it IF Bash wasn’t so pleased and hurried to “bash” F/M’s relation(s) so soon. Or ever! I know that it’s a show and blah blah; triangles view “more people” in bc it’s a half/half audience, but it’s not entirely true- the triangle-ish loving people are not the only ones out there. Real<3 wins over made-up/screwy-situations
    Did I again mention Francis/Mary All The Way- more ways than one in the near future???

Comment by Ilena – December 7, 2013 05:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes! Mary and Francis all the way.

Comment by Beth – December 11, 2013 09:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love this show!! It’s sooooo good and i cant get enough, team Mary and Francis all the way!! Keep up the good work cw. Its my next favorite show next to the vampire diaries. I cant wait to watch more. It gets juicy every time.

Comment by meena – December 11, 2013 11:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought I would hate reign… It is more interesting than I thought and that’s coming from someone who is a history Nazi.

Comment by James – March 22, 2014 04:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post