Fall TV: Fox Premiere Dates Open With X Factor, Bones Set for November Move to Fridays

Fall TV Schedule FoxFox is hereby the fourth broadcaster to let loose with their premiere dates for the fall season, leading with The X Factor‘s two-night, three-hour Season 3 premiere.

Also, we have a firm date for when Bones moves to its new Friday home: Nov. 8, after Fox’s coverage of the World Series has wrapped. (J.J. Abrams’ futuristic thriller Almost Human claims Monday’s lead-off spot starting Nov. 4, as one “Bones” aka Star Trek‘s Karl Urban replaces another.*)

PHOTOS | Fall TV Preview: Your Guide to What’s New!

All told, most of Fox’s live-action fare debuts in mid-September, a full week before CBS and NBC uncork the bulk of their own premiere slates.

On tap for midseason: American Idol, The Following and the new series Rake, Gang Related, Surviving Jack, Us & Them and Murder Police. The summer series 24: Live Another Day premieres in May 2014.

And now, Fox’s complete roll-out plan… after this. (ABC, all eyes are now on you.)

Wednesday, Sept. 11
8 pm The X Factor (season premiere Part 1)
9 pm MasterChef (season finale)

Thursday, Sept. 12
8 pm The X Factor (season premiere Part 2, two hours)

Monday, Sept. 16
8 pm Bones
9 pm SLEEPY HOLLOW (new series)

RELATED | Fall TV Schedule Moves in Review: The Savvy, the Shocking and the Sorta Snoozeworthy

Tuesday, Sept. 17
8 pm DADS (new series)
8:30 pm BROOKLYN NINE-NINE (new series)
9 pm New Girl
9:30 pm The Mindy Project

Wednesday, Sept. 18
8 pm The X Factor (two hours)

Thursday, Sept. 19
9 pm Glee

RELATED | What Happens Next on Glee: Is Another Proposal Imminent? Will Rachel Be Funny Girl?

Friday, Sept. 27
8 pm JUNIOR MASTERCHEF (new series)
9 pm SLEEPY HOLLOW encores

Sunday, Sept. 29
8 pm The Simpsons
8:30 pm Bob’s Burgers
9 pm Family Guy
9:30 pm American Dad

Monday, Nov. 4
8 pm ALMOST HUMAN (new series)

Friday, Nov. 8
8 pm Bones (new time slot premiere)
9 pm Raising Hope
9:30 pm ENLISTED (new series)

* Joke first made by HitFix.com’s Daniel Fienberg

1. James R. says:

Bones, Almost Human, and maybe Sleepy Hollow are about the only shows on Fox I’m interested in this year.

• Martoukian says:

I understand this is when the new season will start, but Bones has already made the move to Friday. They’ve been showing it there for several weeks now, and not showing it on Monday.

2. Josh says:

I’m pretty angry Raising Hope has been moved to Fridays. That’s where Mindy belongs.

3. Sky Lark says:

Screw you Fox, I am making a promise to NOT watch any shows except Bones this fall, winter, summer, spring.

• amber says:

I think FOX starting Bones on a Monday, using it to launch a newbie drama and then casting it off to Friday is pretty shabby treatment…they should have the nads to launch Bones on Friday from the get go and launch their sci fi block on Monday, put your money where your mouth is, ìnstead of treating Bones like the red headed step child of the network, moving it to where ever….good luck Fox with your newbie Monday dramas, you will need it when The Voice and the CBS comedy block starts.

• Sarah says:

@amber

I completely agree with you about Bones.

• Frankie707 says:

Yes, but starting it on Monday could mean it never moves to Friday. If say. Sleepy Hollow bombs then it could get canceled before Bones would need to move. So we may never see first run episodes of Bones on Friday nights.

Just a thought.

• Sky Lark says:

@possibly, but this is the first time Fox has actually noted a date to move. They have dug their heels in now, it would be another embarrassment for them to not move Bones. Friday should be scifi night, nerds don’t date anyway. #sorrynotsorry

• amber says:

Lets say that there are 4eps before baseball break, a guess, do you really think that 4eps is enough time for Sleepy Hollow to fail so badly that Fox will yank it from the schedule? It would have to tank so bad like Touch rating bad for that to happen imo…

• frankie707 says:

It’s happened before. Shows have been pulled after 2 eps even on Fox. Now granted, given who is associated with this show that is less likely to happen, but if it does bad enough, I can see them moving it instead of Bones.

Whatever personal feelings and egos may be involved, it’s still a business, and they will go with a schedule that they think will profit them most. They say they’ll move Bones because Bones fans have proven they’ll follow it all over the schedule, but if one of those new shows doesn’t live up to expectations they’ll do shuffling they’ll backtrack if necessary.

• Esaul says:

The writing is clear that they anticipate this to (more than likely) be Bones’ last season with a move to Friday like this. It has had a good run, and either this or next season (if it survives) should be the end.

• anon says:

david and emily signed a brand new two year contract with fox late last year, so therefore the writing on the wall would suggest that Fox is more than interested in having at least a season 10 of Bones if ratings don’t bomb on a whatever day it airs…the showrunners are also aiming for a S10, have been for the last few years….BONES 2nd highest rated scripted season finale on Fox.2012/13

• Esaul says:

Signing a two year contract doesn’t guarantee two more years of Bones. Bones may pull in decent ratings still, but that doesn’t make it any cheaper to produce. It’s good to aim, but we’ll see how it does Friday.

• Skyblue says:

So true, BONES needs to go back to Mnday. Thats where it belongs.

• Rachie says:

I agree! Bones is the best show Fox has in my opinion. Bones has a pretty strong fan base & I think many true fans will follow it to any night of the week.

4. Teag says:

Gang Related, New Girl, Mindy Project, Us and Them, The Following, Almost Human and possibly Brookyln-99.

5. madbengalsfan85 says:

Bones…that’s about it for me

6. Ezzy Klein says:

What happened to Saturday?

7. Lili says:

I think it’s three – not four – hours of “The X Factor”.

8. Nick says:

Bones, New Girl, The Mindy Project, Raising Hope, Enlisted, and Brooklyn Nine Nine

9. Melissa says:

I believe FOX is going to regret. I mean i really liked Almost Human’s trailer but i just have a feeling that 2 or 3 episodes later people are going to stop watching it. And didnt like the new comedys at all. So i believe couple months later FOX will realise that bones,the following and the new girl are the only good shows that they have. (&about the ratings as well.)

• amber says:

Bones was the highest rated scripted finale on Fox this season and that is the thanks it gets: moved to Fridays. ..Bones kept Fox steady on a Monday when their other shows tanked in that dog fight of slot and that is the thanks it gets: moved to Fridays…..Sleepy Hollow would have to tank hard and fast to stop the Bones move to Friday in Nov imo….

10. Karl Urban was also in the”Lord of the Rings” movie. Who is he replacing on “Bones?”?

11. Lily says:

I might watch Dads. Not sure about Master Chef Juniors. As for Brooklyn Nine…the promos look stupid. Don’t think that will work for me.

12. Linda says:

Bones moving to Friday night after baseball… So in 8 seasons, Bones has aired on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday. Epic-fail Fox! Thank goodness for the loyal fan base is all I can say. I still hoping this never happens….

13. TL says:

Not sure why they don’t hold off until after baseball. Does it make sense to start mid-end of September and then 2 episodes later these shows are gone for a month?

14. jop de ruiter says:

you lucky people over the ocean , I ,living in Holland, am still waiting for Bones 8 !
    And I’m verry jealous about that, espacially when I read the comments about this

15. JC says:

I’m with those that think that Bones will probably not actually end up moving to Fridays. If one of Fox’s new shows (like oh, say, Sleepy Hollow) gets cancelled early, Bones will probably stay on Monday.

16. Midori says:

They have threatened to move Bones to Friday before, never happened.

Raising Hope should be on Tuesday, how did that horrible Mindy show get renewed? The ratings were lacking at best.

17. lyn says:

Just Bones for me. And midseason I’ll try Us&Them because I like the cast.

18. DavidSask says:

I don’t think any network on a premiere of fall schedule should be able to show encores of shows and call that programming, Friday line-up. I also think a kids show of Master Chef is crap! Enough with the Gordon shows~

19. Ashlyn says:

I still can’t comprehend FOX’s treatment of Raising Hope. It’s Friday slot makes no sense! Moving it from the Tuesday comedy block is unfounded. I actually find myself hoping that one or both of the new comedies will fail, forcing FOX to put Raising Hope back where it belongs. And don’t even get me started on their treatment of Bones…..using it to help launch a new show, but then dumping it to Friday after the World Series. Grrrrrr!

20. Faisal says:

FOX is the worst..but has great shows and faithful fans from way back with The X-Files to Bones, Fringe and The Killing. :)

21. Can’t wait for the November 4th premiere of Almost Human. This series has Minka Kelly in it (how bad she was when the actress was in the very poor TV reboot of Charlie’s Angels).

• cas says:

Yeah but I liked her in Friday Night Lights. I thought she was decent in that, I didn’t watch the Charlie’s Angels reboot though.

22. Jaime04 says:

Sleepy Hollow, Glee and Raising Hope! Can’t wait! I gave up on Bones a long ago.

23. Zach says:

I’ll watch Bones, Raising Hope, all the new comedies, all the new dramas (at least for an episode or 2), and NOT New Girl, Family Guy or The Mindy Project.

24. Amelia says:

WTF Fox? Raising Hope on Friday I better be dreaming.

25. Grace says:

How on earth is MasterChef lasting until September? Are there two seasons of it this summer or are they going to start doing only one hour a week or have a lot of offweeks or what?

26. Em J says:

New Girl, Bones, Us and Them (I love Gavin and Stacey so have to try the American version!) and Glee are going to be my shows! :D <3

27. Jacqi says:

i am not sure how i feel about bones being moved to fridays. i have a lot of things to tape on monday so maybe its a good thing, but we shall see.

28. Sela says:

I’ll try some of the new shows. See how they go. I’m a follower of Bones and Raising Hope though. I really don’t want Friday’s for them. Boo. Stopped watching Glee this past season. Thursday’s I like other network shows better. I like The Voice so Fox will be out those nights.

29. As an avid 24 fan, I can’t wait for the next 11 months to watch 24: Live Another Day on Fox. :-)

30. James says:

Hi Matt. Correction one of the shows: The Masterchef spin-off is “Junior MasterChef” and not the other way around. :)

31. Jared says:

Moving Bones to Fridays isn’t such a bad thing. The ratings for Bones continue to be good for Fox and having the series up against less competition pretty much guarantees it a couple more seasons. Sure it was doing just fine on Mondays but I think it will do well on any night because of the loyal audience it continues to have.

• cas says:

Yeah but people are going to DVR it on Friday not watch it live. Which will hurt ratings.

• VJ says:

Feeling a need to go out on Friday’s is “herd mentality”. Friday, and Saturday, are the best nights of the week to watch television shows. Most people do not work on the proceeding nights, and therefore have plenty of time to do all the things they want to do, including viewing of their favourite shows. Besides, there is nothing stopping the “herders” from watching the shows first, and then going out later. There will still be plenty of woman left to bang, after 10 PM..lol.

32. ingmarhappy says:

Can’t wait for Bones!

33. EDtv says:

I don’t think moving Bones to Friday is the death nail everyone seems to think it is. I actually think its a pretty smart move. By now the show has pretty solid core audience that is probably made of of an older demo. It has proven it can survive time shifts. And its boils down to a police procedural which when paired with CBS’s H50 at 9 and Blue Bloods at 10 ( a very successful Friday night show btw) probably makes a solid night of programming for fans of that genre. Plus, as was also pointed out already, as soon as one of their hour-long dramas fails (as is inevitable for any network) they will have Bones on the bench to fill in the time slot.

34. Abby says:

I don’t think Fox is shafting Bones (but alas, I don’t watch it so I’m not invested) – I think they believe it will maintain it’s audience even on Friday nights, because the fans have stuck with it for so long. Even if that means the fans will watch it online on Saturday morning, or whatever. And if Almost Human fails (which it might – I mean, if the show is not well written it will be a gigantic cheesefest, based on the premise), then Bones will be back to Monday nights before the end of the year…

I’m just excited for New Girl. I love it!

35. Leave Comments says:

I hate when networks keep moving shows to new nights. The way I watch shows it does not matter, (recorded or other methods), but it is unfair to the show. I love Bones.

36. Mark says:

What about “The Following??”

37. antonio raffoul says:

x factor, American dad , maybe dads, family guy

38. maddie says:

why has bones moved to fridays!!

39. KillerBee says:

It doesn’t seem like you guys have been paying attention to the ratings wishing that Sleepy Hollow will bomb. It has been renewed for a second season and has higher ratings than Bones

• JC says:

Doesn’t seem like you paid any attention to the dates most of these comments were posted, well before Sleepy Hollow actually started airing.

40. Jeff Niewinski says:

Dear Fox,

Here we go. With regards to this “drop kick” treatment of “Bones.” Just like the “X-Files”, you take one of your best and boot it to the “Dead Zone.” (Friday’s).

Right now you have “Bones” kicking off Monday, followed by a surprisingly well-written, intriguing twist on a Classic. “Sleepy Hallow.” You lose me after that. As “Castle” calls me.

I know, get to the point. FOX don’t play with something that’s not broken. Because, truthfully, if it wasn’t for “Bones” and “Sleepy Hallow”, I wouldn’t even think of your Network.

No offense, just an opinion from one person.

41. ruth ann walker says:

True fan of bones and will watch whatever night it is on, monday seemed to be good.
    I just don’t want to see bones cancelled, it is delightful, having murder, comedy, and romance, what more can you ask for. Please fox get your act together and leave on shows like bones that are entertaining.

Thanks bones, your whole cast and crew are fantastic.

Ruth Ann

• Frances1374 says:

I agree totally with your comment. I also really enjoy Bones and would find it truly “sad” that FOX moved the show to Fridays in order to cancel it!!! It does have many followers who would be quite upset if the show was cancelled!!!

42. lindsay says: