Veronica Mars Movie Recasts Leighton Meester

Veronica Mars Movie Recasts Leighton MeesterThe 09ers have a new queen, now that the Veronica Mars movie has recast the role of Carrie Bishop.

Though series creator Rob Thomas had hoped to bring back Gossip Girl‘s Leighton Meester in the role she created, “Sadly, [she] was doing a different movie during the same time frame on the wrong coast. In the end, she was unavailable,” he reported to Kickstarter backers on Sunday.

RELATED | Veronica Mars Movie Scoop: Is Veronica Dating [Spoiler]?!

As for his choice of recast, Thomas explains that in addition to wanting the history that would have come with Meester’s encore, “we needed a performer who could sing in this important role. [So I] decided to cast someone from a band I already wanted in the movie.”

Cue Andrea Estella, lead singer for one of Thomas’ fave bands, Twin Sister.

RELATED | Veronica Mars Movie: Ryan Hansen’s Officially On Board — Watch Must-See Video!

Estella says in a statement that while not an existing fan of all things Neptune, upon quickly consuming the pilot, “It’s the exact kind of show I would get obsessed with.” She also says that “it’s been a bit of dream to be in a movie, especially being a messed up rock princess. How could I say no? I think the VM fans are going to be very happy!”

1. G says:

I wish Leighton was on but if a recast is necessary it’s nice that it’s someone so startlingly similar to her.

2. Thea says:

Aww man, I was so hoping Leighton would be able to film. At least she’s the only one so far who’s had to turn it down.

3. flutiefan says:

i think i’m the only one who doesn’t remember Carrie Bishop…?
    then again, i only watched each episode once.

• Paige says:

Carrie bishop was the girl who went all I’m preggo with my teachers baby.

• dude says:

I thought she said she was pregnant with his child but it was really her friend who was.

• Ann says:

Yes, her friend was actually the pregnant one. This is the episode with Adam Scott as the sleezeball teacher. Episode title is “Mars vs. Mars” I think.

• Rook says:

Carrie Bishop said she was pregs and he gave her money to have an abortion, Veronica figured out she was lying and noticed SK on a lot of the texts which stood for Susan Knight, Carrie’s best friend who was pregs and wouldn’t stand up against the teacher.

• flutiefan says:

thank you for all the descriptions! sadly, still don’t remember her….
        was it S1 or S2?

• Miranda says:

Season 1.

• Mary says:

Carrie Bishop was in one other episode. In the next to the last episode of season 1, when Veronica is trying to figure out who raped her at the party, it is Carrie Bishop who tells her she was in bed with Duncan.

4. Drew says:

It would have been nice to get Leighton back, but I guess there had to be some glitch along the way and this is a relatively minor one.

5. Cherry says:

Not thrilled about this.
    Leighton didn’t have a big role in the show, they could’ve easily just changed the character if she couldn’t return.

• Midori says:

I agree, this seems useless to me. i can’t even really remember her episode.

• Cherry says:

And to replace her with someone who isn’t really an actress. I do remember the episode and Leighton was really good in that role.

• Hannah says:

Unless the character had to be Carrie Bishop. There must be something integral to the script and it would only make sense if it were Carrie Bishop. I don’t know what that would be, but I don’t see another reason for the recast. At least it was a recast of a minor character and not someone like Mac or Wallace. And if people can barely remember her, what does it matter if she is recast.

6. Josh says:

She was in two episodes in season 1….I’m sort of bummed about it, especially if Carrie is going to be the center of the murder mystery since 1) She never seemed like a messed up rock princess(in fact, she seemed to be the second most level headed 09er…and to see her die, after Meg’s death 10 years prior would be a bit of a bummer. This was the girl who gave up her 09er status to set things right for her best friend)…2) If Carrie is such a central character, why not make sure Leighton was available or just choose a different character altogether? It isn’t like a rock star pop princess HAS to sing(Britney, Miley, Katy Perry) so Madison or other minor female 09ers could easily work in that role.

• Cherry says:

I agree, if she is playing an ‘important role’ then have an ACTRESS play her, I’m sure Andrea Estella is a great musician, and I’m trying not to judge her acting before I can see it, but it just seems Rob is doing a favour for his favourite band or something.

• Josh says:

Exactly, that’s why I’m hoping her role isn’t really big. Maybe she’s just part of the band at the reunion and he’s saying that why it is important..not “Lilly Kane” role important.

7. Cherry says:

Was Minka Kelly or Katie Findlay not available?

8. I’m sure she’ll be fine; it can’t be THAT big a role, and the actresses do share a resemblance. I’m more surprised that RT thinks that a peripheral character from the series is important enough to go to the trouble. I thought the movie wasn’t going to draw so deeply from the history of the show.

9. heLLpaso says:

Shoulda casta Addison Timlin instead.

10. Lauren says:

Bummed about this.

11. Brock says:

As a backer I am dismayed by this news and hope Rob reconsiders this horrible decision. They are bringing back so many characters from the show, all of which are played by their original actors. Why then bring in someone new to play an existing character? More importantly, why bring in someone who doesn’t even act to play that character? It will just take me out of the scene that she’s in, knowing its not the original actress. Why not just create a new character? Why is it so vital to have her play this character? Very upset and it’s the first time I feel like I want my backer money back

• Stefan says:

Ditto.

• Carew says:

Ditto. Should have just left her character out of the movie.

• Hannah says:

Really?! They were able to get everyone else back. I was shocked and impressed that they were able to get all the important people back. The fact that they couldn’t get an actress who played a minor character back upsets you to the point where you wish you didn’t back the movie? She was in 2 episodes in the first season. That’s it. If they recast someone more important to Veronica’s world I would totally understand your feelings. But Carrie Bishop? Don’t let one small thing ruin the entire movie for you.

• Melanie says:

Agree. It’ll be interesting to see why the character just had to be Carrie Bishop, but come on, Leighton Meester wasn’t all that essential to the cast in the scheme of things if they couldn’t work it out. They tried, it just didn’t work.

• Cinnamonly says:

Let’s have confidence in Rob :-)

• Mary says:

Wow, Brock, you’re like the princess with the pea. You haven’t even seen the girl act- how do you know she won’t be brilliant? But, hey, if you gave money I’m sure that means you know more than Rob Thomas does.

12. Tonya says:

My god, you people whine a lot about such inconsequential things. Leighton wasn’t available…if Rob chooses to cast someone who can sing and name her Carrie Bishop…then so be it! Suck it up and deal…does this really matter? Will it ruin the movie for you? If so – a) don’t watch the movie and/or b) reevaluate your life!

• moving on says:

so much agree!

• Dick Whitman says:

I agree. It’s funny how people are “dismayed” because of the recast, and Carrie will probably end up being in 2 scenes.

• flutiefan says:

thank you for your reasonable post!!!
      the people who now want their Kickstarter money back are petulant whiners.

• Kenter says:

As someone who paid a LOT of money for this film, yes it does matter. Mr. Thomas has done a remarkable job rounding up the old gang. Why ruin it with one person? An easy name change isn’t so hard and wouldn’t upset anyone. Just because I’m a dedicated fan, doesn’t mean I should reevaluate my life because I don’t like a casting decision.
      Go on the backer website and see that there’s more people upset by this than happy. And the same can be said for this message board. Clearly, this has struck a cord with fans and people have a right to be upset if they’ve paid to have a movie the way they want it.

• Hannah says:

I think you should wait and see before you get upset. Maybe the name change wasn’t so easy. It was clearly important enough for the script to have it be Carrie Bishop. Otherwise Rob Thomas would not have recast her. Maybe he would have had to completely rewrite the movie or something. Sometimes the smallest of characters make a larger impact on the whole story. Even if it was just two scenes, it could change the whole movie.

Besides, that’s the risk when you make an investment. You give money to an endeavor you believe will be profitable (or in this case lead to something you will enjoy). And sometimes it doesn’t work out. That’s business and life in general.

• Andy says:

Rob Thomas has done a remarkable job rounding up the old gang, but you believe he is ruining it with one single person? Is all he has done so far now not remarkable? By making one decision, has he undone all the good that he has done previously? Do you truly think the movie is going to be ruined because of this change? Or might you have exaggerated, just a bit?

• Tonya says:

Just because lot of people are ridiculously upset over something so small, doesn’t mean you aren’t ALL ridiculous. I’m a backer as well, but I happen to be a backer and a fan of Rob Thomas, of his vision, of his choices, of his decisions and of HIS movie. I don’t think my contribution to this film entitles me to whine and moan because a character who maybe had 20 total minutes of screen time ( and who will likely have much less in the movie) was recast because the original actress had a prior commitment. You DID NOT pay to have this movie made the way YOU wanted…if you think that’s what being a backer on kick starter is then I’m just going to pat you on the head, while I say “oh, honey…” and enjoy the movie I backed – the one I hope Rob hasn’t changed because he upset some whiny, entitled people!

• Mary says:

GET A LIFE. I hope this girl rocks now just so all of you whiners see how ridiculous it is to whine about something when you have NO CLUE how talented this girl is.

13. C says:

My take is that Carrie was in the script (we know the actress playing Susan Knight is back), they probably went back and forth trying to get Leighton, it ended up not working out with her in the end, they couldn’t rewrite it (probably because of the history with Susan Knight), so they recast. Not seeing the big deal. It’s not like they recast Mac or Weevil or something.

Rob has done such a great job putting this all together. For people to be all “I want my money back” after one minor thing like this that was mostly out of his control, that’s ridiculous.

• warby parker says:

exactly! look, so many actors are going out of their way to be in this movie. if we want to point fingers at anybody, it’s the people advising the actress who’s let “scheduling conflicts” prevent her from taking on a role the writer, director, and producer wrote with her in mind. let’s give Rob Thomas a break.

14. militantgod says:

So Brock, did the Dark Knight suck because Katie Holmes was recast?

• Brock says:

Did the film suck? No. Was it extremely distracting and annoying that they had recast her? Yes. It takes me out of a film and makes it harder to connect to her character and her relationship with Bruce. There had been established chemistry between Katie and Christian, which had to start all over again with Maggie. Likewise, she became a rather different character in Maggie’s portrayal. So, the same will occur with this recasting…

• Mary says:

Now know you are crazy!! Maggie Gyllenhaal is about 500 times the actress Katie Holmes is and she gave a much more real performance. If you are distracted by something this unimportant than you have a serious attention deficit problem- get yourself evaluated.

• Melanie says:

LOL. I hated that recast. But only because what else was Katie Holmes doing with her life? Nothing. Go back so you can be in the minimal scenes you were in anyway, and die accordingly. But I don’t really see the comparison. Leighton Meester’s character was not important to the story, not like Katie Holmes was. Apple & Oranges.

15. Prue says:

I’m not happy either. Leighton is much bigger now than when she did VM. I wished she had been available. That would have made the movie perfect.
    And because Kristin Bell and Leighton did not have any scenes together on Gossip Girl, it would have been nice to see them do some scenes together.

16. militantgod says:

So the movie would have been better with Katie Holmes? Yeah ok.

Hey Rob Thomas, please give Brock his money back because you couldn’t get Leighton Meester, aka the girl who did a grand total of 2 episodes of your show, you know the girl we spent countless hours “connecting” to, in your movie. How dare you lie to the fans! This movie is ruined! ;)

• Brock says:

First of all, I never once said the film was ruined, simply that my viewing of the film would change when she’s in it. Nor did I say he lied to his fans. Veronica Mars is one of my favourite shows, I’ve watched the series more times than I can count, so yeah, I have connected to this character, despite her limited screen time. I’m sorry that I’m such a dedicated fan.

• Mary says:

If it will make whiners like Brock stop complaining about minute details, I’ll be happy to stage a fund raiser to give his money back.

17. Sara says:

I don’t think the movie will be ruined by this casting change, but I am a little bit curious about why whoever played Carrie Bishop had to be able to sing. It just seems odd to me, because Carrie seemed to be more of an academic than a singer.

18. Steph says:

If the role had to be a singer, could Carrie bishop be Logan’s pop star gf that is murdered????

19. Drew says:

Can I just point out that this isn’t the first time that a role has been recast? And last time, UT was a much more pivotal character… Backup from the pilot was a totally different dog than the one we got to know and love. True story. Go watch.

Who is more important to the show, Carrie Bishop or Backup?

20. Shoof says:

Unfortunate that Meester is unable to return, but I find the casting of Estella unnecessary. Carrie should’ve been taken out of the script, but this news makes me think Carrie most likely plays a bigger part in the films main storyline.

21. Mrs. Ben Covington says:

Someone may have mentioned this, I only read about half of the comments. But isn’t Logan dating some sort of character with a VERY similar description to this one of Carrie Bishop? That may be why it was so important to just recast this role rather than pick another character.

I could be way off, though…

22. Andie says:

I hate this opening line, implying that Carrie Bishop was the queen of the 09ers. She wasn’t even an 09er. Ugh.

23. deolinda b says:

I think that these comments show the potential issues with kickstarter. Do investors or financial supporters really get to weigh in on casting. U trusted rob Thomas with your money, trust his instincts with this choice. I am familiar with this band and singer. You will be introduced to rising stars! Check out twin sister.