For Grey's Anatomy's Alex and Jo, Small 'Bumps' -- and a Big Blast from the Past -- Lie Ahead

Grey's Anatomy Season 10 Jo AlexIt’s all over but the consummating.

As Grey’s Anatomy opened Season 10, Alex and Jo repeatedly acted on a summer hiatus’ worth of pent-up passion, yet ultimately let cooler heads prevail in the name of saving their first time together for the right place and time.

RELATED | Grey’s Anatomy Season 10 Premiere Recap: You Win Some, You Lose Some

“They’re sort of juvenile” in their can’t-keep-their-hands-off-each-other-ness, Justin Chambers observed to TVLine at the ABC drama’s 200th episode party.  “They’ve got a lot of growing up to do. And I think that we’ll keep playing with that because it’s fun to watch. What they do for a living [as doctors] is so serious, it’s nice to lighten up and have fun.”

But if Grey’s has taught its doctors anything over the years, it may be to get while the gettin’ is good, seeing as love never flows too smoothly for too long in the halls of Seattle Grace Grey Sloan Memorial.

“It’s a new relationship, and with new relationships come a lot of bumps,” Camilla Luddington noted. “It’s not easy for them.”

RELATED | Jessica Capshaw Talks Grey’s Infidelity and the ‘Long, Load Road Ahead’ for Calzona

Then again, romance has never come easily for Alex — enduring as he has over the years heartbreaks both big (Izzie!) and small (Dr. Lucy Fields).

Might Jo be the one to eclipse all others? Is this destined to be the love of Alex’s life? “It could be,” Chambers allowed, “but that’s a writers thing. As the actor, you’re thinking one thing, and then they’ll turn it around on you. We’re as surprised as the audience, at times, with what direction the story goes.”

Regardless of any superlative attached to the nascent romance, one thing is not up for debate: the on-screen chemistry between the pair’s portrayers. “You can’t intellectualize it. It’s either there or it’s not,” Chambers said. “Luckily, they do such a good job with casting — Linda Lowy has brought in so many great people on our show — and Camilla’s great. She just loves her job, and you want to work with actors that want to be there, that appreciate what they have and have fun doing it.”

RELATED | Grey’s Anatomy‘s Cristina Quandary: 4 (Mostly) Plausible Exit Scenarios for Yang

Looking ahead, before the Alex/Jo pairing even can be considered for any record books, it will have to navigate that stickiest of wickets — a blast from the past, in the form of Alex’s abusive, drug addict father, played by Dexter‘s James Remar.

“Jo wants to be very supportive — she’s trying to be there for him and be a good girlfriend,” Luddington previewed. But the relationship between Alex and his estranged dad, she said, is in and of itself “very tricky.”

Fortunately for Alex, Jo — having, like he did, gone through the foster care system — comes from a place of shared perspective.

“Jo’s going to be there to kind of pick him up and tell him to get on with it,” Chambers revealed. “He’s dealing with somebody that has the same sort of background that he’s had, and that should deepen their relationship.” (With reporting by Scott Huver)

Want more scoop on Grey’s, or for any other show? Email insideline@tvline.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

1. tp says:

Why is it suddenly ok for interns to date fellows? Wasn’t this all taboo before?

• Brock says:

Meredith and Derek dated… Christina and Burke…. George and Callie….. They wanted it to remain hush to protect their careers, but since when has Alex cared????

And nice punch for Heigl “people who want to be here”… lol

• dude says:

I don’t think that at all was a dig at Katherine Heigl considering her and Justin Chambers are good friends and she has been very vocal about the fact that she wants to return to Grey’s. It’s Shondra that doesn’t want her back. Contrary to the Internet’s belief, not everyone hates Katherine Heigl.

• T says:

Agreed. (Though I have to correct you on the creator’s name, it’s Shonda.) Some people just can’t help letting their personal opinion color everything they see.

• David says:

So true…My GOD people can’t let even get their fake facts right. An actor can’t have an opinion of the material they are given, she was scripted to save a flippin deer! WTH! Yeah Emmy worthy I’m sure, for the deer maybe…

• shay says:

Agree! Katie & Justin were at the premiere of TR new movie in April! And after her departure, Justin said great things about her and said he miss working with her!
          People say fans need to move on but they don”t move on themselves, still put this story in every post…

• tp says:

They all dated in secret. That was exactly my point. Alex and Jackson are doing it out in the open. I guess the rules have changed since it’s technically a different hospital.

• loveCA says:

When Callie dated and married George, she was a senior resident.

• wordsmith says:

Yeah, there’s really nobody in a position of authority that can call him on it. Pretty much everybody who runs or owns the hospital has already done it at some point.

• abz says:

I think part of it has to do with the change in point-of-view of the show over the seasons and the position of the characters. It was really frowned upon at the beginning because when the show started, it was primarily from the point of view of the interns. The ones who weren’t dating attendings were jealous that people like Mer and Cristina were getting ahead because they were with Burke and Derek. They could get more surgeries and more opportunities. Now they’re all grown up and pretty much equally knowledgeable and they all have their own specialties so there isn’t that jealousy that was there before. They’re all mature and not dating these interns to get themselves ahead. Now, if the show slowly starts to shift the points of view to the current new interns then we may see a similar rehashing of the early season drama,
      Also, I think the success of the MerDer relationship sort of took away a bit of the stigma from it.

2. Burkey says:

Super excited to see where this all leads. As of the premiere, I’m still very much enthusiastic about this pairing as I was last season.

3. N says:

Fake Izzie!

• Cynthia says:

Actually Jo is Izzie after massive plastic surgery, returned to claim back her love! Or she might be crazy Ava/Rebecca returned to her original appearence before the ferry disaster in season three (anyone else miss her?)

4. Am I the only one who doesn’t want to see Katherine Heigl come back? Izzie was only good BEFORE George died.

• Hanna says:

I don’t think you need to worry, I doubt she’ll ever be back. I think Katherine did a sufficient job of burning down that bridge when she criticized the writers for not giving her emmy worthly material. LOL! Talk about biting the hand that feeds you. smh.

• Julie says:

Only a handful of people want to see her back and can’t accept that it will never happen. Izzie is a thing of the past and everyone (characters, actors, Shonda and the show itself) has moved on. If people want to see Katherine Heigl they need to go watch her movies or hope her NBC show gets picked up. I’m sure Heigl would appreciate that more than people whining about wanting to see her back on Grey’s.

• lily says:

I don’t want her to be back either. Her story is over now, and Alex has moved on. Now, he found his person and he deserve finally to be happy.

• wooster182 says:

Izzie was only good before DENNY died. Her character completely fell apart after that. I like Jo. She’s good for Alex.

5. Julie says:

I think Justin and Camilla are fantastic together. The chemistry is there and Alex really needed to have someone who could love, support, understand and accept him for who he is. I’m very excited about meeting Alex’s dad. That will surely be a great story and Justin Chambers deserves to finally have a meaty storyline.

6. Berry says:

So nice to read an article about Greys that doesn’t mention MerDer. Sick of MerDer fans and their constant gloating because their OTP gets everything. They are the most boring couple in the show.

7. Babygate says:

I love Alex and I’m rooting for him to find true love. But I just don’t see it between him and Jo. Of course, Shonda has already made up her mind so the fans’ opinion on the subject doesn’t matter. Just like it didn’t matter that most do not like the new interns. They went ahead and made them regulars anyway and now they’re here sucking up precious screen time. As far as Alex and Jo, I agree with people that have said that Jo keeps reminding us of her past to make us believe how tough she is but in reality, she has no edge. She lacks total credibility when it comes to being tough or having a rough background. They are forcing that point to make her more compatible with Alex. And it falls flat. I think she works well with the other interns but I’ve never been able to buy into this pairing. I don’t see the chemistry. And the age difference doesn’t help. Now with Justin’s take on their storyline it appears that he will actually be regressing. He spent last year fighting about how much he’d grown and now he’s dating a toddler and acting like one. Wow, talk about continuity, or lack thereof. When Shonda is bent on a path, she ignores reason. I mean, I don’t hate Jo and Alex together. I’m rather ambivalent about it because they are not the reason I tune in but this pairing doesn’t work for me. At least they are not as bad as Stephanie and Jackson. Now, THAT was a huge mistake. I’m just hoping it gets corrected soon.

8. abz says:

How I wish that blast from the past was Izzie! Hell, I’d even take seeing Elizabeth Reaser again to get an update on Eva/Rebecca. I don’t care about all the behind the scenes drama. It’s been what 3 years and people need to get over it and move on. Things were said. Apologies were made and lessons were learned I’m sure. I thought Katherine was one of the most fantastic actresses on the show and Izzie will always be in my top 5 favourite characters of Grey’s. Even with some of the crappy storylines, she still acted the hell out of them and she was always hilarious and emotionally moving. Hoping that they would at least let ask her to guest star in the series finale. I don’t care if it has nothing to do with the show at the current time, most series finales have blasts from the past pop up all the time, so fingers crossed.

• Cynthia says:

Long live Rebecca! Izzie will never be back as long as Shonda has a say in it. Unless it’s in a body bag (hey, it’ still clousure).

Regarding Jo’s unbelivable background, I think she might be a WASPy trust fund child/patological liar, since it’s tradition that Alex’s girls must have some issues in the mental department.

P.S.: has anyone noticed how on this show tragedy/death/grief equals sex? I know people have all kinds of fetishes, but horny on bloodbath is something I still have trouble accepting:-[

• Buffy0531 says:

I’m with you on the post-bloodbath sex thing. Don’t get it, never have. I’m also fully in the “leave Izzie in the past” camp. Let it go.

9. megan says:

Thanks so much for getting the scoop as always, Matt!!!

LOVE Alex and Jo together. And I like the fact they say that Jo will be there for Alex during this rough time. I think people should give their relationship a chance if you’re doubting it now. They even said it’s a bit juvenile right now. I admit I wasn’t really happy with how they chose to have them constantly trying to boink in the first 2 episodes but there’s a ton of season left. I think they’ll surprise people and god knows, Alex deserves to be happy and have a girlfriend who is completely devoted to him and won’t leave him. If Jo is his person then so be it.

10. shay says:

don’t care bout them but love alex with or without izzie and I’m glad we’ll see a real and good storyline for him
    but people you know if Katie didn’t leave, her & Alex were planned meant to be (shonda’s words) and Iz would have been there for him. And the way Izzie left is not Iz, she wasn’t perfect but she would never have left Alex that way or even Meredith. It was like a revenge from Shonda made it for the fans to hate Iz & Katie and it worked.
    Katie was right (saving a deer and having sex with a dead man) about that but she said it with not good words but she apologized damn it! Yeah she will never come back, I made peace with that but we as fans need to move on you haters and shonda should do the same