The Veronica Mars Movie: Francis Capra Is Back as Weevil – Who Should Be Next?

Get More: Casting News

Veronica Mars Movie Cast Francis CapraExec producer Rob Thomas promised lots of Veronica Mars movie casting news this week, and he continues to deliver: Francis Capra, aka Eli “Weevil” Navarro, will be part of the big-screen outing next year.

Thomas announced the news Monday via an email to those who funded the film via Kickstarter this spring.

RELATEDVeronica Mars Movie Spoilers — Including Veronica’s New BF and Who Won’t Be Back

“Playing a wrong-side-of-the-tracks-kid in a town full of privileged peers, Francis found a terrific — and difficult — balance between tough and soulful,” Thomas wrote. “I couldn’t be happier that he’ll be back with us for the film.”

Capra’s character was a badass biker who often ran afoul of the law but who had a secret love for Lily Kane, the rich kid (and Veronica’s best friend) whose murder drove the Season 1 plot.

RELATED | The Veronica Mars Kickstarter Campaign — Don’t You Dare Feel Bad About Chipping In

After The CW cancelled the series in 2007, Capra appeared in episodes of Friday Night LightsThe CloserSons of Anarchy and Bones, among others dramas. He joins a cast that already includes Kristen Bell, Enrico Colantoni, Jason Dohring, Percy Daggs III and Chris Lowell.

Christine Lakin will also be part of the project, per The Hollywood Reporter; Lakin will revive her role of Susan Knight, a student who became pregnant after an affair with her high school teacher (a pre-Parks and Recreation Adam Scott).

More returnees are likely to be announced in the very near future.

The movie version of the teen drama takes place at Veronica’s 10-year high school reunion and is eyeing a 2014 release. Shortly after the casting news broke, the actor gave all honorary PCHers out there something to ponder until opening night:

Which Veronica vet would you like to see come back next? Hit the comments with your casting wishlist!

Comments (74)

• Yes!!! I loved Weevil so much. I can’t wait to watch the movie.

Comment by Hodan – June 10, 2013 07:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This was the news I’ve been waiting to hear! This movie would have been lacking if Weevil wasn’t back. I’m so thrilled!

Comment by Brooke – June 10, 2013 07:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hopefully Mac is next!

Comment by Adam – June 10, 2013 07:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes! Mac is all I need now, I’m so happy

Comment by Maris – June 10, 2013 07:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Rob Thomas is supposed to be making casting announcements all this week…I am hopeful that Mac/Tina Majorino will be announced tomorrow!

Comment by Leah – June 10, 2013 08:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Tina Majorino is a pretty busy actor these days…the optimistic side of me thinks they’ll tease announcing her as long as possible. The pessimistic side says maybe she was just too booked up.

Comment by J – June 10, 2013 10:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • About time!

Comment by Eric – June 10, 2013 07:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wooo!!!! So happy to hear this!!! Hoping the other announcements are Mac, Dick and Leo.

Comment by Lauren – June 10, 2013 07:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Isn’t Leo already confirmed? Or maybe that’s just been Max being so vocal about it?

Comment by mia – June 10, 2013 08:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Woooooo!

Comment by Gilda – June 10, 2013 07:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not unexpected, but still awesome. Weevil was one of my favorite characters on the show.

Comment by em – June 10, 2013 07:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yesss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Been waiting for this announcement. gonna be a great film

Comment by Kerry – June 10, 2013 07:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Don’t see Dicks name yet or did I miss it????

Comment by Sparky – June 10, 2013 07:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Dick hasn’t been announced yet, but I’m guess he’s a for sure go, since he helped with the video that got this whole thing started. I’m just ready to hear Mac, Leo and Vinny are on board and I’m a happy camper.

Comment by jerrired – June 10, 2013 07:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • oh yeah and I secretly hope Cassidy ‘Beaver” somehow faked his death and comes back. I know it won’t happen but no one kill my dream!

Comment by jerrired – June 10, 2013 07:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Oh LEO…I go Leo mixed up with Lamb…I’m guessing he’ll be hardest to get because he’s filming a show…But yeah Mac and Vinny are are a must!

Comment by Josh – June 10, 2013 07:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • The actor who played Leo (Max Greenfield) has said that he is coming back for sure, since New Girl is also filming in LA. It’s not confirmed by Rob Thomas…yet.

Comment by Quinn Mallory – June 10, 2013 08:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Yeah Leo is probably the hardest to get, but I also want Lamb back! I forgot to mention him. He may be hard as well, since he’s filming a soap opera, I believe.

Comment by jerrired – June 10, 2013 08:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I think the fact that his character died will make it hard to bring Lamb back. Unless they include a really well-placed flashback.

Comment by Meredith – June 10, 2013 08:57 PM PDT
          • Lamb died! Why don’t I remember this?!! Wow. Looks like I need to rewatch the show sooner than expected.

Comment by jerrired – June 10, 2013 09:15 PM PDT
      • I think Max Greenfield already confirmed that he was returning.

Comment by Rook – June 10, 2013 08:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • VINNIE!!!! I sure as heck hope vinnie van lowe comes back. Ken Marino was so great in that role.

Comment by Liza180 – June 10, 2013 08:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My hope for Weevil is that he ended up back working for Mars investigation and is now a PI with Keith

Comment by ggny – June 10, 2013 07:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oooo! I’d LOVE that. I’d love to see Keith and Weevil bond while Veronica’s been away. Be such an awesome dynamic.

Comment by mia – June 10, 2013 08:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I would love that

Comment by Kelly – June 11, 2013 05:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes!!!!! This is just awesome!! Weevil was such a wonderful character and I loved the relationship between him and Veronica. SO so so so glad he’s returning!!!

Comment by mia – June 10, 2013 07:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Weevil’s my favorite character. So excited for this.

Comment by Esaul – June 10, 2013 07:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • David Blue.

Comment by Cheo – June 10, 2013 07:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes David Blue as Beefy Resident,

Comment by Steve – June 11, 2013 03:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is it too much to expect Mac, Duncan, Meg, Lily, Deputy Leo and Troy back in Neptune? Sure 2 of them are dead but when has that ever stopped TV?

Comment by Holly – June 10, 2013 07:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Is Meg dead? Did we see her dead body? No. Death faked. Make it happen.

Comment by Tom Charles – June 10, 2013 08:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I like to think that she faked her death and ran off to Mexico to be with Duncan and their baby.

Comment by mia – June 10, 2013 08:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Duncan and the baby ended up in Australia.

Comment by Belinda – June 10, 2013 09:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • via mexico

Comment by Tom Charles – June 10, 2013 09:08 PM PDT
  • WAHOO! Excellent … Mac hopefully is next, then Dick. Everyone else is just a bonus.

Comment by So Contagious (@socontagious19) – June 10, 2013 07:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Duncan, Dick and Vinnie Van Low!! I think Max Greenfield is already signed on, no? Not a TM fan, could care less about Mac.

Comment by lorna – June 10, 2013 07:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Mac Dick Leo and Vinny please!

Comment by jenilee – June 10, 2013 07:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hooray! No we seriously need Mac!!!!!

Comment by Mandy – June 10, 2013 07:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great news!!!!!! Waiting for Mac, Dick, Vinnie, Cliff and Deputy Leo!

Comment by MoshiMoshi – June 10, 2013 07:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So so so happy to have Weevil back.

Still holding out hope for an announcement trumpeting the return of Deputy Leo, Vinnie Van Lowe, Cliff McCormack and Desmond Fellows.

Comment by Belinda – June 10, 2013 07:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Leo has been confirmed

Comment by Linda – June 10, 2013 07:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • …hasn’t he?

Comment by Linda – June 10, 2013 07:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • unofficially confirmed, yes.
        Confirmed by Rob Thomas, no.

Comment by Winter – June 11, 2013 05:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Isn’t he..uh..dead?

Comment by Josh – June 10, 2013 07:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I think you’re thinking of Lamb.

Comment by Tom Charles – June 10, 2013 08:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Weevil!!! WOoo!!!

Now all we need is Mac and we got the gang all back together.

Comment by Josh – June 10, 2013 07:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay! Why Chris Lowell, though? I thought this movie was going to revolve around her high school reunion.

Comment by Carrie – June 10, 2013 07:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. I was very surprised by this casting. I was hoping they’d just kind of forget season 3. Still holding out for Vinnie, cliff, and dick.

Comment by liza180 – June 10, 2013 08:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • yes! vinnie, cliff, and dick are who i want back the most, too!

Comment by amy (@amyeicher) – June 10, 2013 10:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • People seem to have forgotten about Vinnie and Cliff (admittedly, myself included) but now that I remembered, they’re the next two I want after Mac and Dick! I loved those two’s humor! Would be so upset if they don’t come back!

Comment by Michi – June 11, 2013 05:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Probably friends with Wallace and shows up.

But I agree, he wasn’t really needed.

Comment by Midori – June 10, 2013 08:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • From what’s been said on Kickstarter, the reunion is only a part of the movie. My guess is he helps out in the murder investigation she gets pulled into. IMO, they ended their relationship on good terms and remained friends. Or who knows, maybe he’s dating Mac. Whatever it is I’m going to trust that Rob Thomas knows exactly what he’s doing.

Comment by Kira – June 10, 2013 09:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes sooooo Happy to hear he is back I been checking almost everyday yay!! One of my all time favorite people

Comment by Estella – June 10, 2013 08:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What about dude who plays Logan?

Comment by Tom Charles – June 10, 2013 08:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Er Duncan, my bad

Comment by Tom Charles – June 10, 2013 08:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This!

Comment by Lizzy – June 10, 2013 08:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Max Greenfield (Leo) and Ryan Hansen (Dick) have both been vocal about supporting and wanting to be a part of the movie but an official announcement for either hasn’t been made yet.

I’m pretty sure Duncan won’t return. Teddy Dunn hasn’t worked for a couple of years and was pretty vocal about his distaste for the recognition that came from being on a popular tv show which is why he was eventually written out.

Also, I’m pretty sure Rob has previously said that there won’t be any miraculous resurrections. If someone died on the show, they’re dead. There might be flashbacks but Lily, Lamb, Beaver, Aaron etc are all but done.

Comment by Belinda – June 10, 2013 08:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He was written out because they didn’t see the triangle working out since most wanted her with Logan and not Duncan. There was no use for him.

Comment by Linda – June 10, 2013 09:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I might be the only one, but I’d love to see Jackie again. Even though I initially hated her, she became a pretty wonderful character and I liked her with Wallace. Every time I re-watch the series, she grows on me.

Comment by Sienna – June 10, 2013 09:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YES!!! This was the news I’d been waiting for, best thing!! :D :D

Comment by Dominique – June 10, 2013 10:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Weevil needs to tape someone naked to the flagpole for old time sake!

Comment by mrm423 – June 10, 2013 10:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • With each update and video that lands in my inbox I feel happier and happier that this is happening and that we fans could make it happen.
    I’m actually even more glad we were asked, if the studio had just funded this upfront we’d be hearing far less and in a more sanitized way.

Comment by Jay – June 11, 2013 12:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really hope they confirm Tina Majorino soon. We can’t have a VM movie without Mac! She was easily my favorite character along with Veronica herself.

Comment by Josh Emerson – June 11, 2013 04:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Weevil is awesome. So glad he is going to be in the movie.

Comment by Kelly – June 11, 2013 05:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Awesome! Can’t wait to see who else is coming back!

Comment by Kim – June 11, 2013 07:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Weevil!!! I hope Cliff comes back too, I loved his snarkiness. Vinnie Van Lowe would be nice too, but I don’t like where they took him in Season 3. He’s best when he’s walking the line between a good/bad guy. In Season 3, he was too far on the bad side.

Comment by Mikael – June 11, 2013 09:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YES!!! I loved that guy! And now we need Mac…

Comment by Liz – June 11, 2013 09:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • *applauds*

I’m now done frantically checking TVLine every hour waiting for this specific announcement lol

Comment by Thea – June 11, 2013 12:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hooray for the return of Weevil! Now we need Mac and Dick. I hope they’re announced next!

Comment by Alia – June 11, 2013 04:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • All I need is wallace & jackie and I’m in.

Comment by sia – June 11, 2013 04:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Wallace was announced a couple of days ago. ;)

Comment by robinepowell – June 11, 2013 08:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just got a Kickstarter Update. Cliff is officially back! Yay!

Comment by Alia – June 11, 2013 04:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post