Grimm Post Mortem: David Giuntoli on Nick in a Box ('It's Going to Be Bad'), Wesen Sex and More

Grimm Season 2 FinaleWarning: The following post contains spoilers from Tuesday’s Season 2 finale of Grimm. If you haven’t watched yet, make like an Eisbiber and scurry away now! Everyone else, proceed.

Grimm‘s Nick had been dying to know what was up with all of the undead-ish folk tormenting Portland, and in the sophomore season finale Tuesday night, he found out.

Firsthand.

With the Grimm in a state of suspended animation and stuck in a container headed to who knows where, TVLine spoke with star David Giuntoli about the episode’s cliffhanger, Nick’s surprising feelings regarding Juliette’s acceptance, the beastly bun in Adalind’s oven and the “genetics” involved when two Wesen get hot and heavy. (Yeah, he goes there.)

RELATED | NBC Renews 5 Series, Including Grimm and SVU

TVLINE | Let’s start at the end, with Nick all zombie-fied and in the box.
Yeah. Crazy.

TVLINE | You had teased that a member of the cast was going to end up in a similar circumstance — but I have to tell you, I really thought it was going to be Wu.
You thought it was going to be Wu, really?

TVLINE | Well, he got bit at one point in the episode.
Yeah, that’s true. A lot of people were thinking Rosalee or Juliette. I’ve never heard Wu. But you know what? You are a professional. Yeah, it was me.

TVLINE | Whatever Eric Renard has planned for Nick, it doesn’t look good.
Yeah, we don’t know what Eric Renard has planned for Nick. I don’t know if the writers know, either. But it does not look like it’s a friendly parlor game. It’s going to be bad. It’s a big power play that the Royals are making for Nick, and they have him. They are probably going to ship him off somewhere, and I have no idea how it’s all going to end.

TVLINE | Have you shot the first episode of next season yet?
No. I haven’t read it. I don’t know if it’s been written. I’m being honest when I’m saying I don’t even know if the writers quite know. I assume I’m going to be on the show next year.

TVLINE | Can there be Grimm without a Grimm?!
You know, Grimm World starring Silas Weir Mitchell. [Laughs]

TVLINE | Let’s back up a little bit. Prior to the end, things had been going pretty well for Nick. Juliette finally got up to date on everything that was going on, and she seemed like she was OK with it.
Yeah, our writers love to get people back together only to tear them apart. It’s a very dysfunctional world in which to be written. Yes, there was a payoff with Juliette. She seemed OK with everything – shockingly, by the way. And instantly, they’re torn back apart through these circumstances. We’ll see what happens.

TVLINE | Did you and Bitsie Tulloch talk about how you were going to play these getting-back-together scenes?
No. We didn’t really talk about it. I don’t want to get smarter than the show. I don’t want to play some end game. I think that can hurt the scene, to play the end of the series or how we think it should go. I personally always try to keep some – what would the word be? – conflict in there. From my character’s point of view, I’ve done very bad things to this woman, and she’s taking me back… I feel tremendous guilt about everything I’ve done, and it’s going to be hard for me to overcome that, even though she’s OK with that. I’ve sort of discussed that with Bitsie.

RELATED | Exclusive Grimm Video: Relive This Season’s Weird, Wild and Wacky Wesen

TVLINE | Meanwhile, Adalind has her plot cooking on another contintent. Have you gotten any indication of when Nick’s going to become aware that she’s pregnant?
That whole storyline is so twisty and awesome. I have no indication of what’s happening… It’s all such a mystery to me.

TVLINE | Nick and Capt. Renard still have a very tentative alliance at the end of the season. How do you think Nick would react if Sean Renard eventually sided with his brother against Nick?
I wouldn’t be surprised if Renard sided with his brother. Renard and Nick… again, I’m not comfortable with this guy. Yes, the whole thing with Juliette was kind of not his doing, but he did try to kill my aunt… I can’t really forgive that. He’s so mysterious. He has so many motivations and he’s so cool, he doesn’t show them. Nick would not be surprised if [Capt. Renard] teamed up with Eric and went against me.

Grimm Season 2 FinaleTVLINE | Now, this is nothing Nick is directly involved with, but Rosalee and Monroe take a very big step in their relationship in this episode.
Yeah they do!

TVLINE | That’s been a nice, slow burn going there for a while.
Hell yeah, it was. I always want to think, like, what are the genetics here? Is it like two different species mating? Or the same species? [Laughs] You know what I mean?

TVLINE | I’m proud to say I hadn’t even thought about the Wesen possibilities for that type of that scene until she woged. It’ll be interesting to see what the fans make of that scenario.
Here’s a funny thing. I didn’t have to work very late one day, and that’s kind of rare for me. I’m like, you know what? I don’t want to go home. I’m just going to stick around, watch the scenes, watch the director and watch the camera guys and just take in their side of it. I think it’s a responsible thing to do as an actor. And I had no idea what was scheduled that day.

So I’m walking and I see Bree Turner walking into the stages as I’m walking out. She’s like, “Bye!” I’m like, “You know what? I’m actually going to stick around.” She’s like, “WHAT?” [Laughs] I said, “I’ll watch this scene. What scene is this?” She says, “You are not watching this scene.” I’m like, “What is it? Is it the big one?!” And she says, “Yeah.” So the first scenes I’m going to stick around and just hang out for happen to make me look like a pervert…. Like I want to watch her and Silas get it on? [Laughs]

TVLINE | But did you stay?
No! I didn’t! [Laughs]

RELATED | NBC’s Fall Schedule Revealed! Where Do Your Favorites Fall in the Line-Up?

TVLINE | The scene itself is pretty tame. It’s a lead-up, not the main event.
I know. Honestly, I didn’t want to seem like I just wanted to watch two people make out. You know? [Laughs]

TVLINE | Speaking of Rosalee, I will point out that she rescues the group a lot.  She is often the one who comes up with the solution that saves the day.
I feel like Rosalee, she’s beautiful and she’s adorable with Monroe, but when it comes to my surrogate family that I’ve made which is Nick, Hank, Monroe, Rosalee and Bud really – maybe Juliette – she’s like the mom. She’s like that mom, her kid is stuck under the SUV and she can lift it up with superhuman strength and get us all out of whatever hole we’ve dug ourselves into. I would agree: Rosalee does often save the day, more than anybody else. She’s our kind of utility player. And Wu. They could save all of Portland if they just teamed up.

1. Alichat says:

I really would have loved this finale if I hadn’t figured out the entire plot before the ep aired. I mean really? Even if you had no idea going in, the title completely gave it away!

2. Turner says:

Maybe they’ll ship Nick off to wherever Adalind is so they can share scenes again :) I mean I can’t possibly be the only one who thinks they have incredible chemistry…

• I love their chemistry, too. The scene that he took her powers was one of my favorites, ever.

• Turner says:

For me it was the scene at the restaurant after he found out she was Hank’s girlfriend and he tried to tell her to back off… um yeah I found them sizzling haha :P

• Tenney says:

They have Incredible chemistry together. So much more than him and Juliette. Yes, more Nick and Adalind please!

• Lu says:

Of course it’s hard to have chemistry with someone you are basically lying to (season 1) or can’t remember who you are (season 2) — it will be even harder now– how they left it for season 3.

• jojo says:

NO PLEASE!I DO NOT WANT MORE NICK/ADALIND AT ALL,PLEASE! I beg the writers not to screw themselves listening to the fans too much and keeping on instead with their own plot and plans. I’ve witnessed more than one good show getting screwed over and turned into a crappy drama just for the sake of chemistry… LET THE WRITERS WRITE THEIR STORY ,PEOPLE! THEY KNOW WHAT TO DO UNTILL FANS START OBSESSING THEM WITH CRAZY REQUESTS! I’d rather have a story that makes sense rather than one that is simply more exciting to watch cause a couple has more chemistry than another one! And btw,many seem to confuse sexual tension with real love which is made more of tenderness, care and comprhension! SO I’M TOTALLY OK WITH THE COUPLE NICK/JULIETTE AND I BEG THEM NEVER TO MAKE HIM END UP WITH THE SMART BAD GIRL only because of chemistry! u.u AND I LOVED THIS SEASON FINALE! LMAOOO!!! CANNOT WAIT FOR S3!!!!!

3. Barbie says:

Awwwwwwwww!!!! BEST. INTERVIEW. EVER!!!!!! Him talking about Rosalee!!! Seriously, the show became SO MUCH better after she came in. It really made all the difference! I’m happy the cast recognizes that, too! I haven’t watched the episode, but I’m totally freaking out to see her and Monroe!

GAH! I’m so happy right now! <3 <3 <3 <3

Thank you, Grimm, for coming on and becoming my favorite show!

• Deena says:

Rosalee is my MVP of the show. They would be doomed without her. I feel this kinship with her and Felicity from Arrow.

4. Luke says:

I wished they would find a better girlfriend for Nick than Juliet. She is just so boring.

• Hmmmm says:

She is pretty awful. The writers have had so many opportunities to take her out of the show, yet they insist on pairing her with nick. I don’t even think the actors have any chemistry. Losing her would elevate his character. They just need to do it already!

• tripoli says:

Agreed. She’s just such a weak link at this point. Didn’t mind her in season 1 but she became pretty insufferable this season. The whole amnesia plot dragged for way too long and now that she’s in the know, she’s equally annoying. Seems so ridiculous for her to now be coming along and trying to help out just because she knows who Nick and the others are. She’s a usless liability.

• Stephanie says:

Truth is… She’s just a bad actress. I’ve never seen her in anything else that I know of. But she’s just too monotone.

• Hmmmm says:

Yes, she is like a cardboard cut out! She doesn’t even try to have emotions! I don’t understand how the audience is supposed to buy her as nicks true love.

• BTM says:

I like her. I like both the kindness and confusion Bitsie Tulloch brings. She can think quickly, she’s a professional with her own life, and I’m glad they write her that way.

• iella says:

I agree!

• Francine Eisner says:

I like the Juliet character too. I don’t find her even slightly boring. WTF are people talking about? I was rooting for Nick and Juliet to get back together. I thought the scenes between her and Captain Lenard were very well written. They were forced into that situation. I’m hoping that the captain will wind up being a good guy, on Nick’s side. I agree that it isn’t clear where his loyalties really are.

5. Shaun says:

Was kinda dissapointed in Nick……shoulda known it was an ambush and retreated.

• Alichat says:

Exactly! He did say earlier that it seemed like the Baron was playing them. He should have known it was a set-up the moment he saw the guy on the top of the shipping container. “Hello there Grimm….ha ha haaaa! Do you like my gang of zombies? Come and get me! I’m just going to stand right here….right by the edge….while you slowly climb up the side of this container. No…no rush….I’ll wait. Just keep climbing. Noo no no….I’m not going to spit my green zombie goo in your face. No worries.”

• cookie says:

Yeah I knew when he claimed the ladder I knew it was a set-up. This Creole man was very powerful and I then that Nick was the target. Eric leaving important paperwork for Reniards man to find,it seemed so easy. And why when the Capt. had his face to face w/Eric he wasn’t concerned. The hairs on the back of his neck should have been at attention. Eric saying that the family was impressed with his kills. And where was the Capt. when he followed his brother leaving. the hotel. He had to followed him to the storage yard. What’s up with that? Poor Nick he can’t catch a break, now on to Transavannia.

• Stephanie says:

Agreed. Even my husband sat there shaking his head.

6. Ozzie says:

So, I’m thinking we’re gonna see Nick’s mom around next fall when she finds out what has happened to him. “Hell hath no fury” than a ticked off mother Grimm! :)

• cookie says:

Here in lies the story pickup. When word leaks out that her baby has been kidnapped she’ll have no choice to come out of hiding. That’s just what the family wants. Realizing sha can’t do it herself she’ll have to forge an alliance with nicks friends,who we know she hates. Remember Monroe when he meet her said “your Mom scares me”. Also nicks mom said there are only 6 Grimms left in the world. So maybe she’ll engage just one to help her fight to get her son back. That would be awesome. Someone like Jason Mamoa, he has to be a warrior,dark and very strong type. The ultimate fight with the family. Now that would be a show I would be on the edge of my sofa!!!

• dana says:

Yes, I’m sure his mother is going to show up besides they have no idea that Nick’s mother is alive and well and ready to kick some booty!

7. James says:

so the cop is in a dark shipping container he sees Voodoo crap everywhere and is chasing blowsfish head and he just decides to take a break and open a steel coffin…ummmmmm……what was he smoking because it certainly wasn’t a common sense joint. even so it should be an interesting start to season three. love Monroe and Rosalee their the best, and Wu. To be honest i liked Juliet a lot more last season then i did this, she was sort of boring this season.

8. Maggie says:

Reg E. Cathey was so perfectly cast as the Baron Samedi, his voice just sends shivers up my spine! I hope we get to see more of the full Scooby Gang (Nick, Monroe, Hank, Rosalee, and now Juliette?) together next year, they have great chemistry.

9. Shannon says:

I really enjoyed the season finale (as well as the entire). And I couldn’t agree more with Maggie that Reg E. Cathey is brilliant in the role. I really can’t think of anyone who could have done it better.
    Though, it was pretty clear something was going to happen to Nick (the title pretty much gives it away), I think they did a nice job telling the story.
    As for those who think Nick dumb for taking the time to open the coffin, well it would have been bad if he didn’t and got jumped that way, it was a lose lose scenario. I’m pretty sure if the documents weren’t in there he wouldn’t been in the predicament he finds himself in now.
    On the Juliette front, I really had no issues with her this past season or in the finale and I am looking forward to seeing how she adapts to the world she finds herself now apart of.
    I can’t wait for the next season.

10. David Rocks says:

just ship nick to my house :-)

11. RUCookie says:

that was a fantastic finale. Roseile is the source of such grounding for the group. Glad that Juliette knows, accepts and wants to help – maybe now she can feel like a real part of the action and not an annoying character. I don’t trust the captain and yet I was worried for him when he went to see his brother…. but I think the whole royal family is about to be turned on their heads by Adiele and her baby, that woman is playing everyone she contacts. So maybe the Grimm, his Scobbies (I say that since there are Buffy writers in charge), and the royals have to team up up to outmaneuver what ever the witch and the gypsy have in store…. just an idea!

12. cookie says:

What was Nick thinking every time he goes to defeat a beast he researches and takes a special weapon did u notice that he didn’t, even have Rosalee put a special spell on him, Nick went into to this too blindly. Get his Mom, a new warrior strong Grimm, and the gang together and get our boy home,Now!!! From Aliens “Look sharp people” translated lets go kick some royal ass.

• cookie says:

Also I meant to say Rosilee Didn’t put some kind of protection on Nick to protect him sorry. Got to carried way texting.

13. jm says:

Grimm is my favourite TV-show although i hate the main character, he is just plain stupid… thanks we got the rest of them, including Juliette. My fav character is Rosalee and then Monroe…
    By the way, the actor sound a bit of a jerk in his interview… “i dont think the writers know what is going next” my gosh… i hope they made him suffer as much as possible… i would not care so much if they kill him off…

14. Danielle says:

I missed some episodes awhile back…who is the father of adalind’s baby?

• Rae says:

The father of her ”hopefully UGLY KID” is BTW CAPTIAN RENARD AND HIS BROTHER ERIC.
      Love love the FINALE………….IT was AWESOME!…… Great job GRIMM writers!!!!!!!!

15. Viirin says:

With Nick out of the picture, and a zombie apocalypse on the rise, I can only think one thing: Monroe, Rosalee, Juliette, Capt. Renard, Bud, and the good and neutral wesen are going to have to be an anti-zombie army. But the crazy part to me is that the Council and Royals both got very upset when wesen showed their true selves. I think that’s why zombies were used this time, so an army could be in the open and not go against the “hide from humans” rule. Still, I’m sure Eric is going to use the zombies to wipe out the good wesen- he is on the evil side of the Rebellion, after all.

16. pam says:

Loved it! Great show.

17. Karen says:

I am thinking Nick knew it was a trap all along. Rosalee gave him something to protect from the Baron, yet mimic the symptoms and there is going to be a whole lot of whoop a$$ when they open the coffin. Of course, David doesn’t know where the writers are going with this, they won’t tell him or anyone else. They likely have a plan, but it could easily change over the summer.
    I don’t mind the actress, but Juliette and Nick have zero chemistry. She was actually kind of fun with Renard. I liked her with the amnesia.
    Monroe was the character that made me stay with the show and adding Rosalee was frosting on the cake. I was worried when she was MIA until I heard the actress was having her baby.
    Another character I love is Wu, ever since he ate the cookie from Adalind, he really became more 3 dimensional.
    The Adalind stuff was cool, I was suspicious that they had figured out the Frau. The b I mean witch is backkkkk.
    So many ways to go with season 3. Is it fall yet??

• Jack says:

Hey, that’s a great idea, the one about Nick knowing it was a trap and feigning being a zombie. I mean, all the pieces of the puzzle came together in the final episode, and Nick, the Captain and the spice shop gang should have been able to figure out what was up. In fact, Monroe even told Nick, “They’ve come for you!” For them to then walk so stupidly into an obvious trap ruined the season if not the entire series for me. I’ve been feeling like a member of that jury from “One Angry Fuchsbau” after the Ziegevolk’s spell had been broken. Even if your idea doesn’t come to pass, it at least gives me hope that the writers will come up an interesting twist to this otherwise blah finale. I feel so much better now. Thank you!

18. scott says:

love this show . i like a nick that acts and don’t think . but there is a Grimm that still around . his mom never got on the bus. mom to save the day..

19. john galt says:

Anyone else see that where Rosa Lee hid the key, there was foreign passports, documents and a bunch of cash…. it looked the same as what was found in Eric’s desk. Is it possible she’s undercover for the royals?

• Janelee says:

i av a fishy feeling bout rosalee though she’s been like da savior of da day to break spells n cure strange illnesses..she myt b workin undercover!!

• Misty says:

It’s more likely that the files are for Nick — he found a passport with his picture on it in the coffin he looked in during the season finale. A death certificate would make sense considering the Baron has just put him into a death-like state. And the travel papers would be necessary to ship Nick’s ‘body’ anywhere, for example back to the royals.

• Erin says:

I had been searching for someone else that noticed this as well. For me personally, I would find this “twist” in the plot a rather boring one. It wouldn’t be the first time that someone we all grow to love that is sweet and caring and always saves the day turns out to be undercover, working for the other side. And they are either A: truly in love with whoever they originally duped and had already switched sides, hoping they never get caught, or that their true identity comes to light. Or B: They are hating every minute with them, and their true personality turns out to be anything but the sweet and loving one we are all accustomed too.

In another interview Rosalee says some things that hints to trouble for her and Monroe, and hints about skeletons in the closet that are going to have to come to light.

Again, for me, it’s just been done too many times for something like this to happen for me to get any shock or entertainment out of it other than irritation.

Hopefully, I am wrong, and it will be something that surprises me, and not her working under cover for the royals.

• ecramer86 says:

I had been searching for someone else that noticed this as well. For me personally, I would find this “twist” in the plot a rather boring one. It wouldn’t be the first time that someone we all grow to love that is sweet and caring and always saves the day turns out to be undercover, working for the other side. And they are either A: truly in love with whoever they originally duped, and have already switched sides, hoping their true identity stays hidden. Or B: They are hating every minute with them, and their true personality turns out to be anything but the sweet and loving one we are all accustomed too.

Hopefully, I am wrong, and it will be something that surprises me. Not just Rosalee working for the Royals.

20. Janelee says:

i really dnt like juliette in season 2…..especially when nick was told by monroe after the spice shop incident!!!…

21. Janelee says:

i cnt wait for season 3!!!

22. Myra says:

Love this show. Esspecially is mom. She kicked butt. I hope she come back in Season 3 and kick some royal butt.

23. arianna says:

Love the show. Just started watching when season 2 premiered. The way they ended the season left it with so many possibilities. My only issue with the ending is if the royals (eric) want the key nick has then why turn him into a zombie and prepare to ship him off without the key. Maybe they will explain in season 3. And honestly if you don’t know by now they pretty much made it obvious the mother will return.

24. Surge Power says:

Few sources indicate that Juliette will get Hexenbiest powers instead of Adalind.

25. mozkee says:

a new girl for nick, please.. i find juliette boring..

26. dana says:

In speaking w/my daughter whom is also a fan of the show, we were thinking that maybe the royals know that Nick’s mother is alive and they are using Nick as bait to draw her out to destroy them both. Anyway we love!!!!!!! this show it just keeps us intrigued because you never know what’s going to happen next.

27. Amber says:

Really want to see season 3 does anyone know when its hittin the screens on free to air tv ??? really want to see what happens

28. Sylvia Klages says:

I just love this show! and I’m glad it’s still going strong. What I would like to see in season three is a lot more of Mama Grimm. She has done so much for Nick, and she loves him so powerfully and deeply. It would be great to see her play a big part in the continuing saga. By the way, whatever happened to those magical gold coins that Mama took off with?

Sylvia Klages