Idol's Kree Harrison on Patsy-Vs.-Dolly 'Rivalry,' Her 'Selfish' Song Choice and Susan Tedeschi Twitter Love! Plus: 'It's a Choice to Be Happy'

Kree Harrison‘s life philosophy is simple: “Be yourself and nothing else.” There are worse things that can happen in life than Group Round drama on American Idol. Winning is as simple as scoring a Twitter follow by the Tedeschi Trucks Band.

Those were just a few of the life lessons Kree shared when she stopped by TVLine HQ for an Idology exit interview* that covered everything from her Hollywood Week solo of “Stars” to Nicki Minaj’s marriage proposal to the joy she felt at getting to show her blues, pop and soul influences over the course of the competition. (*Just FYI: This one got cut a wee bit short due to Kree’s breakneck schedule in NYC.)

RELATED | Idol‘s Candice Glover on Rearranging Drake, Reading Internet Critiques and Learning From Harry Connick! Plus: A ‘Lovesong’ Deep Dive!

Also on the docket: How she felt about the judges’ infamous comments after her duet with Janelle Arthur on Madonna’s “Like a Prayer”; why she never tried flipping a hip-hop song into something more country; what went through her mind before her a capella intro on “What the World Needs Now Is Love”; and which seventy-something country star is totally putting her to shame on social media.

RELATED | Idol‘s Angie Miller on Risky Song Choices, ‘Theatrical’ Criticisms and That Duet With Lazaro! Plus: How She Wrote ‘You Set Me Free’

So press play below for the full Kreedom experience, and for all my Idol news, interviews, recaps and video — including one later today with Season 12 champ Candice Glover — follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

1. noa says:

so short… :(

still love this girl.

• Joline says:

How in demand is Kree that she can’t find twenty minutes for a full interview (when every other contestant can)? Clearly this site wasn’t thrilled with the scheduling issue but really didn’t need to show Michael being reprimanded by her people and promising to wrap it up. The note at the top was enough.

• Teeny Bikini says:

I really just adore her. I love that she wouldn’t change who she is to fit in to the silly antics on this show. Her humility is indeed quite beautiful. I love what she said about Merle Haggard – ha! She’s so friggin’ adorable, ethical and genuine. I think her parents would be proud of the woman she has become. Go Kree!~ You can do this!

2. TC says:

I like her!

3. Flicker says:

Kree, you’re awesome!!

4. I love Kree even more after listening to the interview, if that’s possible. I only wish her single “All Cried Out” and Candice’s “I Am Beautiful” were doing better on the iTunes charts. A poorer showing than Lee DeWyze is just sad.

• Jet says:

They’re horrible songs, just terrible. Makes you realize just how much P2 lucked out with Home… and he didn’t even want it to be his single! smdh.

• scooby says:

It almost wasn’t that much lucking out for Phillip though in terms of getting that song for his coronation single. It didn’t take off to the degree that it did until NBC used it during the Olympics. If they hadn’t, it would’ve been thought of as one of the better songs from an Idol finale, but not some platinum selling thing. It ended up surpassing where it debuted on the Hot 100 after the resurgence months later. It takes so much luck to get a hit single, huh?

• dani n. says:

Here’s the other thing that majorly worked in PP’s advantage.. MUMFORD&SONS. First he was doing his Dave Matthews impersonation& now it’s MUMFORD!

• Jet says:

That’s what I meant by lucked out… and it wasn’t just the Olympics that used it, I heard it in a ton of ads for everything from coffee to movies.

• Andrew Rogers says:

Whatever, Lee’s amazing. I don’t think he gets enough credit for flipping songs the way he did. I mean, Slezak is always talking about how contestants should pick current songs and Lee did that more often than anyone. Not to mention he turned “Treat Her Like A Lady” in a very current sounding song. The guy knows what he’s doing, whether you like his voice or not, and now that he’s signed to Vanguard, I wish him all the success in the world.

5. Kristi says:

Can I just say that I LOVE how calm she is? Even listening to her talk is so soothing, just like her amazing voice :)

6. Jack says:

When are we going to start getting Idology-like clips about The Voice? You did it for The Voice and X Factor last season.

7. Scorner says:

Kree is so talented. It’s so sad that she’s not getting much support from fans or her record label. Kree has such an amazing voice and a fun personality. But her single was not the right song for her and she’s getting no love from Interscope. She may not even get a record deal or get to release a cd, unless she finds an independent label.

• American Idol Sucks says:

I love Kree. Kree and Angie are my favorites. Just reading your post. I’m surprised, but not surprised. Lowest rated viewership ever. Not alot of buzz post Idol for both the winner and contestants. As I posted, some Idol Live shows are being cancelled. Even if one did watched Idol this season. Why would I want to pay $58 plus to hear the guys sing (karaoke) boring ballad songs that put you to sleep? I could go to the local Karaoke bar and do that. All the best to Kree.

• Bumm says:

Sorry, but her talents are limited. Yes she can sing really, really well. But that’s where it seems to end. She gave dry-toast and warm milk performances every single week so why should any business reach out and support her when she has so many limits on her marketability? She couldn’t do her own concert tour, they’d be napping in the aisles. Kree has a lot of work to do if she wants to be successful, that fault and responsibility lies on her, not a recording company or label.

8. Michael says:

I love how humble Kree is. I kind of wish she would’ve sung “Broken Wing” on the show though after seeing how great she did on it when she was ten.

9. American Idol Sucks says:

This recent development of canceled shows has further fanned speculations that the once most-popular TV franchise is indeed struggling, with tickets to the tour probably not selling so well which may have caused the tour to be cut down. If it’s any indication, current champion Candice Glover’s and runner-up Kree Harrison’s singles have both tanked, the lowest-selling singles ever of any “Idol” winner or top two finalists, preceded by the continued downward spiraling of the show’s ratings.
    “American Idol Live!” 2013 Tour canceled shows:
    June 29 – St. Louis, MO (Chaifetz Arena)
    June 30 – Kansas City, MO (Sprint Center)
    July 02 – Minneapolis, MN (Target Center)
    July 05 – Detroit, IL (Joe Louis Arena)
    July 06 – Rosemont, IL (Allstate Arena)
    July 08 – Tulsa, OK (BOK Center)
    July 10 – Broomfield, CO (1STBANK Center)
    July 12 – Las Vegas, NV (Mandalay Bay Events Center)
    July 13 – Ontario, CA (Citizens Business Bank Arena)
    July 14 – Oakland, CA (The Oracle Arena)

• Scorner says:

So why did you put that here? It’s not like the low ratings and canceled tour dates are all Kree’s fault.

• MamaLis says:

Exactly – why would you post this here?
      To use a simple metaphor – you’re “throwing the babies out with the bathwater” here.
      Idol “struggling,” the singles “tanking,” and the show “spiraling” (hyperbole, much?) likely have little-to-NOTHING to do with the show’s winners/Top 3-4 this year and EVERYTHING to do with, well, everything else that comprises Idol – including the “Supporting Cast.” The winners this year were some of the best winners in YEARS, as were the Top 3-4 girls! Unfortunately for them, they’re tied with everything else that came along with this year: controversial judges, tired production and “ownership,” outdated song choices, lack of current mentoring, and probably most importantly – a crew of “other” cast members that most kids likely would NOT want to pay money to see! (The majority of cast members, not all!) Heck – these girls had Lazaro this year!
      So…. you keep ‘posting this post’ as if it were “the winners” or as if it were so cut & dry.
      It’s not. To either.

10. flutiefan says:

the new NYC country station hasn’t played Kree’s song once while i’ve been listening. if radio doesn’t get behind her, she’s toast.

11. person says:

Kree forever has my heart! XD
    Seriously, loved this interview. So sad it doesn’t have two parts.

12. Scooter says:

So calm, so humble. Wish her all the best in what will be an amazing career. :)

13. dani n. says:

If Kree were 25 years older or I younger I’d ask her to be MY wife. Love her!

14. Ramona says:

Love this girl so much!!!!! She’s so darn likable!!! She most likely is signed by Mercury Nashville. I’m not worried about her at all. I am looking forward to her original material.

15. Kree has such a sweet soul and amazing taste in music. Wishing her all the best in her music career!

16. TiaGata says:

Candice and Kree will be getting my dollars when their CDs drop. No pre order because I don’t do Itunes.

17. APM says:

Kree has an amazing voice & seems like a sweet, humble & caring person. It’s so great to see what a wonderful young woman she’s become considering the tragedy she’s had in her personal life. I’ve heard rumors that Kree has a record deal and will be starting to work on her album soon. Can’t wait to hear her music!!!

18. April Eunice says:

not to worry Kree fans! Kree has been signed by Mercury Nashville… or whatever that name was. Interscope’s sister label for country artists. I love Kree, she is my 2nd favorite next to Angie. she is so humble and nice, and fun and very loving. I wish her all the best. I will be buying her music along with Angie!! Although i got mad at her when she “took” Angie’s “spot” in the final 2, i remembered how great friends Kree and Angie are, room mates since Vegas, and they take care of each other. I’m sorry for hating on you Kree, you are a wonderful person and Angie looks up to you as a big sister! =D

• MamaLis says:

That’s so fantastic! Thanks for the update.
      That was a great interview (of course) and I really, really enjoyed Kree!
      You’ve got my support when that album drops, hon! Keep doin’ you!

(As a side note, I predict “You would have wanted it that way” is going to do great things. Besides that you have Angels watching over it, the fact that I can still hum/sing it after hearing it 2x on You Tube – that’s quite something, Miss Kree! When you write something so genuine from your soul – that speaks to other people in the same way…. those are the songs that tend to do great things. Just watch….)

19. No words just <3 for this gal. + I can't wait for her original music =)

20. TVDIVA says:

Wow. This is one smart lady when it comes to the music business. She is well grounded, calm, humble. She will have a very long and successful career.

21. HTGR says:

Congrats on your engagement! :)

22. Yo says:

This girl has a gorgeous voice, one that I need to hear as much as I needed to hear Joan Baez and Susan Tedeschi – and Patsy – in the past. She seems touched by a melancholy I hope heals for her, and that she can bring to her music. Write those lyrics, Kree, and remember most of the audience only needs to connect through the sound; your life gets to remain your own.

23. Sandy says:

Aww, Kree’s a sweetheart. Like someone else said, I love her calm and soothing way of speaking. Seems like a cool person to know.

24. April Eunice says:

Angie Miller on Kree Harrison’s succes:

“@angiemiller: Words can’t describe how proud I am of this lady!! @kreeharrison I love and miss you like CRAZY!!! <3 pic.twitter.com/tzhbWTVZuo"

PS: Kree is performing at the Opry and at the CMT so watch out for her

25. Name That Tune says:

Not surprised that those 2 songs aren’t doing well. They were not great to begin with but seem to be a requirement. I am waiting for the release of their albums.
    But thanks Michael for the interview. I was reminded of how great this season was & how much we enjoyed Kree.
    Off to watch the interview with Candice!

26. i love Kree. I think Nashville has embraced her, and she will get to put out her own style of country/blues/soul that she sings, and I’m looking forward to it!

27. NJ idoloonie says:

Kree has impossibly beautiful skin.

28. init2winitdawg says:

Man, Michael did not even get a chance to talk to her about the top 3 and finale. It was a good interview. I wish all the ladies success.

29. dj says:

It seemed ironic to me that Kree said it’s a choice to be happy, because she doesn’t come across as happy, even though she said this is the sweet after the bitter. She comes across as very serious, but well-grounded and calm. Very peaceful. Did she crack a smile that entire interview? I will have to replay it and see. I think she’s great, and I hope for good things for her.

• April Eunice says:

i know what you mean =D .
      but behind the scenes, Kree is a very fun-loving person, her friendship with Angie (who is so hyperactive and fun loving) proves it. Kree is always laughing and smiling in her pictures at instagram, and vine videos, specially her pics and funny videos with Angie.. maybe she’s not very camera friendly

30. Rei says:

Micheal getting nagged at was annoying. You’re telling me her damnable people wont let her have more then 15 mins?