CBS Boss Addresses Cote de Pablo's NCIS Exit: 'We Offered Her a Lot of Money'

Why Cote de Pablo Left NCIS

CBS didn’t let NCIS leading lady Cote de Pablo go without a fight.

“I really want to clarify: We offered Cote de Pablo a lot of money — and then we offered her even more money,” CBS Corp. president and CEO Les Moonves shared Monday morning at the Television Critics Assoc. summer press tour in Beverly Hills. “We really didn’t want to lose her, we love her. We think she’s terrific. We obviously were in discussions… and ultimately she decided she didn’t want to do the show. It was her decision. We don’t like losing anybody. We did everything humanly possible [and] exhausted every opportunity, and she just decided she didn’t want to do the show.”

RELATED | Fall TV: Get Premiere Dates for NCIS, NCIS: LA and Other CBS Shows

News of de Pablo’s imminent exit from TV’s most watched drama came on July 10, barely a week before NCIS began production on its upcoming season and two months after Criminal Minds actresses Kirsten Vangsness and A.J. Cook endured their own protracted contract talks, as they sought greater pay parity with their male costars.

At the time de Pablo tendered her decision, she issued a statement saying, “I’ve had eight great years with NCIS and Ziva David. I have huge respect and affection for Mark [Harmon], Gary [Glasberg], Michael [Weatherly], David [McCallum], Rocky [Carroll], Pauley [Perrette], Brian [Dietzen], Sean [Murray], all of the team and CBS. I look forward to finishing Ziva’s story.”

RELATED | NCIS Exclusive: First Details From Show’s WTF?! Season Premiere

NCIS opens Season 11 on Tuesday, Sept. 24, where its new time slot rivals include ABC’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. and The CW’s Vampire Diaries spin-off The Originals.

1. Jessica says:

He kind of makes her look money hungry. Maybe she was just done. People are sometimes just done. He shouldn’t have brought money into the conversation at all.

• June says:

But if they offered her a huge amount of money and she didn’t accept it, I take from that that she’s not hungry for money at all. She just didn’t want to carry on with the show and that’s all. It’s been 8 years in the same role, maybe she’s just tired of it.

• bradick says:

Exactly how I interpreted the situation. Money didn’t seem to be the issue for her at all.

• Ben Lunt says:

I have to agree with this. Sometime we forget our favorite TV personalities are artists and after having ‘painted this scene’ for as long as she could, she wants to try something else. I would not be surprised if some studio hasn’t secretly offered her a movie deal – maybe for more than one script.

• Nada Young says:

She will truly be missed. I am disappointed she is leaving. Wish there was some way she would stay for the fans. Nada Young Ft Worth Texas Fan

• sandy b says:

Thank you for all the replies about it not being about money I thought that from the very beginning when they said she was leaving. That it wasn’t about money maybe she just wants to do other things in life!!!!! I hate to see her go as I hated it when Kate left!!! I think they should have her leave as the new Director of Mossad now that would be awesome! Sorry but I couldn’t work with the character of Tony he drives me so crazy sometimes I get so tired of him I can’t watch it for awhile I absolutely love everyone else on the show!!! GOOD LUCK COTE IN WHATEVER YOU DO I WILL MISS ZIVA!!!!

• sandra fenton-goss says:

i want to wish cote de pablo all the very best for the future and i will truely miss her she is the best no one else can replace her they need another male such as the new agent in colteral damage as he is good and would give tony a run for his money many thanks ziva have enjoyed you so very much

• cloudwaltzer says:

Her contract was to be renewed but she turned all offers down! SHE wanted to move on – her decision!

• MJW says:

l am saddened to see Cote leave the show, she was really a great person -despite being with Mossad- she maybe was getting a bit type cast and people always refer to her as Ziva, the new series is not the same, Zivas replacement is nothing like either of the girls before her, Kate and Ziva, this one has NO BITE, she is not really field agent material and she does not fit into the gang as they are, and to change any of their characters – as producers often do,and ruin them- to fit them into this new girl, l cannot even remember her name, l did not like EJ either, too cocky for my liking, ladies are not supposed to be cocky, leave that to the fellas, this new one also gives off a cold feeling, and as my hubby said she should open her mouth properly when talking and l think her voice does not project enough, no power, Wish in some way we could get Cote back as Ziva in some episodes and put Tony out of his misery, the characters obviously loved each other despite them going with others. Please sort it out producers otherwise the show will just become like a lot of other shows, BORING.

• Ben Lunt says:

I believe there is an awful hangover since the producers botched dealings with Cote. The writers are working hard, the actors are working hard, but the smell of greedy men holding the reins has ruined the viewing. They are businessmen and they made a business decision. It was the wrong decision, and now they are pouring in WAY more money to try and save the show. They will fail. Hubris is not an attractive or effective operational attribute.

• CMG says:

That’s not what he was saying or even trying to say. In fact, he was saying exactly the opposite, that her decision to leave had absolutely nothing to do with money.

• Kim B says:

I agree. Two actresses from NCIS wanted the same compensation as their male counterparts. It’s obviously an issue with long-term shows and their actors. It may have been addressed for that reason…to say that Cote wanted to leave because….she was finished.

• Thomas D Barber says:

I think that when Ziva goes so will some viewers she is the butt kicker

• Marissa says:

If Ziva was what kept people attracted to this show they’re free to go.

• Bill says:

i think that the show will really go down hill now.She was one that keep the show really worth watching. It was the same ole show until she came on the seen. Killing off people show after show. She made the show what it is today. Her and Tony was something to watch. You never knew what they were going to do next. I really really hate to see her leave. There has to be more than what is being told about her leaving. Money isn’t everything I know,but there is something else behind her leaving out of no where.It just be the same now. I’ll have to find another show to see. NCIS LA proves that point. It was not any where close to being as good as NCIS. hell let her own part of the show if that is what it takes to keep her happy and on the show.

• diane armaro says:

I just hope they bring in a character at least half as interesting as her. (None of those know it all blondes that think they have a “bigger one” than the men on the show, like that Paula Cassidy

• Ben says:

The reason no one likes those ‘blondes who think they have a bigger one than the men’ characters is because they are written by men and are really ‘men in skirts’, if you analyze their psychology. Even some female writers produce these twisted characters because their male bosses, who are idiots, insist upon it. The thing about Ziva, the Mariska Hargitay character and many of the other great female characters is they really seem like women, not Jason Bourne in drag.

• greg says:

i think if she is leaving on her own the get a new zeva keep the integraty of the show don’t get a new person a blond we want the story line and it,s ziva we want not the actor i hate losing cote ‘but don’t make us loss ziva please

• Laura Aliaga says:

That’s not how I see it at all. I think he’s just trying to clarify that this wasn’t a money dispute and that CBS did absolutely everything it could to keep her. The fact that they threw an obscene offer at her tells me she is, in fact, NOT money hungry, just ready to move on.

• Mary Beth says:

Saying they offered her a lot of money – twice – doesn’t mean they offered her the right amount of money. Mark Harmon, Michael Weatherly and Sean Murray all make very nice salaries, but I recall Pauley Perrette having some difficulty with salary negotiations a few years ago, and Michael Weatherly had them last year. Pauley Perrette had a moment on her Twitter feed with everyone asking her about it, and she said the same thing: she just left. Women traditionally don’t make as much money as their male counterparts in any industry, much less TV. Cote comes out classier in the battle of statements for not invoking the money monster, though.

• dmac says:

Lets be honest, no one should on that show does or should get more money than Mark Harmon. As for Sean and Michael, they have been on the show from day one and yes, that does entitle them to make more than Cota. I don’t think it is a men vs. women salary negotiation, I think she wanted to go. What I found hilarious is how several people on this site immediately jumped to the conclusion that they wouldn’t pay her what she wanted. They even sited how the character of Kate was let go from the show, when the actress playing repeatedly said she asked to be killed off because she wanted to spend more time with her family. Criminal Minds is it’s own mess, yet it is being linked to the way CBS does business which simply isn’t the case. Sometimes actors want to leave and people need to take these things at their face value.

• mewofford says:

Actually Sean Murray didn’t appear til about half way thru season 1 and didn’t earn billing until season 2. And I understand Sasha Alexander did not ask for Kate to be killed. TPTB decided that for her.
            I think if Cote had wanted to leave she would have told them very early on. This release today – it sounds like ass covering by CBS to me. Something else was going on.

• DCC says:

dmac – Sean has been on one less year than Michael. Not that one year either way should make a huge difference after 10 years on the air.

• Mary Beth says:

It doesn’t hurt Sean Murray’s negotiating position that his stepfather is Charles Bellasario, NCIS’ (and JAG’s!) co-creator and major show runner. His stepbrother, David Bellasario, played Chip, Abby’s lab assistant that tried to frame Tony for murder and had a recurring role on JAG. Mark Harmon is now an executive producer, as he should be, but Michael Weatherly didn’t sign his new contract until late in the summer last year due to a contract dispute. (He alluded to it when he was doing interviews for guest-starring on The Closer on TNT and refused, very nicely, to discuss it on Letterman.). I always think it’s interesting that you don’t see Mark Harmon in any more big-budget movies, just that John Sandford cable-only movie, or anyone else from the cast in any big-budget films. I wonder if theyre locked tight into exclusivity agreements; Michael Weatherly said, very prettily, something to the effect of him not being able to pursue guest-star opportunities like The Closer when he was under contract. Charles Bellisario has to be given credit for keeping his starring casts together for such long runs.

• Sean’s first episode was Sub Rosa, the 7th episode of S1. He appeared in 8 episodes in the first season and started the second season as a regular cast member. Even so, he does not deserve the same money as those who were there from the pilot episode. But he did deserve more than de Pablo got as a regular and definitely more than she’ll get as a day player in her two (three?) episodes in S11.

• dan fogel says:

Marybeth
            It’s Don Bellisario, not Charles Bellisario. And Don Bellisario is not hands on with NCIS. In fact, the reason Mark Harmon almost didn’t sign a new contract 3 yrs ago was because of Bellesario.

• Bill says:

Is that the reason she went to another show?

• Linda says:

The ‘right amount of money’? I’ve heard that she gets, or would get, $220,000 per show. In my opinion, that’s an obscene amount of money. Many of us would be lucky to have that amount in our 401k when we retire.

I can totally understand if she is just ready to move on to something else.

• Patrick says:

I think this is about Cote wanting a personal life. She has a long term boyfriend, and she may want a family. She is entering the downslope of a woman’s prime child bearing years. Having a time consuming job makes that difficult. She has a ton, and I mean a TON, of money. Her family is fairly well off, so she is probably set, money wise. Maybe she wants a family. She can take 2-3 years “off” to enjoy motherhood, and then come back.

She can do one or two guest appearances a year, assuming they don’t kill her off. She will get six to seven figures for 2-4 weeks of work. Why not.

• marge says:

Thank you. That says it all.

• RJ says:

Weatherly earns 175 an episode. Pray tell why should she make so much more than an actor with his pedigree?

• Mary Beth says:

Michael signed for an “undisclosed amount” per episode per season for his new contract and probably points on the back end (syndication to USA, DVD sales, etc.) since they didn’t make him a producer. Pauley Perrette negotiated for and received extra security for safety from her ex-husband. Sometimes compensation isn’t always flat cash per episode – sometimes it’s deferred compensation, like royalties – in which the artist is interested. They do have to retire eventually, and it’s nice to have those royalty or points checks come in every quarter or six months.

• Jeff Lampert says:

Obscene? Jerry Seinfeld was paid $1million per episode. Alex Rodriguez in baseball earns $154k per game!

Frankly, one of the related articles is how the female leads on Criminal Minds are also having their issues. Other than Joe Montegna, is anyone a “name”?

I agree that the CBS spokesman seemed to go out of his way to say it wasn’t a money issue. The lady doth protest too much. But, at 8 years, it could just be that Cote asked for more money to compensate her for being type cast. How did Brent Spinner, formerly “Data” from Star Trek Next Generation pan out? A weird role on “Independence Day”. Or Ducky Mallard’s David MacCallum after Man from Uncle [aside, in 2003 he played Donald Mallard's on cousin show JAG]. Once type cast, hard sometimes to break the mold. Could be Cote wanted big-time money to be type cast. I mean, 8 years…

• steven laporte says:

They Need To Do What Ever They Have To To Keep Cote She Is Well Loved And A very Beautiful Actress If They Let Her Go Dont Think The Show Will Be That Good In A Way She Helps Make The Show Try To Give Her What She Wants

• Alisa Neely says:

i’m sorry, let her GO….she is NOT that special….and imo, she does NOT deserve the amount of money that michael gets…..he gets extra for DIRECTING eppies…..and the show will be just FINE with out her….NOW tptb can focus on the OTHER CHARACTERS they HAVE…..and STOP turning STRONG MALE CHARACTERS STUPID, in order to make ziva look good.

• RJ says:

She’s gone, Steven. She’s done.

• Sandy Logsdon says:

I agree with Steve. They need to do whatever they can to keep Cote on the show. I was hoping that Ziva and Tony would get together.

• Sally J says:

They aren’t letting her go. The want her. She is making the decision. We can only hope that somewhere along the line, she may change her mind and decide to return. Many actors and actresses have not made it outside of their series.

• Tav says:

@ Mary Beth, EXACTLY. CBS doesn’t come close to offering salary parity to their actresses, and now it looks like they’re trying to shift fault to Cote with “it was a lot of money!!!” rather than confess “we wouldn’t offer equal pay.”
          And if the previous contract situations with AJ Cook/Paget Brewster (CM), Melina Kanakaredes (CSI: NY), Jorja Fox/Liz Vassey (CSI) are any indication, CBS absolutely DOESN’T care about losing actresses and actually tries to push them out the door.

• Daisy Day says:

I agree, parity seems to be an issue when women are negotiating the terms of contract renewal.

• CAB says:

@Tav and @Mary Beth I totally agree with you. A LOT of money is a totally disingenuous statement – A LOT as compared to what I make would look huge. A LOT compared to Weatherly might be tiny.

Also find it funny how information gets twisted. I don’t recall seeing anywhere that she was asking for more money than Harmon or Weatherly – the TV Guide piece (PS – TVGuide is owned by CBS) I saw said she was pushing for a one year contract “closer in pay” to Weatherly. While CBS was pushing for two years at a lower rate. Now Moonves claims she was offered “A LOT” of money and they did everything humanly possible to keep her. So, which story is correct, CBS? You can’t have it both ways.

There are many things about this situation that make no sense at all – why negotiate at all if she wanted to leave? Why not walk when her contract was up? Or if she wanted to leave why wait til a week before filming for season 11 started? If she wanted to leave why were her cast mates and show runner blind sided by her decision such that they had to re-write the first several scripts?

But the biggest by far to my thinking is – why are we only hearing from CBS in all of this? Where is Ms. de Pablo in all of these discussions? She may be a private person and not present on social media – but she’s still an actress with an agent and/or PR person. Make a simple 2-3 line statement saying, “Fans, I love you and I love NCIS but it was time for me to take on other projects.” Her only statement at this time regarding her departure says nothing of the sort. If the fan outcry is this loud over her departure, then surely CBS would not only WANT her to make a statement, they’d be actively ENCOURAGING it and please dont claim NDAs…there is no way on earth an NDA would prevent her from making a simple statement saying she was ready and willing to leave the show.

I do think there is more going on here than simply Ms. de Pablo’s desire to leave and hopefully more information will come out as time goes on. And as a fan of Ms de Pablo she has my support and best wishes.

• Bill says:

you sure got that right. maybe she did need to make as much money as her male parts did on this show. every one of the cast except Mark has had money problems staying on the show.She just showed that she didn’t have to take a little more money instead of her pride. She has class all the way around. If they really wanted to keep her she would still be on the show for next season. Something is rotten here and they tell us what they want to and hope we believe it. I don’t believe it . They show is on its last legs now, just watch and see.

• Sheryl Jackson says:

Thank you, I believe you are correct something just doesn’t seem right, were not getting all the information on the situation you can tell that by the way it all went down.

• sandy b says:

Mary Beth, Pauley is still on the show and has been since it started. and to dmac so has ducky!

• Shirey says:

It is the chemistry of actors that retain many viewers. This one has the chemistry and she will be missed and very hard to replace. Again, it was not about money. CBS’s loss!

• Wilma Vanhille says:

I strongly agree with CAB’s statement of 7/19/13 and Shirey’s of the same date: Good thinking expressed and good chemistry, for sure, accounts for the success of the show. JAG used to be my favorite show and NCIS has been since then. Great care should be taken with de Pablo’s replacement ! I view NCIS as my family. I watch every episode repeatedly, despite my disdain (from the beginning) for Tony’s SO-childish antics. They must fill some need in me. I loved Sasha Alexander ! I love Cote de Pablo — both so different, with backgrounds that justify those differences — but both so great in the part ! I’d like the show to run another 10 years. If that’s too great an expectation, please do your utmost anyway by the choice you make to fill the shoes of these special women ! Wilma

• Bill says:

If you look at it now. Harm and the Col. were just like Tony and Ziva. I still have every show of JAG. It was the greatest one except for NCIS. What happen at the end of JAG. Was it a coin toss and never a nother show. We were left to think of what ever happen. JAG could have kept going but no way.We were left out in the cold on what would happen They could have handle both if different ways and kept the show in tack. Now they are putting Ziva out of the show and hoping to find someone to take her place. Not going to happen. the show will be gone in two years watch and see.

• rube says:

somebody screwed the pooch! NCIS will now die a slow death. It was the ONLY show worth watching. No more TV. However, I can’t blame her if it’s a personal life decision–it is what it is…

• Amanda says:

I think the money thing actually is reflective as good on her and the network. They were willing to do a lot to keep her, but in the end, it was all her decision.

• Katrinka says:

If she was “just done” she wouldn’t have waited until one week before production started to quit. I’m certain the writers were working on a Plan B if this happened, but in my opinion you don’t leave people in the lurch who you claim to have “huge respect & affection” for.

• dmac says:

Umm, I think she left them in the lurch not the other way around. They kept offering her a higher salary and she refused…case closed.

• Katrinka says:

Ummm, that was my point…she left the people she respects & has affection for in the lurch. Especially the creative team & writers.

• LC says:

See, and I took it completely the opposite. The way I read it, no matter how much money they offered her, she wasn’t coming back. Personally, I think it makes CBS look bad for trying to buy her, doesn’t make her look bad. I’m sad to lose her, but glad she’s leaving on her own terms.

• It makes them look like a business trying to keep someone they valued. What makes her look bad is she dithered until the last minute and left them in the lurch.

• dmac says:

Are you freaking kidding me, first people were complaining that CBS wasn’t offering her enough money and now they indicated that they did indeed offering her a huge raise and she refused you are now saying “they were trying to buy her” that is what salary negotiations are…

• Joy McQueen says:

I still love the show even without Ziva.Gibbs,Tony,McGee,,Ducky.i love them

• dmac says:

No, he was answering critics who insinuated that they did not offer Cota a raise and that is why she was leaving.

• ncis4evr says:

Moonves brought money into the discussion because the extreme Cote fans were bashing CBS , assuming that Ms de Pablo left because they didn’t offer her a fair amount. They had no choice but to defend themselves against the accusations. And there’s no way of knowing whether she was demanding even “more” money than they offered. IMO, CBS made her look good and stated several times they wanted her to stay.

• Andrea says:

Agreed ncis4evr, and if the issue of equality, who the person is that you’re supposedly equal to matters. Cote’s career is not equal to Michael’s or Mark’s. Not because of gender but because of number…number of years, number of previous projects, etc, and I get tired of hearing Criminal Minds brought up. That’s a unique situation that applies to those actors and actresses and where their careers are and have been previously. What applies to that situation does not necessarily apply to this one just because Cote’s a woman.

• Bill says:

what their fair amount might have been way less than she wanted to do the show. Why not tell everyone what she wanted to stay and the offer they made her. then we can see just what did happen and why she left the show. I bet CBS would really be in a bad lime light.Tell the truth about what really happen and not something wrote to make her her look money hungry.

• CBWBDK1 says:

You should read it again and again. Maybe then you will understand what he means.

• Vigdis says:

As long as Gibbs and Abby stays we will be here

• Kate says:

Same. While Gibbs, Tony, Abby and Ducky are still there so am I. I’m actually excited to see Ziva go as even though she’s the ‘newest’ member her storylines have been 2nd to only Gibbs. With her father dying it’s a good time for her character to move on and let us see more of the other members before the show’s end.

• screwsoaper says:

So Cote spit the dummy – so what – the new blonde chick will take up the slack – I still miss the other girl. Why did they kill her. I supose some boss hot-shot didn’t like her.

• lou says:

Is he trying to make her look that way or are you just having a negative interpretation?

• Barb says:

i agree sounded like she was ready to end it with NCIS, I have to admit I will hate to see her character leave.

• Jim Shannon says:

totally agree Jessica the big business always thinks that people are like them in the aspect of being bought.. some people (not to many) just want to enjoy their lives and do waht makes them happy .. going to miss Ziva but it is her decision..

• Frank Kent says:

The only bad thing about losing Cote (Ziva) is that when you start losing main characters, the show usually starts to break apart and die. Unfortunately, I am willing to bet (and I truly hope that I am wrong on this) that this is one of the last 1 or 2 seasons of NCIS I do agree that it was not about money. I think that Cote just wanted to have a personal life for a while. The negotiations were just to get her to stay. She wasn’t going to anyway, no matter how much they threw at her.

• Alisa Neely says:

if that was the case…..then she should have told BOTH her agent and lawyer, she DIDN’T want to even bother with contract talks….rather then WASTE everyone’s time….jmo.

• Ben Lunt says:

Years ago the cast of ‘Friends” stuck together and negotiated a deal where all six of them got $1 million per episode, each. This lasted quite a while, but I cannot say how long. The numbers people are mentioning here are a lot – from a mechanics perspective (me) – but not so much in the land of Hollywood. Still, a star like Cote De Pablo might be a good Box Office draw, like Angelina Jolie, who has gotten up to $20 million per film, and she would be silly not to take a shot – if that is her ‘someday’ intention. If it doesn’t work out, at least she took the shot. “At the end of your life you will regret more the things you didn’t do than the things you did.” (I forget who said this – maybe Mark Twain.)

• Maria says:

To all of you – the bottom line – she didn’t care about her loyal followers either. Money or just tired of doing the roll – she is an actor. She would be no where without her fans. NCIS on its 11th season–really how many more….What was that girl’s name who played Ziva on NCIS? Thank you Mark, Michael, Shawn, Paulette, and to the rest of the cast and crew, for letting us enjoy your company this long.

• Vic says:

Give her, HER own show! Along the lines of Alias with a gal we all ready know can kick butt. Or a female “Person of Interest” ! Maybe join ‘P of I’ and team up with John to kick some well deserved butt! Maybe after a break she’ll consider something along the lines of these scenario’s. Like Jess said – it may not be the money, just a chg of scenery.

• Pat Garrison says:

I never miss this show. I even have it recorded if my being home isn’t possible.
      I just want to say that the show will not be the same. What makes the show so great is the interaction between the actors & actresses. You will be missed Ziva.

• I wish she stayed I loved her banter with tony,may be she just wanted to further her acting I will miss her dearly good luck in everything you do

• I could not agree more. If they offered her a raise, and then another raise, and she still left – she either has an offer in the wings that is off the charts or money was not the issue at all. The show did not give me the impression that “Diva” was money hungry.

My thoughts are just the opposite is true. She might simply be burned out and she might have stockpiled a bunch of change and wants to unwind for a while. Nothing wrong with that.

• melissa Shepard says:

you are right Jessica.Money and class do not go together! He goes on and on about Money,as if she is a greedy person.Perhaps she wants to pursue others things.A family.For us fans it is difficult to believe that you would not want to stare at Mark Harmon every day:),be on the number one show,and such a good show watched around the globe.I do not think we are getting the full picture here.She has been fun to watch ,and I wish her good luck .I certainly will miss her.I always wanted her to end up with Tony!
      Im sure the show will survive,it always does.People did not think it would without Kate,and now it is “who is Kate”?
      Enjoy the Season everyone!

• Franklin Rogers says:

I like Ziva, but my wife likes her more than I do. I’d really like to see Tony’s real love, Dr. Jeanne Benoit come back needing help against arms dealers who probably killed her father. When she supossedly went to Africa, she could really been having a child named Antoinette. Tony’s??? Great story line !!

• L. Daliessio says:

I will miss her. Love the show. Semper Fi.

• Gabeeh says:

Well, I guess Cote de Pablo wants to have a TV show of her own. If NCIS ratings drop because of her absence, then CBS will feel the loss, but if NCIS ratings is still the same… there is no loss but gain. Another lady can fill in the role of a lady NCIS agent.

• Sam Kenna says:

ratings are not the same. they are still #1 but losing viewers each week.

• tejasjulia says:

I compared the ratings with the first episodes of last season – the differences are statistically insignificant except where they favor season 11 episodes (that was in two cases, I believe, I’m not looking at the data at the moment). Her leaving hasn’t hurt ratings and may end up helping them. We’ll see how things run for the season.

2. mellafe says:

Noo, Ziva. I wonder what she’ll do next, though.

• Badpenny says:

Her first love is actually singing and dancing. I’m actually surprised she stayed with the show as long as she did; but now she has enough money to do whatever she wants for the rest of her life. Who knows, maybe she wants a family.

3. Wonder if this will put an end to the ones threatening everyone associated with the show.

4. StupidPeopleShutUp says:

Eight years is a long time. Shelf life in Hollywood for young ethnic women is limited. She wants to do other things, her opportunity clock is ticking. End of story.

5. Pickle8182 says:

They must have really wanted her, since CBS is well known for letting their female actors go at the drop of a hat. It’s too bad. I’ve heard she’s a little full of herself, but I’ll miss her. Bet “Tony” does too.

• Doubt that Tony will miss her as more than a friend – Michael Weatherly was on record as opposing the whole TIVA debacle.

• Annie says:

That may be, but Michael doesn’t get to make that decision, he’s not a writer. And honestly, I believe the writers fully intended to get Tony and Ziva together in the series finale of the show (a la Harm and Mac from JAG) but now, I really have no idea what might happen.

• sladewilson says:

If they don’t kill her off, they still can. She would probably be more than willing to walk Michael off like George Clooney did Julianne Marguiles for ER. Personally, I was always hoping that if they had enough time to really give NCIS a proper send-off, Scottie Thompson would return to walk off Michael seeing as I just happen to think Jeanne was the love of Tony’s life… JMO. Still, it would be nice to see Cote return to walk off the crew at the end…

I wish her well and good luck…

• dmac says:

But Michael doesn’t want to leave. LOL

• dmac says:

That is what you believe, but isn’t what the producers said at all.

• Badpenny says:

And yet for 3 seasons he started they year telling the fans “this is the year of TIVA.” He won’t get to say that for season 11. :)

• Callie N says:

SO tired of this debate. MW was not “on record as opposing the whole TIVA debacle.” Michael has said some controversial things about Tiva in the past, but if you really want to say he’s been on record for that, the fact that you haven’t done more research is obvious. If you’ve even seen a few of his tweets after/during Tiva scenes, you would know that his position on Tiva is way more positive than negative (simply speaking from what I’ve witnessed in interviews, read, and seen on his Twitter page). Also, Cote has gone on record saying she and Michael frequently CAMPAIGN for Tiva scenes. And ultimately, the fact that an article about Cote/pro-Tiva comment is now being turned into yet another anti-Tiva opportunity is pretty upsetting.. You don’t think the Tiva-shipping community has been hit enough the past couple of weeks? Think about if you spent years (some as many as EIGHT) shipping a couple, and then when they were finally getting somewhere, they were torn apart (to clarify-I am upset about Cote leaving, but I will always respect her and wish her the best). That’s really all I can ask you to think about, and basically just to give shippers some peace in this difficult time.

• ClassicNCISfan says:

Shipping major characters on a show should ALWAYS be left for fanfic.

The show itself (outside of Shane Brennan) never promised any type of Tiva outcome to the shippers. They greedily demanded more & more and to have it be blatant and then canon. It’s their own fault if they’re in ‘mourning’ and whining and wailing still.

The Buzz Feed interview very obviously told what Weatherly has been hinting at for years regarding Tiva

• RJ says:

Do you think Weatherly tweets all his own tweets? Those accounts are owned by CBS network, and the ones that are not, have passwords known to the network PR machine. Weatherly was more than frank in several interviews, and you people too him quite utterly to task, insinuating such things as he was under the influence of controlled substances, rather than accepting the man has an opinion counter to yours.

• Pete says:

Yes, it’s all about what the Tiva shippers are entitled to, regardless of what any of the other viewers want out of the show.

It just so happens that there are some shippers who have been eagerly lapping up little hints to fire their imaginations for 10+ years, most of whom have been trampled on particularly in season 10 by the Tiva monster. And then there are shock, horror, viewers that don’t actually want romance in their crime drama, turning it into a soap. But of course, none of them matter because the Tiva fans are upset that they haven’t got what they wanted.

• Who is Tiva? Are you talking about Ziva? If so, some fan you are.

6. JCK says:

The sad thing [to me] is that we will need to get used to a new female. And IMO the NCIS writers just can’t write for women. I like Jamie Lee Curtis, and Lauren Holly, but hated them on NCIS. I love Sasha Alexander on R&I, but not at all on NCIS. Maybe it isn’t the writers, maybe it’s the director, but the women [except Abby] are just not likable on this show.

• Alison says:

It’s interesting to hear someone else say this. I thought I was the only one who felt that way.

• Babygate says:

Nope. I believe that CBS shows reflect a kind of ‘subterranean sexism’ that has been fully embraced by its audience. The only woman-fronted show on CBS is The Good Wife which has terrible ratings, even if it is highly acclaimed and it is produced by a couple. Others have failed, including Unforgettable which they resurrected for the summer and the opened to so-so ratings. There is also 2 Broke Girls, a show so crass and tasteless that only men can find it appealing. IMO, the only reason this show has worked at all is because they have two hot girls and big boobs to draw the audience because quality television this show is not. IMO, CBS likes to pander to the likes of Chuck Lorre and Greg Garcia and shows little respect for their female audience.

• Abby is not that likable anymore. She was so cool the first season and then the writers turned her into a whiny baby

• Ace says:

I thought it was just me. Abby was so knowledgeable and authoritative in the first couple of seasons, even her voice was different. Why did she morph into an overgrown 6 year old?

• Alex says:

Because the actors haven’t had their asses kicked by the writers for a long time. They’ve not been dramatically challenged; they seem to love the cutsie and Perrette seems to skew everything that way too; just as Weatherly always skews goofball. Signs of an aging series.

• lll says:

It’s refreshing to hear someone say that, because I totally agree. I honestly feel like that for a lot of other shows, not just NCIS.

• Jean says:

I think they did a really great job writing the Ziva character, and I hate that now we have to get used to someone new. I really hope they don’t kill her off, so that maybe she can return in the future. That would be awesome, but I doubt it will happen.

7. BusterChap says:

TV’s most watched and ‘overrated’ drama to be exact! No investigative agency could possibly operate like this one appears to do! I know it’s television but it isn’t close to reality!

• Badpenny says:

What’s close to reality? Bones? Castle? H5O?
      Television isn’t supposed to be close to reality. It’s supposed to be watchable. The reality is that the bad guy is caught in 42 minutes. No one cares that it takes 2-3 more years to convict him of the crime. :)

8. H.Houston says:

I am offended on her behalf. He makes her look like a money-wh*re. I don’t believe that is the case at all. All of this time they have teased a REAL story line with Ziva and Tony… they continued and kept promising fans that they would do it. They never did, they never fulfilled their promise to the fans and maybe that is why she finally had had enough. Maybe she looks at her fans and the only way that she can essentially stop the fans from yet again being let down by the writers is to actually remove herself from the situation. Yes it sucks, yes we as fans have been promised for YEARS that Tony and Ziva would get together… and the writers continued to screw us over. I don’t care what excuse they give. And I am tired of hearing about the “moonlighting curse” – we the fans are over it and are tired of writers using it as a way to avoid giving us the promised couples. Other shows have now managed to allow the promised relationships to happen and they are still on the air and going strong. Shame on you writers and show runners of NCIS – shame on you for trying to throw the blame on Cote De Pablo and shame on you for breaking your promise to your fans.

• Brandon says:

No he wasn’t.

He was basically saying, no amount of money would’ve made her stay.

It wasn’t about the money to her, she was done/wanted to move on.

• Thank the goddess that they didn’t get Tony and Ziva together. They had no chemistry as sexual partners – their chemistry was sibling/best friend. As for the money issue, I believe he was saying that Cote’s decision had nothing to do with the money.

• Sing it, Sistah! As a fan, I couldn’t be happier that she’s gone. I despise what Ziva’s presence has done to the show and the characters I love. As a person, I applaud her for her decision to leave an incredible job to spend time with her aged grandfather (among other family members, I imagine). Having lost my father (who was in his early 80s) in recent years, I’m glad she’s going to devote time to him. People are more important than jobs any day of the week and once they’re gone, they’re gone and life is too short to live with regrets.

• Ava Klein says:

Thats what I say!! Gibbs is the show!!

• ClassicNCISfan says:

Never were tiva fans promised that the end game was a canon, played out romance between Tony & ziva…that is just what they assumed from the spoilers and interviews

• dmac says:

You might want to dial it down a bit…this isn’t Twighlight, it a procedure show with two characters that some fans wanted to see together. You know what I am glad they didn’t go there, I hate shows that always pair the two leads together, why can’t they stay friends. Just because you saw some preconceived chemistry does not mean that is the way it was going to go down. The producers never promised a TIVA end game, that was all you shippers.

• RJ says:

Oh dear, you have a bit of living to do if you believe that a working pro in this industry would quit a full-time job under the auspices of storyline and thinking best of the fans.

9. Connie says:

Personally I think it was more than money on why she left. Whatever the reason is. It is her business. I wish her all the best. I will miss her and Ziva so much. But over all women of NCIS have drawn the short stick on writing. They are either killed off or written in to a corner looking bad. Hope they next one fares better. Wishing so bad that Tiva could have happened sooner. They dragged it out. Now the fans lose out.

10. Hepha says:

She wanted to do something else, and clearly wasn’t interested in money. So thanks Cote de Pablo for those 8 terrific years of NCIS ! And may the success be with you !
    And I am looking forward to seeing the season 11, which I’m sure will be great !

• papnana says:

I agree with you Hepha, I also think that Season 11 will be great, they still have a great cast & will do wonders. Good Luck NCIS crew & keep up the great work!!!!

• gs says:

I agree with your comment, it’s not always about the money, i look forward to seeing her in other roles and maybe on the big screen and there is always Broadway. I will miss her character too.

11. JT says:

I have a strange feeling that in 2 years Cote will be back at NCIS.

12. papnana says:

IMO Cote was just “done” playing Ziva & wanted out. I believe people like this that make a character famous & then just step out–so to speak–are looking for another role to make famous. We have had other characters that have made a character famous, step out & then thought they could make other characters famous, but failed. Like that guy from I think CSI (sorry I can’t think of his name-David something??) & failed miserably. Don’t know what I want for Cote, especially since NCIS made her as famous as she is & then to just step out, I don’t know……..

• Aprilcot says:

David Caruso left NYPD Blue for “bigger and better” things, only to flounder for about 8 years until CSI: Miami came along.

• Chicago Dan says:

Are you thinking David Caruso when he left NYPD to “star” in movies? He left after four episodes in S2. Not really the same thing. Cote put in 8 years. It’s her choice to do other things. Jorja Fox did a similar thing after several years on CSI because she needed a break, then came back on limited basis, then resumed full-time duty again. At some point, it’s not about the money, but enjoying your life. She’s talented, so she’ll find work and I’m sure NCIS will leave the door open for her to return.

13. RJ says:

Perhaps as has been indicated by many sources, including Cote herself, it was a decision based upon the actress’ life and the choices before her.Mr. Moonves is an accomplished and rather successful CEO of a flourishing corporation. I am certain he knew precisely what his remarks would be.

14. How many more seasons NCIS should last and what are the chances?

• It will last as long as Harmon, Weatherly and Perrette want to do the show. I honestly think they could replace everyone else (Dietzen is already in line to step in for McCallum should that be necessary) and the show could go on.

15. Jenna says:

I’m only a casual NCIS viewer, but I have to say, I admire her for walking. Money isn’t everything. CBS procedurals are mundane. I can imagine how stifling it must be for an actor.

16. DCC says:

I realize that maybe I’m being stubborn about this, but, frankly, this is just CBS’s comments in an effort to get the monkey off their back. They have been taking a pounding from the fans. And since CBS apparently has a history of shafting their female actors, I will still reserve judgment until we hear from Cote herself.

• We have heard from her. She said she left to spend time with her 89 year old grandfather, for example. It was her choice. I just wish she’d made it earlier so she didn’t leave the everyone scrambling to deal with her exit.

• Annie says:

Fun fact: one of the fans actually had personalized m&m’s that said “Bring Cote back” delivered to CBS offices.

• ClassicNCISfan says:

Except for the idea that Cote doesn’t owe her fans a statement on this or anything…so you might be waiting a very long time

• RJ says:

I am certain CBS is well aware of this pounding they and they actors are taking from some very disturbed presumably very young people who think it perfectly acceptable to slander and threaten their idols. Nasty business.

• I wonder how many of her fans also realize that it’s quite within the pattern these things follow for the rage to eventually turn toward their idol before it runs its course. The monster has been spawned, the only question is will it grow in secret or be put under the spotlight as the normal, but angry mass fades away.

17. Stacey says:

“A lot of money” is very different from what she’s worth. Given their history with Criminal Minds, I am very wary of them saying it was her decision. It may of been, but not giving her what she deserved could have resulted that she waited the full summer hiatus period to make the decision which tells me they still weren’t giving her after eight years enough money. The show had expected her back. So if she had wanted to go, she would have announced very early. But waited until the week before the show was due back filming.

• As for what she was worth, if you’re going to look at that, she was VASTLY overpaid.

• Alisa Neely says:

i agree with you…..she was NOT worth what they HAD been paying her to begin with….and was in NO WAY worth even offering her OVER THE MOON $$$$ to get her to stay……and she should have stated right from the GET GO, she wanted to LEAVE before lengthy talks under went and left tptb in a lurtch to figure out a exit storyline.

18. tahina says:

It will be sometime before she can get another show..any show. Her decision. Oh well. ;)

• Sandy says:

I totally agree with you on this one. Who would hire her to lead a role on a show (I wouldn’t) if she just walked away from a top leading show on a major network. I couldn’t risk my show by hiring a actor/actress who with no good reasoning quit even after we offered her more money and a new contract. Fact is, not too many actresses make it out here in the world and with me being an older person, I have seen big moves like this that fail and backfires on the characters. Look at Ironman and the major co-star who refused to do the next movie because he wanted more. Movie went on with a new person who and 3rd movie in talks. Just face it, she should’ve stayed put and continue on and if she didn’t believe it, just ask the ones who WISH they didn’t leave Greys Anatomy which is still a good show without them.

19. JBC says:

They could still write her out with the option of bringing her back. Perhaps she might just need a break. 8 years is a long time and maybe she needs to see if there are other opportunities for her. She is a lovely actress and i wish her well. It is actually perfect timing to write her out, since her tv dad got killed. In real life a death of a loved one is most often the time when people reevaluate their lives. It could work. I wouldn’t mind seeing a male actor join the team, with some guest star actresses recurring once in a while to keep it fresh.

• Stacey says:

It’s just that she gave no indications that she was feeling her time was up. She was promoting the show, went to the May Upfronts. Something tells me it is money why she left. She felt underappreciated despite huge ratings, and very centric Ziva storylines that probably were a lot of emotional to act in… You don’t wait the full hiatus period to suddenly decide you want to leave if it was purely about wanting to leave. The show expected her to return, and therefore now had to revamp plan scripts to deal with the departure… Given CBS history with Criminal Minds, it’s purely money in comparison to the male cast members.

• ClassicNCISfan says:

Not knowing details, pretty much grasping at straws. Something could have happened while on hiatus that made it impossible for her to return. Or she could have been saying no all along but the network kept pitching an offer hoping for a last minute change of mind.

• John says:

Yes, I would expect from his comments they just kept upping their offer hoping to change her decision until the shooting schedule provided a deadline that was unavoidable. With the company being persistent either she or her agents accepted the offers for consideration rather than be rude with a slammed door. Then after a duly polite interval, repeated the no.

The respectful thing to do, IMHO.

Wish her well in her future endeavors as I do all the cast.

• She had shorter time in the show, as well as in her career, than everyone else on the show. She *should* have been making less than everyone else, but she wasn’t. No way should she have been paid as much as Harmon, Weatherly or Murray. Shoot, David McCallum should be being paid much more, he, along with Harmon and Weatherly, is one of the biggest audience draws. The Criminal Minds situation was much different. They had male and female actors who were in similar places in their careers and had been with the show for the same amount of time (and had similar amounts of screen time) who were being vastly undercut salary wise. This has not been an issue with NCIS.

• Stacey says:

I think eight years and how much they used Ziva for storylines granted her the ability to be paid up there with Michael. Maybe not as much as Mark given the show is upfront that it’s Gibbs show first, and everyone else is second on down. But after eight years and how valuable Ziva was to the big event storylines, she warranted close maybe not exactly how much Michael was being paid. And if Pauley was being paid more due to her seniority, let’s hope not. I LOVE Abby. But she’s only used for several scenes a episode. While Gibbs, Tony and Ziva were the heavy hitters… Given the show has gone on for so long. That changes things to me. This is not like it’s only been two years. She’s been there 8 years of the length of the show.

• No, it doesn’t. It’s more than just how much time on screen an actor gets. Weatherly has several series under his belt, as well as a few movies, and brought a fanbase with him. de Pablo was an unknown when she started. This was her first job of any consequence. If she gets another shot at a series (not sure she will as she doesn’t have the chops to carry a show) she’ll be paid more with NCIS on her resume than she would have otherwise. As for Ziva being a “heavy lifter” she’s never carried her weight.

• Stacey says:

To me when a show is year 11, and a actress has been there for eight years. And is heavily used for stories. She deserves to be paid on scale with her closest male. I am not saying she deserved to be paid as much as Mark. The show has been upfront that Mark is the lead, the others are the supporting crew. But doesn’t matter in year 11 whether Michael had vastly successful career before hand, and more experience. It did earlier in the run of the show. But now after eight years, and major ZIVA centric stories. Cote deserved to be up there with Michael. Just because she didn’t start with the show, it shouldn’t matter anymore. It would have at one time. But not anymore. But then it’s a way females get shafted if they are not familiar before being cast. I read once that even a year or two ago Emily Deschanel wasn’t getting paid as much as David was on BONES, and yet they had the same level of importance of the show and it was years into the run of the show. Just because David had Buffy and Angel before hand. With NCIS, yes Michael had a career before. And deserves his paycheck. But Cote deserved to be up there, even it was a hair from what Michael was being paid. They gave the same importance to the show. Ziva proved she was extremely valuable.

• Andrea says:

So, sexism toward a man is A-OK? That’s exactly how I interpret Stacey’s viewpoint. Michael’s supposed to “forget” about his years in soaps, and Dark Angel doesn’t count either. Nor does the two years that he’s been on NCIS before Cote came? That’s seriously how that’s supposed to work?

Sexism is to be treated unfairly because of one’s gender, be that gender male or female, and to suggest that Cote just be put up there with Michael because we’ve hit year 11 penalizes Michael for being a man and rewards Cote for being a woman. That’s just as sexist as a woman who is treated unfairly. It is a mathematical fact that Cote and Michael’s careers are unequal, and the fact that they are is not Michael’s fault.

• RJ says:

Maybe not as much as Mark? Oh my, quite entertaining. You do realize, don’t you, that Mark had a dynamic movie and television career well before NCIS was a twinkle in Don’s eye, don’t you? MS. Cote’s die hard fans seem rather unique in their ability to grossly inflate their idol’s worth.

• dmac says:

Enough with Criminal Minds, it wasn’t CBS that botched that it was the producers. They admitted they made a mistake and tried to fix it. Two different shows two different producers. NCIS doesn’t just kill their female leads: Sasha Alexander asked to be released from her contract and requested that she be killed off, Lauren Holly wanted to leave to move back to Chicago to be with her family, Cote wants to leave to spend time with her family. My God people get a grip, you are taking this way to personally.

• Stacey says:

Sasha didn’t request that Kate be killed off. That was a show dictated move. Sasha came in before the end of the season two and said she wanted to leave. They decided to go with Kate dying, with Sasha reportedly shocked that they killed the character. NCIS does have a bad rap for killing their female characters off. So given they just came off a revenge storyline after yet another female died, I think they will have Ziva not get reistated with the team and taking a job out away from Washington and If they can get back Cote later, she’ll visit or come when the show wraps up and unite with Tony.

• Alisa Neely says:

yep, just like when the actor that played tim speedle wanted OUT OF HIS CONTRACT before it had run out….they KILLED the character and he COULDN’T do TV work for what was left of his contract…….cote should have SPOKE UP sooner, then WAITING until the LAST MINUTE…..and we lost the character of “Stella” on CSI:NY because she wouldn’t take the PAYCUT the powers that be were DEMANDING back then…..that’s what happened that time with CRIMINAL MINDS.

20. spekj. says:

No one word about 1-year or multiyaers contract…was THIS the reason ?

21. scifisiren says:

#eyeroll

22. ian says:

I love Ziva and I love Cote but the show was not just about Ziva and never has been. This has been Gibbs show from the beginning. I respect her desire to move on. I think what Les is doing is is great. He is putting to rest all the garbage some fans were saying. She wanted to leave and thats the end of it. Saying it was because of money or she was clashing with the cast is just stupid. Fans should take Les at his word but as some one said above some times fans act stupid. Like I said on another post on the site about her leaving Diane Neal should resign from the CGIS and join Gibbs and his team. I know lots of fans like here character and she already has chemistry with the cast.

23. Maya says:

Recently someone on Tumblr (I know!) posted a quote from 2010 where Cote herself said she didn’t want to be NCIS ten years from now. She made a joke that Michael would be there and playing “17th season Tony” but she had no interest in staying that long on the show.

• Alex says:

That was just saying she didn’t want to be on the show in 2020, hardly surprising and a joke anyway. No one expects or really wants to see NCIS geriatric edition.

• Laura says:

Actually I think her comment was she didn’t want to be on the show for 10 years. I can’t say I blame her for wanting to branch out and do something different. Maybe she just wanted a new challenge and role.

24. Jop de Ruiter says:

Ik hoop dat Ziva op een “nette” manier uit de serie wordt geschreven en niet op een “definitieve” manier, daar is ze mij te dierbaar voor als persoon. Ik zal haar glimlach missen en vind het jammer voor Tony. Een relatie in een serie vind ik altijd wel iets toevoegen , iets menselijks en realistisch Bedankt lady Pablo de Cota het ga je goed en altijd weer welkom, no hard feelings for your decision, succes!

25. Alex says:

Moonves can say what he wants but there has got to be more to this. You don’t walk from a show two weeks before it goes back into production when everyone(including you) seem to be eager for the following season. That screams contract failure. It may not have been money though, it could easily have come down to ‘one year contract’. Networks HATE ‘one year contract’ and actors on long running series usually end up asking for them. One year contract would have brought Cote’s renewal negotiations in line with the others. If they all request one year contracts, they renegotiate as a group every year. And then things get expensive…. Think ‘Friends’ final season.

Somewhere, in between all the articles we have read is the truth, although we may never know it.

That being said. Now is probably the best time for CdP to walk, career wise anyway. Actresses have a limited self-life in Hollywood and after you hit the ripe old age of 35 you’re pretty much past it. You’re then resigned to playing cops, lawyers and doctors. If you want to branch out you’ve got to get it going before you hit expiry. Sad but true.

I’ll miss seeing her every week and I look forward to her other projects. I only hope she can return for the series finale.

Alex

• John says:

Well two weeks from shooting is about when “no” becomes a well and truly final “no” I’d suggest. Perhaps they kept coming back and she kept considering and rejecting and then the reality of the looming shoot finally closed the door.

• Alex says:

That’s not quite how it works. In order for contracts to come down to the wire there is always a sticking point. Just in this case, it wasn’t money.

• And given that the company is the one offering the contract, the actor is the one making the final decision. It sounds like they made an offer (#1 or #100 we have no way of knowing) and she waited until the last minute to finally reject it and walk away. Not classy.

• Alex says:

Actually, it’s the network’s final decision. Her agent can lay the cards on the table and say we want this that and the network counters and sometimes a stalemate is reached. Weeks can go by while each waits for other to cave. Usually, someone does. If the expiration date hits and neither party has backed down the contract is not renewed and the actor is essentially ‘fired.’ We don’t use the word fired tho, cos it tends to have negative connotations; we say ‘they walked.’

My comment above was not to lay blame, since we do not know the facts and probably never will blame and name calling are a bit ridiculous, it was simply to suggest there is more to this than we are being told. At least that’s my observation from the articles I’ve read so far and the camaraderie the cast has always seemed to share.

• Jerri says:

Maybe the decision was made much earlier than 2 weeks before the show was due to go back into production, but CBS just sat on it (in hopes of changing Cote’s mind maybe) and finally announced it when they did.

• Pennagirl says:

You do if you didn’t re-up at the end of the season like others did. Mark re-upped before the season ended…we were still waiting on Cote.

26. Midori says:

All the studio can do is offer an insane amount of money, but if she doesn’t want it than it won’t matter.

This is why I don’t watch the show, they tease the relationship and nothing will ever come from it. They never grow, the characters never change, and you know they are never in danger unless the actor is leaving.

• Allen says:

I used to watch this show, and I skipped it for like five seasons…I watched a random episode and didnt even need a catch up…same characters, same situations, same office, surface conflict that never has actual life or death consequences for the characters, etc etc etc…maybe she was just bored

27. Weezy says:

Or maybe she’s just tired of pushing a whole bunch of BS propaganda down people’s throats…

28. Mandy says:

It makes perfect sense for him to say this. After all the drama they have created on criminal minds by not paying the women equal to the men, he wanted people to be sure that wasn’t the problem here.

29. Raymond says:

Ziva was the perfect balance to the other personalities. Different and powerful. We have to respect her right to move on and develop her own future as an actor. The show will never be the same without her. Even though there comes a time when money means nothing in comparison to future plans, if the fact that everything (including offering money) was done to try to retain our favourite actress was not revealed, some may have thought that she had been unfairly dismissed.

• Alisa Neely says:

i highly disagree…..she UNBALANCED the show…..because, the REST ended up being pretty much BENCHED for ZIVA…..in order to make ziva a (supposedly) STRONG female character, they had to turn tony who is (supposed) to be a SEASONED cop/AGENT into a FOOL……who needed ziva to SAVE him…..while also having him being ABUSED by ziva……in the end; they had ziva ACTING as if she was the SFA and she was giving ORDERS to tony and tim…..TONY was her SFA and HER boss, when gibbs wasn’t around……she played the “daddy card” with gibbs…..i’m THRILLED TO BE RID OF HER, as are MANY OTHER NCIS FANS.

• Maxwell says:

Oh for God’s sake, if you want to constantly throw out your vapid comments like a hysterical, yapping poodle, speak ONLY for yourself. You are not the spokesperson for other NCIS fans. Plus, everything (EVERYTHING), Ziva did, was on the direction of the writer’s scripts. Ziva is a fictional character on a TV show–none of those things really happened–get a freaking grip!

30. Esaul says:

Well I applaud CBS for trying to keep her in the fold. I also applaud Cote de Pablo for her decision to leave with grace. I hope the best for her and the show.

31. squirrelysue says:

NCIS will not be the same without Ziva. There isn’t any actress I can imagine taking her place. Oh geez, I hope they will not make Jamie Lee Curtis a regular. She and Gibbs make my skin crawl. Just don’t like her. Maybe Tony will finally grow up. It’s not so bad when you see him only once a week but my mom watches it whenever it is on USA, marathons. When you see him hour after hour it becomes tiresome. Again, it will not be NCIS without Ziva. I wish Cote de Pablo much success in her future.

• papnana says:

I have to say I agree with your Mom,when watching the USA marathons you can only take so much of Tony being the “ladies man” I have liked NCIS from the beginning & will continue to like it after Ziva (Cote) leaves. I may be in the minority here, but I DON’T think Cote leaving will mean the end of NCIS, after all, it’s not like she is “Gibbs” one of the ones that makes NCIS. All the cast & crew are great & produce a wonderful show. I also don’t want JLC & Gibbs as a twosome, that would be that a huge mistake, just my opinion, but Rock on NCIS, Rock on!!!!

32. Doug says:

It was stated earlier that Cote was offered about an $80,000.00 increase per episode from her prievious contract & she was asking for a $105,000.00 increase per episode & she held out for that thinking CBS & BELLISARO PRODUCTIONS would agree to it. Mark Harmom has been encouraging her to accept the orginal offer. Michael Weatherly & Sean Murray make slightly more then this & Mark Harmon as the Star of the show plus 1 of many producers makes alot more. She will return for Season 11 on a limited bascis to complete the story & they have left the door open for her to Guest Star in the future from what I have read in other entertainment blogs. Making it easier for to to return if she wants to..We will wait & see.

33. LOL says:

Why can’t some people accept that Cote just didn’t want to be on the show anymore? Eight years is a very long time for an actor to play the same role and maybe she just wants to do something different. I’m a fan of NCIS, but I don’t get the outrage. If she has other aspirations – or just needs a rest – I’m glad for her. Only Cote, her agent and NCIS/CBS execs know what happened in “negotiations.” That could mean that she expressed her desire to quit and they kept offering her money, to which she always said no thanks. Or something else entirely. Some fans need to let it go. Let’s hope they write some good stories and give Ziva a great send-off (which doesn’t include killing her) and bring on an interesting new character…. And stop using the heavy-handed fog filter, fuzzy photographer, it stinks

34. Barbara hedrick says:

I know money can’t buy everything she hasa life to live also.but if she does leave she will be missed love bh

35. John says:

Maybe the woman just got bored of playing the same role for eight years on? Stop saying CBS hates women.

• ian says:

I couldn’t agree more with you. People keep bringing up Criminal Minds. A: NCIS is higher rated then Criminal Minds and B: As someone said above it was the producers not CBS that said they screwed up.

36. Thiago says:

I don’t realy follow the news about TV shows really but I think I know a little. Isnt season 11 of NCIS the last season? At least thats what I’ve heard… So why would she leave at the very last season? Is she atleast going to be part of season 11 or this means that if for some reason a season 12 pops up, she won’t be part of that?

• ian says:

Season Twelve will happen if Mark wants to and I think he does. With a Show like NCIS you have to say its gonna be the last year before it stars so fans can say goodbye to the show. Like How I Met Your Mother doing a final goodbye season. Cote would not appear in a Season 12 her storyline is being wrapped up at the start of this season.

37. arial2 says:

I’ll miss Cote de Pablo, but understand her need to move on to something new. She’s multi-talented (a trained opera singer!), but has had little opportunity to show that in a crime procedural. I’m glad to know CBS tried hard to change her mind, but, in the end, I think she just wants to try other things in the usually-limited time women have to do well in Hollywood. Best of luck to her and I’ll be on the lookout for any upcoming projects with which she might be involved.

38. 4theloveoffilm says:

I am incredibly disappointed by her departure, as love her character, but even if she loved the show and her castmates and her character, as an actress or a human being, it may just have been time for her to move on to the next chapter of her life. Yes, it took a long time to reach a decision, but it is a BIG decision, and big decisions sometimes take a while to reach. Hour-long TV shows have long, grueling schedules. And actors often love to explore a variety of roles–not to become famous for them, but rather for the joy of acting and the study of the human condition. I don’t know all of her reasons for leaving, but she doesn’t owe me or any other fan an explanation.

I will miss Ziva terribly, however. I really did love and admire her character. And I was definitely a supporter of a possible Tony-Ziva romance. Best of luck in her future endeavors.

39. Pennagirl says:

And now they are giving McGee a girlfriend, no more McAbby. (got to get off the subject)

40. asta says:

I wonder what the true story is. It could just be she is burned out like Julianna Marquelies was with ER. They offered her 16 million and she still walked away.

41. Larry says:

I had never heard of her before NCIS, and I doubt we will hear much about her AFTER NCIS. Hopefully, she has saved and invested her money wisely. There are plenty of other actresses who would enjoy the opportunity to have a regular paycheck. Next stop for her, if she’s lucky, might be some Lifetime movie. I don’t think Jennifer Lawrence or Meryl Streep will lose sleep now that Cote de Pablo is available.

42. Kim R says:

I am a loyal fan of NCIS and like all the characters they have created. I’m not sure Cote is going to find the opportunities that she may hope for after leaving NCIS. I don’t think she has that kind of popularity…yet. It just feels like the timing is off for her to move on. My two cents! :)

43. Tybois says:

Folks have to remember she has injured her shoulder, neck and back doing her own stunts on NCIS, so maybe she wants to end her storyline before the pain of doing the stunts affects her work.

44. shar says:

NCIS without ziva will be a huge loss, as her addition made the show ‘must watch’ TV. CBS should pay actors based on how valuable they are to the show, not gender.

45. Mary says:

Somehow I really doubt what CBS is saying. The last few weeks have made CBS look really bad; demanding a 600% raise from Time Warner Cable and the talk that Cote left because of Pay Parity. Of course they’re going to say this. It makes them look better, and Cote look really bad for leaf

• RJ says:

The only ones looking bad, so to speak, are those NCIS fans so mired in their conspiracy theories that they haven’t taken the good sense God gave them and shut their traps. Instead, they persist in attacking cast and crew, the good people who work such utterly long hours to make a show you can enjoy.

46. Mary says:

Somehow I really doubt what CBS is saying. The past few weeks have made CBS look really bad, and it seems like they’re trying to save face, while simultaneously making Cote look like the bad guy here. I’m about to leave the show purely because CBS is driving me nuts!

47. clarkie says:

Her career is essentially over, as she will soon find out, no one, I mean no one, will give a darn about her in 6 months. If the producers are spiteful, they will kill her off too, just to make sure she can’t come back.

• Ben says:

Yes, you’re right. Hollywood will follow your lead and blacklist a smoking hot actress most of the world loves because, well, people like you think they should. I’ll bet the show tanks, or they’ll bring her back with a fat pay raise. She could get her own show now – something completely different.

• Marissa says:

Smoking hot actresses (which is admittedly in the eye of the beholder) are a dime a dozen in this town. Talent lasts. An actress with a single (albeit hit) show on her resume in her mid thirties is far from a hot commodity. Reminds me of David Caruso leaving NYPD blue. She needs NCIS more than NCIS needs her.

• Ben says:

You could be right. Only time will tell. If the long, dragged out nature of this subject is any indicator, however, the money making powers that be in the entertainment industry are taking note and will not pass by an actor drawing this much attention without trying to figure a way to cash in on it. Face it, Rush Limbaugh is one of the most hated people in America, but he’s also one of the most loved. There is no way the people making money off him will let him go. The fact is, like it or not NCIS might be tanking anyway and that may be a side issue we are not privy to. People who finance and run these shows watch the rating very carefully, looking for particular trends only those in the business are familiar to. Losing David may be the NCIS equivalent to Three’s Company losing the dizzy blonde or Eight Simple Rules losing John. A show is more than any one actor, but that doesn’t mean one actor can’t sink it.

• tejas says:

Given how she left her former employers in the lurch, it may be very difficult for her to get work in Hollywood again. It would take much more talent than she’s got to overcome that blow to her reputation. It is, first and foremost, a business and she just doesn’t have what it takes for any company to take the risk of hiring her. Given that NCIS had to rewrite at least two episodes in something like eight days (or less) AND revamp plans for the season on equally short notice, she’s shot herself in the foot, professionally speaking. There’s no telling how much it cost the production to pick up the pieces from the damage she caused by quitting at the last minute. Like any other industry, word gets out and people learn who the bad pennies are.

• Ben says:

Leave an employer in the lurch? Really? I do the job for my employer and after proving myself and my importance to the business, (done by Cote) I ask for a raise. A raise I want because I think I deserve it. The employer ALWAYS wants to play hardball. Sometimes they offer me too little. Sometimes they include provisions I will simply not accept. If I bargain in good faith and they grin at me and treat me like I wouldn’t dare quit, they have me and I can like it or lump it, I will most assuredly indicate they can shove their freakin’ job and get up and leave. In 50 years of working for a living I’ve had to do it once in a while and you want to know what I hear most from most people? “I wish I had the guts to walk. I just don’t dare.” An employer is a buyer bargaining for your product. There is a time to fold and take the offer, and a time to leave. They are not my parents or my Dutch Uncle. They’re dealers at the table and nothing more.

• Marissa says:

Did you miss the part of all the articles where CBS, the producers, etc are quoted as saying it was a personal decision and not about the money? I’m sure, like everything else in life, money was a part of the factor, but it doesn’t sound as if it was THE motivating factor for Ms. De Pablo. Given that she left for personal reasons, don’t you think it was a bit late in the negotiating game (December to July) for her to make a decision based upon personal reasons? By all accounts, it came as a surprise to cast and crew, though she herself has mentioned wanting to leave for several years. Given that she’s been quoted several times saying she might want to leave,and the late date of announcement, it sounds like it was designed by her and/or her team to inflict maximum damage on the show, the writers, and CBS’ budget.

• tejasjulia says:

Did you give notice? Did you put them in a serious bind by leaving without giving them time to ensure they had the staffing required to do the job? Were you in a position that required major revamping of a critical portion of the business plan if you left?

Hollywood is a very, very small world. Smaller, in some ways, than publishing, smaller than academia, both industries I’ve worked in. It likely cost the production huge amounts of money to deal with the problems she caused by walking out at the last minute…and the details will be known in the industry. They always are. She was already making much more than she was worth. The show will do just fine without her, but it’s a damn shame she had to be a diva about leaving. Ultimately, it will be her loss, though. She’s a dime a dozen in that town. When push comes to shove, a company will hire a worker who can do the job and won’t give them problems or won’t cost them money or time or reputation in the long run. The bottom line is always the the key player at any negotiation table and she has now proven that she costs much more than just her salary.

• Alisa Neely says:

she does NOT have the WORK HISTORY that MH,MW AND DAVID (ducky) does…and she has NOT directed ANY eppies, is NOT an EP for the shows, like mark and michael…..she does NOT deserve the same pay of these 3 men…..sorry…..but, that’s just the way it IS.

• Ben says:

Work history is crap. There are a thousand actors in Hollywood with far more time and diverse experience than Brad Pitt. It doesn’t make them worth more. You sell what the market will buy for the price they’ll pay. Hell, Mary Tyler Moore, Meryl Streep, Sally Field are all better than Cote with a million times more talent and experience. Do you think anyone will pay them to take over her spot? Michael Jackson’s business is making more money now than any other pop singer and he’s dead. It’s because he’s Michael Jackson, not because of how many time cards he’s punched. NCIS may be really jammed up now trying to replace the woman. Any successful team is a result of the entire team. The ‘Friends’ show lasted so long and was so popular because the writers and the six actors all worked so well together. You can’t always shuffle the cast and still deal a winning hand. My feeling this time is they may have overplayed their hand and we’ll know by next week. The audience might turn away just that fast. The latest incarnation of the Bourne saga is out and doomed. Know why? No Matt Damon, and that’s the name of that tune. Writing is good, action is good, but no Matt. DOA.

• Marissa says:

Ben, Ben, Ben, given your numerous sexist and borderline offensive comments, I think we’ve got a fairly clear picture of what you want and what needs the female characters must perform for you to be happy. Smoking hot, check. Because why should an actress be anything except a sexual objectl for the less evolved males of our species.

• Ben Lunt says:

Marissa, you’re an idiot. You are like an AA who yells racist, or a gay who yells homophobia, every time you hear something you have no intelligent response for. Cote was fighting for her right to get the pay she believed she deserved, and you don’t think she deserved it. I think she did. The show is tanking now. Not because the writings is off, or the characters aren’t up to the task, but BECAUSE THERE IS AN OVERWHELMING SENSE THEY HAMMERED A WOMAN BECAUSE SHE WAS A WOMAN, and you, you moron, applaud them.

48. Penny says:

Oh well, have zero interest in NCIS w/o Ziva.

Good luck NCIS!
    Hello SHIELD & POI :D

49. abbyoftroy says:

Is anyone else sick of this?