Ratings: Revolution Quieter in New Time Slot, SVU Surges, Modern Family Drops, X Factor Rises

Get More: News, Premieres, Ratings

Ratings Revolution Season 2The Revolution was televised… to a slightly smaller demo rating, as NBC’s sophomore drama christened its new Wednesday time slot sans a cushy Voice lead-in.

With a total audience of 6.8 million viewers matching its series-low 1.8 rating, Revolution was of course down sharply from its rather boffo series premiere (11.7 mil/4.1), but also off two tenths from its freshman finale (6.2 mil/2.0), both of which aired Mondays at 10.

RELATED | Revolution Post Mortem: The Firefly Mystery, Monroe’s Lost Mojo, Aaron’s [Spoiler] and More Burning Questions Answered

That said, it added some eyeballs versus where it left off and greatly improved on the 5 mil/1.5 that Animal Practice/Guys With Kids did for NBC in Wednesday’s lead-off spot a year ago. So there’s that.

Continuing NBC’s night, Law & Order: SVU‘s double-episode premiere averaged 9.5 mil/2.7, surging some 30 percent from last year’s opener and delivering its largest audience since Nov. 2011.

RELATED | Law & Order: SVU Premiere Recap: Liv and Let Liv?

ABC | The Middle returned to 8.8 mil and a 2.4, down 17 percent in the demo year-over-year. Back in the Game debuted to 7.9 mil/2.2, improving 25 and 16 percent on what The Neighbors did in the 8:30 slot a year ago and demonstrating greater retention out of The Middle. Modern Family‘s double helping (averaging 11.4 mil/4.1) dropped 20 and 25 percent from its previous premiere. Nashville (6.6 mil/2.1) fell some 25 percent from its series launch but was up 10 percent two tenths from its finale.

RELATED | Nashville Premiere Recap: Brace for Impact

FOX | The X Factor (7.6 mil/2.5) rose 15 percent week-to-week.

RELATED | Michael Slezak’s The X Factor Recap: Whole World’s Upside Down

CBS | Survivor (9.4 mil/2.3) shed some viewers and slipped 12 percent in the demo from its season opener. Criminal Minds (11.3 mil/2.8) was down 3 and 10 percent from its previous premiere (but matched its finale numbers), while CSI (9 mil/2.1) fell 17 percent year-over-year.

RELATED | CSI Recaplet: When Daddy Issues Turn Deadly

Comments (65)

• Criminal Minds ? CSI ?

Comment by BB – September 26, 2013 08:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • SVU was brilliant last night, poor Benson

Comment by Martina – September 26, 2013 08:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Big drop for Modern Family. Maybe everyone else is starting to realize it is the same episode every week. And they aren’t great in the first place.

Comment by Patrick – September 26, 2013 08:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • What do you mean “it’s the same episode every week”?

Comment by JJ – September 26, 2013 08:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • The premise is always the three families have some sort of plans, they don’t pan out, but works out in the end, and they realise how much they love each other.

Comment by Joe – September 26, 2013 03:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Assume by this comment you don’t watch. Also think you are totally wrong

Comment by Boiler – September 26, 2013 08:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • For real. The show has became repetitive every week i really cant believe it won another Emmy for best Comedy when it lost on everything else it made no sense

Comment by ggny – September 26, 2013 08:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Although season four was lackluster (for the most part), last night’s premiere episodes were much better! The writing was sharp and the dialogue was funny. I was pleasantly surprised because I expected the downward slide to continue. Hope they can keep it up as the season progresses!

Comment by dan – September 26, 2013 09:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Why do you think they win the Emmy every year? The old people voting forget it’s the same thing every week. None of the characters grow or mature or change. It’s really boring. I watched part of the second episode in a rerun 90 minutes before the new episode. I couldn’t tell the difference at all besides the son grew a little.

Comment by David4 – September 26, 2013 09:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • In their defense, they seem to have found a formula that works, and they are riding it into the ground. Just like 2.5 Men, it will make them f-u money. For their grandkids.

Comment by Patrick – September 26, 2013 12:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Modern Family was great last night… especially the second part. It’s a shame less and less people seem to watch it :(

Comment by JJ – September 26, 2013 08:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • BELIEVE IT OR NOT, not all humans are INTO the GAY LIFE! I loved that show JUST the was it was, don’t care if I ever see it again. Carry on

Comment by CADY HUGHES (@CADYHUGHES) – October 3, 2013 05:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I knew Revolution was returning but for some reason I missed that it was at a new time… big thanks to my DVR for catching it for me.

Comment by English – September 26, 2013 08:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hate the new time slot for Revolution. It’s on the DVR so I could watch Survivor. I’m curious to see what happens next week when Arrow shows up.

Comment by wrstlgirl – September 26, 2013 08:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Arrow returns in 2 weeks. Next week is a recap episode.

Comment by Bonnie – September 26, 2013 08:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Oh, that’s good to know. I’ll probably watch it anyway :-)

Comment by wrstlgirl – September 26, 2013 08:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t think moving Revolution was a good idea. NBC really needs to stick with what works. Mondays were just fine. I like the show but I think it’s going to drop even further in the following weeks. It will be airing opposite Arrow on The CW and I enjoy that show much more so I’ll be watching it live.

Comment by Lena120 – September 26, 2013 08:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Of course it was just fine after the biggest juggernaut on NBC. Any show can thrive there. NBC has to use its best real estate to launch new shows. If a show can’t survive elsewhere, too bad.

Comment by Patrick – September 26, 2013 08:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Mhm. They’re greedy. They never tried to see how the show would do alone during its first season run. They will probably pull the same stunt if Blacklist gets a second season.

Comment by Esaul – September 26, 2013 08:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I feared this for Revolution, but great job SVU!

Comment by Esaul – September 26, 2013 08:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope Revolution dies. I can’t believe I watched all of season 1. It is the worst show I ever committed to. I want the time I wasted on it back.

Comment by TigerNightmare – September 26, 2013 08:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m not sure I understand why you would hope a show gets cancelled just because you don’t like it. The thought process just seems malicious to me. It can’t be affecting any other shows you might watch this early in the season either. Some people actually like it.

Comment by Katherine215 – September 26, 2013 08:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Agree 150%. Wishing for a show to die because you don’t like it is just mean spirited.

Comment by wrstlgirl – September 26, 2013 08:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Katherine, what I watched last season is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever seen. At no point in its rambling, incoherent narrative was it even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone is now dumber for having seen it. I award it no points, and may God have mercy on my soul.
        Seriously, I just hate the show. I hate how it wastes Elizabeth Mitchell and especially Giancarlo Esposito. Charlie is an obnoxious F-tard of a character, played by one of the most unappealing, untalented people to ever be called an actress. The writing is ridiculous and whoever’s responsible for hiding from helicopter gunfire in a restaurant refrigerator should be thrown out of the WGA.
        If it was just mediocre with mediocre ratings, then I would be fine. It would be an earned cancellation. But no. It gets so-so to good ratings while being terrible and most critics give it a pass with minimal enthusiasm. It has a fandom and it really doesn’t deserve it. Better shows are ignored and cancelled while this gets to stay on the air. Do people just have terrible taste? Do people just not care what’s on after they watch The Voice? Any kind of general enthusiasm for this is truly offensive. I feel a sense of national shame. We as Americans should be watching better, smarter entertainment. But we don’t. We have low standards and we don’t care about what we watch, as long as it’s the same thing every day, every week. It is infuriating and more people should be angry about this. For the sake of entertainment today and tomorrow.

Comment by TigerNightmare – September 26, 2013 09:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Seek therapy.

Comment by wrstlgirl – September 26, 2013 10:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Get bent.

Comment by TigerNightmare – September 26, 2013 10:09 AM PDT
          • Get Bent? Watch out everyone, internet tough guy over here. Just ignore him everyone, and the troll will troll elsewhere, cause he obviously won’t stop trolling.

Comment by The Truth – September 26, 2013 10:57 AM PDT
          • Internet tough guys threaten violence, in case you thought I was one of those.

Comment by TigerNightmare – September 26, 2013 04:27 PM PDT
        • I completely agree.

Comment by TVAddict – September 26, 2013 10:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • It’s quite easy to understand. You hope a show you don’t like gets canceled so that another show can take its place. A show that you may actually like.

Comment by Dav – September 26, 2013 09:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • That’s when people need to be told, “it’s not all about you”. ;-)

Comment by TV Gord – September 26, 2013 10:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Whenever one has a show like you do with revolution, just think to yourself “it could have been worse it could have been Painkiller Jane I put the time into.”

Comment by Len – September 26, 2013 08:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • When it became clear around episode 2 or 3 that these idiots had never figured out how to harness the power of the WIND to make some electricity (and while we’re at it, why were there no internal combustion engines? Those don’t need electricity), I gave up. What a stupid stupid stupid show. If you want a great show about the power going out where the characters aren’t complete bimbos and the challenges they face are REAL, rent “Jericho.”

Comment by meem – September 26, 2013 08:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Because watch the dang show that’s why, it explained all of that.

Comment by The Truth – September 26, 2013 10:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t think it’s the worst I’ve committed to, but I didn’t like the premiere. It was all over the place to me. Between the time jumps and the name changes I was confused. The shift in Charlie’s behavior was really strange. For some reason, I’ve never been able to connect with that actress in the role. But also Monroe’s fight club antics were… what? And Aaron has to be one of the wettest blankets in TV history. He’s frazzled all the damn time. He annoys me to no end.

Comment by Lena120 – September 26, 2013 08:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Lena, you can quit. For every show we watch, at some point, we need to ask ourselves, “Why am I watching this?” I wish I did it more often.

Comment by TigerNightmare – September 26, 2013 10:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Don’t know why Revolution got the ratings beat-down by two reality competition series that still won’t go away and by all means “ignored” in Survivor and The X Factor. Are you still going to give up watching Survivor, X Factor or both?

Comment by Flacco Kaepernick – September 26, 2013 09:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Not sure what you’re saying, but I don’t watch any of those shows.

Comment by TigerNightmare – September 26, 2013 09:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • My opinion: #KeepRevolution

Comment by Flacco Kaepernick – September 26, 2013 10:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Oh, so you were asking why counter programming to reality competition doesn’t draw its own sizable demographic of genre fans. I happen to be one of those people and I’m pretty sure I’ve been heard how I feel about Revolution. Last night, I was watching The Middle. Next week, I’ll be watching Arrow. If it was a better show, I and others would still be watching.

Comment by TigerNightmare – September 26, 2013 04:18 PM PDT
  • Wednesdays at 8 p.m. has been a “black hole” for NBC but I really don’t know if Revolution is going to survive that time slot depending on ratings and if it doesn’t hold up, better pray.

Comment by Flacco Kaepernick – September 26, 2013 08:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have no DVR and while I enjoyed Revolution last year I did not enjoy it enough to change from my normal Wednesday shows

Comment by Amanda – September 26, 2013 08:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow, the first ratings to surprise me this tv week is SVU’s! That show is hella old, had no buzz coming into this season and didn’t have a significantly higher lead-in. So what is to explain for this resurgence?

Comment by uniqblue69 – September 26, 2013 09:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • #SaveBenson

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – September 26, 2013 09:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Oh, okay. I don’t watch much NBC so I didn’t really see any promos. However, isn’t that woman always in peril? I swear she racked up as many emmy nominations she did because her character was always fighting for her life!

Comment by uniqblue69 – September 26, 2013 09:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • predictable outcome for revolution, unfortunatly i agree with most and see even more drop once arrow comes back. I for one enjoy Arrow far more than revolution. it’s too bad Modern Family dropped i loved both episodes.

Comment by James D – September 26, 2013 09:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Looks like CBS won Tuesday and Wednesday in total viewers (not necessarily the demo–especially on Tuesday) and will most likely win tonight with Big Bang’s return. Les Moonves’ job is secure for the time being!

Comment by dan – September 26, 2013 09:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • CBS hasn’t had a great premier week so far but Thursday will be its saving grace. Or should I say…Big Bang Theory will.

Comment by Aimee – September 26, 2013 10:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Unless the Crazy Ones flops.

Comment by Patrick – September 26, 2013 12:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Putting a show that aired at 10PM on 2 hours earlier was a huge mistake. Revolution is not a 8PM show, as the audience is more adult, and usually watches the later prime time shows. NBC dropped the ball on this one.

Comment by mikey – September 26, 2013 09:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The 7+ million who watched X-Factor watched 2 of the worst hours on TV in years. I bet there will be a BIG drop off after that fiasco.

Comment by Alienate – September 26, 2013 09:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m impressed by SVUs performance last night given that it managed to gain almost a whole demo point from last season’s average. I believe it is mainly due to the “casual” fan who has watched on and off throughout the years coming back to see Benson in such a predicament… It was billed as a Benson episode, and it delivered.

CM disappointed me last night. The case seemed very pedestrian, and I was tipoff that something was not right in the investigation when they never showed what happen to the Barista girl the suspect spoke to…. To me this episode was not worthy of a premiere. So the 2.8 was better than what it deserved.

CSI delivered…. Morgan has grown on me, and seeing Brass so broken at the end was sad.. The 2.1 should have been much higher.

Revolution’s 1.8 is not great, but it is what the show was averaging near the end of last season.

I agree with some about MF… It has become very predictable, and I expect that my the middle of the season those 4s will be near low 3s…

Back in the Game — its numbers are typical for whatever ABC places at that slot…. Will continue to drop.

Nashville… Sure it got the boost from MF, but it maintained the demo for the entire hour. I say that it will hang around a 1.9 to 2.1 until spring…

As a Survivor fan, I’m still enjoying the show. Nice to see Tina and Gervase back on the show. I can’t stand Colton though and his antics deserved him to be booted. Rupert made a mistake by choosing to take over his wife’s spot, but hey got to give it to him he bought himself some loving back home… Nice to see BB Hayden in another Guy alliance. Can we call it the Brigade II?

Comment by eridapo – September 26, 2013 10:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I really liked Hayden on Big Brother and so far on Survivor. I just laugh at Colton, and sad to see Rupert go so soon but this is his third or maybe even fourth time so enough is enough. I get tired of BB and Survivor bring back the same people all the time. This family/girlfriend, etc. twist has really amped up the game, at least for me. This season is gonna be interesting, especially when they merge.

Comment by wrstlgirl – September 26, 2013 10:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was upset with the death in the season premiere of Revolution until the end!

Comment by blessedbrother – September 26, 2013 10:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow…Wednesday night is the worst night of the week for me. I don’t care about any shows except Criminal Minds and even that doesn’t hold the appeal for me that it used to. I guess I will be using Wednesdays to catch up on my DVR viewing.

Comment by Aimee – September 26, 2013 10:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That’s my issue with Thursday. There is nothing on that I watch. I might give Neverland a try when it starts but I’m about to pull the plug on the original OUAT so we’ll see. If the story telling in S3 doesn’t improve I think I’m gonna bail. I became very disinterested in S2 but stuck with it.

Comment by wrstlgirl – September 26, 2013 10:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I stopped watching SVU a number of years ago, but started watching again midway through last season. It has had such a creative upswing in the last year or so, and last night was just an incredible episode.

Comment by CJ – September 26, 2013 10:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • SVU was spectacular last night.. Mariska earned every dollar of her pay check

Comment by Tiffany – September 26, 2013 10:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m eagerly awaiting the premieres of Arrow and The Tomorrow People since I don’t watch anything else on the other networks. Those two series should bring in solid ratings for the CW.

Comment by Jared – September 26, 2013 11:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • 8 o’clock is just too early for me to sit down and watch TV, so I’ll mostly catch up online.

But, Mariska was incredible last night, as was Pablo Schreiber. And I really thought it was well written. I like how they are including flashbacks to some new scenes from her ordeal in the subsequent episodes. It gives the viewer more insight and details without subjecting us to the trauma all at once? Well done, SVU!

Comment by Jenna – September 26, 2013 11:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Very happy for SVU, I hope NBC continue it’s 3-day streak of average/high ratings with Parks & Recreation tomorrow!

Comment by Eddie – September 26, 2013 02:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Goodbye X Factor, start promoting your show as the farewell season lol! Revolution obviously you aren’t the show you thought you were changing things around and not having Voice lead in sealed your fate.If this is a big budget show it will be toast as well! Back in the Game is horrid and will die after few episodes.Modern Family does not represent me as a gay and is gross gross show is all same every episode with that barking screaming woman as well, who can stand that? I gladly killed that show from my viewing years ago. Nashville is starting to grate and may dump that show. This leaves Survivor, The Middle, and SVU and CW line-up!

Comment by DavidSask – September 26, 2013 04:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have to admit, Modern Family is off the DVR for now due to too many recording conflicts. It’s easy enough to find online the next day, especially now that I actually went through the effort of recovering my password for Xfinity’s website, lol. So…yeah. Sorry, Modern Family. For now, I’m recording SVU and Sunny in that time slot. Sunny in general has not been very funny the last few years, but they had a super good episode last week with their make fun of the Emmys and Emmy winning shows episode.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – September 26, 2013 11:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like both revolution and survivor, but for me (and a few million others) survivor trumps revolution. I hope the cocky NBC exec. who thought they could win this matchup enjoy their new jobs with community access tv!

Comment by Exactly – October 1, 2013 08:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Have you heard when George Eads will return to CSI? Have many episodes will he miss?

Comment by Ruth – October 3, 2013 03:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post